THE BROWNS BOARD

Cribbs gives trade request

Bronx Cheer

See espn.com front page.

From Cribbs' statement:

"I humbly and respectfully come to Browns fans and the Browns letting all know that I have given my all to this team, on and off the field for 4 complete years selflessly without regard to myself and my own family." Cribbs' statement read.

"Contracts are one-sided in favor of the team, yet we as players are told to honor our contracts without the team honoring them. We are not doctors and lawyers, we don't get paid for 25 years of work. If we are lucky, we get 10 years at best to make all the money we can to last the rest of our life."

"This is not personal, but I have to be a man and take care of my family for not just a year or two, but for as long as I am walking this earth," Cribbs' statement continued. "I want nothing more but to wear the Browns' logo on my chest until my career has come to an end, and I am deeply disappointed that the team I put my hard work, blood, sweat and tears in will just write me off as though I am collateral damage."

Did I miss something? The statement doesn't say he's asked to be traded and he was at the team meeting this morning.

Yeah it's hard to tell if this is a repackage of earlier information from this morning that ESPN has interpreted in their own way so it could go on the front page or what.

Id be inclined to let him sit out the voluntary stuff and re-do his contract at the end of the season, i think if he gets what he wants immediatley then it sets a bad example. I thought he would get a new contract this season however, but now its blown up a bit im not sure.

Guest Aloysius
Yeah it's hard to tell if this is a repackage of earlier information from this morning that ESPN has interpreted in their own way so it could go on the front page or what.

Another possibility is that the stories differ because each journo's only talking to one side. Mary Kay could be getting a rosy account from Mangini & co., whereas Clayton's hearing from Cribbs' agent that the situation isn't getting better.

The same thing happened in the McDaniels/Cutler situation. Hopefully, we're not heading in that direction.

Josh has no leverage. He is under contract. When the fines start to kick in and his family will suffer. Poor, poor Josh. Go 4-12 and then look for pity from the fans. Going public with this is, there must be an agent making the decisions for him. who's next Pointabrandt

The Clayton article has been updated (click the link again). It now explicitly reports that Cribbs formally requested a trade from management, and then states he thereafter released a public statement. Before the update, the only thing that stated a trade request had been made was the title of the article.

I think they just rushed a poorly-edited article to publication first in order to get the "scoop" out.

Guest Aloysius

The guys at the OBR are reporting that Cribbs has not demanded a trade, only told Mangini that he will demand if a trade if his contract issue isn't resolved quickly.

Either way, I could live WITH him, WITHOUT him or with him RIDING THE PINE!

Just put a winning team together. Yes, I know that he's a good/great special teams player (that's IT though).

Last year, when Parcells arrived in Miami (local to me), there was a big "to do" with Jason Taylor and Parcells (he said, she said). Eventually he was traded, everyone thought the world would come to an end, then the Dolphins made the playoffs.

Jason Taylor was the Defensive Player of the Year, a year or so prior to Parcells arriving. Jason was probably "almost" as valuable as a great special teams player.

Not saying we should dump Cribbs but life goes on.

Go Browns!

I am really surprised at you people. Cribbs is arguably our best player, and biggest difference maker. Not to mention he's a hell of a leader, and his statement is spot on. While a bunch of primadonnas were running around saying me me me me me me Josh was giving 110%. Give him what he wants within reason.

Guest Masters
I am really surprised at you people. Cribbs is arguably our best player, and biggest difference maker. Not to mention he's a hell of a leader, and his statement is spot on. While a bunch of primadonnas were running around saying me me me me me me Josh was giving 110%. Give him what he wants within reason.

And what is he doing now? Running around saying me me me me. Not doing prior doesn't give him cart blanch to do it now.

Could CLE play Cribbs more? Yes. Should they? Probably. Should Cribbs be trying to gain fan opinion/backing in an effort to get his new deal? No. There is zero reason for him at this point to even be taking it to the press or the fans. Keep that crap in house.

I won't even get started on him trying to compare a football player to a doctor.

Guest AdaM
And he actually took a step back last year in kick returning did he not?

Maybe you forgot the high ankle sprain and mild concussion...

Guest Masters
Maybe you forgot the high ankle sprain and mild concussion...

I think the loss of what's his name at the front of the return wedge hurt Cribbs the most last season. He didn't have the same holes to run through he did the year before.

Guest AdaM
I think the loss of what's his name at the front of the return wedge hurt Cribbs the most last season. He didn't have the same holes to run through he did the year before.

Griffin?

who was that... wedge blocker... someone's gotta know.

But he also rushed back from a high ankle sprain.

And what is he doing now? Running around saying me me me me. Not doing prior doesn't give him cart blanch to do it now.

Could CLE play Cribbs more? Yes. Should they? Probably. Should Cribbs be trying to gain fan opinion/backing in an effort to get his new deal? No. There is zero reason for him at this point to even be taking it to the press or the fans. Keep that crap in house.

I won't even get started on him trying to compare a football player to a doctor.

Oh puh lease. This guy was given the word of his boss that he would be getting a raise. As an honorable man JOsh has every right to take them to task for this. Josh loves the Browns, he loves the city, he loves the fans. He feels a connection with us, and that is why he wants to state his case, he doesn't want to come off looking like a guy who's asking for the moon, because he is not. As a fan who appreciates josh for his selfless attitude, his undying support of our city, it's children, and it's needs ...I say we damned well better give him a raise. He is underpaid, and apparently under appreciated by the new regime. This is the type of man, and character we want infused into our city. Why are doctors any better than Cribbs? They save lives? Don't get ME started, there are crooks, and asshats in every profession, last I heard the title of "Doctor" didn't give you your heaven stamp.

Griffin?

who was that... wedge blocker... someone's gotta know.

But he also rushed back from a high ankle sprain.

I think it was Lennie Friedman as the wedge man.

The business part of the NFL really sucks, but I agree 100% that this doesn't belong in the media. That won't help get this done. Hey, Boldin has been asking to be traded for two years and he will still be in AZ come Sept. It will get worked out because he isn't going to sit out the season with zero money and have his TV show canceled.

Lerner has made many mistakes with this team, but he does right by his players. Cribbs will get his, but this isn't the way to go about it. Sorry, JMO.

Guest AdaM
Oh puh lease. This guy was given the word of his boss that he would be getting a raise. As an honorable man JOsh has every right to take them to task for this. Josh loves the Browns, he loves the city, he loves the fans. He feels a connection with us, and that is why he wants to state his case, he doesn't want to come off looking like a guy who's asking for the moon, because he is not. As a fan who appreciates josh for his selfless attitude, his undying support of our city, it's children, and it's needs ...I say we damned well better give him a raise. He is underpaid, and apparently under appreciated by the new regime. This is the type of man, and character we want infused into our city. Why are doctors any better than Cribbs? They save lives? Don't get ME started, there are crooks, and asshats in every profession, last I heard the title of "Doctor" didn't give you your heaven stamp.

I think what Cribbs was saying is that doctors/lawyers have 40+ years to make money. Where he only has 5-10.

Guest Masters

He was supposedly (remember, you and I weren't there) given the word of his former boss. It was Savage, who isn't with the Browns anymore. Of course he has a right to take CLE to task, but not in the press in an effort to manipulate the situation to his favor. He does have a connection to the fans, which is why he is trying to use us as a manipulation tool in the situation. He didn't come to the fans just because he wanted us to know what's up. He (and his agent more specifically) what the CLE press and fans clamouring for the Browns to give in to Cribbs demands.

Oh, and as an honorable man, shouldn't he be honoring the contract he just signed 2 years ago?

Regarding the doctors, it was because he was basically complaining that a football players career (and importanly the high income) are short. Yeah, and football is a game for entertainment, while doctors (sure there are bad ones) are actually providing a needed service. Don't compare getting paid a very large amount of money to play a game for peoples entertainment (including most players) to people who save lives, cure disease, etc. You aren't gonna garner sympathy from most.

Guest Masters
I think it was Lennie Friedman as the wedge man.

The business part of the NFL really sucks, but I agree 100% that this doesn't belong in the media. That won't help get this done. Hey, Boldin has been asking to be traded for two years and he will still be in AZ come Sept. It will get worked out because he isn't going to sit out the season with zero money and have his TV show canceled.

Lerner has made many mistakes with this team, but he does right by his players. Cribbs will get his, but this isn't the way to go about it. Sorry, JMO.

Thank you. Couldn't get Friedman to come to mind.

Well said!

Cribbs has the same amount of time to earn a living that everyone else does, about 40 years. His last 30 years probably won't pay so well. If he thinks that $600,000 is chump change wait until he gets a paycheck from Walmart.

Didn't he "go to college"? Did he major in anything (for his future)? Still time to become a doctor :)

"Contracts are one-sided in favor of the team, yet we as players are told to honor our contracts without the team honoring them. We are not doctors and lawyers, we don't get paid for 25 years of work. If we are lucky, we get 10 years at best to make all the money we can to last the rest of our life."

"This is not personal, but I have to be a man and take care of my family for not just a year or two, but for as long as I am walking this earth," Cribbs' statement continued. "I want nothing more but to wear the Browns' logo on my chest until my career has come to an end, and I am deeply disappointed that the team I put my hard work, blood, sweat and tears in will just write me off as though I am collateral damage."

Millionaires say funny things sometimes. Especially ones that get to play sports for a living.

This board turns and bites very quickly. I am sure that if I could be bothered to trawl through previous threads from the last 18 months the temperature towards #16 was extremely warm indeed, smoking in fact. He is , imho, one of the best players we have and offers more to the team as a whole than just yards on returns.

I think he got himself in this situation for being a nice guy. He makes a play for a better deal given his excellent performance and a pro bowl appearance. the boss's boss says "you know what kid, I'll sort you out. Now go out there and keep doing what you're doing, I'l look after you" Then sweet Fanny Adam. I can remember this happening to me in my early career. being told you'll be looked after and then being shafted. It's a lesson everyone needs to learn and I understand that, IF TRUE, why he feels he has been done over. I don't blame JC if the conversation happened as he said it did.

I don't think he's gonna get anything though and I would be sad to see some other team get his skills and attitude.

H.

This board turns and bites very quickly. I am sure that if I could be bothered to trawl through previous threads from the last 18 months the temperature towards #16 was extremely warm indeed, smoking in fact. He is , imho, one of the best players we have and offers more to the team as a whole than just yards on returns.

I think he got himself in this situation for being a nice guy. He makes a play for a better deal given his excellent performance and a pro bowl appearance. the boss's boss says "you know what kid, I'll sort you out. Now go out there and keep doing what you're doing, I'l look after you" Then sweet Fanny Adam. I can remember this happening to me in my early career. being told you'll be looked after and then being shafted. It's a lesson everyone needs to learn and I understand that, IF TRUE, why he feels he has been done over. I don't blame JC if the conversation happened as he said it did.

I don't think he's gonna get anything though and I would be sad to see some other team get his skills and attitude.

H.

I'm with Cribbs on everything, except he should show up and do the camps while he irons this out. And it will get ironed out. And he will be returning kicks for us this year.

Not a big story IMO ... but it's the off-season so what else do we have to talk about ... beats another QB thread I guess.

Zombo

Archived