THE BROWNS BOARD

The Harvard Think Tank

Orion

...The Committee...The Geek Squad....the new Three Stooges.   

Sashi Brown, Executive Vice President, Football Operations,    Paul DePodesta, Chief Strategy Officer,     Andrew Berry, Vice President, Player Personnel

This is the brain trust of the Browns.  Supposedly Hue Jackson is the 4th member of the 'trust' but I'm not sure how much he's allowed to be a voice in anything.  

Certainly they haven't had enough time to transform the Browns from a 3 or 4 win team to a super bowl contender.  But they seem to have been able to transform them from that 3 - 4 win team to a team that cannot win a game.  They HAVE however been able to help OTHER teams.  The Eagles are at the top of their division at 5 - 1 with the QB that could've been the Browns signal caller....and just last April they allowed Houston to have Deshaun Watson who seems to be progressing nicely in his rookie year.  

Through 6 weeks of this season the Browns have tried 4 QB's to lead the team.  After benching the developing 2nd round pick DeShone Watson for the 2nd year player Kevin Hogan Hue Jackson seems desperate to try and get something positive to happen from the QB position.  The wounded Houston defense however, made Hogan look as bad as Deshone Watson.  Hue still has Cody Kessler he can put in there but he seems to have totally given up on him.  What does Hue do now?

The team is foundering.  The vast majority of the problem is the QB position.  Of course the WR position is also in a state of disarray.  

The Harvard Think Tank had better put their thinking caps on.  I don't know how much more of this the Jimmy, or the fans can take.

Let's see...Troy Aikman said he was 0-11 in his rookie year, bradshaw admits he was nearly booed out of

pukesburg he was so bad....

The defense is now serious kickass business. Not perfect, but very good. Tweak pass coverage however.

The offense - needs fixed, doesn't have the get open explosive out of breaks wr's.  Playoffs next year.

I never freaking give up on the Browns...but I give up on being right there on time to watch NFL games anymore.

Goodhell is a clusterfook.

• Upvote 1

this idea that the defense is good is laughable.

Rush defense?  Who gives a **** about that?  This is the nfl in 2017.  As another poster said, running the football with running backs is a side game.  

Our defensive stats are also misleading because in the last third of some games the other team isn't even trying to score really and is just killing clock.  Look at more telling stats like first half total scoring and first half drive percentage success....we're at the very bottom of the league in one and near the bottom in another.

Our defense, while not as bad as our offense, still blows.

25 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

Rush defense?  Who gives a **** about that?  This is the nfl in 2017.  As another poster said, running the football with running backs is a side game.  

Our defensive stats are also misleading because in the last third of some games the other team isn't even trying to score really and is just killing clock.  Look at more telling stats like first half total scoring and first half drive percentage success....we're at the very bottom of the league in one and near the bottom in another.

Our defense, while not as bad as our offense, still blows.

Yup, subtract the 7 points our offense gave them, it's still not great.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Let's see...Troy Aikman said he was 0-11 in his rookie year, bradshaw admits he was nearly booed out of

Yup.  Many of us are aware that it takes some time for a QB to catch up to NFL football.   But you've just mentioned two #1 overall picks.  Our guys are to QB's as Ray Farmer was to WR's.  They don't draft them high.  Our guys GIVE high draft picks to OTHER teams so that THEY can draft the QB.  They want to find a Tom Brady in rounds 2 or 3 apparently.

Now, as far as Hue goes, he's got TWO young QB's dangling like puppets.  Personally, I'd go back to Watson and live with HIS learning curve....but I'll be interested to see what the Harvard Think Tank tells Hue to do.

• Upvote 1

I am still to this day okay with the strategy these guys have in mind. Our team 2 years ago was DEVOID of talent outside of Joe Thomas and maybe 3-4 others. The team didn't need a reboot, it needed an explosion which is what they did. On top of that, the only a team is EVER going to improve for the long-term is through the draft. I was fine with many of the moves they've made to acquire picks, and I still argue the Osweiler deal is one that'll go down in the books as genius in terms of skirting the rules. 

With that being said, it's hard to swallow where we are. It's hard to watch Carson Wentz and Watson in particular rise the ladder quickly and see the garbage we have makes you scratch your head. But I gotta say, this draft they are aligned to really propel things forward. Let's see if they get the shot to draft the guys though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Per a report on the radio, it appears that Jimmy Haslam is not happy and steps are already on the way to at least "tweak" the makeup of the front office....though this same report said don't be surprised if Sachi/Depo/Hue would all be out at the end of the year if things don't look up.  Minimally they would appoint a "Director/President of Football Operations".  Can you say Peyton?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Per a report on the radio, it appears that Jimmy Haslam is not happy and steps are already on the way to at least "tweak" the makeup of the front office....though this same report said don't be surprised if Sachi/Depo/Hue would all be out at the end of the year if things don't look up.  Minimally they would appoint a "Director/President of Football Operations".  Can you say Peyton?

I think I heard that the Browns are refuting that report.    But then, that's what you'd expect.

........where you been?

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Yup.  Many of us are aware that it takes some time for a QB to catch up to NFL football.   But you've just mentioned two #1 overall picks.  Our guys are to QB's as Ray Farmer was to WR's.  They don't draft them high.  Our guys GIVE high draft picks to OTHER teams so that THEY can draft the QB.  They want to find a Tom Brady in rounds 2 or 3 apparently.

Now, as far as Hue goes, he's got TWO young QB's dangling like puppets.  Personally, I'd go back to Watson and live with HIS learning curve....but I'll be interested to see what the Harvard Think Tank tells Hue to do.

So two guys who were #1 overall picks took a year to acclimate to the NFL, but you're wishing our 2nd round guy acclimated faster?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

So two guys who were #1 overall picks took a year to acclimate to the NFL, but you're wishing our 2nd round guy acclimated faster?

Don't mess with a good "woulda shoulda coulda"...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Don't mess with a good "woulda shoulda coulda"...

You're quoting one of the two people that I have on my ignore list so I don't know who he or she is talking to....and don't really care.

But yes, I get to say Woulda Shoulda Coulda....because I wanted us to draft Wentz right from the start (January 2016).  I also wanted the Think Tank to think VERY hard why we shouldn't draft Trubisky.....noting that QB's should be rated on a curve because of the tremendous importance that position has on the success of a football team.  As good as Myles Garrett 'may' be...is he more valuable than a good QB?   Even if Garrett turns out to be semi great.....he tackles people, along with 10 other guys.  He does not throw any TD passes.

Tom Brady makes up for A LOT of deficiencies on the Patriots defense.  Now, I'm not saying that Wentz, Trubisky or Deshaun Watson are gonna be Tom Bradys....I'm saying that more than anything else, we need a good QB.

Will Kizer be our 'good QB'?  Well, we certainly don't know that yet.  He's going to need playing time in order to evaluate his progress (or lack thereof).  If I were Hue, I'd put him back in and try to coach him through the season of hard knocks.  And when January rolls around, evaluate on what progress (or lack thereof) was made and whether or not to draft a QB with our #1 pick in April.

10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

The defense is now serious kickass business. Not perfect, but very good. Tweak pass coverage however.

The offense - needs fixed, doesn't have the get open explosive out of breaks wr's.  Playoffs next year.

I never freaking give up on the Browns...but I give up on being right there on time to watch NFL games anymore.

Goodhell is a clusterfook.

it's not JUST about the QB. it's the consistency of over-thinking by brainiacs. 'let's get more picks....cuz analytically it makes sense!'

all this great this and great that and kickass and we are dead last in overall power rankings....yeah #32 out of 32.

cheers to your cat cuz some of you are gonna eat crow. i'd start practicing on pigeon feathers.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

No, she’s not. She’s here to say something stupid and surround it with decent grammar in order to make it look smart.

Well... that ought to help... :o

For the record I appreciate a lot of Orion's takes as well... don't always agree with them as is the case with yours, but I find them to be well reasoned by and large...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, miktoxic said:

it's not JUST about the QB. it's the consistency of over-thinking by brainiacs. 'let's get more picks....cuz analytically it makes sense!'

Ya know, it DOES make sense.  But not when you're sacrificing the QB position.  I mean, it's the whole name of the game isn't it?  It's far and away the most important position.

AFTER you get your QB....then you can phuck around with your analytics calculator.  Sure...the Titans were MORE than willing to give Goff to the Rams and take a bunch of picks.  They ALREADY HAD their QB.  We're doing it bass-ackwards.  -  Unless that's the plan.  Lose every friggin' game for YEARS.  Be the laughing stock.  Ruin the team's tradition and records.  Make the fans feel like $hit while gathering ASSets.  Then, after the last season ticket holder burns his ticket, draft a QB high.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, miktoxic said:

all this great this and great that and kickass and we are dead last in overall power rankings....yeah #32 out of 32.

cheers to your cat cuz some of you are gonna eat crow. i'd start practicing on pigeon feathers.

Go back and read my post. I talked about the dismal state of the wr crew. I believe most if not everybody knows it isn't just about the qb. When you have a poorly talented team, you need extra picks. period. They went with defense 6 out of their first eight picks in the last draft. and I don't give a freaking diddley nothin about their stupidass power rankings.

The Browns are building a team. They drafted a cb that had some serious skills. broke his knee cap. How in the hell is that "over-thinking" ? I loved their last draft - if they had drafted Wentz, we'd have some whiners bitching that he was still losing games, etc etc etc etvc etc. The Browns are on the RIGHT TRACK. More picks was necessary. too bad, so sad, but it was. I think they made some great picks. But the offense needs game breakers at wr, a better back than Crowell, and they need Kizer to start getting it...or not. Too early to judge Kizer. period. Just because they don't have ALL the players they need, doesn't mean that the sky is falling. That defense kicks butt, but the offense is giving them a tough outing every game with punts  and turnovers.

First of all, a President or vice or whatever of "Football operations" Is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Didn't we even have Mike Holmgren some "great coach"? What the fuk is that title do? Was there such a thing 20 years ago? Then why is this "President of football operations" NOT DOING ANYTHING? What does the coach do then? who the fuk is this clown? Sounds to me they created a job so they could help finger the blame as to why we suck butt. "Well I am the President of football operations and I will turn this team around" Excuse me while I laugh at you. I am being honest here, What is the President of Football operations job? Seeing how we have won 1 game in 2 seasons sounds like he is not doing it or just sucks at it.  Our team in 1999 didn't look as bad as these guys.

He's the guy folks can actually point to when a draft pick isn't all-pro after his first preseason... still f'd up to point that early, but at least they would be pointing to the right guy...

15 hours ago, Orion said:

...and I yours.

stock-photo-clinking-beer-glasses-on-blu

On 10/16/2017 at 9:56 AM, Tacosman said:

Rush defense?  Who gives a **** about that?  This is the nfl in 2017.  

It's  a step. We haven't been able to stop the run in like, forever.

I'm not happy, trust me. But the key to winning the AFC North is stopping the run, and running the ball.

1 hour ago, Bob806 said:

It's  a step. We haven't been able to stop the run in like, forever.  Wholeheartedly agree.

I'm not happy, trust me. But the key to winning the AFC North is stopping the run, and running the ball. Wholeheartedly disagree.

The AFC East (Patriots) is no different than the AFC North.   We get wind, rain, snow all at the same time or any combination of.  The Patriots have set passing records in blizzards.

Yes, you have to be able to stop the run or teams won't even bother to throw the ball (except just to keep in practice).  

3 hours ago, Orion said:

The AFC East (Patriots) is no different than the AFC North.   We get wind, rain, snow all at the same time or any combination of.  The Patriots have set passing records in blizzards.

Yes, you have to be able to stop the run or teams won't even bother to throw the ball (except just to keep in practice).  

I hear you, it's a pass happy league.

But, the glass-half-full take is we are stopping the run. If we, and it's a big IF because WR and QB are bigger needs, get a dynamic RB, we may be on to something. Crowell is a goner, and I think he's average anyway.

49 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

I hear you, it's a pass happy league.

It really and truly is.  The speed of the defensive front 7's of today and the rules protecting the receivers have driven the game toward passing.

The rules protecting the receivers (& QB) were needed in so many ways.  First of all, it really was never fair to receivers to be stretching out to catch a pass while the DB doesn't give a rats butt about intercepting....or even if you catch it or not...he just wants to smash the hell of out you while you're in that prone position.  That was always wrong.

Secondly, It makes the game more 'entertaining' to be catching passes and putting more points on the boards.  More appealing to the less 'die-hard' fans.

Thirdly, the NFL could see what was happening to the run game over the years...with the defensive players getting so fast compared to the years of Jim Brown or even OJ Simpson's era.  It was getting harder and harder to run.  Also, rosters were expanded.  You had more guys that could be rotated in on the DL..  The game clock rules changed such that simply going out of bounds did not halt the clock.  This effectively shortened the game so those big DLinemen aren't quite as tired in the 4th quarter.  In the old days you would wear down the D with the run and take control with it late in the game.  It's simply not the case anymore.  Now you have to pass to set up the run.

1 hour ago, Bob806 said:

Crowell is a goner, and I think he's average anyway.

You're not alone in that thinking.  To me, he's good enough for what is required in today's NFL.  Sure, bringing in someone better is always good...but we need 'better' in other areas too...like WR, DB,  perhaps LB, someone is going to have to replace Joe Thomas before too long...etc.  (won't get into the elephant in the room)