THE BROWNS BOARD

The Marketing Face of the Franchise

The Gipper

The discussion about Brady Quinn possibly being trade bait this offseason ignores one real important factor....at least an important factor in the mind of the guy that owns the team, Mr. Randy Lerner. That question is: Who is the "Marketing Face" of your franchise? If the Cavs are going to have LeBron and the Indians Grady Sizemore, I am sure that Lerner surmised that this team must have a comparable marketable personality....and the only real choice available to him was Brady Quinn. Thus unless they were going to be blown completely out of the water with an offer there was going to be no trade of BQ. If this team doesn't have Quinn who are they going to "sell" to the public? Wailin' Braylon Edwards? Nyet. Derrick Anderson if he were to win a QB competition? Too milktoast. Jamal Lewis? Too quiet, aloof, and hate to say it....old. Plus there was that coke dealing thing. Any defenders? Their best guy, Shaun Rogers went all soppy gravy because the coach didn't say boo to him. No other defenders are that good or well liked. No Hanford Dixons, Frank Minnifields or Michael Dean Perry in this bunch it would seem. Joe Thomas? Only if you like fishing shows. Their first round pick? A center? Hardly, though hopefully he, like Thomas will become an outstanding player.

Nope, the marketing face of the franchise must be Brady Quinn. The All American hometown boy from Notre Dame.

I mean, the only better choice would have been.... who? Insert your choice. Perhaps:

The Gipper

Guest AdaM
The discussion about Brady Quinn possibly being trade bait this offseason ignores one real important factor....at least an important factor in the mind of the guy that owns the team, Mr. Randy Lerner. That question is: Who is the "Marketing Face" of your franchise? If the Cavs are going to have LeBron and the Indians Grady Sizemore, I am sure that Lerner surmised that this team must have a comparable marketable personality....and the only real choice available to him was Brady Quinn. Thus unless they were going to be blown completely out of the water with an offer there was going to be no trade of BQ. If this team doesn't have Quinn who are they going to "sell" to the public? Wailin' Braylon Edwards? Nyet. Derrick Anderson if he were to win a QB competition? Too milktoast. Jamal Lewis? Too quiet, aloof, and hate to say it....old. Plus there was that coke dealing thing. Any defenders? Their best guy, Shaun Rogers went all soppy gravy because the coach didn't say boo to him. No other defenders are that good or well liked. No Hanford Dixons, Frank Minnifields or Michael Dean Perry in this bunch it would seem. Joe Thomas? Only if you like fishing shows. Their first round pick? A center? Hardly, though hopefully he, like Thomas will become an outstanding player.

Nope, the marketing face of the franchise must be Brady Quinn. The All American hometown boy from Notre Dame.

I mean, the only better choice would have been.... who? Insert your choice. Perhaps:

The Gipper

Pontbriand

COULD YOU BE MORE GAY?

How about the Colts dump Peyton since he's got a forehead like a beluga whale?

They can replace him with KEANU REEVES!

Guest AdaM
COULD YOU BE MORE GAY?

How about the Colts dump Peyton since he's got a forehead like a beluga whale?

They can replace him with KEANU REEVES!

Nothing you said made any sense at all. Nor is any of it relevant to what the OP said. Wow.

The Gipper

b

Please, please, please let's win one (or 11 or 12 ) for the Gipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great post.

The Gipper

The fact that Quinn ISN'T currently the "marketing face" of the franchise might say something. He's got the looks, the fans and the popularity, now all's he's got to do is manage to outplay the 32nd rated QB that the fans seem to hate... lots of work ahead of him.

I promise if we give him more than 3 games to accomplish that feat he will deliver.

If he's so good, and DA's so bad, it shouldn't take 3 games to deliver. During Preseason the management should change their names on their jerseys to Manson and Bundy, crap and turd, or something along those lines, and not tell the fans which is which, and let their play, not their names, get the fans and coaches attention.

You're missing the point tard'

1st round QB's get more than 3 games to prove their worth and prove they are the real deal.

I never said Quinn was going to end up as good as any of those guys, only that you cannot make an intelligent evaluation based on 3 f*cking games.

Please tell me you're not that stupid that you can't see this connection...

Don't waste your time, Inspecta. Chock-Full-of-DA's-Nuts is just Lums, pre-emergence from the closet.

He's not as ridiculous as Luvbergh in what he posts, but definitely has a very strong bias either pro-DA or anti-Queen.

There should be an emoticion(sp) to symbolize beating a dead horse.

People need to realize there is no prize for jacking up your post count with this lame, gone over, qb situatiuon.

Let it play out. How many more posts could possibly be made concerning DA-BQ?

Hell lets dig up some RAC threads and beat him down some more.

Guest c-dawg

People need to realize there is no prize for jacking up your post count with this lame, gone over, qb situatiuon.

Ask and ye shall receive!

Here is your new sig!

beatdeadhorse5.gif

You can argue that Brady isn't the "marketing" face, but if you ask anyone to name a player from the Browns, Brady's name will be the most well-known. I'd be willing to bet that at least 75% of the people you ask would give Quinn's name as the first one out of their mouths. Just because the Brown's marketing team hasn't jumped on it yet, doesn't mean that #10 isn't the face of the franchise. I just hope that he doesn't drop the ball on the field. I think he could be a very good QB, but as several people have stated, he needs more than 1 healthy start and 2 starts while injured to prove what he can do. Lums and others will continue to try and force DA's lame azz down our throats pointing to his 2007 (half of a) season. Oh well...I guess we'll just have to deal with them a little longer. They give us someone to laugh at. DA probably won't be in C-town much longer.

PS...Yes, the Cowboys did go 1-15 in Aikman's first season. That was the first year I started following them. I am a Browns fan 1st and the Cowboys are my NFC team. Has been that way since then. I will always choose my Brownies over Dallas, though.

The fact that Quinn ISN'T currently the "marketing face" of the franchise might say something. He's got the looks, the fans and the popularity, now all's he's got to do is manage to outplay the 32nd rated QB that the fans seem to hate... lots of work ahead of him.

Well, as we all know, BQ was kept out of action his rookie season on purpose, and when DA did so well in 2007 he had to be the QB starting out 2008. But when he cacked, they finally put BQ in there. But he only played, what? 2 1/2 games before getting injured? Yes, BQ has to prove he can be the man, the QB on this team. I expect him to do so, and would obviously be highly disappointed if he didn't.

I don't know if you were talking to me, but I believe I had a fresh take on the subject in regard to the "face of the franchise for marketing purposes" issue. I felt this is/was an important factor wherein the Browns were contemplating making a trade of one of their QBs. If they trade Quinn whose freeking jersey are they gonna sell to the public? And despite one posters support for the guy, it ain't going to be Ryan Pontbriand (even though he really is a valuable member of this team)

The strange thing with marketing is you usually don't pick the face. The face is earned.

At this point, we don't have that face.

I agree that he SHOULD earn it, but in the face of desperation by a franchise often the mantle of the face of a franchise is thrust upon someone long before they have actually accomplished anything. This is often the case with QBs drafted in the first round. It happened here to Tim Couch. Jamarcus Russell is another example. And many others.

surprised there's no durability concerns....2.5 games?

oh wait, thats the OL lines fault.....gottcha.

I don't think there is a general durability concern. Quinn didn't lose a lot of time in college to injuries. It isn't like the concerns surrounding say, Beanie Wells, who had constant problems in college. And injury can happen to anyone. Here Quinn busted a finger on a helmet making a throw. That has happened to many a QB. Including if I am not mistaken to Bernie Kosar

I agree that he SHOULD earn it, but in the face of desperation by a franchise often the mantle of the face of a franchise is thrust upon someone long before they have actually accomplished anything. This is often the case with QBs drafted in the first round. It happened here to Tim Couch. Jamarcus Russell is another example. And many others.

No disagreement. I think BQ had that, but has lost it since.....you don't see the flood of BQ commercials like you did a year or more ago.

Doesn't mean he can't get it back.

Guest c-dawg
I don't know if you were talking to me, but I believe I had a fresh take on the subject in regard to the "face of the franchise for marketing purposes" issue.

Hey Gip, I don't think they were talking to you. I think they were referring to the BQ/DA debate theat keeps sprouting up like mushrooms everywhere.

You bring up a good point I think, which of our jerseys are we gonna feature in the NFL catalog and all that. Do we have a name to throw in the with the "LTs" and "Mannings" for recognition at that league level?

I think your point has merit if only because I have never seen so much marketing and so many endorsements for someone (BQ) who has mostly ridden the pine to date. Of course I do agree we others that BQ must prove it to earn it but he certainly already has a leg up.

Well, as we all know, BQ was kept out of action his rookie season on purpose, and when DA did so well in 2007 he had to be the QB starting out 2008. But when he cacked, they finally put BQ in there. But he only played, what? 2 1/2 games before getting injured? Yes, BQ has to prove he can be the man, the QB on this team. I expect him to do so, and would obviously be highly disappointed if he didn't.

I agree no qb should get a free ticket to start BQ included and DA should have had to compete last year to start but they chose to sit bq out yet again in favor of a 6th round pick with a bazooka for an arm and mush for a brain..I anticipate bq will blow DA on out the door..it will be more to do with the type of system gameplan execution and offensive leadership then DAs actual skills..

But lets talk real marketing disaster...what if DA won the competition and gets the start?

And then becomes his usual self and causes the club to lose...its unthinkable what the ramifications for lerner and mancock would be....;)

Archived