THE BROWNS BOARD

Edwards Prefers Browns

WPB Dawg Fan

Well, with Cribbs making noise, it is nice to know at least one player WANTS to be here!!!!

Edwards prefers to remain with Browns

Comment Email Print Share

ESPN.com news services

Against the fitting backdrop of a voluntary minicamp, Cleveland Browns receiver Braylon Edwards says he wants to remain a Brown and hopefully make up for a forgettable 2008 season.

The Browns spent time leading up to the April draft in trade discussions with the New York Giants, who were interested in acquiring Edwards to replace jettisoned star Plaxico Burress.

Edwards, who is entering the final year of his contract, said Thursday that reports of the teams' talks did not bother him.

"I didn't get excited [about the rumors]," Edwards said, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "One, they were rumors and there was nothing to hold on to. And two, I felt like if I would have left Cleveland for any reason, I would have left with a bad taste in my mouth."

After a breakout 2007 season in which he had 1,289 receiving yards and 16 touchdown catches, Edwards had by most accounts a miserable '08. He was criticized for dropping balls and had 55 receptions, 25 fewer than in '07, and only three for touchdowns.

"I wanted to get back to playing good football, definitely here," Edwards said, according to the Plain Dealer. "It's a business and who knows what's going to happen next year. But for me, it was just about getting back to what I know I can do and being the player the Browns drafted in '05 and that the fans saw in '07."

In what was reported as his last discussion with the Browns, Giants general manager Jerry Reese told Cleveland he might be willing to part with a second- and a fifth-round pick. Nothing came of it and New York ended up drafting a receiver, Hakeem Nicks of North Carolina, with the 29th overall pick.

"Obviously they didn't get what they wanted, which means they felt highly of me to ask for a lot and it didn't go down that way and I'm still here," Edwards told the newspaper. "I'm happy to be here.

"There's a lot of players here that I still know, some new players. I remember [rookie receiver] Brian Robiskie at 17, having him out here when he was a ballboy and now he's one of my teammates. I think it's going to be a fun season. I'm excited to play with these guys and play in this new system and see what happens."

Edwards said he hasn't spoken to general manager George Kokinis or new coach Eric Mangini about the team's trade discussions.

"Right now I'm a Cleveland Brown and that's what I'm going to be until that day happens," Edwards said. "It won't be my decision."

I like his attitude on this. Instead of getting his feathers ruffled, he saw that the Browns still valued him highly enough to ask a lot in return. So, get your head and hands together and get a prove it contract Braylon!!!

Well, with Cribbs making noise, it is nice to know at least one player WANTS to be here!!!!

I like his attitude on this. Instead of getting his feathers ruffled, he saw that the Browns still valued him highly enough to ask a lot in return. So, get your head and hands together and get a prove it contract Braylon!!!

I wonder if there is any chance of re-signing him this year before he goes out and does 80-16 again?

Zombo

He only says he wants to be there due to the fact that its contract year and he doesnt want other teams thinking he is a diva. If he resigns with us Sweet if not, not a big deal. Our other guys will have one year under their belts with this new system. Our team will be on that will be contending for the AFC North next year. We have the veteran presence and the young guys who want to play and win. We will complete this team in next years draft and we will be beating some asses.

I wonder if there is any chance of re-signing him this year before he goes out and does 80-16 again?

Zombo

I think the chances are slim and none....................................With the collective bargaining agreement expiring, he may only be a RFA next year which might mean he would be here another year, but I think he ultimately wants that big contract and will test the water. Kudos to his agent who seems to have told him to shut up and play. A lot of teams are watching his attitude as well as his production.

We have him for this year and next year if we really want him..We could always franchise him if that option is still available if the union contract is not in effect

I'm not really sure how this all plays out if next year becomes an uncapped year... I'm not up on the rules of engagement for that particular scenario...

peace

T.Dawg

PR smoke and mirrors....BE's gone to hollywood

For sure. I hear the LA Avengers are looking for a receiver.

:rolleyes:

The thing here is, umm, you really have no idea. Me? I'm hoping for the best. That he turns it around, back to 2007 and means it when he says he likes being here.

Braylon has done a shit ton for the Cleveland community and had the single best year receiving for a browns WR I think ever. He was drafted #3 overall, but has he been a bust, I really dont think so, for one he has had no good QB since he has been with us. He never had a rb until JL came and then the had his best year. He might have the dropsies and he might get pouty ofter, but overall he if a top 10 WR. He will go for the money next year and he will get it to, they always do. We will still have a good WR core next year when BE leaves.

We have him for this year and next year if we really want him..We could always franchise him if that option is still available if the union contract is not in effect

I'm not really sure how this all plays out if next year becomes an uncapped year... I'm not up on the rules of engagement for that particular scenario...

peace

T.Dawg

T.Dawg, if the CBA gets extended, in its current form, BE would be a UFA next year but the team could tag him and pay him the average of the top 5 receivers.

If it goes to an uncapped year, BE would be a RFA, in which the team could tender an offer, and then match an offer BE signs or get possibly 1st and 3rd picks in return (depending on the tender amount).

If new CBA in place, then no one knows what the rules will be.

He will go for the money next year and he will get it to, they always do.

Probably. But who is to say it won't come from us?

bingo. i hope it does.

all this "when he leaves" b.s. makes me wonder what more we as fans could possibly want in a receiver.

What more can we want in a reciever? Someone who doesnt have to want 10 mil a year even though he is not the best in the NFL. BE is a great WR, so is Randy Moss, Randy took less money to play for a team that is badass and wins year in and year out. The thing now is that we drafted 2 WRS in the 2nd round, and to me that says that they will be playing as a tandem for years to come and that they don't expect BE to be on this team come next year. We can put the tag on him but no one will want to give up the 1st and 3rd for him, when Dez Bryant is coming out next year. If he would take around between 7-8 mil a year then Im all for it, if not then He got to teach our new guys for a year and we still will have Mike Furrey and who ever else we could get next year. We will be fine even if we lose an all pro.

I don't see how drafting two WR's has everything to do with Edwards. Yeah, it's insurance against him leaving but there is no guarantee they both pan out and since when does it suck to have 3 stud, big WR's if they do?

I'm really excited about this receiving corps, they have some potential to be dangerous and sure handed/smart. Patten and Furrey both catch everything and so does Robo. The question marks are whether MoMas and Edwards stay consistent.

Gotta give it to Mancock, they rightly viewed the receiving unit as in desperate need of upgrading and went out and hopefully did it. Rucker should be able to fill Winslow's shoes as the receiving threat at TE but the TE's overall can be much more useful in the power game. They won't need to depend on Winslow so much.

doesn't say that to me at all.....you're counting ghosts cambridge. what it says to me is in year 3 of his regime Mangini knows Lerner and the fanbase will be expecting him to walk on his own two and show some results and he's getting a jump on it now so he'll be ready then. by then Alex Mack should have some starts as our center, the QB should be well entrenched in the system, Thomas should continue to be a full time stud, and hopefully those two receivers they just drafted will be ready to be full-time contributors. guards, a RT, and RB's can be band-aided with bodies off the street if need be. it's not ideal, but you see the priorities in front of you as the pieces they've just added. not only were they needs but they also need the most time.

Moss is on the back-end of his career while BE is just entering his prime. Randy wants a ring and has already made his fortune elsewhere. IMO he was willing to give up cash for the opportunity to go to the big dance. who knows--if he already had a SB ring he may have already retired.

i doubt Braylon teaches the rooks much of anything, he's not a coach. as much as i love Braylon he only ignites himself, not those around him. people don't feed off his energy like they did K2 nor is he a father-figure type at this point in his life. your plan doesn't account for injuries either.

My bad, I thought it was like yesterday that everyone here hated BE because of his drops and he was going to traded so no one gave a rats ass about him. Now everyone loves the idea that he says he is on board FOR NOW. We draft 2 wrs that might or might not pan out,. You know what BE is in his 5th year and how is he panning out, I dont hate the guy but come on, does he deserve 10 mil a year from anybody? Also its been admitted that Braylon is not a teacher, so how is he worth that much to us. We will be a good team with him and a good one with out him, he really doesnt make or break this team.

True points and good post. Speaking for myself I wanted him moved but for the right price. I didn't want to just give him away and the Browns got picks in other ways, but it doesn't necessarily mean I think he's worth 10 million, either. The premise was garnering as many picks as possible and getting value while we could from an underachieving player short on his contract. The DA situation last offseason played a role for sure.

It's hard to teach when you don't catch anything, but it really doesn't matter if he's a teacher does it? All we need out of the guy is him going back to his '07 form and concentrating on stretching the field. We were so thin last year at receiver that he was forced into being the guy every play and he was fair game for DB's. He never found a rhythm after getting stepped on and then lost every bit of his confidence. It didn't help that the rest of the team was dysfunctional at every offensive position against a hellacious schedule and defenses.

BTW, I quit listening to Edwards and putting any credence in what comes out of his mouth after the "poor me I'm from Michigan" crap. I really don't care what he has to say, it's on him to shut up and play for a contract this year. All the prima donna crap gets thrown out the window, he needs to let his play do the talking if he wants to continue toward celebrity status.

Uncle RAC 'n ROLLS is no longer running this team, so I think we can throw out the coddling aspect that was partly the result of his ineptitude last year. He has a much better supporting cast around him and a lot of the pressure that came with being the only guy last year will be gone. He can thrive in a system with a power running game, spreading the field and solid play from the QB and supporting cast at receiver. We have enough guys to handle the short slants and intermediate stuff that gave him so much trouble last season.

There is a new sheriff in town and Braylons can either get on board or cost himself a ton of dough. Just go back to getting downfield and making the big catch when it presents itself. He's still going to drop some balls, it's in his blood. But it would be virtually impossible to replicate last year's debacle since he won't be used the same and Mangini will sit his ass if he has to.

There can be a future for him with this franchise but none of it will matter if he plays like he did last year.

Archived