THE BROWNS BOARD

Not so fast on the NFL qb draft train for next year

calfoxwc

Only saw the start of the game as I had a "do" to attend last evening (did record the game, but fell asleep "watching" it later)... anyway...

Saw a lot of great scheming by PSU for Barkley including that long TD run to open his night... thought he was going to stumble and fall twice during it... but "generational RB" did not leap off the screen at any point of what I saw.

Still have the recording tho, so can dive in again... better rested. IF there's any play or plays on which I need to focus... let me know.

Did see a couple other PSUers that impressed me... on D... Love #40's Singletary-like eyes at LB and then there was a pretty stout DE whose number escapes me ATM...

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Only saw the start of the game as I had a "do" to attend last evening (did record the game, but fell asleep "watching" it later)... anyway...

Saw a lot of great scheming by PSU for Barkley including that long TD run to open his night... thought he was going to stumble and fall twice during it... but "generational RB" did not leap off the screen at any point of what I saw.

Still have the recording tho, so can dive in again... better rested. IF there's any play or plays on which I need to focus... let me know.

Did see a couple other PSUers that impressed me... on D... Love #40's Singletary-like eyes at LB and then there was a pretty stout DE whose number escapes me ATM...

Just gonna bump this for you. 

20 minutes ago, wargograw said:

Just gonna bump this for you. 

When the Shmuck did I ever say he was a generational talent? What I said and will continue to say is he's a top RB prospect on the same scale of Elliot or fournette. To say "well take away big plays and he's average" sounds so stupid. That's what you draft a guy like that for. He was the best player on the field and it shows.

The funny part is I don't even want the dude that's badly. 

18 hours ago, wargograw said:

Yet again, sans his long of 69, he threw up under 3 ypc. 

So so are we just gonna count on him busting 50+ yard runs routinely in the NFL to have a respectable average? 

not a positive or negative comment on barkley(I have no opinion), but this is a ridiculous way of looking at things.....also, NO nfl running back can consistently grind out 4 yards a carry in the absence of big runs.  It's just not possible.  So if you are going to draft a running back in the first round you may as well take one who can bust huge runs because there isn't anyone who can consistently average 4+ yards per carry outside of those big runs.

At this point of the college season, the only guy I'd be interested taking in the first round at QB would POSSIBLY be Lamar Jackson.  I think he needs at least one more year of college ball, but I doubt he stays.  Lamar throws a gorgeous, looping "drop it in the bucket" deep ball, and appears to be pretty accurate on other passes as well.  He's not perfect, and definitely needs a ton of refinement, but Lamar's physical skills make him so tempting that a team will certainly draft him high in 2018.  

I don't know if he can stay healthy with his style, and I don't know if he can truly "read a defense", but the guy is terrifying for opposing defenses.  ESPECIALLY in the red zone.

Jackson is getting harder to ignore... something I prefer to do with heavily run-oriented, Collegiate QBs. Something the NFL trend is making harder to do.

Thought he was too small (or slight) in previous seasons, but he's now 6'3 213, so the kid is built to run and runs pretty smart. That said he has coughed up 19 fumbles losing 11 of them. Not all may be on the run, however. Some are likely pocket strips.

Passing... looks much more comfortable in the pocket this season and, as you said, is making some gorgeous throws.

15 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

When the Shmuck did I ever say he was a generational talent? What I said and will continue to say is he's a top RB prospect on the same scale of Elliot or fournette. To say "well take away big plays and he's average" sounds so stupid. That's what you draft a guy like that for. He was the best player on the field and it shows.

When did I say you said? ;) It's a characterization I've heard by a talking head or four.

As for excluding plays... Some "big plays" are more attributable to an individual effort than others. Some are just the right call vs. the right D and well executed by the "team". Barkley's opening TD simply falls into the latter category... IMO. So IMO it's fair to discount it... not completely, but heavily... since all he really did in that instance was "run fast in a straight line and not fall down."

Have to add that the "not fall down" part looked to be strangely iffy in at least two strides of that "fast run".

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So how is our UCLA boy doing since he lasered A&M apart in a 34 point deficit 20 min clock comeback?

Carrying a heavy load... but knees only buckled once so far. UCLA's run-D is virtually non-existent.

Passing Rushing
Rk Date School   Opponent   Cmp Att Pct Yds TD Int Rate Att Yds Avg TD
  7 Games         200 315 63.5 2620 19 8 148.2 30 -23 -0.8 1
1 2017-09-03 UCLA   Texas A&M W 35 59 59.3 491 4 0 151.6 5 -14 -2.8 0
2 2017-09-09 UCLA   Hawaii W 22 25 88.0 329 5 0 264.5 2 -17 -8.5 0
3 2017-09-16 UCLA @ Memphis L 34 56 60.7 463 4 2 146.6 7 32 4.6 1
4 2017-09-23 UCLA @ Stanford L 40 60 66.7 480 3 2 143.7 3 15 5.0 0
5 2017-09-30 UCLA   Colorado W 28 45 62.2 372 1 1 134.6 5 7 1.4 0
6 2017-10-14 UCLA @ Arizona L 20 34 58.8 219 0 3 95.3 6 -35 -5.8 0
7 2017-10-21 UCLA   Oregon W 21 36 58.3 266 2 0 138.7 2 -11 -5.5 0
    Passing Rushing Total Offense First Downs Penalties Turnovers
Split G Cmp Att Pct Yds TD Att Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg Pass Rush Pen Tot No. Yds Fum Int Tot
Offense 7 28.9 45.6 63.3 380.6 2.7 30.1 129.6 4.3 2.1 75.7 510.1 6.7 16.9 7.9 2.0 26.7 9.0 86.0 1.0 1.1 2.1
Defense 7 15.1 28.3 53.5 190.6 1.7 49.7 303.4 6.1 2.6 78.0 494.0 6.3 8.4 11.7 4.4 24.6 8.0 70.7 0.4 0.6 1.0
Difference   +13.8 +17.3 +9.8 +190.0 +1.0 -19.6 -173.8 -1.8 -0.5 -2.3 +16.1 +0.4 +8.5 -3.8 -2.4 +2.1 +1.0 +15.3 +0.6 +0.5 +1.1

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Such posting of College players may fit into the College Football Forum?

True, but traffic is much lighter in that section... so for big topics such as QBs, this section seems appropriate.

On 10/22/2017 at 6:52 PM, jrb12711 said:

The funny part is I don't even want the dude that's badly. 

So again, we’re going to count on him busting stuff for 50+ yards regularly in the NFL? Not gonna happen. 

On 10/22/2017 at 7:04 PM, Tacosman said:

not a positive or negative comment on barkley(I have no opinion), but this is a ridiculous way of looking at things.....also, NO nfl running back can consistently grind out 4 yards a carry in the absence of big runs.  It's just not possible.  So if you are going to draft a running back in the first round you may as well take one who can bust huge runs because there isn't anyone who can consistently average 4+ yards per carry outside of those big runs.

I’m aware you have to count on some bigger runs, but in the NFL, most of those are 15-20 yards, not 75. And you have a lot more negative runs. 

Barkley is an elite pass catching back. But he is, at least statistically, absolutely nothing to write home about as a runner. 

On 10/22/2017 at 7:24 PM, Clevfan4life said:

Saquons one of the best rb's ive seen in college in awile. Not sure he blocka as good as zeke but as far as running goes, saquons better than zeke

No he’s not. No chance. Certainly a better pass catcher though. 

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well Sat. night USC and Wyoming are on ESPN channels. Wy vs NM ESPNU @ 730 est and USC vs AzSt ESPN 1030 est

oh, I'm watching that. GREAT !

For those of you who haven't seen Darnold, I'm curious of what you guys think of his arm mechanics. Kind of 'Rivers like' in its awkwardness, but the end results are usually good.

I've seen every snap of the kid and still don't know............... 

14 minutes ago, D Bone said:

For those of you who haven't seen Darnold, I'm curious of what you guys think of his arm mechanics. Kind of 'Rivers like' in its awkwardness, but the end results are usually good.

I've seen every snap of the kid and still don't know............... 

I was totally sold on him after watching the Rose Bowl last year.   Dude was awesome and so calm and confident.   This year has been pretty shaky but I haven't watched the games that closely, just the highlights.

But it sounds like he's staying in  school anyways.

6 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I was totally sold on him after watching the Rose Bowl last year.   Dude was awesome and so calm and confident.   This year has been pretty shaky but I haven't watched the games that closely, just the highlights.

But it sounds like he's staying in  school anyways.

I hope for the kid's sake that he does stay in school as it will only make him a better pro QB...... Oh hey DeShone, I didn't see you there. 

Unless the FO gets replaced before the draft, The Barkley discussion could probably be shelved. Spending the first overall pick on a RB doesn’t seem likely for the analytics crew, or for the NFL in general. It’s been over 2 decades since any team has used the first overall on a RB. Interestingly enough, he was also from Penn State.

Just now, RoyceRolls said:

Unless the FO gets replaced before the draft, The Barkley discussion could probably be shelved. Spending the first overall pick on a RB doesn’t seem likely for the analytics crew, or for the NFL in general. It’s been over 2 decades since any team has used the first overall on a RB. Interestingly enough, he was also from Penn State.

I don't see how you can pass on a QB for a RB at the top of the draft.  Unless you can pay for Cousins to come to Cleveland or unless Kizer suddenly starts playing like Joe Montana

I don’t know how a team can take a RB ahead of everyone else, regardless of team needs. Even if the Browns were desperate for a new RB, it would make far more sense to spend a 2nd 4th and 6th rounder on RBs, casting a wide net and letting the cream rise to the top. Those 3 picks combined still don’t come close to approaching the value of first overall. 

20 hours ago, BaconHound said:

College QBs looking pedestrian this season.  Mayfield has been the most consistent passer but he isn't an NFL QB

Right.  People said that we should pass up on Trubisky/Watson etc. last year because it was a mediocre QB crop.....and because 2018 was going to be oh so great.  

BALDERDASH.   2017 looks like it may become much better than 2018.

Archived