THE BROWNS BOARD

People actually think we are 'rebuilding'?

naptimeyeller

This is not a rebuilding year! Who have we dumped off with any known value other than Winslow, Kevvy(maybe), and Jones? That happens on teams that aren't rebuilding at all. Who else? Dorsey!? Cousins!? Davis!? And DA might go, big deal. Trust me we can find more sucky players to replace sucky players if it comes to that. I think if Savage had stayed he might have made similar decisions. Do you think Savage would have kept Winslow after their lovefest gone wrong? I don't. Think there might be a reason that Savage didn't resign Jones before his contract expired? I do. This is all shit that would have happened no matter who walked through the door with half a brain. Do people not realize how different it was when Savage came to town opposed to Kok? The roster changed almost daily. That hasn't happened! Atleast not yet!

Obviously, Mangini is expecting something good from this team in the near future or we would have been sitting with a whole lot more draft picks than we were on draft day by dealing or cutting away all the crap he didn't want. I don't expect the playoffs and a superbowl this year, but I sure as hell don't expect last season all over again! We are used to seeing the new FO cut or trade players and then draft their replacement. In this case they may actually stay as backups or even still remain starters. Again, happens on winning teams all the time. That sounds nothing like rebuilding to me. This team needed a new direction more than raw talent and ability. Remember Mangini's first year in NY? Its not out of the question.

So everyone out there who thinks we are rebuilding can save it for Denver!!

We are rebuilding alittle bit. We have added like 6 or so Jets players and 8 or 9 draft picks. Most of the jets will start on this team, except Rattlif. 3 or 4 rookies will be starting this year. So yeah we did rebuild this year, but the great thing is, we have depth all over the field now. If someone goes down we wont be to screwed, well except if JT goes then we are screwed, but overall we look like a solid team. If the AFC north wasn't so tough we could make the playoffs. It is going to be a battle this year. Who ever wins 10 games will win the division.

We are rebuilding alittle bit. We have added like 6 or so Jets players and 8 or 9 draft picks. Most of the jets will start on this team, except Rattlif. 3 or 4 rookies will be starting this year. So yeah we did rebuild this year, but the great thing is, we have depth all over the field now. If someone goes down we wont be to screwed, well except if JT goes then we are screwed, but overall we look like a solid team. If the AFC north wasn't so tough we could make the playoffs. It is going to be a battle this year. Who ever wins 10 games will win the division.

It seems more like molding than rebuilding to me. We still have most of the old faces and obviously some new ones, but this isn't like the usual team of mostly new faces. Hell even the Stoolers are going to have newly drafted players.

But I'm with you that if healthy this team can win more games than expected, I just don't expect it.....more like hope!

But I'm with you that if healthy this team can win more games than expected, I just don't expect it.....more like hope!

I am expecting and hoping for more wins if they stay healthy, as you stated. This schedule is set up to win three or four more games.

When you consider Coleman, Barton, Bowens, Elam and Veikune and that all of these guys should get major playing time or possibly start. That has to be considered rebuilding. At least the defense. Thank goodness they did.

I like the way Mangini is molding together the guys on our D he actually likes -- Jackson, Rogers, Williams, Wimbley, Hall, McDonald, Wright, and Pool -- with a bunch of solid Jets players who know his defense -- Bowens, Barton, Coleman, Mosley, and Elam. It's a prescription for NOT rebuilding if you ask me. Toss in Veikune for good measure.

I believe it was mentioned that on defense he has brought in people he trusts with work ethic and knowledge of what he wants to do. He will have a couple of his former players in every film room and meeting with the position coaches. Coleman and Mosley with the DL guys, Barton and Bowens with LBs and Elam and Poteat with the DBs.

That isn't rebuilding, it's restructuring and adding depth and experience. Guys to help the rookies and guys to show the vets what is expected of them. Also, Bowens, who was captain of their special teams and Elam who was a big contributor on special teams.

I believe it was mentioned that on defense he has brought in people he trusts with work ethic and knowledge of what he wants to do. He will have a couple of his former players in every film room and meeting with the position coaches. Coleman and Mosley with the DL guys, Barton and Bowens with LBs and Elam and Poteat with the DBs.

That isn't rebuilding, it's restructuring and adding depth and experience. Guys to help the rookies and guys to show the vets what is expected of them. Also, Bowens, who was captain of their special teams and Elam who was a big contributor on special teams.

Well said. This will be an interesting year, & it's nice to see some depth. We are all actually guessing who will start at various positions...Last year, there was only ONE choice with no viable backup.

Mike

Sorry to inform you, we have been rebuilding since the 64 season ended.

I will agree this go around we haven't had to demolish the entire project.

Well said. This will be an interesting year, & it's nice to see some depth. We are all actually guessing who will start at various positions...Last year, there was only ONE choice with no viable backup.

Mike

Knowing that injuries are a part of NFL life and they will happen, it is nice to see some depth and players with versitility.

How can we be rebuilding since we haven't built the entire house since our return?

I consider this more like a house that was partially built but never finished. Mangini has taken the job to add in the pieces necessary and Mack was the final piece to the foundation.

How can we be rebuilding since we haven't built the entire house since our return?

I consider this more like a house that was partially built but never finished. Mangini has taken the job to add in the pieces necessary and Mack was the final piece to the foundation.

The analogy is great and I agree that Mack is an improtant piece of the foundation but that foundation may not be quite complete. I don't know if you could ever say it is done because of age, injuries and free agency. The foundation to me would be Premier Center and LT, a solid QB, RB and a #1 WR. On defense, strength up the middle NT or DTs, ILB, and top safety. On top of that a premier pass rusher and a solid corners.

We are close. Hard to tell about this years draft until they suit up, but another solid draft to replace some of the stopgaps like RB, ILB and RT. The biggest block in the foundation is the QB and we still don't know there. Hopefully we have Quinn that can step up and be a franchise QB and some young guys develop into foundation blocks.

I sure like this FO wanting to build through the draft instead of trying to build a foundation through FA.

This is not a rebuilding year! ...

So everyone out there who thinks we are rebuilding can save it for Denver!!

Please man, be reasonable. After a 4-12 season, even if we haven't dumped a bunch of people it's not unreasonable to consider this a rebuilding year. We have a starting quarterback that still has a lot to prove, we have only one established WR who has either lead or been in the running for most dropped passes in the league the past two years, we have a new center, we're missing winslow, joe j, and stallworth. Not to mention how pathetic and non-existent last years offense was at the end of the season. Let's all let the Cleveland shaped chips on our shoulders heal, ignore the skeptics, and root hard for our team. Getting indignant over misguided (but not entirely lacking merit) criticisms doesn't make the team win.

Please man, be reasonable. After a 4-12 season, even if we haven't dumped a bunch of people it's not unreasonable to consider this a rebuilding year. We have a starting quarterback that still has a lot to prove, we have only one established WR who has either lead or been in the running for most dropped passes in the league the past two years, we have a new center, we're missing winslow, joe j, and stallworth. Not to mention how pathetic and non-existent last years offense was at the end of the season. Let's all let the Cleveland shaped chips on our shoulders heal, ignore the skeptics, and root hard for our team. Getting indignant over misguided (but not entirely lacking merit) criticisms doesn't make the team win.

Nailed it dear Sir

it is simple: we are not rebuilding. in order to be rebuilding we have to have something to rebuild. we have only had two winning seasons since coming back and only been to the playoffs once. there aren't any "glory days" to return to in recent years. we are simply building.

No doubt that a lot of things that could go wrong or stack against us.....did.

At some point the odds have to even out. Add that to a deeper roster and new coach(a biggie IMO), we should show marked improvement.

We may not be a last to first story, but I think it is possible we win 10 and then go from there.

Even if nothing changed from last year, same coach, no new players, I think we would have improved 2-3 games...maybe more. Add in those other X factors and we can add 1-2-3 more.

I here what some of you are saying about we never had anything to rebuild in the first place. Absolutely nothing untrue about that statement.....makes sense. I just think rebuilding is the complete wrong term for what the Browns are doing. Bringing some guys over from another system you were just in doesn't mean you are blowing up the roster. It just means you are trying to make a smoother transition. If you take away the guys we got from the Jets, we did nothing different than the Stoolers, the Pats, the Bolts, the Colts, or any other winning team. So for me, the term that makes most sense is 'transitioning' rather than 'rebuilding'. But we will find out soon enough what they are really doing.

Sorry dude, I didn't think I was coming across as indignant and unreasonable. I know what they are trying to say when they say rebuilding, but its just not rebuilding IMO.

Sorry dude, I didn't think I was coming across as indignant and unreasonable. I know what they are trying to say when they say rebuilding, but its just not rebuilding IMO.

Hey no worries. My homer-meter is extra sensitive after last year's implosion. I wouldn't say I'm distrutstful of optimism, but I could definitely consider myself wary of it...here's hoping for the best though.

Archived