THE BROWNS BOARD

Calfox's dismal midseason mock draft special

calfoxwc

Apparently, first overall pick - Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming.  Kizer couldn't play like him in college, and seems

he may never play like Allen... in the Pro's, either.

16 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Just as long as we don't take some liberal elite Cali QB... 

Sounds like that Michigan beat down yesterday must have stung 

second pick, second round:

Brian O'Neil, Pitt

if he doesn't go before this....he could very well come to the draft as a junior.

He's excellent.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2017/07/31/brian-o-neill-pitt-nfl-draft-stock-piesman-trophy-acc-football/stories/201707310062

14 hours ago, D Bone said:

Sounds like that Michigan beat down yesterday must have stung 

Not nearly as much as the squeaker last November...

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Who would we have to coach any of these QBs.   Hue Jackson has proven to be a monumental failure at the job.

Possibly. Could be he had three substandard quarterbacks forced on him. I almost never trust what coaching or Executives have to say about it that stuff. 

If this is not a fail for draft picks scheme beyond which has never been seen in the NFL somebody doesn't know what he's doing.

WSS

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

hmm. thought for sure I'd catch hell for my draft picks. reckon I'll give it time....:rolleyes:

Too early... you might actually be right... for once...

Seriously... Allen, meh, I need more time, more looks... and dunno Marshall or O'Neil... but Ridley? Looks beast-ish to me.

Ridley might be my favorite WR in the draft in terms of "safe talent".  He's one of those WR's whose game translates very well to the NFL.   Not all much different from Amari Cooper (minus drop rate)

He won't be Megatron, AB or Julio... but he's that quality 1/2 receiver you trust taking. 

Seems stronger than Cooper as well in addition to better hands...

That said I do not remember Copper's hands being a real issue at BAMA. Were they?

I've seen the Wyoming guy play twice this year and he certainly didn't play like anything CLOSE to a #1 pick.  That's obviously a tiny sample size, but you'd think the #1 pick in the draft would be able to show SOMETHING in a couple games, right?  Like I've said several times, I do NOT LIKE any of these QB's as of right now.  I'm not sure Lamar Jackson can be drafted that high because he has a certain "project aspect" to his game, but he's certainly a guy that can score a bunch of points, and he also doesn't turn it over very often.  It's probably too early to make any real kind of assessment, but color me not impressed at this point.  Just our luck.  Our front office and our coaching staff will forever be linked to not drafting Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson.  From what it SOUNDS like, Hue wanted Watson, but there's no real way to know.  Jason Whitlock said on NFL network that Hue wanted Watson, but he could've been talking out of his butt (he usually does).  Anybody watch Wentz last night?  I did.  Sure looked like a top 20 QB to me, SASHI.  

Rosen can be an accurate passer who is willing to make tough throws into tight windows. He is able to throw receivers open with well-placed passes and shows the ability to be a rhythm passer. Rosen flashes good timing and anticipation, especially when he has I don't see perfection in Allen, btw, but I see a whole LOT of future star NFL qb that I saw in Wentz. I'm just contrary - I don't go bythe ratings - I like to think I know my own criteria for who I'd draft....for the fun of it. Rosen can look like a star in highlights, sure.

I don't care how his highlights are great, how he does at the combine: he is off my list.

I've already said plenty of times, I would NOT draft Rosen at any pick....or Darnold with that high first round pick.

however, it isn't just me:

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018jrosen.php

a clean pocket. In terms of field vision, Rosen will work off his primary read, but he definitely needs to improve his vision for the NFL. UCLA has called a lot of primary-option quick-pass plays, so Rosen could use more reps taking deep drops and working through reads.

Like all college players, there are things that Rosen can improve on. For one, he could stand to get better with the consistency of his accuracy. There are times when Rosen gets into stretches where his accuracy is off and he can miss some throws he should complete. Rosen needs to get faster and speed up the process to scan through his progressions, too. In the pros, he is going to need to move his eyes more and not lock onto his primary read or one of the side of the field so much. The junior also needs to stay healthy in 2017 to avoid having serious durability concerns about him for the NFL.

One of the big problems for Rosen entering his junior year is that he has developed a reputation for having poor intangibles as a bad teammate and leader. Football is an emotional game, and NFL teams want their quarterbacks to be positive team leaders. Whether it is a vocal leader or a quiet lead-by-example type, NFL evaluators and coaches want the quarterback to be a player who teammates gravitate toward with the ability to lead his team in crunch time. Rosen is said to be disliked in the Bruins' locker room, and it sounds like he needs a personality make-over. A scout who has done advance work on the 2018 NFL Draft had this to say about Rosen:

1. "Right now I have them rated [Sam] Darnold, [Josh] Allen, [Lamar] Jackson, and then Rosen....Rosen has huge talent and lacks intangibles. He is a prototypical pocket guy. I love his talent, but his own teammates don't like him. Being a prick is one thing, but there aren't many quarterbacks who stick around long-term and are successful that couldn't get along well with their teammates."

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018jrosen.php#kRthxthp1F6ZxfdQ.99

Darnold, btw, is said to probably staying at USC one more year, anyways. It's true Allen has had a few tough outings...

but Darnold and Rosen have quality cast of players around them. and USC just got hammered by Notre Dame...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/usc-qb-sam-darnold-enter-nfl-draft-year-report-article-1.3583139

OTH, he is leaning towards coming out into the NFL draft, too. LOL

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/usc-qb-sam-darnold-enter-nfl-draft-year-report-article-1.3583139

I don't dislike Darnold, though. I dislike Rosen. Darnold is okay - not my first choice though. gotta go do a little work

at the flip house. "sigh"

I think now, with all I have heard here....that I may want Rosen.     I think I might like a guy that get prickly with his teammates.....especially if that means he is getting into their shite about their performances.

Maybe his teammates complained about him because he bitched that he didn't think that he would have to score 45-50 points every game just to win by 3 points.   Or maybe he didn't like the fact that his OL is blocking like Matadors ...playing "Ole".  

Or maybe he is just an arrogant butt.   He may be...and maybe the Browns could use a guy like that...honestly. 

I would want to focus, however, on what he CAN do....not on whether or not his teammates like him.    I mean, yes, I don't really want a Jeff George, Jay Cutler like guy; but, we don't really know if he is that sort...now do we.   

Is he the best QB that may be available to the Browns?  And does he have the physical and mental skills to potentially be a franchise QB.  That is all we (meaning the Browns FO) has to decide.  I don't know that answer yet.    But I don't see where any other QB in this class has any better potential.

Besides....the last time a Cleveland team had a Rosen....it turned out pretty good:  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Rosen

Archived