THE BROWNS BOARD

Shaun Smith talking his way off the roster?

Sez.EJ

Shaun Smith, DT, Cleveland Browns Sunday 5/24, 10:42 AM CT (this is from the "roto times today)

The Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting that Shaun Smith may have worn out his welcome with the new coaching staff. It is being reported that Smith was told to "shape up and shut up."

Our View: It doesn't sound like Smith has a bright future in the Browns' organization. His mouth is getting him in trouble, much like it did last season when he got into a fight with quarterback Brady Quinn. Don't expect much from Smith this season unless he somehow manages to get out of coach Mangini's doghouse.

My view: I could care less if he runs his mouth so long as he performs. What did we really expect bringing in a former Bengal? I get the impression he is not a "mangini" kind of guy. He is not good enough to trade. So he has to put up or get cut. I have never been impressed with his performance. No big loss if he gets cut.

Guest Aloysius

He might be good enough to trade to a 3-4 team in exchange for a guy who's not going to make their 53 man roster. Denver and Dallas would make sense, given that each team is looking for depth at nose tackle and both have logjams at certain positions: Denver's five or six deep at running back and Dallas just drafted a bunch of linebackers and defensive backs.

Guest Aloysius

The Jets kept eight d-lineman on their roster last year, seven the year before that. So if Leonard or Smith play well, there'll be room for them on the roster.

Or Mangini could bring in additional bodies from elsewhere. It looks like Kentucky DE Jeremy Jarmon could be headed to the supplemental draft; he'd be a good guy to add to the roster.

S. Smith might be wakeup call #2 for this team. Shaffer was wakeup call #1. Real quick they are going to understand that the BS put up with by the previous coaches isn't going to be tolerated now. It's shut up and play time. Joe thomas had to run a lap during the voluntary mini camp because he had a false start. Playtime is over, it's time to concentrate on football in Cleveland.

After the mandatory minicamp is over everybody should fully understand what's expected of them and training camp will bring about a team with a new attitude, discipline and purpose. There might be a few casualities like S. Smith to prove the point.

I would expect most rookies (who want to play and not get in Mangini's doghouse) to be signed and in camp. As you have seen with the voluntary mini camp, the guys that were here working out voluntarily were working with the #1s.

There's a message here not only for Smith, but for Braylon, Steinbach, McDonald and yes, Cribbs and Dawson too.

shaun smith is a cancer and a disruptive personality in the Lockerroom...Id just assume dump his fat lazy ass now...

Keep in mind that this is another Grossi thing attributed to "according to sources" quote...

Who were his sources, the janitor at Berera?????

peace

T.Dawg

Actually that came directly from Bryan Cox the defensive line coach, who isn't a man to take any shit from anyone. All the media got that sound bite. It was sort of let out as a message of purpose.

The new theme is; "Shut up and Play". This team will be well disciplined. No more Country Club atmosphere, give the veterans a day or allowing continual mental mistakes BS. It's "SHUT UP AND PLAY" and "FOCUS".

I think we're all on the same page here with this dude. We are way too deep on the D-line and this guy isn't nearly good enough to be acting like he is/has. Au revoir.

Could there be a guy who is less of a "Mangini-type" player?

Archived