Canton Dawg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

"The sea was angry that day my friends!"

"Lake"

"Whatever!"

Lol pretty sure the "whatever" line is when he calls it a fish and Jerry says "mammal."

13 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

What shots, exactly?

Not re-signing Pryor was GOOD.  Britt was viewed as a solid but unspectacular signing this past season.

Not re-signing Mitch was GOOD.  [Shon Jackson > schwartz in the total of run+pass]

Signing OL's this offseason that don't get our QB Luck'd was GOOD.

Getting the extra second while kicking the tires of Ostrich was GOOD -- in fact, it was so good it was[is still] viewed as a revolutionary outside-the-box "first".

There is no silver bullet to fixing the problems on the Browns team.. and not even one or two players from the OSU defense will "fix" it.

[For our out-of-state board members, the OSU defense is nicknamed "the silver bullets"]

First question: What, precisely, is your desired goal?  If your actual objective is on-field success then you need to look at a much more granular level to define that "success."

Is it "stopping the run?" If so then Cleveland is leading the league at 2.9 YPA. Couldn't say that last year - or any year of any previous organization.

Is it "stopping the pass"? Here we're 24th in YPA.. To nobody's surprise, this could be improved

Is it "yards per rush attempted?" If so then Cleveland defines the league average at 4.1 -- this may not be success but it's not failure.

Is it "total yards passing" ? Cleveland is 19th  -- sure, improve this, and it shocks nobody that NE is #1 in only this team stat.

Is it "Yards per passing attempt" ? Here we're in the bottom quartile at 30th.

So, it seems the areas we need to work on are pass D and pass O.  That's much more precise than "EVERYONE GO DIE IN A FIRE NOW KTHXBAI"

Great post.

12 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Here's the only stat that matters. . .1-23.

No, your ideas for fixing it matter too. I'm guessing you have none.

8 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Here you sensitive fat butt Gipper:

Not bad. I like the efficiency. They forgot conditioner though and didn't use any water in the shine.

6 hours ago, wargograw said:

Lol pretty sure the "whatever" line is when he calls it a fish and Jerry says "mammal."

I know but it fit Hue's jumping into the lake comment just too well to pass up. Some of us adapt to our players better than others.:D

I don't think we should fire Hue Jackson, and I don't think we should even entertain it.  First and foremost, we've DONE the firing thing over and over, and we know that doesn't work.  Also, it's not like the guy has some super talented team that he's mismanaging.  The Kizer experiment is failing, but again, even Kizer doesn't have supreme talent all around him that can help win a game.  We have no "game-breakers", no players that can "take over", or even any guys that can take the ordinary play and make it extraordinary.  We just don't have much on offense  

Now, what I WOULD be in favor of is an Offensive Coordinator.  Now who, I have no idea, but I'd be cool with a new offensive coordinator that could perhaps breathe a little life into our stagnant attack.  Again, we'd need to add actual TALENT, either via free agency, draft, or both, but I don't want to send Hue packing without trying everything first.  And that includes finding a talented offensive mind and pairing him with Hue.  

Our front office...well...that might be a different story.  I'm not in love with those guys, and they've whiffed on two potential QB's that could've saved our butts.  I think most of us realize Wentz and Watson wouldn't quite be having the same type of seasons with our abysmal talent, but I also think it's safe to say they'd be doing much better than Kizer.  

11 hours ago, wargograw said:

No, your ideas for fixing it matter too. I'm guessing you have none.

It starts with drafting or bringing in FA QB's and WR's.

You know, those skill positions that this FO absolutely suck at doing?

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Now, what I WOULD be in favor of is an Offensive Coordinator.  Now who, I have no idea, but I'd be cool with a new offensive coordinator that could perhaps breathe a little life into our stagnant attack.  Again, we'd need to add actual TALENT, either via free agency, draft, or both, but I don't want to send Hue packing without trying everything first.  And that includes finding a talented offensive mind and pairing him with Hue.  

bernie_kosar_1991_09_08[1].jpg

I'm firmly opposed to firing the coaching staff now, bring in an OC if anything. Sashi Brown can f*ck right off though, we need FO competence.

Sounds like Hue butted heads with them over cutting osweiller, haden, not attempting to get Jimmy G. Feel like based on rumors and results that the FO has no clue what they're doing.

Defense has made a lot of progress, looks better every week despite still being rather thin on talent especially in the secondary - would be a shame to blow all of that up.

Offense sucks a fat one, but it's hard to be successful with what looks to be the worst QB+WR play in the NFL.

2 hours ago, bbedward said:

Feel like based on rumors and results that the FO has no clue what they're doing.

This has been my gut feeling all along.

Hue isn’t blameless, but when the FO hands you a loaf of bread and a pile of steaming sh!t...all you can make is sh!t sandwiches.

19 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Hue isn’t blameless, but when the FO hands you a loaf of bread and a pile of steaming sh!t...all you can make is sh!t sandwiches.

....... all served on a Kizer roll. 

12 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

It starts with drafting or bringing in FA QB's and WR's.

You know, those skill positions that this FO absolutely suck at doing?

We brought in a QB and FA WR. They both sucked. What's your next bright idea? 

Are you aware of how little free agents want to play here?

On 10/30/2017 at 2:00 PM, The Gipper said:
FOOTBALL OPERATIONS
Phil  Rodney Dangerfield  Vice President, Football Operations 
Simon Gelan Cowell Director, Football Operations
Bryant  Swindle Gumbel

Coordinator, Football Operations

I noted the existence of these guys....yet they did not seem to be under Sachi's  Football Department.

Who ARE these guys...and what do they do?

FIFY Gip.  :)  

30 minutes ago, wargograw said:

If at first, or second, or third, try, try again? Kizer sucks, as does Kenny POS Britt. If Williams didn't want him just more damning evidence that the FO doesn't know what the hell they're doing.... 

4 hours ago, wargograw said:

They brought in 5 QB's and a truckload of WR's and guess what...they all suck. That should be telling you something about their evaluation skills. Oh...and Wentz isn't a top 20 QB according to them.

15 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

They brought in 5 QB's and a truckload of WR's and guess what...they all suck. That should be telling you something about their evaluation skills. Oh...and Wentz isn't a top 20 QB according to them.

Isn't that amazing? I mean really. What other team has ever had so much to choose from with so many choices to use...and still come up snake eyes. Doing the opposite would have ended up better with this bunch of hockey talent

1 hour ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Isn't that amazing? I mean really. What other team has ever had so much to choose from with so many choices to use...and still come up snake eyes. Doing the opposite would have ended up better with this bunch of hockey talent

One would think that somewhere along the the way, the law of averages would kick in and the Browns would hit on a couple of playmakers. Hasn't happened yet.

Wonder how other teams compare in regards to havin draft picks not pan out compared to the browns.  Can't be that much of a deficit.  Talking about 3rd round and beyond.   Who is still in the league and who is not 

19 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

They've shown those skills in other things.

Archived