THE BROWNS BOARD

FO you are much too good to us

Westside Steve

On 10/17/2017 at 10:23 AM, Westside Steve said:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/10/cleveland_may_not_be_strong_en.html

I guess it's the old "this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you" idea.

;)

WSS

He.is a moron.

FFS.

"P.Manning For GM" is exactly why teams suck for a long time.  He was good on the field but that has no correlation to his decision-making after the chinstrap is unbuckled.

We have talent on this roster - it's not perfect but no roster is.  Look at the Ravens -- Name one player on their offense who you'd take on this roster this season.. I wouldn't take Flacco because his contract is terrible while his skill is barely a smurf's asshair above average.  Other than him, Browns are better at every position, including WR.  And their [our?] GM is supposed to be an icon even though he still hasn't drafted a usable WR since they became the Ravens.

Bringing in some fool won't get either raw talent or a legitimately successful scheme to win.  Williams will keep blitzing every other play and we'll keep losing until we get a AllPro starting QB.. and then magically when playing from ahead, blitzing every play will work.

7 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

FFS.

"P.Manning For GM" is exactly why teams suck for a long time.  He was good on the field but that has no correlation to his decision-making after the chinstrap is unbuckled.

We have talent on this roster - it's not perfect but no roster is.  Look at the Ravens -- Name one player on their offense who you'd take on this roster this season.. I wouldn't take Flacco because his contract is terrible while his skill is barely a smurf's asshair above average.  Other than him, Browns are better at every position, including WR.  And their [our?] GM is supposed to be an icon even though he still hasn't drafted a usable WR since they became the Ravens.

Bringing in some fool won't get either raw talent or a legitimately successful scheme to win.  Williams will keep blitzing every other play and we'll keep losing until we get a AllPro starting QB.. and then magically when playing from ahead, blitzing every play will work.

So how much worse could it be? This level of incompetence is almost unparalleled in the history of the game.

WSS

On 10/18/2017 at 7:12 AM, Tour2ma said:

Hey... I love snark!

Elway joined the Broncos FO as Executive VP in 2011. The then GM stayed on thru that draft season before leaving at which time Elway assumed the GM role. Let's look at his track record...

First his drafts...

This is a great post because it just shows how people's scouting/drafting skills get framed so differently based on a bunch of other things.

I think if you look at the last 7 drafts of just about every other team in the league they'd all look about the same.  A few hits and a lot more "misses".  The other thing that stands out is Elway, known as a brilliant GM, won a superbowl in his FIFTH year.  You could argue the only reason he lasted 5 years is he got a couple years of late prime Peyton Manning before piecing together a defense good enough to carry them to a championship.  He had TIME to build a team.

To me those drafts look like one game changing Superstar on Defense (who most people would've picked), a few really good impact players, and some decent role players.  

We are 2 drafts into this regime and people already think these guys suck at drafting.  It's just crazy.  We have an insane amount of draft capital and cap space and have a superstar in Garrett and a bunch of other young players with potential (and of course they won't all pan out but that's the way it goes!).  Everyone swings and misses but we have a lot more swings to take going forward and that's a really good thing

BINGO! and not just cause you largely agree with me... although it doesn't hurt.

Picks are chances to hit. The more picks you have, the more chances you have. We've had a lot of chances in two years... and we still have a lot... and that ain't bad.

Our track record?

• I'm already on record as saying we punted a bit in 2016. Did not fully know the team... Took our new process out of the garage for its shake down cruise (mixed metaphor intended)... So we massaged our picks sending a couple out for down and out and up moves, and then threw a net at a school of WRs in hopes of coming up seven (also intended). Not looking good there, but also landed a pair of Coleman's, DE's, LB, S and OG/OT... all contributing, if not starring, with further potential or quality backup depth. Overall we got descent larks for our haul.
  • 2017? Fewer picks... more dealing, but up this time as well nabbing starters and players-in-training (PITs??? Need to work on that acromyn...). And we got even better marks.

Stay tuned...

PS: Plus this FO landed Collins and McCourty and Zeitler and Taylor and Coley... and extended Bito.

Tretter and Britt? Pick away at that bone... I like our average.

And don't forget they pulled the stunts with the punter, Gilbert, and Erving trades. Beautiful.

Tour, would love to read a breakdown on each of our draftees over the last two years on what you feel their future is with this team. 

Maybe some day on the breakdown...

I forgot to mention Erving in the TNF thread... same old Cam. And Fischer? He can't hold Joe's jock...

Archived