THE BROWNS BOARD

Which school?

Gunz41

Been thinking about this, which school has produced the best talent at each position? Has to have more than 1 example (ex. Jim Brown best RB ever, but not another one I can think of from Syracuse)

Thoughts?

Syracuse produced many fantastic RBs beyond Jim Brown, Ernie Davis (who died from Leukemia after the Browns traded for him), Larry Csonka, Floyd Little and Joe Morris.

Penn State was known for their LBs, U of Miami has produced a ton of players at every position, Wisconsin seems to do well with OLineman, Ohio State does well with CBs....

My point was the school who has produced the 2 or more best players by position. Jim Brown being great, but the next dont hold up to others schools top 2.

I'll start it, and feel free to disagree.

QB: Standford: John Elway and Andrew Luck

1 hour ago, Gunz41 said:

My point was the school who has produced the 2 or more best players by position. Jim Brown being great, but the next dont hold up to others schools top 2.

Ooh, that's good. Off the top of my head I came up with Alabama: Joe Namath, Bart Starr and Ken Stabler

28 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

WTF  you do realize Little and Csonka are both in the Pro Football Hall of Fame along with Brown?

17 minutes ago, Richiswhere said:

WTF  you do realize Little and Csonka are both in the Pro Football Hall of Fame along with Brown?

I was thinking that too. Oklahoma State has Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas, but Brown and Csonka probably trumps them.

Just now, TexasAg1969 said:

No one can beat USC's RBs it's endless: Marcus Allen, OJ, Frank Gifford, Reggie Bush, and Ricky Bell who died early at 29 like Earnie Davis at Syracuse.

Yeah, that's the thing, some schools can rattle off a huge list. I like limiting it to the top 2 at every position. Quality over quantity.

I'll throw out Nebraska's duos worthy of consideration, not necessarily expecting any to be the best at their positions.

RB: Roger Craig and Ahman Green

WR: Irving Fryar and Guy Chamberlin

T: Link Lyman and Bob Brown

G: Will Shields and Dean Steinkuhler

C: Charley Brock and Mick Tingelhoff

DE: Neil Smith and Grant Wistrom

DT: Ndamukong Suh and John Dutton

LB: Broderick Thomas and Lavonte David

18 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

And right now I'll put Syracuse: RB Jim Brown and Larry Csonka up against anyone.

... and you overlooked Ernie Davis, who broke all JB's record at Syracuse, but never had a chance to prove out at the pro level... plus...

Floyd Little... who broke all of Ernie Davis' records and went on to a HoF career in Denver.

18 hours ago, Richiswhere said:

Not saying they werent great, my point was that other schools could have a better 2, not weighing Jim Brown a lot more. OJ and Allen would be a better 2 to me.

Or the triplets of Earl Campbell, Eddie George, and Ezekiel Elliott

Pretty good Buckeye WR trio in Chris Carter, Paul Warfield and Dante Lavelli... all in the HoF.

Also produced Joey Galloway who had a long pro career incliding a half dozen or so 1000-yd seasons.

7 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

Not saying they werent great, my point was that other schools could have a better 2, not weighing Jim Brown a lot more. OJ and Allen would be a better 2 to me.

Or the triplets of Earl Campbell, Eddie George, and Ezekiel Elliott

Earl went to Texas...

George and Elliot were Buckeyes... but you can add Howard "Hopalong" Cassidy... :)

Has to be a ton of Iowa OL to list... may not be HoF'ers, but damned if I can think of them...

Fortunately there's google...

Hawkeyes in NFL: 70 percent are linemen

ACTIVE ROSTER

• Baltimore: G Marshal Yanda (10th)
  • Denver: C James Ferentz (2nd)
  • Detroit: G Riley Reiff (5th)
  • Green Bay: OT Bryan Bulaga (7th)
  • Indianapolis: C Austin Blythe (1st)
  • Los Angeles: OT Andrew Donnal (2nd)
  • Philadelphia: OL Matt Tobin (4th)
  • Washington: OL Brandon Scherff (2nd)

PRACTICE SQUAD

• N.Y. Giants: OL Adam Gettis

EDIT: almost forgot that we had one... OG Eric Steinbach

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

... and you overlooked Ernie Davis, who broke all JB's record at Syracuse, but never had a chance to prove out at the pro level... plus...

Floyd Little... who broke all of Ernie Davis' records and went on to a HoF career in Denver.

I started by just naming the best two RBs from Syracuse, I would have included Little too. Davis never played in the NFL, so he wouldn't have made the list.

Archived