THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns pacify Rogers, but not Cribbs

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/45375947.html

Browns Pro Bowl nose tackle Shaun Rogers has patched up his differences with new coach Eric Mangini, Rogers said Monday night.

''We handled it,'' Rogers said before the 29th annual Akron Browns Backers banquet at Tangier restaurant in Akron. ''Just like two grown men do, you speak about it and go to work. We're fine.''

But while Mangini may have put out one fire, the match seems to have been struck on another.

The agent for Pro Bowl special teamer Joshua Cribbs said it didn't appear likely that Cribbs would participate in the team's first voluntary minicamp, which opens in Berea today.

The Browns' all-time kickoff return leader is seeking to renegotiate a contract extension signed in November 2006. Cribbs said he received assurances from former General Manager Phil Savage and owner Randy Lerner that it would be taken care of after last season.

Cribbs' agent, John Rickert, said Monday afternoon that ''barring any monumental movement on their part,'' Cribbs won't attend this week's minicamp, which runs through Thursday.

The Browns have another voluntary three-day session next week and five days of off-season training in early June. The only mandatory minicamp is scheduled for June 11-13.

Rickert added that ''Josh is feeling unappreciated by the club.''

The Browns released a statement Monday that disputed Cribbs' claim that Lerner called him and reiterated the promise after Savage was fired in late December.

''Contrary to published reports this morning, no one from the current Browns organization, including owner Randy Lerner, has ever made any promises to Josh Cribbs with regard to his contract status,'' the statement said.

Asked his reaction to the statement, Rickert said: ''We respectfully disagree with it. It's their right to put it out.''

Rickert said he spoke to the Browns around 4:30 p.m. Monday, but little was accomplished.

A former Kent State quarterback who joined the Browns as an undrafted free agent in 2005, Cribbs signed a reported $6.77 million, seven-year contract extension in 2006, when he had a different agent.

''It wasn't us who did that deal and George Kokinis didn't do that deal,'' Rickert said of the new Browns' general manager. ''What a great opportunity to correct a bad situation.''

Rickert said Cribbs isn't looking for Devin Hester money. Hester, the Chicago Bears' Pro Bowl returner who tried to expand his role as a receiver in 2008, signed a four-year, $30 million contract extension with $15 million guaranteed last July.

''No, not at all,'' Rickert said of Hester's deal. ''We're not even saying, 'Do a new deal.' We're saying, 'Start the process with us.' ''

While playing on every special teams unit, Cribbs also sees action at receiver and may get time in the defensive backfield.

''We're just looking for market value for what he does,'' Rickert said. ''They obviously don't have any cap issues. I think there's a number [where] Josh would feel appreciated.''

Rogers' issue with Mangini had nothing to do with money. He felt disrespected by the new coach twice, in the training room and at an awards event. Reportedly Rogers was also miffed about a weight mandate he was given.

''We sat down and talked and we worked it out,'' Rogers said, speaking for the first time since the falling-out became public. ''I just feel comfortable being here. I'm happy I've still got a job. This economy doesn't allow you to be as lucky as I am.''

Asked whether he got the wrong first impression of Mangini, Rogers said: ''That's in the past. I'm not really worried about impressions. I'm more interested in seeing what we're going to work like, how we're going to jell tomorrow.''

Notes

Mangini did not attend the Akron event, but he and Kokinis sent all 19 Browns rookies to get a taste of the fans' fervor . . . Rogers received the Player of the Year Award from the Cleveland chapter of the Professional Football Writers and cornerback Brandon McDonald accepted the Dino Lucarelli Good Guy Award.

Phil Dawson has been fantastic but he is getting up there and some of these young legs are impressive.. His value is not only in his leg but also, more importantly, between his ears....I don't think he makes any noise but then again I know nothing of his contract as compared to other kickers in the league...

Score more touchdowns and you need less field goal tries.....

Peace

T.Dawg

The business side of the NFL sucks. This will work itself out like the Rogers thing worked itself out.

Let everybody huff and puff and get everything off their chests and then they will work it out.

Guest AdaM
Phil Dawson has been fantastic but he is getting up there and some of these young legs are impressive.. His value is not only in his leg but also, more importantly, between his ears....I don't think he makes any noise but then again I know nothing of his contract as compared to other kickers in the league...

Score more touchdowns and you need less field goal tries.....

Peace

T.Dawg

So much for Phil Dawson not talking......

• Cribbs' isn't the only contract ordeal percolating. Kicker Phil Dawson quietly has been pursuing a new deal, too. There is also the D'Qwell Jackson situation.

(PFT)

• Cribbs' isn't the only contract ordeal percolating. Kicker Phil Dawson quietly has been pursuing a new deal, too. There is also the D'Qwell Jackson situation.

(PFT)

And I will basically repeat what I said somewhere else, the Browns saved money moving down in the draft....now the hands are out. Agent$ are doing their jobs.

I don't blame anybody for wanting more money and I don't blame the orginization for keeping money for where they believe they will need it either.

(PFT)

Most every player on every team that has out played their contracts want new ones................This isn't unique to the Browns. We just haven't seen that much of it because we haven't had many players out perform their contracts in recent years.

It also has a lot to do with the labor agreement. Players want new contracts with up front bonuses and not roster bonuses. Guys like Jackson won't be FAs. Veterans want money now in case of a labor dispute after next season.

6.77 million over 7 years for a guy that plays defensively on kickoffs, punts and returns punts. He's making almost a mil a year for playing about 10 to 12 plays a week. I sure wish I could get such disrespect.

Another case of a pro athlete needing a reality check.

It disgust me.

6.77 million over 7 years for a guy that plays defensively on kickoffs, punts and returns punts. He's making almost a mil a year for playing about 10 to 12 plays a week. I sure wish I could get such disrespect.

Another case of a pro athlete needing a reality check.

It disgust me.

Another case of a rich owner refusing to pay the guys that are bringing in the money for him, and doing it because he has all the power in a NFL system that lets players get cut anytime but gives them almost no recourse for seeing upside if they improve.

I'm not disgusted, I just wish they would deal with each other more honestly.

Archived