THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe tore his tricep....

Clevfan4life

9 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

It sounds like JT may call it a career. It's a shame that we never had a good QB for him to block for. 

I can understand how somebody who is the best in the world at what he does would be hesitant to return if he felt the injury forced him to play at a diminished level.

I hope he can come back at 100%.

WSS

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I can understand how somebody who is the best in the world at what he does would be hesitant to return if he felt the injury forced him to play at a diminished level.

I hope he can come back at 100%.

WSS

I gotta agree with those thoughts. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him hang it up without looking back. Couldn't blame him of he did either. He has to be the sad sack of HOFers. 

5 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Joe Thomas was good, but he made absolutely no impact on the Browns. None,

He absolutely DID.  He protected our QB's.  Yes, QB's got hurt...but not because of the LT position.

17 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Eh, I could be wrong but the formula of aging vet + major injury =release or otherwise new team is pretty common in the NFL. From Peyton Manning on down it's just how it goes.

Especially with this FO, I could easily see them trading away JT for a mid-round pick.

Then name a bet... monetary... beeratary... whatevertary...

One... Joe's only 32... turns 33 in December. That is not old for an OT. And he showed absolutely no signs of slowing this season.

Two... the injury is not "major"... it's frickin' Tommy John. Pitchers now come back regularly from this reparative procedure better than ever... stronger than ever.

Three... he's stuck around looking to be part of a turn. I think he believes in our direction and if we post a good off-season, he'll be enticed to hang another year, his final contract year... and then extend.

I get that he's never rehab'd before, but the man shows up in shape year after year, so it's not like the work will be more than he's accustomed to doing... just more focused.

16 hours ago, gumby73 said:

imo, JT should get the CTE testing done while he's down.

Is that a thing? I thought detection was only by brain dissection, which would seem premature ATM... :P

15 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

He followed that tweet with this one. . .

MRI reveals torn tricep tendon. Surgery soon. Tough break.

So basically he's looking at Tommy John surgery...

Maybe has a future as a closer for the Tribe...

13 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Might as well get a lefty qb off the wire bow so that the right side is his blind side now. Can phil mickelson throw a spiral? Anybody know? Can someone tweet that question at him?

Maybe Kizer is ambidextrous?

I'm sure Hogan is... lol...

13 hours ago, jcam222 said:

I think he's overwhelmed with being injured. I believe his competitive spirit will drive him to return. 

Not feeling that... certainly is somber.

Joe's been hurt... has played hurt before (even on a bad knee he had cleaned up after one season a while ago IIRC)... but being injured to the point of not having a choice about playing? That's what's new.

Even in that light he's said this is not the time to decide anything and he's right... it's not.

In the end I think it'll be a battle between missing playing and potentially missing "the turn" for this franchise vs. his CTE concerns.

20 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Whoa buddy,  I NEVER said the OL was not important, and I never minimized the key role of LT. All I ever said was that good OL are not that hard to come by. Certainly they can be had a lot lower than the first round in the draft. Pittsburgh and the Patriots both won SBs with a makeshift OL put together at the last minute. OL get hurt a lot, It is the nature of the beast. Only in Cleveland are OL so hard to find. Why don't other teams spend years fixing their OL? How come other teams can bring guys in and out and still win titles?

Joe Thomas is a great LT, the best, absolutely. But irreplaceable? No, not at all. The only reason the Browns did not have an acceptable replacement for Joe is because the FO blows, and Hue is a useless HC.

Same can be said of receivers. Patriots and Seahawks won super bowls with makeshift, low round receiving corps as well...

45 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Then name a bet... monetary... beeratary... whatevertary...

One... Joe's only 32... turns 33 in December. That is not old for an OT. And he showed absolutely no signs of slowing this season.

Two... the injury is not "major"... it's frickin' Tommy John. Pitchers now come back regularly from this reparative procedure better than ever... stronger than ever.

Before we bet, I feel like you're not understanding what I'm saying. I actually agree with everything you're saying here. I definitely see him coming back, but I see the Browns brass (if we're talking about the same FO) moving him. It's what we did with Joe Haden, and what happens with aging vets all the time in the NFL.

14 hours ago, jcam222 said:

I think he's overwhelmed with being injured. I believe his competitive spirit will drive him to return. 

I have had this injury in not one.. but both arms.. Joe will NOT be back.. Trust me...

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

Before we bet, I feel like you're not understanding what I'm saying. I actually agree with everything you're saying here. I definitely see him coming back, but I see the Browns brass (if we're talking about the same FO) moving him. It's what we did with Joe Haden, and what happens with aging vets all the time in the NFL.

Cool... that criteria will work...

"If Joe returns, then he will not remain a Brown if our current FO is still in control."

Ye say Yay... I say nay...

2 hours ago, RoyceRolls said:

Same can be said of receivers. Patriots and Seahawks won super bowls with makeshift, low round receiving corps as well...

No argument from me. The point is, you can't win without playmakers. You can win without #1 draft pick OL. Joe Thomas truly was a waste of a high draft pick. He did nothing to impact the Browns fortunes.

2 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

. Joe Thomas truly was a waste of a high draft pick. He did nothing to impact the Browns fortunes.

Ur gripe shouldve about every high pick we missed on since joes draft. Picking joe wasnt the problem, it was every draft after that where we missed on everything.

joes 2007 draft had peterson and lynch available, but how good would they have been on clevelands perennially bad o line? Calvin johnson was in that class but he went before our pick. Its hard to fault the browns for taking jt. If johnson were available maybe that changes. But thank god we didnt have the #1 or we would have drafted jamarcus

1 minute ago, Clevfan4life said:

Ur gripe shouldve about every high pick we missed on since joes draft. Picking joe wasnt the problem, it was every draft after that where we missed on everything.

Put another way...

We should be so lucky as to have half our picks turn out as well as Joe...

14 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

No argument from me. The point is, you can't win without playmakers. You can win without #1 draft pick OL. Joe Thomas truly was a waste of a high draft pick. He did nothing to impact the Browns fortunes.

Ghoolie you are wrong on this subject. You said the top teams in NFL dont waste top picks on OL.

Well, here is the list of just 1st round OL with good teams recently. There will be a few that were 1st round picks and switched teams, but they still were 1sr rounders that helped their team succeed.

Atlanta: Jake Matthews, Alex Mack

Carolina Panthers: Matt Kalil

Dallas Cowboys: Zach Martin, Travis Frederick, Tyron Smith

Green Bay Packers: Bryan Bulaga

New England Patriots: Nate Solder

Philadelphia Eagles: Lane Johnson (just look at Wentz W-L record with and without him),

Pittsburgh Steelers: David Decastro, Maurkice Pouncey

Seattle Seahawks: Russell Okung

That is just since Joe Thomas was drafted. There has been a few 2nd rounders as well who turned into Pro Bowlers for competing teams.

I could have missed someone as I dont know every teams lineman

4 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

Ghoolie you are wrong on this subject. You said the top teams in NFL dont waste top picks on OL.

Well, here is the list of just 1st round OL with good teams recently. There will be a few that were 1st round picks and switched teams, but they still were 1sr rounders that helped their team succeed.

Atlanta: Jake Matthews, Alex Mack

Carolina Panthers: Matt Kalil

Dallas Cowboys: Zach Martin, Travis Frederick, Tyron Smith

Green Bay Packers: Bryan Bulaga

New England Patriots: Nate Solder

Philadelphia Eagles: Lane Johnson (just look at Wentz W-L record with and without him),

Pittsburgh Steelers: David Decastro, Maurkice Pouncey

Seattle Seahawks: Russell Okung

That is just since Joe Thomas was drafted. There has been a few 2nd rounders as well who turned into Pro Bowlers for competing teams.

I could have missed someone as I dont know every teams lineman

Those teams had playmakers, They didn't have the total vacuum of playmakers the Browns did. TOTALLY different issue.

To be honest, the best thing that could have happened to the Browns is for Thomas to get hurt. Without the circle jerk over how phenomenal he is, now the Browns organization will face real scrutiny. 

Thanks for your service Joe, now run along.

1 minute ago, Ghoolie said:

Those teams had playmakers, They didn't have the total vacuum of playmakers the Browns did. TOTALLY different issue.

Ur right ghoolie but the feeling in the nfl usually is that everything stsrts with the qb. Sonu can have calvin johnson on the team and it doesnt mean Sheet if the qb is on his butt 2 sec after the snap. 

Joe didnt have much of  an impact because the rest of the line was habitual garbage. Teams just moved their primary edge rushers to the right side. 

7 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Thats so wrong ghoolie. I understand to an extent ur gripe about not having playmakers but JT was one of the greatest browns in history and he never left. Telling him to run along? Cmon dude

It’s really sad being subject to the cycles of Ghoolie’s life. Guy’s grieving and we get nice Ghoolie. Browns fan Ghoolie. He starts to recover and the worthless poster comes out. Really weird. 

Just now, Clevfan4life said:

Thats so wrong ghoolie. I understand to an extent ur gripe about not having playmakers but JT was one of the greatest browns in history and he never left. Telling him to run along? Cmon dude

Look man, when it comes to athletics I believe the ancient Romans had it right. The empire provided a great life for the gladiator. Housing, wealth, women, and every comfort imaginable. Caesar however never consulted with the gladiator, or asked him for his "wisdom" and view on life. When the gladiator became old and could no longer fight, it was his turn in the lion pit.

Calling him the one of the greatest players in Browns history is a stretch for me. I just don't see him as having done jack schidt. Again, what analytical data can you give me to demonstrate his favorable impact? Did we improve in running? passing? 3d down conversion? QB stability? Wins? Titles? Championships? Can you demonstrate one analytical that got better with him on the team?

The only thing spectacular about Joe Thomas was his longevity. Hardly an HOF accomplishment.

Every year 16 teams get into the NFL playoffs. All of them with a serviceable LT, most of them with several holding down the position. The position, while important, is simply not difficult to fill. Now, I get it, we have not had a lot to cheer about, but I am sorry because not having much to cheer about doesn't lower the bar for me. It isn't enough for me to just buy into some BS about " we are building for the future",  "we are amassing assets" and "you just can't see it, we are finally doing it the right way"

It isn't enough for me to have a secret society worship party for JT and celebrate him in some goofy "at least we have him" campfire celebration. 

Facts are facts. There are many, many, many athletes who do a very good job at LT. Joe Thomas simply has not delivered any measurable results over his entire career. All this crap about, "if we didn't have him, or QBs would have gotten destroyed", is absolute horse manure. Nobody knows what would have happened if we never drafted JT. I could just as credibly make the argument that if we didn't waste the pick on JT but instead found a play maler, and filled the LT with a low round pick, we would have been progressing on the right track long ago.

You guys life and die by analyic BS, so you don't get to defend JT by saying "this would have happened if we didn't have him". 

His position is important, but a lot of guys can do just as well, and a lot of guys do. The team is 1 - 22 with this great future HOF'er, so forgive me if I am not defecating my pants at the thought of him being hurt. The net result of Joe Thomas playing? Losses, Lots of losses. And what of his leadership? Joking on the sidelines when his team is getting destroyed? What of his mentoring ability? For as great as he supposedly is, you would have thought he might have improved the OL play around him.

So, no, I have no regrets about stating my views. He served well, now its time to get him the hell out of here, boot him in the butt, trade him, cut him, or whatever, and get some new blood in here. Time to focus on getting a new head coach, a QB, some WRs and TEs. This Joe THomas stuff is pure mental masturbation.

27 minutes ago, wargograw said:

It’s really sad being subject to the cycles of Ghoolie’s life. Guy’s grieving and we get nice Ghoolie. Browns fan Ghoolie. He starts to recover and the worthless poster comes out. Really weird. 

Dude,

I am not spewing hate and venom.  I have a strong opinion of Joe Thomas. Just because this pizzes you off doesn't mean it is disruptive or not valid. I have asked you guys over and over, demonstrate to me in terms of numbers where JT has improved the Browns. That is football talk, dude. Joe Thomas is not sacred. That i think he was a waste of a pick and a non-issue isn't being negative, it isn't trolling, and it isn't at all unacceptable for this forum. I just don't revere this guy. I don't see im as anythign special and frankly, I am glad his career in Cleveland is over. 

Enough of this guy already. He's done. Stick a fork in him. He has absolutely no impact on the Browns future There is a football game Sunday. That's where the focus should be.

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

Ikr? These same asshats would have gad wentz's picture up next to weedons by midseason with the caption "really? did none of us see this coming?"

No way... no one gets near my Wheezy shrine! Book It!

The ginger was beyond special.

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

joes 2007 draft had peterson and lynch available, but how good would they have been on clevelands perennially bad o line? Calvin johnson was in that class but he went before our pick. Its hard to fault the browns for taking jt. If johnson were available maybe that changes. But thank god we didnt have the #1 or we would have drafted jamarcus

What screwed that draft was trading up with Dallas- and taking Brady Quinn. :lol: The second rounder ( we gave the Cowboys) that year could have been Steve Smith. And if you really want to puke, go take a look at the talent we could have had with our first round pick in 2008 that we gave the 'Pokes in the Quinn trade. 

It's not like we haven't tried drafting QBs- we've just had an incredible string of bad luck drafting the wrong ones high. Besides the (Not) Mighty Quinn, Wee-Done, Party Animal. I greatly fear Kizer Wilhelm will be joining the list on the second row of the jersey. . Instead of Ben Rothlisberger and Aaron Rodgers. Before Ghoolie opens his yap- I was all about the Ben and Wentz trains. 

Archived