THE BROWNS BOARD

"With the First Pick of the 2018 Draft, the Browns Select..."

Brownsdon'tknowwhy

Worst possible Scenario - Sashi Trades the #1 pick to the Jags, or Steelers for their pick and another first the next year

Also, Sashi trades the #1 pick to the Redskins for Cousins and a pick (unlikely)

But, I know he'll be thinking about it. BUT, if we trade down, there will be riots in cleveland next year. lol i'm not even kidding

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

nope. the new qb for the Browns will be Josh Allen. Hogan and Kizer can back him up.

We passed on Wentz, big colossal mistake - Allen is the Wentz type - just draft him - he's the

real deal.

I see nothing to show that he is any more the real deal than Rudolph is.  Plays a lower level of competition.  

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I see nothing to show that he is any more the real deal than Rudolph is.  Plays a lower level of competition.  

ah, look more closely at more about him, grasshopper !

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/19/mason-rudolph-nfl-draft-2018-scouting-report

“He’s O.K.,” said one AFC scouting director. “He’s playing in a great, quarterback-friendly offense. Probably has a top 10-caliber group of receivers. Gundy is a great coach and does an outstanding job with that offense. I’m not sold on him as a top guy . . . He’s a decent athlete. He’s tough and runs that offense well. But not sure the video game numbers he’s gonna put up this year will translate to the NFL.”

“He’s got good size,” was the positive an AFC personnel exec found before echoing the sentiment, “but his arm strength is lacking and he’s inconsistent with his accuracy.”

Added an area scout: “Not as good as the media wants everyone to believe; he’s a Day 3 guy. His accuracy isn’t as good as the numbers show—his receivers make a lot of tough catches for him. Arm strength is adequate, not tops. What’s the difference between him and Bryce Petty?”

But, in regards to the NFL draft, you should know what you’re watching. There have been 12 quarterbacks in major college football history to throw for 5,000 yards in a season, and just three of them—Derek Carr, Patrick Mahomes and David Klingler—went in the first five rounds out of the draft. The other nine? Two sixth-rounders, two seventh-rounders, a ninth-rounder (when that round still existed) and four undrafted free agents.

“At at a minimum, [Rudolph] has to have the arm talent,” the AFC scouting director said. “He might have the mental ability, but we don’t learn that until we get our hands on them after the season.”

It isn't just me... in the same article, he lists the top ten in the draft:

1. Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
2. Sam Darnold, QB, USC
3. Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
4. Arden Key, EDGE, LSU
5. Derwin James, S, Florida State
6. Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
7. Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
8. Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson
9. Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College
10. Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

Darnold should probably stay in school, and I wouldn't draft Rosen - personality/character flaws.

I don't see in Rudolph's career where he has faced adversity. gawdy numbers, sure. See that #10 there?

and, OMG, you let Minkah Fitzpatrick fall down to the Browns' second pick,

and I would have a seriously tough time between him and Ridley. Seriously.

invalid conclusion - no evidence that backs up your claims. I think half of this board could do a better job of picking

a qb and wr for the Browns. you disagree?^_^

yes, he did striggle a few games. But he doesn't have a solid class of players around him. He raises the level of play up

hugely. Same thing for Carson Wentz - in 2016, the only N.Dakota players drafted were Wentz...and his OT who went in

the fifth round.

On 10/31/2017 at 12:11 AM, hoorta said:

Nope. Browns HAVE to take best QB available. Now if they somehow land Cousins, Barkley is in play. 

You can’t just keep drafting and ruining qb’s, a qb needs a supporting cast and frankly drafting another one so high will in my opiniOn only set the team back. You draft Barkley and take pressure off whatever quarterback is under center and if that doesn’t work out then you draft a quarterback. I personally like kizer but he was put in with an uphill battle. I don’t think Crowell is bad but he’s not scaring anyone. Barkely is a multifaceted threat with good blitz pick up. You draft Barkley and don’t look back and watch kizer improve.

28 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

You can’t just keep drafting and ruining qb’s, a qb needs a supporting cast and frankly drafting another one so high will in my opiniOn only set the team back. You draft Barkley and take pressure off whatever quarterback is under center and if that doesn’t work out then you draft a quarterback. I personally like kizer but he was put in with an uphill battle. I don’t think Crowell is bad but he’s not scaring anyone. Barkely is a multifaceted threat with good blitz pick up. You draft Barkley and don’t look back and watch kizer improve.

I don't think you have a clue.  The Browns keep drafting bad QBs.   They do nothing to "ruin" them.....they ruin themselves.  It is the bad QBs that ruin the Browns, not the other way around.

That would be like saying that BR really has no effect on the Steelers winning or losing.

Quarterbacks matter.  None of these QBs that you claim the Browns ruined went on to any other situation and did one bit better.  They simply proved that they were as mediocre or as bad as they were here.

Now, I am not saying that some of these QBs were not put into bad situations....they were.  But they weren't ruined by those.  They just proved that they were not good enough to handle them.

Wyoming vs 6-2 Colorado State @ Laramie on CBSSN (221 Direct TV) @7pm eastern today.................about 45 min. from now if you want to see Josh Allen.

Naturally my wife has us playing bridge so I'm recording for tomorrow since there is no Browns game.

5 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Draft Barkley? right- how many Super Bowls has Adrian Peterson been to? Landainan Tomlinson? 

Get real. We passed on Wentz, took a bum in Kizer. He's a slightly better version of Akilli Smith. Reminds me a lot of the bad RG III also. Watch much of Deshone? His accuracy is terrible,  something I duly noted before the draft. Yup, we get Gordon back in December, and Kizer will be throwing the ball 7 feet over his head too. It's not like we haven't tried drafting QBs- we've just drafted the wrong ones. 

The more tape I review of Baker Mayfield the more I like his game. This class as a whole is night and day vs 2016. Kiser would have been a day 3 prospect this year. Which is probably why he came out last year tbh.

If I had a gun on me I would go Mayfield at 1 and then best FS for the 1st round.

I'm cooling on Rosen at this point because of injurys and concussions. Jackson is bad passer and should not be considered in the first round. May be an excellent WR someday though

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I don't think you have a clue.  The Browns keep drafting bad QBs.   They do nothing to "ruin" them.....they ruin themselves.  It is the bad QBs that ruin the Browns, not the other way around.

That would be like saying that BR really has no effect on the Steelers winning or losing.

Quarterbacks matter.  None of these QBs that you claim the Browns ruined went on to any other situation and did one bit better.  They simply proved that they were as mediocre or as bad as they were here.

Now, I am not saying that some of these QBs were not put into bad situations....they were.  But they weren't ruined by those.  They just proved that they were not good enough to handle them.

Ben had a great defense, solid offensive line, offensive weapons. You don’t just plunk down a rookie qb and expect fireworks and wins. Yes the browns have ruined quarterbacks, namely Tim couch. Kizer isn’t a bad qb either, he’s a rookie with nothing around him.

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Draft Barkley? right- how many Super Bowls has Adrian Peterson been to? Landainan Tomlinson? 

Get real. We passed on Wentz, took a bum in Kizer. He's a slightly better version of Akilli Smith. Reminds me a lot of the bad RG III also. Watch much of Deshone? His accuracy is terrible,  something I duly noted before the draft. Yup, we get Gordon back in December, and Kizer will be throwing the ball 7 feet over his head too. It's not like we haven't tried drafting QBs- we've just drafted the wrong ones. 

Rivers is a playoff choke artist otherwise the chargers had a great roster for a while. Peterson never had a qb because they never drafted a good one. They reached on ponder and Peterson tainted his career in the midst of bridgewater who also caught the injury bug.

18 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

His offensive line is a sieve, but make no mistake, Allen can make all the throws look easy. What an arm.

Hes going to be special. The Browns must take him. This is it and taking Allen will change the Browns franchise forever for the good. Fvck Darnold.

Allen looked like crap. This is the 3rd game i have watched this year with him and he is totally unimpressive. If the Browns pick him he will be another for the t-shirt of shame.

Just now, LogicIsForSquares said:

Yeah I see a big arm and that is it.

He has not even completed 60% of his college passes against mediocre teams, even last year with better players. Ridiculous pick for a pro team.

jm looked great in games. I'm sure ryan leaf looked great in games. I don't know how you can only see a great arm.

He looks off safeties, he scans the field quickly, gets rid of the ball quickly if he has a chance at all, and he can

run, can easily make all the throws, is a multi-sport athlete, and he is very, very accurate.

and very, very smart. excellent character, loves the game....oh, he is the top qb in this draft in my book of Wentz was the

perfect qb.

4 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Yeah I see a big arm and that is it.

I see Deshone Kizer, V2. Minus the big mistakes. 

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

jm looked great in games. I'm sure ryan leaf looked great in games. I don't know how you can only see a great arm.He looks off safeties, he scans the field quickly, gets rid of the ball quickly if he has a chance at all, and he can

run, can easily make all the throws, is a multi-sport athlete, and he is very, very accurate.

and very, very smart. excellent character, loves the game....oh, he is the top qb in this draft in my book of Wentz was the perfect qb.

Cal, he's accurate 1\2 the time, just like Kizer. Some of the throws Allen makes are not anywhere near the receiver. Second round prospect- we already have one on our roster...  

6 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Ben had a great defense, solid offensive line, offensive weapons. You don’t just plunk down a rookie qb and expect fireworks and wins. Yes the browns have ruined quarterbacks, namely Tim couch. Kizer isn’t a bad qb either, he’s a rookie with nothing around him.

When Ben is not in the game the Steeler offense is worse than terrible......... even WITH that line and weapons.  Bens presence makes a HUGE difference.

Tell the truth and shame the devil.

This pick is going to change a 100 times in the next 6 months, but I'm having doubts about Saquon Barkley now. He's only rushed over 100 yards 3 times this season, and he gets bottled up too often. The backs that seem to have dominant impacts are built more like Fournette and Gurley, although Dalvin Cook was on his way to having a solid season before injury. 

At this time, there isn't a QB worthy of the #1 pick, nor is there a defensive talent like Myles Garrett. It's pretty much the absolute worst year ever to have the first pick, which is kind of funny when you think about it. It's just more crap wrong with us. No elite qb, WR, DE, or really anything you'd want to pick first. That sounds about right. 

As far as qb's, I'm close to being on the "Baker Mayfield Wagon". He's got the emotion I like, the ability to improvise, the confidence to make the throws, the ABILITY to execute, and he's someone that could breathe LIFE into our stagnant offense. 

Let me clarify, Mayfield isn't someone you take with the FIRST pick, but I'd be fine with selecting him with our second 1st rounder. I don't care where the dang experts have him going. Mayfield looks like he'd be FUN to watch. Remember fun? 

7 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

jm looked great in games. I'm sure ryan leaf looked great in games. I don't know how you can only see a great arm.

He looks off safeties, he scans the field quickly, gets rid of the ball quickly if he has a chance at all, and he can

and very, very smart. excellent character, loves the game....oh, he is the top qb in this draft in my book of Wentz was the

perfect qb.

Cal he overthrows constantly just like the Kaiser does now and completes less that 60% of his passes both last year and this year. How you can say he is accurate given the 2nd tier teams he plays is beyond me. I think this season has hit your desperation button. High 50% is not an accurate arm regardless of level. He was even overthrowing simple wide open passes to the RB in the flat. Sorry, he is not the answer.

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

As far as qb's, I'm close to being on the "Baker Mayfield Wagon". He's got the emotion I like, the ability to improvise, the confidence to make the throws, the ABILITY to execute, and he's someone that could breathe LIFE into our stagnant offense. 

Let me clarify, Mayfield isn't someone you take with the FIRST pick, but I'd be fine with selecting him with our second 1st rounder. I don't care where the dang experts have him going. Mayfield looks like he'd be FUN to watch. Remember fun? 

I imagine the same exact words were used with Johnny Manziel replacing Baker Mayfield a few years ago.

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

This pick is going to change a 100 times in the next 6 months, but I'm having doubts about Saquon Barkley now. He's only rushed over 100 yards 3 times this season, and he gets bottled up too often. The backs that seem to have dominant impacts are built more like Fournette and Gurley, although Dalvin Cook was on his way to having a solid season before injury. 

At this time, there isn't a QB worthy of the #1 pick, nor is there a defensive talent like Myles Garrett. It's pretty much the absolute worst year ever to have the first pick, which is kind of funny when you think about it. It's just more crap wrong with us. No elite qb, WR, DE, or really anything you'd want to pick first. That sounds about right. 

I completely agree with this so you're probably wrong :)

Taking this one step further last year at draft time all we heard about was 2018 "Year of the QB" so picks were amassed to make a great play, how's that looking.

God I wish we would just draft talent with high picks and get contributors. 

34 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I imagine the same exact words were used with Johnny Manziel replacing Baker Mayfield a few years ago.

OU is my favorite college team and there is no comparison between Mayfield and Manziel, Manziel was much more talented.  Baker is a great college QB but he is in an incredible offense with fantastic players around him.  If the Browns were looking to draft Sooners Zeus Brown, CeeDee Lamb and Mark Andrews and Dimitri Flowers in the late rounds would be on my list.

Archived