THE BROWNS BOARD

Happy Memorial Day to my fellow Veterans

Thanks man.

Every Memorial Day I get a bundle of flowers and head to the National Cemetery we have here in town and start walking the rows.

Sooner or later the feeling gets right over some marker that probably hasn't been visited in some time, lay the flowers down and have a little chat with whoever is there, sleeping in honor.

general2.jpg

Thanks to all you war hero's.

Since I served in peacetime ive been told I dont count but to all those who did we will never forget.

Happy veterans day.

You count my man. You never know when you are going to be called upon.

You were there and ready to bring it on.

Thanks to all you war hero's.

Since I served in peacetime ive been told I dont count but to all those who did we will never forget.

Happy veterans day.

You SERVED our Country! God Bless you & a heartfelt thanks to you & to all my Comrades in Arms from this ol' 'Nam vet.

Mike

http://www.usmemorialday.org/poetry/unaware.htm

A good poem.

God Bless our troops before and now,

and God Bless the soldiers who never

came back.

They earned our freedom for us, changed the world,

over a hundred thousand of American soldiers graves

are "over there".

The Greatest Generation - probably every one of us

has known some of those who went "over there".

God Bless all the veterans.

Earlier this spring, for a big Easter picnic with the father-in-law's distant relatives, we went to Indiana.

Stayed at the home of his nephew, who was an avid WWII buff.

He studied WWII since he was a young kid on their big farm. And just a few years ago, he

bought a legit WWII jeep that had been restored. It looked like it was right out of a movie.

So, his WWII days fascinated him. He and his best friend from town roamed the hills of their

farm in their frustration of being too young to enlist to fight to save the world.

So, in their fascination about the war, they read every newspaper, listened to every program

on the subject on their radio.

It came to pass one day, that they decided that they could go "over there", so they readied

themselves to fight the war if it came "over here".

So, they ended up digging secret bunkers underground in the hills of their farm, and stocking them

with apples and rock candy. They made machine guns by carving sticks with their knives, taking care

to try to make them look like the pictures in the paper.

They even carved bullets.

So went their WWII escapades on their farm...

Until one day, his Dad, walked out into the hills and pastures to go find a cow that didn't come in on cue.

It was just laying in the shade of a very hot summer day.

So, he fussed at the cow and the cow got up and followed him home.

Well, on the way home, he and the cow both fell into one of the boys' bunkers.

So it happened, that the boys' WWII experience consisted of "digging foxholes" in the first half of the war,

and filling them back up again the second half of the war...

So, he said he was fiercely proud to have driven his jeep in last year's 4th of July parade, with two

of the oldest WWII veterans in the parade. They loved it.

Happy Memorial Day.

My reason to go into the military was totally self serving and I dont deserve the thank you for your service acknowledgements that are said to those who served.

If asked I most absolutely would have done what ever was needed in time of war,but as it were it was peacetime and like I said my service was self serving and had nothing to do with wanting to kill anyone just a way out of a bad neighborhood and a chance to become my own man.

Meet 1/2 the military.

But thanks to all the vets.

Most folks have personal reasons for enlisting.

The point is, they do their duty and give our country

the best military in the world today.

My reason to go into the military was totally self serving and I dont deserve the thank you for your service acknowledgements that are said to those who served.

If asked I most absolutely would have done what ever was needed in time of war,but as it were it was peacetime and like I said my service was self serving and had nothing to do with wanting to kill anyone just a way out of a bad neighborhood and a chance to become my own man.

Exactly, Dan. And it's not just you, it's ALL people who enlist that are serving themselves. (Other than the few genuine nutbags who really believe they're giving all for their country in some religious sense or something, of which DieHard is probably a part.)

It's simple logical human psychology.

If you buy me a beer, you aren't buying me a beer for me. You are buying me a beer for you. For all the intangible things you get in return. (Trust, respect, bonding, etc.)

On a totally different level, people enlist to serve themselves. Then they paint it as selfless to grab the glory and attention for being so brave... yet anyone with a brain can see right through it.

Archived