THE BROWNS BOARD

Hue Jackson: 'I totally have the support' of the Haslams despite 0-8

Canton Dawg

TWICKENHAM, England -- Browns coach Hue Jackson said he isn't worried about London Bridge falling down on the way home from Sunday's 33-16 loss to the Vikings.

Granted, the London games haven't always been kind to struggling NFL head coaches. Several have been fired over the years just after their chartered planes touched down in the States. 

But Jackson isn't concerned about the long ride home even though he dropped to 0-8 and is now just 1-23 in his second season.

Even the upcoming bye week, which gives teams a lot of time to tweak and regroup, doesn't have him concerned about his job. Jackson said after a 1-15 season in 2016 that he would jump in Lake Erie if the Browns had the same mark this year.

Jackson believes that owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam, who made the trip to London and served beer to fans at a Browns Backers event Saturday night, understand what he's faced with. The Browns played their first game since 2006 without 10-time Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas; they were without star pass rusher Myles Garrett and three other defensive starters; they have a rookie quarterback feeling his way in DeShone Kizer; and the youngest team in the league.

At some spots, including receiver, they're bereft of talent. The guy who's supposed to be their No. 1 wideout right now, Kenny Britt, was benched and standing on the sidelines in uniform Sunday.

Jackson has tried to do the best he can with what he has to work with, and thinks the Haslams get it. 

"I don't think it was articulated here (in London), but I still feel that (support),'' Jackson said. "I don't sense -- you guys would have to ask Jimmy that, but I totally have the support of Mr. and Mrs. Haslam. I don't feel any change in that. I know everybody is concerned about the losing, my job, this -- I mean, there's all kinds of questions out there. I get all that.

"That's never been what my thought process is (his job),'' he said. "Mine is trying to get this team to be the best it can be, keep this coaching staff working hard, keep these players working hard, and that's my charge. It can't be anything else. But no, I totally feel like I still have their support.'' 

The fact the Browns are still playing hard for him is a testament to how the players feel about him. They had their first lead after a full quarter this season when it was 6-3 at the end of one, and led 13-12 at the half -- their first halftime lead of the season. 

"I still run through a wall for Hue,'' said linebacker Chris Kirksey. "Hue is a great coach. Our record doesn't show it but he's a great coach. He has our back, so at the end of the day, we're playing. We're the ones that have to run out there and execute the plays that they call. 

"We're going to continue to fight for him. Hue's been fighting for us since Day One, so I'm not going to pin anything on him. It's a collective group that goes out there and tries to win ballgames. I'm still going to try to fight for him and I know my teammates will.''

Jackson acknowledged that the Browns have no margin for error with the talent deficit on the team. So when running back Isaiah Crowell gets stripped of the ball on the first play of the second half, and when Bryce Treggs -- subbing for Jabrill Peppers on returns -- muffs a first-quarter punt to set up a field goal, and when rookie kicker Zane Gonzalez misses an extra point and a 35-yard field goal, it's just not going to happen for this team. 

"Everything has got to be perfect,' said Jackson. "That's where we are. Everything has got to be perfect for us to have a chance to win a football game. We get it, and our coaching staff gets it and our players get it, and we work that way. We try to do the best we can to get everything right, but we all know that's not how football is played.

"You can't be perfect, it's still a game. You're going to make mistakes and things are going to come up. Today we didn't make as many, so we were in the game for quite a while. Then all of a sudden we don't make some other plays I think we can make, and then the game flipped. That's kind of been the story of where we are.'' 

Still he has some good things to feel good about on the eight-hour flight home.

"Yeah, I do,'' he said. "This is the best thing I do know about this football team: They play hard. They don't give up. They don't quit. I think you guys all see this. This is not a group that turns its back, lays down, says, 'OK, we're done.' That's not what we're going to do. I've never coached a team that has ever done that, and this team will never do that. There's too much pride in the locker room. So that's what I'm most proud of.'' 

Still, he acknowledged, "we've got to find a way to win.'' 

There's a still a lake that's beckoning that he has no plans of jumping in.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/10/hue_jackson_i_totally_have_the.html

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

TWICKENHAM, England -- Browns coach Hue Jackson said he isn't worried about London Bridge falling down on the way home from Sunday's 33-16 loss to the Vikings.

Granted, the London games haven't always been kind to struggling NFL head coaches. Several have been fired over the years just after their chartered planes touched down in the States. 

But Jackson isn't concerned about the long ride home even though he dropped to 0-8 and is now just 1-23 in his second season.

Even the upcoming bye week, which gives teams a lot of time to tweak and regroup, doesn't have him concerned about his job. Jackson said after a 1-15 season in 2016 that he would jump in Lake Erie if the Browns had the same mark this year.

Jackson believes that owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam, who made the trip to London and served beer to fans at a Browns Backers event Saturday night, understand what he's faced with. The Browns played their first game since 2006 without 10-time Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas; they were without star pass rusher Myles Garrett and three other defensive starters; they have a rookie quarterback feeling his way in DeShone Kizer; and the youngest team in the league.

At some spots, including receiver, they're bereft of talent. The guy who's supposed to be their No. 1 wideout right now, Kenny Britt, was benched and standing on the sidelines in uniform Sunday.

Jackson has tried to do the best he can with what he has to work with, and thinks the Haslams get it. 

"I don't think it was articulated here (in London), but I still feel that (support),'' Jackson said. "I don't sense -- you guys would have to ask Jimmy that, but I totally have the support of Mr. and Mrs. Haslam. I don't feel any change in that. I know everybody is concerned about the losing, my job, this -- I mean, there's all kinds of questions out there. I get all that.

"That's never been what my thought process is (his job),'' he said. "Mine is trying to get this team to be the best it can be, keep this coaching staff working hard, keep these players working hard, and that's my charge. It can't be anything else. But no, I totally feel like I still have their support.'' 

The fact the Browns are still playing hard for him is a testament to how the players feel about him. They had their first lead after a full quarter this season when it was 6-3 at the end of one, and led 13-12 at the half -- their first halftime lead of the season. 

"I still run through a wall for Hue,'' said linebacker Chris Kirksey. "Hue is a great coach. Our record doesn't show it but he's a great coach. He has our back, so at the end of the day, we're playing. We're the ones that have to run out there and execute the plays that they call. 

"We're going to continue to fight for him. Hue's been fighting for us since Day One, so I'm not going to pin anything on him. It's a collective group that goes out there and tries to win ballgames. I'm still going to try to fight for him and I know my teammates will.''

Jackson acknowledged that the Browns have no margin for error with the talent deficit on the team. So when running back Isaiah Crowell gets stripped of the ball on the first play of the second half, and when Bryce Treggs -- subbing for Jabrill Peppers on returns -- muffs a first-quarter punt to set up a field goal, and when rookie kicker Zane Gonzalez misses an extra point and a 35-yard field goal, it's just not going to happen for this team. 

"Everything has got to be perfect,' said Jackson. "That's where we are. Everything has got to be perfect for us to have a chance to win a football game. We get it, and our coaching staff gets it and our players get it, and we work that way. We try to do the best we can to get everything right, but we all know that's not how football is played.

"You can't be perfect, it's still a game. You're going to make mistakes and things are going to come up. Today we didn't make as many, so we were in the game for quite a while. Then all of a sudden we don't make some other plays I think we can make, and then the game flipped. That's kind of been the story of where we are.'' 

Still he has some good things to feel good about on the eight-hour flight home.

"Yeah, I do,'' he said. "This is the best thing I do know about this football team: They play hard. They don't give up. They don't quit. I think you guys all see this. This is not a group that turns its back, lays down, says, 'OK, we're done.' That's not what we're going to do. I've never coached a team that has ever done that, and this team will never do that. There's too much pride in the locker room. So that's what I'm most proud of.'' 

Still, he acknowledged, "we've got to find a way to win.'' 

There's a still a lake that's beckoning that he has no plans of jumping in.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/10/hue_jackson_i_totally_have_the.html

Or when an idiot calls an unneeded TO to afford the other team the opportunity to score again before halftime,  there is no margin for error with the lack of talent level "running" this team.

Of course he has the support of the owner and why wouldn't he, after all everyone knows that you have to lose 35 of your first 36 games during a reboot (careful not to use "rebuild' as I don't want to confuse the two) and from game 37 on, boy all the hard work and tears will start to pay off.........

It's called The Process

FYI, the lake reference in that last sentence, is Hue said that if we go 0-16 he would jump in Lake Erie.

If he does go 0-16, and decides to jump in the lake...I would suggest that he should keep on swimming.

24 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

FYI, the lake reference in that last sentence, is Hue said that if we go 0-16 he would jump in Lake Erie.

If he does go 0-16, and decides to jump in the lake...I would suggest that he should keep on swimming.

jesus, what a horrible statement. he actually said he'd jump in the lake?

as if 0-16 would be embarassing enough

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Or when an idiot calls an unneeded TO to afford the other team the opportunity to score again before halftime,  there is no margin for error with the lack of talent level "running" this team.

I get it but maybe I don't AG?.Think we can agree Hue has no O weapons? FO passes on 2 QB's to reload roster<<not on Hue imo..Many post about Hue's 4th down call on THE 1ST DRIVE of titans game ..Again today we jump on Hue about something before Halftime..It's a 4 Quarter game.make some damn plays INSTEAD...Minn. was down 13-12 with that FG after Hues timeout.. but Today's lost was about game momentum WE LOST imo.. Crow fumbles coming out starting 3rd..Minn FG after goes up 15-13. as-suing KO  Dayes kick return 71 yards. Zane misses..Flag fest of PI's to finish it..I just can't keep pushing all this back to Hue i guess would be my point..Players gotta make plays..Possessions were there to win both games. Execute the plays,but with what?  

I've never seen the value of firing someone middle of the season unless they truly believe a HC could be on the roster. 

25 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Browns are 1-23 under Hue.

I'm curious what everyone thinks that record would be if Belichick was the head coach, with everything the same.

Hard to say, but Hue makes a lot of bone headed calls that have nothing to do with players. Calling a time out with 42 seconds left is a textbook example of that today. That simple mistake cost the Browns 3 points and half time momentum.

22 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm curious what everyone thinks that record would be if Belichick was the head coach, with everything the same.

As many 1 score losses as the Browns have had under Hue (8), I have to believe that Bill would've found a way to win at least 1/2 of those (4) plus he would've found a way to win at least a few others that we were blown out in. 

So if everything was equal - same players handed to him by the FO, I would say we would be 9-15ish......... 

5 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

That simple mistake cost the Browns 3 points and half time momentum.

Disagree..were still up 13-12 at half blame Crow laying ball down 1st play 3rd led to FG that put sota up then 15-13 

Crow fumbled, but we'll still probably give him a huge contract extension at the end of the year.

also, Hue's job is safe, probably through next year but definitely through the season.

even if he jumps in the lake.

via rotoworld

According to. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Browns coach Hue Jackson's job is safe "for now."

Per Rapsheet, Jackson will maintain his job even if the Browns suffer another "ugly" loss Sunday against Minnesota. "Changes are expected to come at the end of the season in some form or fashion," he said. "But at this point, they are not expected to involve Hue Jackson." The Browns are trying to establish some continuity after years of endlessly cycling through coaches and players, but with just one win in 23 games as head coach, Jackson's leash is getting shorter by the minute.

1 minute ago, stillmotion said:

Crow fumbled, but we'll still probably give him a huge contract extension at the end of the year.

also, Hue's job is safe, probably through next year but definitely through the season.

even if he jumps in the lake.

via rotoworld

According to. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Browns coach Hue Jackson's job is safe "for now."

Per Rapsheet, Jackson will maintain his job even if the Browns suffer another "ugly" loss Sunday against Minnesota. "Changes are expected to come at the end of the season in some form or fashion," he said. "But at this point, they are not expected to involve Hue Jackson." The Browns are trying to establish some continuity after years of endlessly cycling through coaches and players, but with just one win in 23 games as head coach, Jackson's leash is getting shorter by the minute.

Good.

9 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

People who constantly belittle this front office as a group of bean-eating analytic dorks but say things like this and think the Browns will draft Barkley #1 or 2 overall really make my day.

If this front office is made up of bean-eating dorks who pray to the alter of analytics, why would anyone then think either thing would ever happen?

Look if things keep going the way they are going this year and we win 0, 1 or 2 games hue is going to be fired.  Thats not in dispute.  You cant go 2-30 or whatever and keep your job regardless of your talent level.  The vibe going into next season if we didnt make a change at head coach after another 0, 1 or 2 loss year would be crazy.....

2 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

Look if things keep going the way they are going this year and we win 0, 1 or 2 games hue is going to be fired.  Thats not in dispute.  You cant go 2-30 or whatever and keep your job regardless of your talent level.  .

This roster is all on the coaching..got ya,thanks..good to cut a 5 year plan into 2 years..

Just now, gumby73 said:

This roster is all on the coaching..got ya,thanks..good to cut a 5 year plan into 2 years..

you are talking to yourself again and making up your own arguments.

there is no excuse to go 1-24(is that it? Ive lost count at this point?) with ANY ROSTER in today's nfl.  Thats not acceptable.  If Hue's record were 8-17 or some similar crappy record it would be different...then you could say well the roster sucks so of course we cant be good.  but 1-24 is so historically bad that you cant bring that shite back.

and what '5 year plan' are you talking about?  there is no 5 year plan....you dont get 5 freaking years to show something...even front offices dont get five whole years to show something...jesus.

27 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

and what '5 year plan' are you talking about?  there is no 5 year plan....you dont get 5 freaking years to show something...even front offices dont get five whole years to show something...

the reboot that Hue saw coming in here was 3 years with drafting a QB even after SB depleted the roster.. SB blew that, not signing roster'd key FA's(+2 more,reboot went full blown rebuild)..Why do you think 9'ers were giving Shanny & Lynch 6 years? Haslem & all got Sashi Brown'd & Tomlin could not cheer-lead this roster to 3 wins either..we shall see if jimma really knew what he was getting into?

Just now, gumby73 said:

the reboot that Hue saw coming in here was 3 years with drafting a QB even after SB depleted the roster.. SB blew that, not signing roster'd key FA's(+2 more)..Why do you think 9'ers were giving Shanny & Lynch 6 years?

lmao....shannahan is in year 1.  We'll know that they 'gave' him 6 years in year 6.  People sign contracts all the time for time periods that arent realized and there is buyout language and such.  I guarantee you that if Shanny is sucking bigtime in san fran he will not get anything close to 6 years and they will fire him after a few.  Thats the way it works in the nfl.

I dont know that there is any precedent for bringing an nfl coach back after losing 28+ games in 2 consecutive years?  I seriously doubt it.  

4 minutes ago, Dawgs89 said:

Possible head coaches for 2018: McDaniels, Belichick, Jeff Fisher, 

I can understand listing McDaniels.

Does Bill have a coaching relative I'm unaware of?

Jeff Fisher might be one of the most overrated head coaches in NFL history.

5 hours ago, stillmotion said:

jesus, what a horrible statement. he actually said he'd jump in the lake?

as if 0-16 would be embarassing enough

Live on WEWS... Hue jumps in Lake Erie, doesn't resurface....   

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Better than 1-23 fer sure....  

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

the reboot that Hue saw coming in here was 3 years with drafting a QB even after SB depleted the roster.. SB blew that, not signing roster'd key FA's(+2 more,reboot went full blown rebuild)..Why do you think 9'ers were giving Shanny & Lynch 6 years? Haslem & all got Sashi Brown'd & Tomlin could not cheer-lead this roster to 3 wins either..we shall see if jimma really knew what he was getting into?

Fer sure, I'll bet the ranch Jimmuh doesn't like future draft picks over Carson Wentz....  We 100% can't miss on the next QB we pick. IMHO Kizer isn't the answer. 

2 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Because the early bird gets the worm.

Youre the first team with a HC vacancy and can speak to every HC between jobs. To do that with Huey still on the payroll is unprofessional and messy if HJack catches wind on his possible replacement on town. The next HC might think that the Browns will tray me the same way.

Fire his a$$  tomorrow morning and start 2018 right now. Promote Williams as temp HC.

I can see that... Hue is more a cheerleader than a coach. Hell, I'm all for letting a cheerleader call the plays.... 

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Belichik is a different man than Hue is. Sashit and DePudDuster would be fetching his coffee. They would be drafting who he told them to draft. Just as it is in NE, the FO does their research but they don't feed him who they want. He calls those shots. Hue does not have that kind of chutzpah. Not a valid comparison. If Bill B was hired instead of Black Uncle Fester, we owuld have a lot of different players on this team, and of course we wouldn't be so lousy.

Archived