THE BROWNS BOARD

"Browns' hierarchy seems to prefer Derek Anderson over fan-favorite Brady Quinn"

Riff, admittedly I haven't been on the board for the past year and I'm slowly catching up with all the banter that goes on here at the best message board in the nation---THE BROWNS BOARD...

Whats amazing to me is, while I took my sabaticle (sic) last June I did pop back on briefly toward the end of the season and it was like a soap opera... When I was a touring musician, soap operas were a staple, in that, you could miss a week or two of shows but you could get right back into the mix of things just by viewing one current show... The same seemed to apply to this board... Miss almost an entire season but when you get back it's the same ol' same ol'----Anderson vs Quinn debate......

Last season I had to be the luckiest Browns fan in the world.... I missed the entire season except for 1 quarter of the Giants game, both in the regular season and in the preseason.... I guess I must have seen the best of DA.... I did go to Berera multiple times in the summer of 2007 and to be quite truthful DA impressed the bejebbers out of me... That arm is something special... IMO its one of the best arms I've ever seen in the NFL....

Admittedly I'm a fan of DA's, I like the kid but can be quite objective toward both the good and bad in his game... On the other hand I thought that last years O cooridinator was one of the worst this organization has ever had.... When my then, nine year old grandson could predict the play that was about to be run it says volumes for the man actually calling the plays... The league didn't get a book on DA it got a book on Chud's play calling tendancies and he didn't let the league down.... When you know what play is coming chances are you'll be able to defend it quite well..... The worst player in the league was probably an All American in college and they all can play the game....

On the other hand I guess I'm old school, in that, when you draft a player in the 1st round logical thinking is that you give him every opportunity to lose the job on the field, not in practice... Quinn should have started last year in the 1st game of the season... With the concussion, DA was not at the top of his game and was a detriment to the team... Whoever called that shot should have been fired and in retrospect, he was....

What I see in Quinn is a player that can manage the game, someone who'll need multiple plays but will move the team toward the end zone and put the team in a position to score... I don't see a QB that will light it up, having big strike abilities that change the complexion of a game... I see that capability in Anderson

Although I like Anderson I still want to see Quinn in a meaningful game environment.... I want to see what he does against those damn Steelers because with the exception of Couch (speaking of the new Browns that is) we haven't had a QB that could beat them... I like Quinns atheleticism (is that a word??) he seems more fluid than DA and seems to have that certain something that all great QB's posses... The main problem is that I haven't seen enough of him to either annoint him the starter or kick him to the curb....

I'm sorry Shep, I strongly disagree with your statement that Quinn never had the chance to compete.... He was in camp for multiple seasons... Although Anderson was named the starter, Quinn was still competing for playing time and couldn't unseat DA... If the staff thought Quinn had something, wouldn't they have inserted him in the game in the 3rd or 4th quarter when Anderson was performing poorly???? Wouldn't the players have voiced their opinion when the season was going south???? Wouldn't the players have come to his defense, both vocally & physically, when Quinn got bitch slapped in the locker room????

respectfully;

T.Dawg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Masters
Which 1/2 season do you speak of?

Was it the first half of the season with 5 multi-passing-TD games and 5 wins?

Or was it the second half of the season with 5 multi-passing-TD games and 5 wins?

Ah, how you leave out the multiple INT games.

Shep I stand by what I said, Quinn couldn't beat out DA, if he showed more he would have played more...

If I remember correctly, when Quinn was drafted Savage stated that we were going to do it the right way with him.. They were gonna go a la Carson Palmer and let him sit and watch the 1st year... However he did participate in every practice, every time he went under center he was competing... Thats the way it is in football camps... He's been through 2 summer camps & 2 offseason workouts.... For what ever reason he couldn't convince the staff that he deserved to start...

However, I think you're somewhat biased in your preference for Quinn... If I remember correctly (once again), when we drafted Thomas with our 1st pick didn't you rant that you were now an Arizona Cardnials fan because we bypassed Quinn???

I feel Quinn had an adequate opportunity to impress the former staff and he didn't do it... That staff is long gone and maybe it's because they didn't see the potential that Quinn had to offer... He now has the same opportunity with the new regime, maybe he will amp up his game to the point that he'll become our starter....

My point is, these guys are competing as soon as the put on their jock strap.... Every aspect of practices are taped and reviewed by the staff... If a player seems head and shoulders above another, usually he gets the nod...

I'm in agreement that Quinn has been mismanaged, not only by the former staff but also by his agent.... I'd like to see him on the field with the 1st unit and let the chips fall where they may... I'm just not ready to mortgage the farm on him cause I aint seen nothing yet but potential......

respectfully,

T.Dawg

As some of you know, I'm a Realtor in Fort Lauderdale.

I just heard, BQ just bought a house down here this week.

My company also has Tim Couch's condo listing (for sale) here.

but how can he be in Fort Lauderdale when we all know he spends 24 hrs a day in the weight room and/or film room?

Glad you asked...it was bought "for him". Other people were down here looking (previewing our properties & others) and taking pictures for him.

We never saw him, we just knew it was for a "high profile" person. I found out it was for him, from his Realtor, about an hour ago.

Fact :)

---------------------------

Hopefully it's just a vacation home!

I'm a fan of "the staff knows best".

However, Tdawg's argument is faulty: the coaching/GM staff that apparently felt DA was better was unceremoniously fired. They failed. Utterly.

So, how we could use any of the prior regime's thinking on personnel is beyond me (QB's, Andra Davis, Shaffer, McGinnest, etc.).

I'm a fan of "the staff knows best".

However, Tdawg's argument is faulty: the coaching/GM staff that apparently felt DA was better was unceremoniously fired. They failed. Utterly.

So, how we could use any of the prior regime's thinking on personnel is beyond me (QB's, Andra Davis, Shaffer, McGinnest, etc.).

I'm still flabbergasted that those guys put so much stock in DA after that freakish half year against rancid defenses. They couldn't see the things we saw and at least have concerns? Instead, they just guaranteed him the starting job when he signed the contract.

It baffles me that a guy like Anderson who has such obvious flaws got a free pass based on potential because of his arm and the ability to stretch defenses. There is so much more to QBing effectively in the NFL than having a big arm, and DA has none of those other attributes.

Even with the cockpit he had in 2007 he was still a big liability at times, especially keeping drives alive when we had the lead. Sometimes I think we give these so called experts too much credit when they can't see what the average fan sees.

I'm still pissed off at how this franchise has handled this whole situation. DA had the job handed to him last year so it's only fair to let Quinn get the first team reps and get his shot.

I'm still flabbergasted that those guys put so much stock in DA after that freakish half year against rancid defenses. They couldn't see the things we saw and at least have concerns? Instead, they just guaranteed him the starting job when he signed the contract.

It baffles me that a guy like Anderson who has such obvious flaws got a free pass based on potential because of his arm and the ability to stretch defenses. There is so much more to QBing effectively in the NFL than having a big arm, and DA has none of those other attributes.

Even with the cockpit he had in 2007 he was still a big liability at times, especially keeping drives alive when we had the lead. Sometimes I think we give these so called experts too much credit when they can't see what the average fan sees.

I'm still pissed off at how this franchise has handled this whole situation. DA had the job handed to him last year so it's only fair to let Quinn get the first team reps and get his shot.

You bring up a great point, heads should have rolled after the collapse of 2007 but the RAC mentality only rewarded it with a free pass. Hindsight sucks!

Dan, was that 'Down Here' as in Ft Lauderdale, or 'down here' as in 'someplace in Florida'?

In the Fort Lauderdale area. BQ didn't buy one of our properties but speaking to his agent she said he did buy a house so I assume it is in Fort Lauderdale Florida or a close community to Fort Lauderdale. Usually the farthest agents go when they look at property here, it can be as far north as Boca Raton or as far south as Miami. My bet is Fort Lauderdale though.

I sincerely doubt that the new brass favors Derek Anderson, the lowest rated passer in pro football last year, over Brady Quinn, the guy they wouldn't trade for a first round pick.

Come on. Unless you think they're psychotic, they'll start Quinn.

unless they're psychotic they'd also notice that Quinn's rating wasn't any better than Anderson's. Against worse teams. Try again dreamer.

Lum, the hell is your problem? I've been pulling for DA too, but you've gotta be blind if you can't see that Quinn is going to start. I mean, how do you turn down two offers w/ first round picks for a guy you don't intend to start. It just doesn't make sense. Like, where the hell did this story even come from. It just seems a bunch like us having interest in Sanchez. It sounds like we're trying to build him up and sell him.

unless they're psychotic they'd also notice that Quinn's rating wasn't any better than Anderson's. Against worse teams. Try again dreamer.

Only the psychotic would think Quinn's rating matters. He doesn't have the numbers to conclude anything. Quinn's numbers are meaningless as they are statistically insignificant. The end.

This is nothing more than continued effort to keep DA's value high. Think of the opposite rumor. "Brass favors Quinn". Then, DA's value drops lower than it already is. Even if they keep DA and he's on the bench, the smart move is to say you would have been damn happy with him as your QB, so when QB #1 from some other team goes down, off he goes for something of value.

This is not a bad "leak" from the Koki-Man camp for this time of year, and probably smart.

Only the psychotic would think Quinn's rating matters. He doesn't have the numbers to conclude anything. Quinn's numbers are meaningless as they are statistically insignificant. The end.

This is nothing more than continued effort to keep DA's value high. Think of the opposite rumor. "Brass favors Quinn". Then, DA's value drops lower than it already is. Even if they keep DA and he's on the bench, the smart move is to say you would have been damn happy with him as your QB, so when QB #1 from some other team goes down, off he goes for something of value.

This is not a bad "leak" from the Koki-Man camp for this time of year, and probably smart.

Remember, we tried to stay high on Frye then when we couldn't get anything but a 6th for him we shot his ass out of here faster than if he had been loaded into a circus cannon.

A lot of us were screaming "take the picks" with DA a season ago because we saw him degrade over time where he started hot, went cold. He peaked at the start of the season then it was all downhill.

Now we're all kicking ourselves in the ass for NOT getting a 1 and 3 for the Drive Assassin when we had the chance and now we'll be lucky to get a "Frye" out of his ass.

So if poor Lums is dillusional about DA, just humor him. You never bash a qb you're trying to shuffle off.

And if you can't see that if DA was such a damn good fit, we would have traded Quinn for those additional first rounders we were offered to keep DA here, clear up the controversy, and give our named starter all the reps to learn the system.

Smokescreen, can you say it boys and girls?

I mean, how do you turn down two offers w/ first round picks for a guy you don't intend to start.

1. How do you know Quinn had two offers with 1st rd picks?

2. How do you know Anderson didn't have offers with 1st rd picks?

3. If you think you actually know the answers to either of those questions, then how the hell did the Winslow trade go down with ZERO prior indications from anybody?

Only the psychotic would think Quinn's rating matters. He doesn't have the numbers to conclude anything.

okay so why don't you tell that to shep and his "GREATEST FIRST GAME AS A STARTER PASSER RATING IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF BROWNS FOOTBALL" argument?

1. How do you know Quinn had two offers with 1st rd picks?

2. How do you know Anderson didn't have offers with 1st rd picks?

3. If you think you actually know the answers to either of those questions, then how the hell did the Winslow trade go down with ZERO prior indications from anybody?

What year are you talking about with 1sr round offer for DA?

You actually think there is a chance we turned down an offer for a 1st for DA? Really? Come on.

Guest AdaM
okay so why don't you tell that to shep and his "GREATEST FIRST GAME AS A STARTER PASSER RATING IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF BROWNS FOOTBALL" argument?

Because YOURE the one thats been claiming its a relevant stat for Quinn! Dumbass

That's classic stuff right there. Classic.

So go ahead and tell us how all the offers went down, Quinn fag.

and FYI, classic was listening to BQ Fags proclaim for 2 years that the Browns would be unstoppable when Quinn went in.......oops

So go ahead and tell us how all the offers went down, Quinn fag.

and FYI, classic was listening to BQ Fags proclaim for 2 years that the Browns would be unstoppable when Quinn went in.......oops

mz the pussy is such a BQ Fag. I think it annoys me more than it annoys you Lumsford.

I hate Quinn Fags, kill 'em all.

me tinks lums done lost it.........dis is too funny da psychotic be often and regular or sumtin..........whatever

riffs about to lay down another QB evaluation. don't forget to mention "local boy" in it.

hey cross your fingers and hope BQ doesn't get a hang nail today. According to shep it'd be the only thing keeping him from greatness.

riffs about to lay down another QB evaluation. don't forget to mention "local boy" in it.

hey cross your fingers and hope BQ doesn't get a hang nail today. According to shep it'd be the only thing keeping him from greatness.

Sorry bud, us Ohio boys know a scattershot QB when we see 'em.

Apparently in Ken Kesey country that is not an option. Sasquatch laughs at your lack of football acumen and Tonya Harding thinks you're overly emotional and reactionary.

Sadly, I don't think any of us really know what any NFL brass thinks of either QB. Last year there seemed to be allot of interest in DA, with rumors of not only a first round pick being extended but in a round about way the NUMBER ONE pick being offered. There was a few rumors of first round and third round picks being offered and even other rumors of multiple picks being offered. Are any of these rumors true? I don't know. Just like I don't know if the rumors are true of first round picks being offered for BQ this year.

But, no matter what rumors are true and what rumors are not it does not really mean anything. I THINK the coaches just want to get these guys in camp and see for themselves who they THINK will be the best fit and give the Browns the best chance to win. I don't know what is going threw the coaching staffs minds and I doubt any of you do either. I say let it play out.

I don't think you can make any really informed evaluation of what the staff wants their QB to be. If I recall when the Jets had a dink and dunk QB they played ball control move the chains offense and when they had a bomber at QB they played strech the field offense. So I don't think you know which style he prefers, guess he is a coach that adjusts his style to fit his talent. We will see who he thinks has more talent and ability to lead the team now.

Don't think you can read too much into neither player being traded. There could be many many reasons why neither player was traded. It is quite POSSIBLE that both QBs have strong camps in their corners and since there seemed to be nothing the Browns really wanted in the first round this year they chose not to move either QB until the staff evaluates them both. We can assume we know the owner is in BQs camp, who is in DAs camp? I don't know, but it COULD be the coaching staff or just portions of the coaching staff. Or closer to the truth is that they probably just want to actually see them both work and make a decision.

Archived