THE BROWNS BOARD

James Harrison to Skip White House Visit

Guest mz.

Look, I understand boycotting the visit-the-White-House-after-winning-a-championship thing if you disagree with the President's politics, etc., but James Harrison's "reasons" seem a little, to put it in yinzer dialect, not thinked out too good.

James Harrison to Skip White House Visit

Throughout the course of recent memory, the President of the United States has hosted major championship teams' visits to the White House. It's become a sort of American tradition. You win the championship in baseball, football, basketball or hockey, you meet with the President.

Apparently James Harrison, the NFL's reigning Defensive Player of the Year and a key cog in the Steelers' Super Bowl victory over the Arizona Cardinals, doesn't understand the concept. He's going to skip the White House visit. That's his right and there's nothing at all wrong with not going. His rationale, however, is a bit self-important (and by "a bit," I mean "ridiculously").

"This is how I feel -- if you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don't win the Super Bowl. As far as I'm concerned, he [Obama] would've invited Arizona if they had won," said Harrison.

Um, dude ... that's not just how you feel. That's an absolute fact, and it's common knowledge. The White House visits are for teams who win the championship. If you don't want to go, just don't go. You don't have to pontificate about your selfish and irrational reason. What is the President -- who has a few more things to be worried about -- supposed to do? Just arbitrarily invite teams to visit the White House every once in a while? It wouldn't be special anymore, nor would it serve any purpose. I guess that's the way Harrison thinks it should be, though.

For the record, this isn't in any way related to politics. Harrison skipped a meeting with then-President Bush in 2006 after the Steelers won the Super Bowl. Sounds like he just thinks he's so important, world leaders should routinely clear their schedules for him -- even if his team misses the playoffs.

via here

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG what a tool friggen box. This guy is an embarrassment to Coventry High School and Akron in general.

Imagine with this guy's juice abuse if he somehow lives past 50 and one of his kids ask him about turning down a chance to meet the first black president in history. His response would be what? "I didn't go because he wouldn't have invited me if I hadn't won the Super Bowl on 'roids."

Freakin Rhodes Scholar this guy.

Well at least a few Secret Service guys will get that day off since they would have been assigned to following Roid Monkey Harrison around to make sure he didn't f up anything important in the Prez's residence.

Roid Monkey typifies the Roidsburgh Cheaters for me. He's their poster boy.

DWJ

This seemed like a story that a 12 year old Brown's fan would write at 2 AM...I'm left speechless that this is legitimate. Hate politicians all you want, but dammit, have a better rationale than "he would've invited the other guys if they had won instead" what a freaking meatheaded moron. Shame falls on pitt and akron and anyone else associated with this confused and inappropriately indignant fool. At the very least he could say that he didn't believe in a political figure capitalizing on his success in a round a bout way, but that would've been mature and thought out.

I don't know what I am having more fun doing:trying to figure out why Harrison never wants to go to the White House or reading YINZ comments.

And the first of the dimwitted black and gold homers rears his lopsided head. Having grown up in Youngstown near the border, I am happy to tell you that you didn't even manage to use your backwards coloquealism properly. Save yourself the embarassment, or continue to provide us with laughs. Harrison is indefensible, unless your a fan that likes to give passes to assholes like Lakers fans and Ravens fans.

Funny if he did not make the trip last time why is this such a big deal now, just cause it is Obama and not Bush?

Cause I don't remember such a big hub-bub the last time!

Look, I understand boycotting the visit-the-White-House-after-winning-a-championship thing if you disagree with the President's politics, etc., but James Harrison's "reasons" seem a little, to put it in yinzer dialect, not thinked out too good.

via here

Silly James.... What do you expect of a Kid from Akron , and Educated at Kent State University ?

Silly James.... What do you expect of a Kid from Akron , and Educated at Kent State University ?

YOu are correct, so many of the Ohio boys end up in Pitt, the list is endless. The second they get there they turn into morons. I wonder why that is?

You find it funny that we are making fun of (and justifiably so) of your roid monkey Harrison?

Dude, there won't be a sports fan in the world who won't make fun of him once news of this starts to spread.

I can't wait to hear them rip him to shreds on PTI.

What a complete and utter dumbshit...

I wish I was able to make others out to be they way I want them to be, even though my way can't even be backed up by facts.

Dumb agreed. However who the xxxx cares? I sure as hell don't because the rest of the team is going and we're wearing a sixth super bowl ring. If it's on PTI it's a 30 second snip where they will both say "WHAT THE HELL IS HE THINKING" and move on just like the Pittsburgh fan base. I didn't post after initially reading this the day it was posted because I had hoped it would just die. It obviously didn't and that's fine but it's also why I'm posting now. In more important news the salary cap was increased and the Steelers and the rest of the NFL should be able to resign their important veterans and aspiring rookies sooner than later.

Steelers > *

:ph34r:

via here

At least he is consistent - I believe he also snubbed Bush II as well, after Super Bowl XL. If it were me I might do the same thing, whether I agreed with the sitting President's policies or not. I would not like to be used by whoever is in power, getting his picture taken with the latest winner to get some of that champion dust sprinkled on him.

I am sure that no Browns players will be snubbing the President after

a Super Bowl win any time soon.

There wasn't a clear explaination of his reason in the article but Harrison's point is "no one wanted to meet me before I was famous, I haved worked against all odds more whole life to make it to where I am. Why would I feel honored to meet some arrogant politician who had it easy their whole life?". (Of course, Obama wasn't born into a rich family the way Bush was)

There wasn't a clear explaination of his reason in the article but Harrison's point is "no one wanted to meet me before I was famous, I haved worked against all odds more whole life to make it to where I am. Why would I feel honored to meet some arrogant politician who had it easy their whole life?". (Of course, Obama wasn't born into a rich family the way Bush was)

The President of the United States of America is generally regarded as the highest ranking official in the free world. It is in this capacity that one would feel honored and accept an invitation for a formal greeting. Politics aside, this is the leader of our country. Harrisons reasoning is bankrupt of all reasoning.

Honestly, all the rivalry stuff aside, this is extrememly embarrassing for Pitt. I saw his interview and he comes off as a complete moron and I guarantee this will have a trickle down effect with his teammates. I'd be embarrassed as hell to have this guy as a teammate.

Great work Pittspuke, your best player last year is a roid headed Retard but I guess Pitt fan never has cared much about the character of their players anyway.

The President of the United States of America is generally regarded as the highest ranking official in the free world. It is in this capacity that one would feel honored and accept an invitation for a formal greeting. Politics aside, this is the leader of our country. Harrisons reasoning is bankrupt of all reasoning.

Harrison didn't take the invite personally. He said that Obama would have invited the Cards if they won. He doesn't feel that a game should dictate whether or not you can meet the president. He feels the president just does it cuz its just something he is supposed to do. Harrison doesn't want to waste his time doing something he isn't thrilled about soing. Plus he already missed one day of working out this offseason. He doesn't want to miss another.

YOu are correct, so many of the Ohio boys end up in Pitt, the list is endless. The second they get there they turn into morons. I wonder why that is?

Ya NONE of them were Morons already huh ?? Ha Ha Ha !!

Are you suggesting that you've offered up common sense in this thread?

Hahahaha....

Every President for the last 40 or so years has met with the champions of the major sports. It's an American tradition, you are the best team therefore you get to meet the president.

By making the statement "He would be meeting with the cards if they had one" is so obvious you have to wonder why in the world Harrison thinks he's making a profound statement....utterly ridiculous.

Frankly I'm amazed you knuckle draggers are even attempting to spin this, and I've seen you spin some really gross shit. This one however, takes the cake.

I am still trying to figure out the Harrison comments myself. Its the rediculous things a few people on here are saying that are made for the sole purpose of them being able to make themselves feel better about their own team by making there senseless world a reality.

WTF did you just say?

Seriously dude, wake up. Let's say the Cards did win the title, and Boldin came out and made the same exact statement. Do you really think we'd be cool with it? Hell no, we'd be giving him hell as well.

But no, you want to believe it's our hatred of Pittsburgh that's driving these insults. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Face it dude, you have a roided up, self centered woman beater as the face of your franchise. But it stands to reason you sister-humping inbred mongoloids would hoist that up as a standard to live up to.

Face it, just becuase you say it doesn't mean any of it is true...

but I guess Pitt fan never has cared much about the character of their players anyway.

That's a little unfounded even when criticizing the most hated of rivals. The Rooney's are known for a quality organization with integrity, no matter how much we bust their balls, it's undeniable. Is the man a neanderthal? Undeniable. I'm embarassed for them and their association, one can hope they show a little class and formally reprimand him in public, but that doesn't mean that they just don't care about character, that's monopolized by the Cowgirls and Ratbirds...

Archived