THE BROWNS BOARD

If we have to take a QB in 2018........?????

Ghoolie

As I understand it, if teams are tied in record, strength of schedule determines who picks first, with the toughest schedule rendering the #1 #1 pick. Does anyone know if this is true or not? If it is true and the Browns wound up picking #1 #3, can they get the top guy, or a top guy in 2018? How many hot prospects do you think there are going to be in 2018? I suppose the Browns could trade #1 #3 and move up, but what if they win 4 or 5? Should they tank?

Just watched a LB named Tanking play at Kansas State but there was this Brady Tude guy at Oklahoma named Baker Mayfield..Man that kid is fun to watch  

29 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

This is not a good QB DRAFT class. No sure fire starters worthy of an over all Number 1 selection.

Potential, yes. Number 1 pick over all pottential ...... I'm just not seeing it.

If this is true, then we can count on the FO to trade back and accumulate 9 fourth round picks that will be future PS players.

5 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

This is not a good QB DRAFT class. No sure fire starters worthy of an over all Number 1 selection.

Potential, yes. Number 1 pick over all pottential ...... I'm just not seeing it.

I know but it's better than the one in which we took the 4th QB off the board.

I've often been a roll the dice on some low pick and hope he turns into Tom Brady. Maybe it's time to just make the damned investment.

WSS

4 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Screw drafting one,  pay Cousins enough to bring him here. Proven commodity, we can't afford any more lottery tickets at QB. Alternatively if Brisset takes Indy to the playoffs perhaps we can trade picks for Luck?

Amen to cousins brother. 

6 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Screw drafting one,  pay Cousins enough to bring him here. Proven commodity, we can't afford any more lottery tickets at QB. Alternatively if Brisset takes Indy to the playoffs perhaps we can trade picks for Luck?

Cousins would be my #1 target, and I would throw enough money at him that he couldn't refuse. 

I started talking about Andrew Luck this week, and it's worth exploring. Obviously it depends on his health, but it's something that could really turn us around quickly if we were to also acquire some WRs. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but I do NOT like this group of QBs at THIS POINT. There's still a lot of time for things to change, but I'm not seeing anything from anyone that tells me "we have to draft this guy". The only guy that really has me thinking is Lamar Jackson, and I just don't know if he can truly carry an NFL loaf. Deshaun Watson is actually helping his draft status immensely, but Watson was a senior who was much more established as a passer. Lamar is much more prolific as a runner, and I don't think we've EVER SEEN a QB with his level of speed, size, and agility. But you really don't want a running QB in the pros, and Lamar must be able to win from the pocket and do it consistently to be able to make it for any length of time. 

Lamar beat my Noles again, and didn't really have his best game. Actually, I take that back. He would've won easily if his receivers caught his two PERFECTLY thrown deep balls. I mean they were magnificent. Lamar CAN definitely throw the deep ball, it's whether or not he can master other routes in NFL playbooks. He's also very young, and I'd probably prefer another year of college before throwing him out on the field. This won't happen before he'll be mocked in the top 10, and he'd be a fool not to take the money. 

We aren't going to tank, but it's also likely we aren't going to win a game either. We simply don't have the necessary offensive talent to score those pesky touchdowns, and our receivers are laughably terrible. Kizer can't win with these schmucks, even if he actually threw it to the correct team all game. There are two or three games we COULD win, but everything would have to go right, and we all know that generally doesn't happen for us. We need Coleman back, but I'm not sure when that will be. Maybe 4 weeks from now? What we REALLY need is Josh Gordon AND Corey Coleman back, but Josh hasn't even APPLIED for reinstatement yet, and we are way too smart to ever get our hopes up for him. Britt is about to get cut, our other receivers are miserable, and Kizer hasn't displayed the ability to get better anyway. 

Kizer doesn't have to be completely amazing for this year to be considered a success, but he does obviously have to play much better. What really hurts is he's ALMOST done that, but his red zone efficiency has been so completely awful that it overshadows anything else he's done. If Kizer can somehow fix the red zone woes, it's possible he can salvage this season and give our team a chance to win a couple. Even if we just settle for FG's and take 3 points, that's infinitely better than the terrible turnovers. But...that's not a failsafe either because our poor kicker is miserable and I still don't trust Hue Jackson calling plays in the red zone. Hue needs to step up and Kizer needs to execute. WE NEED MORE POINTS. 

I like the fact Kizer called the players only meeting. I like the fact he got to sit and experience what that felt like. I like the fact he appears to take this very seriously and he seems to understand what's at stake. I've all but written Kizer off, but I've been wrong before and I realize he's VERY young. He needs to find a way to make some plays without turning it over, and our other players and coaches need to do everything in their power to help him out. That being said....here's my official prediction for today. 

Browns - 13

Titans - 34

11 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Send Cousins the San Francisco especially if they have the first pick.

WSS

It takes two to tango, and I'm not sure there's enough money in the world to convince a free agent like Cousins to come here when he's got options to go ANYWHERE/SOMEWHERE else.

If he's going to a shitty team, you'd think he'd go to San Fran, where he has a connection with Shanahan.

17 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

I don t know why the statement "this is not a good QB class" comes up each and every year but it does. We have stood back based on rhat euphemism and watched quite a few really good qbs get taken.

I think the Browns have been crippled by fear and their failure to parricipate in rhe top QB market has been a mistake.

That said, Kizer looks good today. The team continues to jurr irself with penalties

3 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

I don t know why the statement "this is not a good QB class" comes up each and every year but it does. We have stood back based on rhat euphemism and watched quite a few really good qbs get taken.

I think the Browns have been crippled by fear and their failure to parricipate in rhe top QB market has been a mistake.

That said, Kizer looks good today. The team continues to jurr irself with penalties

I wasn't one to say that in past drafts as I am not a believer in trading down. I believe in drafting elite players as drafting early allows you to do. I would have drafted several QB's Browns passed on.

I go on record as making the QB statement for THIS upcoming draft. There will be a successful QB in the upcoming draft, the question is (draft spot aside) will the  Browns select the right one ?

4 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

You my friend have been taken off ignore. 

1 minute ago, D Bone said:

Thanks.

Man, it is just so tough to watch this team do so many things really well. They outplayed TN, and again were the calls clowns of self destruction.

Just now, Ghoolie said:

Thanks.

Man, it is just so tough to watch this team do so many things really well. They outplayed TN, and again were the calls clowns of self destruction.

This is not me knob slobbering you as some will probably say, but a lot of what you have said is turning out to be spot on..... I just hated the way you said it, not what you said. 

Your patience / trust levels with The Process were among the shortest on the forum and I would guess mine was "about average" of the forum, as it seems lots of other people besides me have completely lost faith and hope on everything that the Browns are doing.

I have no idea how to fix this thing, but 1-22 during The Process proves that what they are doing isn't working, and no amounts of "just have faith D, they will win next year after another awesome draft" will make me believe in any way what they are doing is anything other than wrong....

I just ask you that you keep your current posting style from here on out, and if you do, based on your content you might just end up being King Ghoolie! 

1 minute ago, D Bone said:

This is not me knob slobbering you as some will probably say, but a lot of what you have said is turning out to be spot on..... I just hated the way you said it, not what you said. 

Your patience / trust levels with The Process were among the shortest on the forum and I would guess mine was "about average" of the forum, as it seems lots of other people besides me have completely lost faith and hope on everything that the Browns are doing.

I have no idea how to fix this thing, but 1-22 during The Process proves that what they are doing isn't working, and no amounts of "just have faith D, they will win next year after another awesome draft" will make me believe in any way what they are doing is anything other than wrong....

I just ask you that you keep your current posting style from here on out, and if you do, based on your content you might just end up being King Ghoolie! 

D Bone, thanks man. I want to clarify that I am not an impatient man. I am also not one just to start calling for heads because I like chaos. For sure, my style made it tough to listen to whatever my reason may have been. But this is a new era for TBB, for me and for our team. The reasons I wanted Hue fired in the 2016 preseason had to do what I believe were his obvious shortcomings. Dumb penalties, dropped passes, etc. are not things that one has to be patient about. Training camp is all that is needed to make a dramatic difference in those things. I saw no difference in Hue's 2016 team than in the previous teams. When you add his passive offensive style, haphazard QB beliefs, and lack of passion on the sideline, i just never believed Hue would amount to anything.

I wish I was wrong, but in my life, everything good that I have been blessed to achieve, always started not with talent, but with discipline and order. Fundamentals have to be ground zero and they just never have been with Hue. I honestly think this job is far too big for his skill set. You know, understanding the playbook and the stats, doesn't make a great HC. A great HC must be a leader of men, a motivator, a port in the storm. I just don't see Hue as a Lombardi, Cowher, Brown, Belichik, etc.

I think it must be very hard to be in Haslam's shoes this day.

22 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

I dont necessarily disagree but it makes me laugh hearing this all over now as last year it was all the rage to say the next draft was LOADED with can't miss QB's

15 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

I honestly think this job is far too big for his skill set. You know, understanding the playbook and the stats, doesn't make a great HC. A great HC must be a leader of men, a motivator, a port in the storm.

I agree with this he is a nice guy and we have highly regarded NFL people like Greg Williams, Kirby Wilson and Al Saunders in the building purely because of Hue, but HC is proving too much for him. He could make it easier on himself by getting help calling offensive plays but he's refusing, it will cost him his job if it hasn't already

2 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

I dont necessarily disagree but it makes me laugh hearing this all over now as last year it was all the rage to say the next draft was LOADED with can't miss QB's

Damn, if we had a nickle for every time someone talked about "there being so many franchise QBs in the 2018 draft" and "Suck for Sam" (or whatever the cute 'get the #1 for Darnold' chant was) we'd have enough money to buy Jimmah a silk hankie to wipe away his tears on Sundays with. 

9 hours ago, D Bone said:

Ditto. I like this version far more and have been selectively reading several days now. Off ignore list now and glad you stayed to cogently discuss sans alter-ego. Thanks.        Bill

Archived