THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns Vs. N.Y. Jets Game Day Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Orion said:

Now, because we didn't kick the FG, we're two scores down.

and if we had kicked the fg instead of going for it we could easily say "now we need a td just to tie when a field goal could have tied".......going for it was the right move without question.

2 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

and if we had kicked the fg instead of going for it we could easily say "now we need a td just to tie when a field goal could have tied".......going for it was the right move without question.

In this country, you're entitled to your wrong opinion. :)

Just now, bbedward said:

Calling a timeout and going for it instead of taking the points to tie with an entire quarter left is perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

actually the fact that there was a whole qtr left is even more reason to go for it.  The more time on the clock there is the more your basic pt expectation charts come into play.  and everytime on fourth and a yard from the 3 they are going to say your pt expectations are more than 2.9+...which is what the fg was.

4 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

lmao.....you dont judge a decision by whethe r or not it worked out.  you judge it by whether it was the right decision at the time.  And according to win expectancy and pt expectation charts, it was.

meaningless cliches like "you tie the game when you can" are just that....meaningless.  May as well say "you go ahead in the game when you can".  

Oh please in your infinite wisdom validate your statement with facts and not words. I'm certain you can't.

You don't judge a decision on if it worked? Surely you hear how ducking stupid that sounds right? I played football for a long time. In pee wee leagues the decision there is to take the points.

Seriously, Hue doesn't get it. If he's gone tomorrow I wouldn't be upset.

Just now, jrb12711 said:

Oh please in your infinite wisdom validate your statement with facts and not words. I'm certain you can't.

You don't judge a decision on if it worked? Surely you hear how ducking stupid that sounds right? I played football for a long time. In pee wee leagues the decision there is to take the points.

Seriously, Hue doesn't get it. If he's gone tomorrow I wouldn't be upset.

I suggest you consult a pts expectation or game specific win expectancy chart.  

As for judging a decision based on whether it worked....if you go out now and rob a convenience store and get 300 dollars and never get caught, it 'worked'.  doesnt mean it was the right decision.  

1 minute ago, boo fagley said:

No it wasnt.

You take the points. It was a chip shot and the kicker made the PAT. Also, it might have instilled a little confidence in the kicking game. If the Browns lose by 3 then Hue needs to pack his bags.

lol...two nonsensical points.  The fact it was a chip shot is irrelevant.  even if we assign a value of 3 to the decision to kick, the value of being fourth and 1 at the 3 has a pt value of more than 3.  

as for "instilling confidence in the kicking game"...this is just meaningless cliched bullshite.

Just now, boo fagley said:

You gotta take the points.

Belichick would 100 times out of 100 if Brady had to kick the damn ball through the uprights.

lol....BB once famously went for it on 4th and 2 and on his own 28 late in the 4th qtr up against the colts because the analytics told him to in that game situation.  If you think he of all people would have gone against the data and played it safe you are crazy.

1 minute ago, Tacosman said:

I suggest you consult a pts expectation or game specific win expectancy chart.  

As for judging a decision based on whether it worked....if you go out now and rob a convenience store and get 300 dollars and never get caught, it 'worked'.  doesnt mean it was the right decision.  

That's why I asked you. You've said three times now it was the right decision based on the analytics, but can't explain why or provide proof. Can you understand why I would say you're full of crap? Or do you just like saying things without understanding them at all?

Just now, jrb12711 said:

That's why I asked you. You've said three times now it was the right decision based on the analytics, but can't explain why or provide proof. Can you understand why I would say you're full of crap? Or do you just like saying things without understanding them at all?

it was right based on the analytics because the pt expectation value of going for it there in that situation is going to be almost 4 pts.  Whereas kicking in that situation is going to be between 2.9 and 3.0.  not complicated.

Youre wrong.

The Browns are down 2 scores now. Would you rather be 17 - 10 or 17 - 7?

If you choose the latter then I want to do business with you.

(sigh)

and if the browns had made it they would be down 17-14.  I'd rather be 17-14 than 17-10

you're all forgetting something: if the browns went for the FG and missed, would you still think kicking was the right decision or would people be lamenting that the Browns didn't go for it?  this is the Browns we're talking about, it is entirely possible they miss from that distance

Just now, Browns1216 said:

you're all forgetting something: if the browns went for the FG and missed, would you still think kicking was the right decision or would people be lamenting that the Browns didn't go for it?  this is the Browns we're talking about, it is entirely possible they miss from that distance

its very very unlikely they miss from that distance.  It was the right decision to go for it because a 60% chance at 7 pts is better than a near 100% chance at 3 pts.

Can you see what happened after we failed on 4th down?

All of the momentum went to the Jets.

If we'd have come out with points it would have been different.  How different we can't be sure.  But all the mojo left town.

He did because the defense could not stop Peyton Manning and was fearful NE would not get the ball back.

Your nonsensical point has ZERO relevance in this game. You tie the game 10 - 10. Jerry Glanville analytics are bull Sheet.

sure...pt expectation charts have zero relevance lol......good one.  And wtf does jerry glanville have to do with analytics?  

Read barnwell's column tommorrow.  He'll break it down for you guys why it was the right move based on the numbers to go for it.

Just now, Orion said:

Can you see what happened after we failed on 4th down?

All of the momentum went to the Jets.

If we'd have come out with points it would have been different.  How different we can't be sure.  But all the mojo left town.

and if we make it(and we had a greater than 50% chance to), then we get tons of momentum.  It goes both ways.  Thats if you believe in momentum anyways.

It was *the key* play in the game.  That stop they made was huge.  but it was still the right call.  You kick there and you are leaving points on the board.  

Archived