THE BROWNS BOARD

So if Jackson is gone...

Westside Steve

I don't like Hue's clock management.  I don't like his QB management.  I don't like his play calling down near the goal line. But the team that the Harvard Think Tank has disassembled for him would make Don Shula look bad.  -  Sorry, not even close to answering the original question. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

As much as I hate to say it,  but most of what is said here I believe to be true.  The only part that may be questionable is saying that Hue is not respected.

Hue DOES have to turn things around to keep the above from being fully completely accurate.

Let me clarify what I mean by respect. Hue is a gentleman and no doubt a hard worker. He has made a career in a field that few can survive in. He even has my respect in that regard. I am referring more to the many players who are dropping footballs, missing tackles, making penalties, etc. I believe that is a sign of disrespect. I just don't think that the majority of players revere this guy.

2 hours ago, wargograw said:

This point really means nothing. 

It meant enough for you to take time and quote me... or am I just your new Johnny like man crush? 

God I hope not. 

52 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

I am referring more to the many players who are dropping footballs

....basically just quoting the fact.

Ya know why players drop passes?    Cos they're not conseratin' (gumby knows what I mean). :)

They're afraid of getting hit and gettin' a boo-boo (this was Braylon Edwards' problem).

They're trying to RUN with the ball before they even catch it.  (happens a lot on curl routes...or anytime they wait for the ball)

Other than concentration there's body catchers that have balls bounce off of their pads (or facemask in Greg Little's case).

---------

sorry, now back to Let's Fire Hue and hire You Know Who.

Its just not fair asking coaches to come in here and wirk with perennially the wirst rosters in all of football....abd only be goven 2 years max to turn it around. Im sorry but hue has to stay for 5 years if for no other reason then to show the nfl and potential future coaches clevland isnt a joke box anymore

23 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Its just not fair asking coaches to come in here and wirk with perennially the wirst rosters in all of football....abd only be goven 2 years max to turn it around. Im sorry but hue has to stay for 5 years if for no other reason then to show the nfl and potential future coaches clevland isnt a joke box anymore

Outside of Da Bungles, no coach in the history of the NFL is going to get 5 years to turn things around..... 

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Outside of Da Bungles, no coach in the history of the NFL is going to get 5 years to turn things around..... 

I don't think anyone is guaranteeing five years. I don't think two is enough when rebuilding a team. Again most of these players will begin to mature at around the same time.

WSS

14 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Meanwhile back at the OP...

Love a string of rhetorical questions... also love answering them.

I don't think two coaches removed from Chud that commitment is a serious issue. Commitment in the form of a fully guaranteed contract is commitment enough for most candidates... even Browns candidates.

of course if you are a sought-after coach and your choices are among three or four teams and all but one you could trust to give you enough time to implement your program?

Mishandling "stuff"... Also a non-factor IMO. First, there's a significant lack of evidence. Second, any HC knows there's a business side to every franchise.

sure they do. Of course if I was a coach oh, and I had other options, I might shy away from the team who is going to spend the league minimum. Wouldn't you?

"Lack of input", a/k/a "control"... every HC wants it. Most HC's don't get it. Most that do get it, eff it up.

lack of input? Do you think being forced to play Johnny Manziel put the nail in Mike Pettine's coffin? You think we'd be better or worse if they haven't jettisoned as many average Veterans as they did? I understand the plan but it's like being a contestant on Hell's Kitchen and you're given five bags of seeds and it's expected of you to make a loaf of bread in 2 hours. Hello smelly old helmet how's my little darling today

I said a couple days ago that so long as he holds, as in does not lose, the locker room, then Hue should be safe. To do so even while going 2-30 over two seasons would be a monumental feat... not accomplishment... feat. It would be testimony that the players believe in what I have been seeing/preaching/clinging to... that there is progress, if not success, but that success is coming.

it might. Don't know exactly what the evidence would be going 2 + 30.

WSS

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I don't think anyone is guaranteeing five years. I don't think two is enough when rebuilding a team. Again most of these players will begin to mature at around the same time.

WSS

Which is exactly the Cleveland Browns is the biggest joke on the market.  Known for letting a coach go after 1 or 2 years.  Keep Hue a minimum of 3 years, if only to show we will put up with a coach whether he is doing well or not.  This team (not FO or head Coaches) cannot afford to let another coach go so soon.  I'll live with Hue not getting it done for another 2 years.  But, at least, lets see what the FO does with our picks next year.  At least give Hue that much and let him have some input.

8 minutes ago, dawg2fan said:

Which is exactly the Cleveland Browns is the biggest joke on the market.  Known for letting a coach go after 1 or 2 years.  Keep Hue a minimum of 3 years, if only to show we will put up with a coach whether he is doing well or not.  This team (not FO or head Coaches) cannot afford to let another coach go so soon.  I'll live with Hue not getting it done for another 2 years.  But, at least, lets see what the FO does with our picks next year.  At least give Hue that much and let him have some input.

Exactly my position even though I have a tendency to seem negative here on the board. I'm just not one of the sunshine boys. ( I have a sneaking suspicion the Harvard boys pulled the wool over the eyes of Jimmy and his dumbass wife).

But if you fold you never know what your opponent has in his hand.

And how much worse could it be?

WSS

14 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Let me clarify what I mean by respect. Hue is a gentleman and no doubt a hard worker. He has made a career in a field that few can survive in. He even has my respect in that regard. I am referring more to the many players who are dropping footballs, missing tackles, making penalties, etc. I believe that is a sign of disrespect. I just don't think that the majority of players revere this guy.

I am not sure how you make the leap from players failing to execute to a lack of respect for the coach.  I mean, I do think the team lacks discipline, certainly.  and that is coaching. Are you saying that a lack of discipline equals a lack of respect for the coach?  I mean, maybe, in a weird way.....but it is a long twisted leap.

20 hours ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

TL;DR

I need to start doing abstracts as well....

Agree with all else. My Chud point was merely that the one-and-done impulse has been suppressed... PROGRESS! A two-year hook is much closer to, if not, the norm.

20 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I knew you would get it Homie, lol.

My name is Tour... and I'm here to help... plus...

"If we bring a little joy into your humdrum lives, it makes us feel as if our hard work ain't been in vain for nothing."

POP QUIZ: Name that movie...

20 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Say what you want about Bill B, but if a player doesn't do what he asks, or slacks off, he cuts them or benches them immediately. Whether it be Randy Moss, or Ochocinco, or many many others.

Keep Hue till the end of the year and re-evaluate. If the team doesn't progress and gets worse, get rid of him (the key term is progress, not win). If we start playing with fire and it comes together, keep him for next year.

I'll go ahead and say I definitely don't want a new coach and a new system at this point. But we damn well better win more than 4 games in 2018.

Agree with your bottom line and the open question of "fire"... which could be Williams' role in a "Fire and Ice" duo, but...

Using Moss as an example? The Moss that posted three consecutive, 1000+ yd seasons for the Pats starting each of 48 regular season games during his stay? Doesn't belong in the same sentence with Ocho-couldn't-handle-the-demands-the-Pats-place-upon-their-WRs-so-he-Sunko...

18 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Well, you "play to win", so next year, if Hue goes 1-15, he doesn't deserve a 4th year. If we start progressing this year, and have some fire next year, we should keep him.

Don’t think anyone’s arguing that. We’re talking about this year. 

18 hours ago, wargograw said:

This point really means nothing. 

Disagree... but there is an underlying issue: Are there 32 great NFL HC's "out there" at any one time?

History, pretty much says, "No."

15 hours ago, hoorta said:

Hold on there, h... there are more than you think. Since the beginning of the common draft the following HCs had 5-year stints in failed turnaround efforts...

• Alex Webster (NYG)
  • John Ralston (DNV)
  • Vince Tobin (AZ)
  • Jim Schwartz (DET)

A couple of the above sniffed "turnaround", but could not sustain it. But there are others, e.g., Jason Garrett, who pulled their a$$es out of the fire in their 5th year.

While we like to think of the Bagels as staying a long time with their HCs, their list doesn't really support that their patience includes abject failures.

# Name Term Regular season Playoffs Awards
GC W L T Win% GC W L
1 Paul Brown 19681975 112 55 56 1 .495 3 0 3 UPI NFL Coach of the Year (1969, 1970)
2 Bill Johnson* 19761978 33 18 15 0 .545  –  –  –  
3 Homer Rice* 19781979 27 8 19 0 .296  –  –  –  
4 Forrest Gregg 19801983 57 32 25 0 .561 4 2 2 UPI NFL Coach of the Year (1981)
5 Sam Wyche 19841991 121 61 66 0 .480 5 3 2  
6 Dave Shula* 19921996 71 19 52 0 .268  –  –  –  
7 Bruce Coslet 19962000 60 21 39 0 .350  –  –  –  
8 finger LeBeau 20002002 45 12 33 0 .267  –  –  –  
9 Marvin Lewis* 2003–present 224 118 103 3 .533 7 0 7 AP NFL Coach of the Year (2009)

7 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Meanwhile back at the OP...

Love a string of rhetorical questions... also love answering them.

I don't think two coaches removed from Chud that commitment is a serious issue. Commitment in the form of a fully guaranteed contract is commitment enough for most candidates... even Browns candidates.

1.) of course if you are a sought-after coach and your choices are among three or four teams and all but one you could trust to give you enough time to implement your program?

Mishandling "stuff"... Also a non-factor IMO. First, there's a significant lack of evidence. Second, any HC knows there's a business side to every franchise.

2.) sure they do. Of course if I was a coach oh, and I had other options, I might shy away from the team who is going to spend the league minimum. Wouldn't you?

"Lack of input", a/k/a "control"... every HC wants it. Most HC's don't get it. Most that do get it, eff it up.

3.) lack of input? Do you think being forced to play Johnny Manziel put the nail in Mike Pettine's coffin? You think we'd be better or worse if they haven't jettisoned as many average Veterans as they did? I understand the plan but it's like being a contestant on Hell's Kitchen and you're given five bags of seeds and it's expected of you to make a loaf of bread in 2 hours. Hello smelly old helmet how's my little darling today

I said a couple days ago that so long as he holds, as in does not lose, the locker room, then Hue should be safe. To do so even while going 2-30 over two seasons would be a monumental feat... not accomplishment... feat. It would be testimony that the players believe in what I have been seeing/preaching/clinging to... that there is progress, if not success, but that success is coming.

4.) it might. Don't know exactly what the evidence would be going 2 + 30.

1. Are all the teams offering me the same total package money?
  2. No... not a team who is clearly dedicated to spending the minimum... but that's not us. If you think it is, then I have two syllables for you... Zeit-ler. Our spend is right where it should be right now. I would definitely not go to a team who has no idea how to manage the cap... Would you?
  3. First, Manziel, who I do not know Pet was forced to pay by anything other than the regression and/or injury of his starter, is from a time preceding this FO... so he is not germane. Second... what kind of "seeds"... IIRC "grain" is ground seeds... so if I have a grinder I can whip you up a loaf of Irish soda bread inside of 1.5 hours and take a 1/2 hour nap...
  4. Same evidence there was at the end of Chud's HC "career"... lack of hustle on field, etc... Then there's always "hanging around the players".... a/k/a "Management by walking around"... best technique there is for keeping the pulse of any organization.

Stick with me... you'll have an MBA in no time... ;)

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:
  1. Are all the teams offering me the same total package money?
  2.  no idea. I'm assuming it's not just the money.
  3. No... not a team who is clearly dedicated to spending the minimum... but that's not us. If you think it is, then I have two syllables for you... Zeit-ler. Our spend is right where it should be right now. I would definitely not go to a team who has no idea how to manage the cap... Would you?
  4.  I don't necessarily think we are under spending. I think we are over cutting of average players who could contribute.
  5. First, Manziel, who I do not know Pet was forced to pay by anything other than the regression and/or injury of his starter, is from a time preceding this FO... so he is not germane. Second... what kind of "seeds"... IIRC "grain" is ground seeds... so if I have a grinder I can whip you up a loaf of Irish soda bread inside of 1.5 hours and take a 1/2 hour nap...
  6.  and therein lies the rub of discussing this shjt we really don't know who was forced on who and what coach didn't like working with what general manager. I get the feeling he hated Johnny, possibly for good enough reason, and decided to run the team like his old man did. I'll teach that punk a lesson!
  7. Same evidence there was at the end of Chud's HC "career"... lack of hustle on field, etc... Then there's always "hanging around the players".... a/k/a "Management by walking around"... best technique there is for keeping the pulse of any organization.
  8.  hard to say. People get frustrated. I remember hearing and believing stories about Belichick's last year went art was forcing him to bench and starts different players to keep them from hitting a contract salary checkpoint. Not that that's what I think is happening here but just saying there are reasons.

Stick with me... you'll have an MBA in no time... ;)

but every bit of negativity will be washed away with a little bit of success and the second portion of the season.

WSS

20 hours ago, D Bone said:

If the head coach position of the Cleveland Browns were to open up, there would be plenty of coaches banging down their doors to take it, as it's 1 of only 32 jobs on the planet like it.  

All great coaches weren't great coaches until they became great coaches.....

I'm not sure this is true. Chudzinski and Pettine were hired as the Browns head coach while eliciting little to no interest from any other team looking to fill their HC position. I don't think that's a coincidence.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Disagree... but there is an underlying issue: Are there 32 great NFL HC's "out there" at any one time?

Most of those guys know they can wait a year and go somewhere that won’t completely kill their career though. 

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I am not sure how you make the leap from players failing to execute to a lack of respect for the coach.  I mean, I do think the team lacks discipline, certainly.  and that is coaching. Are you saying that a lack of discipline equals a lack of respect for the coach?  I mean, maybe, in a weird way.....but it is a long twisted leap.

NO, it isn't twisted at all man. Soldiers kill for their generals. This is a staple of team performance. You don't let your team, you fans your coach down. It is absolutely a lack of respect.

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

Who would ever expect a team full of rookies and second year players to make a ton of mental mistakes?

Not acceptable, not an applicable apology. Your insinuation is total nonsense.

• What is different about catching a football in the NFL versus college, HS and peepee football?
  • What is different about not jumping offside in the NFL versus college, HS and peepee football?
  • What is different about not holding in the NFL versus college, HS and peepee football?
  • What is different about pass interference or a DB turning to look for the ball in the NFL versus college, HS and peepee football?

On an on it goes. I am not talking about Kizer misreading coverage type mistakes. Those are not the problems. This team is so weak fundamentally that it is shameful. Any NFL coach worth his keep would have ironed out 90% of this BS in his first preseason. These guys are not suddenly going to become disciplined in year three.

Some people believe that practice makes perfect, but it doesn't, PERFECT practice makes perfect. Conversely, when one continually repeats bad behavior, the mind and the body assimilate that behavior and it becomes part of the person's psyche. This business of poo-pooing a lack of discipline under the guise of inexperience is no good. young players or not, they lack discipline, and being young has nothing to do with it.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:02 PM, Westside Steve said:

Then the Cleveland Browns landed the consensus most sought-after coach in the league.

To me, at least, I was surprised that Jackson signed so quickly.

Maybe it was because his family did not have to move.  However, why would the 'consensus most sought-after coach in the league' sign with the Browns without - even - interviewing with another team.  Maybe his most-sought-after-status was a figment of the fan's imagination.

He played hard ball in getting rid of Johnny Football.  Probably a good thing.  However, he seems to play 'Mr. Softie' with everybody else.

He is considered - at least by some - to be a developer of QBs.  Maybe he got lucky in Cincy.  Besides Dalton (I will give him the benefit of the doubt), who has Jackson 'developed'?

Personally, I don't see how he gets another year.

29 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

Keep Hue Jackson until it's clear his skill set is what is holding the team back.

There is a reason that the 2 coaches Haslam has hired are Pettine & Jackson.

I see a choker under pressure. Sorry that's what it looks like.

Hue is toast. I suspect Sashi to be given the title of full President and Sashi old job will be merged with Berry to create the Vice President/GM job. Then Sashi/GM will hire new head coach without Haslam playing a big role in it.

The HC will be weakened considerably in future decision making.

5 minutes ago, Hempman said:

Hue is toast. I suspect Sashi to be given the title of full President and Sashi old job will be merged with Berry to create the Vice President/GM job. Then Sashi/GM will hire new head coach without Haslam playing a big role in it.

The HC will be weakened considerably in future decision making.

I think you're full of s h i t. 

13 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I see a choker under pressure. Sorry that's what it looks like.

What is Jackson's record in Cleveland?

What pressure?  What choke?

One could argue that Marty Schottenheimer was a 'choker under pressure' but he coached BIG games.  Jackson hasn't been in a big game since???????????????????????

Archived