THE BROWNS BOARD

Biggest Trade Deadline concern

jcam222

I know there are individual threads relevant to our failures with Jimmy G and A.J. McCarron. With each you can find definite fault with the front office for not getting the deal done or even for wanting to do a deal for AJ.  To me neither of those is as big a concern as the fact that prior to the deadline we DID NOTHING. We didn't do anything to fill a hole, especially in areas of desperate need like wide receiver. There is absolutely every reason for the coaching staff to be livid with the complete lack of support from the front office due to this. Say what you want about the coaching, play calling , time management etc. but this was an utter and complete failure on the part of our FO to help the coaching staff, team and fans.

5 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

I know there are individual threads relevant to our failures with Jimmy G and A.J. McCarron. With each you can find definite fault with the front office for not getting the deal done or even for wanting to do a deal for AJ.  To me neither of those is as big a concern as the fact that due to the deadline we DID NOTHING. We didn't do anything to fill a hole, especially in areas of desperate need like wide receiver. There is absolutely every reason for the coaching staff to be livid with the complete lack of support from the front office due to this. Say what you want about the coaching, play calling , time management etc. but this was an utter and complete failure on the part of our FO to help the coaching staff, team and fans.

The analogy for this FO office would be Nero playing the fiddle while Rome burns. Does Sashi have Haslam hypnotized? But we have all those draft assets. Guess what- with the Eagles playing as well as they are, their second round pick we have is going to be a low one. 

1 minute ago, cdl15 said:

how they never entertained thoughts on K. Benj ill never understand. former 1st round talent for a 3rd? slam dunk if you ask me

Either

A.) The Front Office didn't try

B.) The teams didn't want their players to have to suffer through going to the browns, e.x. Garrappolo.

2 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Devil's advocate....NFL typically doesn't have a bunch of trade activity.

yes...but these guys are supposed to be thinking differently about how to do things.  We have a baseball guy there for christs sake and that's what baseball is all about is making deals at the trade deadline.   Either to strengthen your team this year or to unload assests for future players.  These guys should've been looking to make deals.

2 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

Either

A.) The Front Office didn't try

B.) The teams didn't want their players to have to suffer through going to the browns, e.x. Garrappolo.

C. All of the above?  But I find it hard to believe that Carolina wouldn't have wanted the 1st pick in the 3rd round over the 18-32nd pick in the third round.

Just now, cdl15 said:

C. All of the above?  But I find it hard to believe that Carolina wouldn't have wanted the 1st pick in the 3rd round over the 18-32nd pick in the third round.

I think they did, but Sashi's moneyball plan didn't agree with it. He'd rather have another pick and another Corey Coleman.

1 minute ago, cdl15 said:

how they never entertained thoughts on K. Benj ill never understand. former 1st round talent for a 3rd? slam dunk if you ask me

Who is to say they didn't? Kelvin is also on a contract year and I'm confident would NEVER have agreed to sign an extension. 

So you would have honestly been okay with getting 1/2 a year of a guy on an 0-8 Browns team who likely wouldn't have stayed? Think critically for at least 5 seconds, please. 

1 minute ago, jrb12711 said:

Who is to say they didn't? Kelvin is also on a contract year and I'm confident would NEVER have agreed to sign an extension. 

So you would have honestly been okay with getting 1/2 a year of a guy on an 0-8 Browns team who likely wouldn't have stayed? Think critically for at least 5 seconds, please. 

Yea who wants to be the only team to talk the guy the rest of the year before making his decision? Too bad the LOSER mentality is spilling over into the fanbase. I wonder why the browns don't address the biggest hole on the team at the deadline and you worried about hypotheticals. especially since they were about to shell out a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a position they probably gonna spend a #1 on in 5 months any ways.  Raise your hand next time son.

4 minutes ago, cdl15 said:

Yea who wants to be the only team to talk the guy the rest of the year before making his decision? Too bad the LOSER mentality is spilling over into the fanbase. I wonder why the browns don't address the biggest hole on the team at the deadline and you worried about hypotheticals. especially since they were about to shell out a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a position they probably gonna spend a #1 on in 5 months any ways.  Raise your hand next time son.

HOW COULD I FORGET WE COULD TALK TO HIM?!?!

You're totally right, I'm sure a dude on the verge of a huge NFL contract would love to play 1/2 a season of football where we could just talk his ear off. Hey Kelvin, let's talk about how you can play for 3 back-up QB's! Hey Kelvin, let's talk about how your bound to have awful stats to make your value go down! Hey Kelvin, let's talk about the fact that you can get a similar contract with half the teams in the league, but we're the best! Shmuck YEAH, LET'S PAY A HIGH 3RD ROUND PICK FOR THAT! THERE'S NO WAY HE'D SAY NO THAT DEAL BABY! 

Some of you are so dense it scares me to think we share the same roads. Maybe instead, you should keep your hand down. It'd be best for when the rest of us are actually talking.

30 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

So let's entertain your thought process on Benjamin, right or wrong. Explain to us why we did NOTHING. No one will convince me we didn't need to add immediate talent. Based on our draft capital and excess of talent at DL you will damn sure not convince me we couldn't execute a deal. The lack of action indicates either a complete detachment from reality or an astounding level arrogance on their blundered path. 

11 minutes ago, cdl15 said:

yea cause a lot of guys get dealt for a late 3rd rouder when they are on the verge of HUGE CONTRACT.  "think critically for 5 seconds"

I will bet you literally any amount of money you want Benjamin gets a $10 million plus dollar per year contract. Seriously, say eleventy billion dollars and I'll agree. 

Panthers traded him because they see Funchess as their guy and have monster contracts to fulfill coming up. It's really not hard to listen to any myriad of sports radio and you'd understand this concept my dog could grasp of why he was traded.

2 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

So let's entertain your thought process on Benjamin, right or wrong. Explain to us why we did NOTHING. No one will convince me we didn't need to add immediate talent. Based on our draft capital and excess of talent at DL you will damn sure not convince me we couldn't execute a deal. 

I'm not disagreeing with you though. If you wanna talk about guys like Landry, Hilton, Dareus, etc who actually had years remaining on their contract, I wouldn't argue. But to say we should have traded high picks for guys who absolutely in no shape or form would agree to sign here after the season is beyond stupid. I'd call for their heads if they did that.

Just now, jrb12711 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you though. If you wanna talk about guys like Landry, Hilton, Dareus, etc who actually had years remaining on their contract, I wouldn't argue. But to say we should have traded high picks for guys who absolutely in no shape or form would agree to sign here after the season is beyond stupid. I'd call for their heads if they did that.

I think that's a fair take. 

38 minutes ago, Mark O said:

yes...but these guys are supposed to be thinking differently about how to do things.  We have a baseball guy there for christs sake and that's what baseball is all about is making deals at the trade deadline.   Either to strengthen your team this year or to unload assests for future players.  These guys should've been looking to make deals.

I get it, this process is almost impossible to accept.

I think they were so disenchanted with the Jimmy G dealings from earlier, they didn't pursue him again. Then, with so much backlash, they were willing to overpay for AJ. It's almost as if they are not trusting their own plan anymore...not a good look.

Last thing  I wanted was failure, and another blow up of the organization.Oh well, here we go again...

8 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

But didn't they just do something similar with Jamie Collins just last season? 

Not saying Benjamin would have signed here, but what's the excuse for doing NOTHING?  Maybe that wasn't the guy, but surely they could have done something, no?  They could have TRIED god damn it.

46 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

oh and another thing Kelvin isn't a FA till 2019 but keep spouting off dipshit. God the people real football fans gotta deal with today. makes me sad for our youth

1 minute ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

Not saying Benjamin would have signed here, but what's the excuse for doing NOTHING?  Maybe that wasn't the guy, but surely they could have done something, no?  They could have TRIED god damn it.

Exactly, you don't score if you don't shoot. I don't know about anyone else but with $5K in PSL's and $2K a year on tickets it pisses me off that we didn't do a damn thing 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

hes not a FA after this year. some moron spreading fake news

jrb12711 posted Kelvin Benjiman is a FA after this year when in reality its after next season. and then gets all pissy and says they shoulda taken a crack on a guy with remaining years left using Jarvis Landy who is actually a FA after this year.

All this actually has me pretty confident that jrb12711 is in fact Sashi Brown.

26 minutes ago, cdl15 said:

jrb12711 posted Kelvin Benjiman is a FA after this year when in reality its after next season. and then gets all pissy and says they shoulda taken a crack on a guy with remaining years left using Jarvis Landy who is actually a FA after this year.

All this actually has me pretty confident that jrb12711 is in fact Sashi Brown.

Kelvin Benjamin agreed to a four year contract off which the team has the option to sign him to a 5th year. That 5th year can be declined by either team or player. So guess what? You're still wrong. You also sound like a 10 year old and it's pathetic. It's not anger, it's sadness. I truly feel sorry for you.

Well since the 5th year option was already picked up I guess that makes u wrong. Dude you already googled it. U know as well as I do he doesn't become a free agent till 2019. It's not.a matter of opinion. It is a fact. Not being able to admit your wrong is what's sad. 

4 hours ago, jcam222 said:

I know there are individual threads relevant to our failures with Jimmy G and A.J. McCarron. With each you can find definite fault with the front office for not getting the deal done or even for wanting to do a deal for AJ.  To me neither of those is as big a concern as the fact that prior to the deadline we DID NOTHING. We didn't do anything to fill a hole, especially in areas of desperate need like wide receiver. There is absolutely every reason for the coaching staff to be livid with the complete lack of support from the front office due to this. Say what you want about the coaching, play calling , time management etc. but this was an utter and complete failure on the part of our FO to help the coaching staff, team and fans.

But they have a ton of picks....

Archived