THE BROWNS BOARD

"Browns' hierarchy seems to prefer Derek Anderson over fan-favorite Brady Quinn"

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9566076...les-are-brewing

BROWNS: Derek Anderson vs. Brady Quinn

There is no question that the new Browns' hierarchy seems to prefer Derek Anderson over fan-favorite Brady Quinn, despite the front office unwillingness to trade the Notre Dame kid prior to last month's draft. And what kind of a mixed signal is that for Quinn? They want him, but they don't want him!

This competition figures to intensify once training-camp practices are open to the public. Coaches will be charting every throw in practices and in preseason games. But coach Eric Mangini has plenty of experience at running a quarterback circus from his three New York summers, therefore this Anderson-Quinn battle should be a piece of cake for him. Just imagine, going from Brett Favre to this?

Czar's QB prediction: In the end, Quinn should end up the starter if this will be decided in training camp workouts, because Anderson has never been a great practice player.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AdaM
Actually, Anderson always looks awesome in practice when the pads are off and he can't be hit.

I like how this article states that its obvious, yet provides not a single minute shred of evidence.

There is no question that the new Browns' hierarchy seems to prefer Derek Anderson over fan-favorite Brady Quinn,

I don't get these idiot writers. First they say there is 'no question' only to later imply it 'seems' they prefer. Which is it a$$hole? Talking out both sides of your mouth - and your a$$ - is a requirement for writers these days.

This Idiot has a poll to go along with his article, This guy is purely a carpet bagger stirring up trouble trying to capture some noteriety from Mangini being new to Cleveland. Of course mangini is going to push every position. Only an idiot like RAC wouldn't do a thing like that. Check out this guys quote below from his article.

But coach Eric Mangini has plenty of experience at running a quarterback circus from his three New York summers, therefore this Anderson-Quinn battle should be a piece of cake for him. Just imagine, going from Brett Favre to this?

Favre cost Mangini his job, and the Jets playoff hopes.(sound familiar?) Yet Favre will go down as one of the greatest from GB. Just had a thought GB dosn't mind the gun slinger menatality that throws INT. after INT. Do they wanna make at rade?

Foxsportspoll.gif

I don't get these idiot writers. First they say there is 'no question' only to later imply it 'seems' they prefer. Which is it a$$hole? Talking out both sides of your mouth - and your a$$ - is a requirement for writers these days.

What it is is just another writer spewing BS & gossip. I'm at the point with these folks that unless the source is named & quoted, I believe nothing they write. I can't believe they PAY these people for making up crap a Jr High School student could.

Mike

IMO you ALWAYS give a 1st round draft choice the chance to prove himself in game conditions... This means him starting with the first unit for multiple games...

The popular opinion on this board is that RAC was an idiot, RAC was a doughnut eating baffoon, RAC was merely a coffee fetcher for other great coaches

However in reality, RAC is a highly respected football coach throughout the NFL and has more football knowledge than most monday morning QB's and fanatsy league players... This man has made a living in professional football and I would venture to guess he was paid way above minimum wage... He was put into a situation where he could not win, Vince Lombardi or Paul Brown would not have done better with all the circumstances considered... When healthy, RAC will once again surface in the NFL... Chances are it wont be as a head coach but does that justify all the venom being spewed forth at him just because he couldn't get it done as the Head Coach of the Cleveland Browns????

For whatever reason, during the past few years, Brady Quinn could not beat out Derek Anderson and was relugated to clipboard duty as a result... This was so because football people made football decisions based on what they saw, regardless of the fact that most fans want to see what we have in Quinn... Do you think for a minute that the coaches would risk losing their high paid jobs by playing an inferior player???? They must have seen something to convince them that Anderson gave them the best chance to win...

With all that said, however, I want to see what we invested a 1st round pick in by playing the kid... By his draft choice selection he deserves a chance to lose his job on the field rather than on the practice field.... I'm just not going to blindly predict that he is the one to lead us to the promised land based on where he played college ball, his marketability, his level of play in preseason against 3rd stringers, his level of play in 1 regular season game or whatever biased reasons used to justify these opinions...

As a life long Browns fan (and I'll continue to be a Browns fan long after Quinn & Anderson are gone from the Cleveland scene, God willing that is) I want whats best for my team and I can only trust those in charge to make the right choice..

Thats the way I see it and by the way, the real Drive Assasin last year was Braylon Edwards---he sucked the life out of the team.....

T.Dawg

:lol: The arguments of "sourced" findings when a journalist writes against a pro BQ stance...... Yet of course that does not apply when the Articles Shep and company post when they are pro BQ.

It really does not matter we will find out after preseason. IF BQ is passed over again then that will be pretty conclusive, my hunch is he still has the 10% edge affoding by his draft position and Fan PR bonus. 60/40 BQ starts.

Regardless which way the coach may be leaning, they will not rule out the other QB, publicly atleast, BECAUSE they want VALUE from whatever team would trade for them.

If you say one QB is inferior, and won't be starting, your compensation offers will be lower if not eliminated.

I still agree with Inspecta, that we need another team to have a pre-season QB injury to move DA. one of our QBs to get compensation.

Yea because they are all 60 yard bombs. His scorching swing passes have yet to be seen by ManKok

I've been reading here for two years that the entire league has watched DA on film and knows his weaknesses and therefore can defend him... apparently "ManKok" if the laziest coach in the NFL, doesn't even watch tape of the players he's inheriting, if you are correct.

I've been reading here for two years that the entire league has watched DA on film and knows his weaknesses and therefore can defend him... apparently "ManKok" if the laziest coach in the NFL, doesn't even watch tape of the players he's inheriting, if you are correct.

Drunky have you ever really tried to meet DA? I'm not sure where you live out in the land of the Merry Pranksters but is it possible for you to go to Scapoose and maybe locate some family members there? What you should do is head into town and stay casual you know. Maybe hit up the local barbershops and hardware stores, ask around about DA and if he ever gets back home, but keep it cool. Strike up friendly conversations with them and of course let it be known that you're a big fan, but I wouldn't divulge much more than that.

Sooner or later someone will slip and say "oh yeah, the Anderson's live right over on Main and South Street." That's your in, at that point you can get an up close view of DA's house where he grew up at. Maybe hang out until one of the family comes out to get the mail and nonchalantly walk by and ask how DA is doing. Hell, you never know, I'm sure the Anderson's are nice people and they just might invite you in for coffee or something..... maybe even give you a household tour where you can see DA's old room. Prolly wouldn't do any good to sniff the sheets though, he hasn't slept there in years I would imagine.

Since this is an opinion piece, rather than a "news" piece, I have no problem dissing the source.

If any of you are avid Rotoworld readers (like me), you'd know of often the "Czar" gets it right. Hint: never.

This bodes well for Quinn.

Inspecta I totally agree with your take on RAC for what ever reason he wasn't allowed to hire his own people...

Our D coordinator last year, Tucker, was an excellent defensive backs coach as he made silk purses out of a few sows ears during his tenure.. He was in over his head running the whole shebang and the end result was that our D backs suffered and the defense as a whole was not very consistant... To cover one hole we created two... Where would the steelers be without LeBeau???? At least Mangini is bringing in coordinators with some grit in their gut...

As a fan and a financial supporter of this organization I hope to hell the issue of wanting to TANK last season is nowhere near the truth... I find it hard to believe that BILLIONAIRE Randy Lerner would be that overly concerned with a few MILLION when it comes to the success of his franchise, his investment, his legacy..... It doesn't make sense... I realize that it was his dad that had the passion for the game but usually the apple doesn't fall that far from the tree...I remember camps under the Model regime and Randy Lerner was out on the field doing ball boy stuff..Al was a friend and investor with Art and attended games and practices regulary, Randy was there quite often and may have had a summer job with the team

The Quinn era has been totally mismanaged... I have no idea who was calling the shots but I tend to believe it was Savage who was trying to build a resume.... Quinn should have had multiple games to show his value... He needed to be thrown into the frey while his teammates were healthy, at the beginning of the season before we were in dire straits and scrambling to stay alive...

Anderson was hurt at the start of the season and should have been benched for medical reasons... Hand the ball to the rookie and lets get er done... de ja vu Bernie, he came in when the vet went down... Nobody is held liable if the season falls apart but you're a genius if it works.... Was Quinn that bad by their assesment????

As a result we've been debating the QB issue for 2 years, we've even become emotionally affected by the lack of a clear cut winner.... It's an issue that seems to go on like the flick groundhawg(?) day...We should have had an answer to this riddle by now.... Once again, as fans and financial supportes we deserve it.....

T.Dawg

Drunky have you ever really tried to meet DA? I'm not sure where you live out in the land of the Merry Pranksters but is it possible for you to go to Scapoose and maybe locate some family members there? What you should do is head into town and stay casual you know. Maybe hit up the local barbershops and hardware stores, ask around about DA and if he ever gets back home, but keep it cool. Strike up friendly conversations with them and of course let it be known that you're a big fan, but I wouldn't divulge much more than that.

Sooner or later someone will slip and say "oh yeah, the Anderson's live right over on Main and South Street." That's your in, at that point you can get an up close view of DA's house where he grew up at. Maybe hang out until one of the family comes out to get the mail and nonchalantly walk by and ask how DA is doing. Hell, you never know, I'm sure the Anderson's are nice people and they just might invite you in for coffee or something..... maybe even give you a household tour where you can see DA's old room. Prolly wouldn't do any good to sniff the sheets though, he hasn't slept there in years I would imagine.

Thankyou for the unusual post.

Never been to Scappoose, don't really care to. I live a few thousand miles from there.

and never is a funny word for a guy with only 1.5 preseasons under his belt. He's never shared first team reps, etc.

He didn't share them, he got them all for about half of last preseason.... or did the first team stop practicing when DA was down for a few weeks?

Why do I have this feeling that if the headline read "Browns' hierarchy seems to prefer fan-favorite Brady Quinn" many of you would have no problem with this article at all? :lol:

They're wigging out over the possibility that yet another staff might feel DA's the better QB. Maybe there's some blatant homer-sexualism over "local" kids.

That said... OBR continues to say that Anderson has his fans within the new regime, guys who still believe he'll be a better quarterback than Quinn. It would appear that Quinn has more fans -- hence the refusal to trade him even for a #1 -- but Anderson has fans.

Anderson does have fans, and they're called teammates. The coach is no dummy.

Anderson does have fans, and they're called teammates. The coach is no dummy.

I think you are right. I think Brady hasn't exactly been accepted at this point.

That doesn't mean he can't or won't, but at this point I think there is something about the guy most of the players don't like as evidenced by him getting punched in the mouth.

I just can't see that as a one time thing that caused that. My feeling is some things had been brewing for a while before that happened.

Possibly BQ is trying a bit to hard to make it "his" team??

Here we go again with the DA versus BQ thing again.

If the coaching staff really thinks DA is the better option, then we need a QB. Anderson WILL NOT win a championship. He doesn't have it. He's topped out. His ceiling is well known.

I could care less about Quinn, other than he represents the potential for an upgrade at the QB position.

(So, we're back to Shep's point: if we had good offers for Quinn AND were convinced DA was our guy..... we would have traded Quinn.)

Gotta love how you old dawgs are stirring the pot, it's really sweet of ya. We've got Peens going with the "I have absolutely no proof whatsoever but I'm saying DA has the locker room since the fat Team Jester took a stupid sucker punch at him" card. Roach calling out fans for wanting to see a number one draft pick who happened to grow up in Columbus. Plus, claiming teammates are on the side of DA although the only recent comments were made by Winslow saying BQ should be the man.

All this over some moron writing a blog based on his opinion in which he contradicts himself.

Love you guys, you really know how to keep things hopping while Satn isn't around. It won't be funny for most of us Browns fans, but if somehow the scenario works out that we have to go through another season of watching DA start at QB, I hope you guys are happy. Plus. we'll be able to see more of the love the teammates have for him when they are throwing their hands up and shaking their heads in disgust at DA's accuracy and decisions er indecisions.

A Smith comment about punching BQ here:

Gotta love how you old dawgs are stirring the pot, it's really sweet of ya. We've got Peens going with the "I have absolutely no proof whatsoever but I'm saying DA has the locker room since the fat Team Jester took a stupid sucker punch at him" card. Roach calling out fans for wanting to see a number one draft pick who happened to grow up in Columbus. Plus, claiming teammates are on the side of DA although the only recent comments were made by Winslow saying BQ should be the man.

Winslow? Who's Winslow? Is that the guy that used to play tight-end for us?

DA was a shanked Dawson FG from going 11-4. If he didn't have the locker room, he'd be gone. Deal with it.

Winslow? Who's Winslow? Is that the guy that used to play tight-end for us?

DA was a shanked Dawson FG from going 11-4. If he didn't have the locker room, he'd be gone. Deal with it.

Your attempt at condescension fails and so do you Roach, your whole point is stupid and asinine.

Winslow commented because he could, but you can't name anybody who has sided with DA. There is no doubt he probably has backers on the team that are his boys, find me a team where that is not the case.

He'd be gone if he could garner more than a box of cracker jacks, so deal with that.

How long does DA have to suck ass for you guys to want another QB? Two more years....three....you boys have made your mind up that for whatever reason you don't like Quinn and will accept DA for all his misgivings. I have come to the conclusion that when guys pull out the "local boy" card with Quinn and avoid all the other issues that they are nothing but DA lovers, but usually they are from Oregon somewhere. We'll see how jumping for joy you guys are when DA is being DA again. I'm sure you'll remind all of us gay Queen lovers that DA is the shit because he could have went 11-4 or something.

Your attempt at condescension fails and so do you Roach, your whole point is stupid and asinine.

Sorry Riffer. If Quinn beats out DA, he'll have my 100% support. Unfortunately, you can't say the same thing about DA. To me, that is a sad situation.

Best regards,

Stupid and Assinine

It isn't about stirring the pot or wanting DA.

He does have the locker room from what I gather. He isn't the guy who got punched in the mouth.

I don't know if you have played team sports ...I assume some anyway.

You don't go from no problem to getting punched in the face at the drop of a hat.

From my experience, those things have usually brewed for a while until it finally spills over. Sorry, that is just how it works. Quinn wasn't just sitting there, all of a sudden says something and gets punched. There had to be more to it than that...I don't care how anybody wants to paint it.

As Roach said, I also can support whoever gets the job. I have a feeling you and others can't, and as he said, that is a sad situation.

Sorry Riffer. If Quinn beats out DA, he'll have my 100% support. Unfortunately, you can't say the same thing about DA. To me, that is a sad situation.

Best regards,

Stupid and Assinine

Well, since I have never ever rooted against my QB, including last year when I wanted to trade DA when we could get something for him, I doubt I'll start now.

Another stupid and asinine comment Roach, you're piling them up.

It isn't about stirring the pot or wanting DA.

He does have the locker room from what I gather. He isn't the guy who got punched in the mouth.

I don't know if you have played team sports ...I assume some anyway.

You don't go from no problem to getting punched in the face at the drop of a hat.

From my experience, those things have usually brewed for a while until it finally spills over. Sorry, that is just how it works. Quinn wasn't just sitting there, all of a sudden says something and gets punched. There had to be more to it than that...I don't care how anybody wants to paint it.

As Roach said, I also can support whoever gets the job. I have a feeling you and others can't, and as he said, that is a sad situation.

Peens just admit you love the Roachster cuz he's an older gentleman like yourself and you agree with some of his postings here where he goes against the grain.

Now on to your post. First off, I played football, basketball and baseball at a high level in HS. I also was a 19D10 Cavalry Recon Scout in the Army and a road construction foreman for years until a hip replacement forced me to change careers, so it's possible I may know a thing or two about working with a team.

What I ask from you or Roach is to back up your comments that DA has the locker room over Quinn. Right now you have zero cred basing a sucker punch from the fat team jester as your main resource, whereas I have the team's former superstar TE (who was supposed to be boys with DA) saying the Browns should go with Queen. I'll be waiting for some kind of proof other than Shaun Smith taking offense to something. That stuff happens in locker rooms all the time but doesn't get reported. Ever think that Smith is just a dumbass bully? Face it, it's all conjecture on your part but if someone doesn't agree with you they are immediately a Queen queer who won't back another QB.

You guys are the types that say you will back Quinn, but if he does get the job you'll be right on his nuts the minute he screws up talking up DA again, which is another reason a lot of us want him gone. I assume Mancock does too, hence making sure they got Ratliff in the trade.

If only Dexter could garner a free Pizza deliverd from Donatos.

Archived