THE BROWNS BOARD

All this nonsense talk about the run defense....

Tacosman

7 hours ago, Tacosman said:

thats ten bucks you would lose.

the nfl is not a running league.  the nfl is a passing league.  Not a balanced league.  

Meaningless cliches like "stop the run and run the ball" are just that....meaningless.  

you win on defense in the nfl by stopping big plays through the air and getting off the field on third down(which is a passing down in the nfl).  Do those things and you're golden.  

There arent any teams in the nfl that can really consistently run the football with their backs.  It just isn't possible.  

Wow are you wrong! Weve been stopping "big plays" through the air all year, or at least a hell of a lot better than years past, and that hasn't resulted in W's.

Also, you dont wait until 3rd down to play defense.  If your run D can give them 3rd and 6-8 instead of 3rd and 2 or 3, then you've significantly improved your chances of getting off the field on 3rd down.

Do you even watch football, or just the MSESPN highlights...? 

13 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Wins and losses arent the point. When ur defense was dead last in all categories and now isnt, thats something

Yeah they are.  Moral victories are useless.  And there is nothing to illustrate what this defense looks like in a 60 minute 17-14 game.  There have been 3 games Steelers, Jets & Titans where the games were actually close but I didn't feel at any time in the 4th quarter the Browns would win.

20 hours ago, Tacosman said:

thats ten bucks you would lose.

the nfl is not a running league.  the nfl is a passing league.  Not a balanced league.  

Meaningless cliches like "stop the run and run the ball" are just that....meaningless.  

you win on defense in the nfl by stopping big plays through the air and getting off the field on third down(which is a passing down in the nfl).  Do those things and you're golden.  

There arent any teams in the nfl that can really consistently run the football with their backs.  It just isn't possible.  

well, gee whiz, explain why every team in the league has running backs. Like, why do the Patriots have any rb's at all?:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Anyone catch the Saints game Sunday? :)

Yes. 300 rushing yards. Like 20 straight running plays. No stopping Ingram or Kamara. And then I think his name was Edmunds? Not sure their 3rd string back went in for like a 40 yard touchdown run. It was a blowout. And to a good bills defense. 

3 minutes ago, Alkid3 said:

Not to mention NO. Which has turned into a better run team with Peterson gone.

They have turned into a better balanced team. I saw them early on trying to satisfy all 3 backs to the detriment of losing the "Brees" game. Once they got rid of him both backs have plenty to do and Bress is still free to pick apart D's while using PA. Ingram and Kamara are the best one-two punch in the league right now. I really wanted Kamara @ 65 but we went DT instead. Understandable given I also wanted to build this D. But damn I thought he played great @ Tenn. Now look how bad they are without him (HC just fired).

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

They have turned into a better balanced team. I saw them early on trying to satisfy all 3 backs to the detriment of losing the "Brees" game. Once they got rid of him both backs have plenty to do and Bress is still free to pick apart D's while using PA. Ingram and Kamara are the best one-two punch in the league right now. I really wanted Kamara @ 65 but we went DT instead. Understandable given I also wanted to build this D. But damn I thought he played great @ Tenn. Now look how bad they are without him (HC just fired).

He is an awesome back. And Ingram is playing mad. Taking 4 people to tackle him. 

Archived