THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

TIPPING

These are the average restaurant tipping rates in 12 U.S. metro areas

1. Cleveland: 20.6%
  2. Denver: 19.8%
  3. Salt Lake City: 19.6%
  4. Phoenix: 19.5%
  5. Richmond: 19.3%
  6. Chicago: 19.3%
  7. New Orleans: 19.0%
  8. New York: 18.7%
  9. Washington, D.C.: 18.6%
  10. Seattle: 18.0%
  11. Los Angeles: 17.5%
  12. San Francisco: 17.0%

The etiquette of tipping in the digital payments age

The Toast study was based on transactions where the tip was added via credit card or digital payment, which feels apt. Just about every transaction you make these days, it seems, comes with a tablet being flipped in your direction with suggested tip amounts.

Having worked in the restaurant industry, I always considered myself a good tipper, at least where sit-down table service was concerned. As long as the server doesn't stick a fork in my eye, they get 20% — more if they're especially good.

When it comes to those tablets, I tend to get a little more confused. I recently picked a few things up at a local grocer/convenience store/deli, and when the touchscreen flipped, I was prompted to tip 20%, 22%, or 25%. On a 12-pack of beer and some chips and dip I'd have normally tipped, well, nothing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, mjp28 said:

TIPPING

These are the average restaurant tipping rates in 12 U.S. metro areas

1. Cleveland: 20.6%
  2. Denver: 19.8%
  3. Salt Lake City: 19.6%
  4. Phoenix: 19.5%
  5. Richmond: 19.3%
  6. Chicago: 19.3%
  7. New Orleans: 19.0%
  8. New York: 18.7%
  9. Washington, D.C.: 18.6%
  10. Seattle: 18.0%
  11. Los Angeles: 17.5%
  12. San Francisco: 17.0%

The etiquette of tipping in the digital payments age

The Toast study was based on transactions where the tip was added via credit card or digital payment, which feels apt. Just about every transaction you make these days, it seems, comes with a tablet being flipped in your direction with suggested tip amounts.

Having worked in the restaurant industry, I always considered myself a good tipper, at least where sit-down table service was concerned. As long as the server doesn't stick a fork in my eye, they get 20% — more if they're especially good.

When it comes to those tablets, I tend to get a little more confused. I recently picked a few things up at a local grocer/convenience store/deli, and when the touchscreen flipped, I was prompted to tip 20%, 22%, or 25%. On a 12-pack of beer and some chips and dip I'd have normally tipped, well, nothing.

The act of picking up take out-  That’s not service that warrants a 20% tip.  You put chop sticks in my bag and carry the bag five feet and then hand  me the bag-  that’s not worth 20% 

Looks like Clevelanders are some generous people. We had some downtown San Diego eating establishments doing 4% surcharges on bills.   Started about 4 years ago because of minimum wage increases… Add in the 7.5% tax rate.  You get 11.5% in some places before you tip.  

I have No problem with tipping 20%.  90% of the service I get is great.   It is only 4% But I hated the move the surcharge that restaurant owners added to bills. 

I like Tuna or Salmon patties.  Eat them straight up or on a bun.

I have a small George Foreman. Perfect size for 2 sandwiches or 2 thick patties. They aren't good for a lot of things, but for a grilled sandwich or Salmon/Tuna patties, they can't be beat.

6 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I like Tuna or Salmon patties.  Eat them straight up or on a bun.

I have a small George Foreman. Perfect size for 2 sandwiches or 2 thick patties. They aren't good for a lot of things, but for a grilled sandwich or Salmon/Tuna patties, they can't be beat.

Oh yes !       We do that often on a dish  -or-  on a bunch it's your choice you can't go wrong with either.  Just use your favorite marinade or tartar or better yet nothing  extra on your delicious fish sandwich. 

i like my steelhead trout with my wife's Ina Garten inspired  "go to"  simple Dijon mustard marinade.  

Steelhead trout now just ahead of Salmon or other fish bur you can't miss with any of them  -and-  they are so GOOD for you  !     :D

6 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Dijon mustard

You can't go wrong with that.  Perfect straight up on a meat of some sort or the base of a sauce or marinade.  Hard to screw it up if you start with that.

Well it seems like everyone has a recipe for  - WALKING  TACO CASSEROLE  -   well here's one more.    From our niece in Nashville,  Tennessee  (recipe originally Canada) 

And of course good for a   * GAMEDAY *  or just any family dish.

Walking Taco Casserole

1 1⁄2 pounds Ground Beef
1⁄3 large Onion, chopped
1 can Green Chilies, small can
1 can Enchilada Sauce
2 ounces Cream Cheese
1 bag Fritos Corn Chips
1 bag Shredded Cheese
3⁄4 cup Lettuce, shredded
1⁄2 cup Tomato, fresh, diced
16 ounces Salsa
8 ounces Sour Cream

Brown ground beef with onion.
Add green chilies, enchilada sauce and cream cheese.
In a 9×13 pan, repeat layers as follows:
• Fritos chips  Meat Mixture  Shredded Cheese.
Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Top individual servings with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream as desired.

330898667_754370732565287_5194427068500954257_n.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2023 at 10:47 AM, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

As someone who has actually eaten the things, that recipe leaves out an important step IMO.  You then have to fry them up in a little bacon grease after the boil.

• 3 weeks later...

How about a  -GAMEDAY-  Opening Day  PIZZERIA-STYLE STROMBOLI  ?  WHY NOT !

You don't need to leave your kitchen to make a pizzeria-worthy stromboli. These "bake" perfectly in your air fryer! You see, the air fryer allows hot air to circulate all around the stromboli, which results in a crunchy-on-the-outside, yet tender-on-the-inside crust. Plus, there's all the molten meat and cheese filling too. In the end, you get to enjoy a really delicious, authentic-tasting stromboli! 

SERVES 4    COOK TIME only  10 MINUTES  !  

A quick and easy GAMEDAY treat.  

You don't need to leave your kitchen to make a pizzeria-worthy stromboli. These "bake" perfectly in your air fryer! You see, the air fryer allows hot air to circulate all around the stromboli, which results in a crunchy-on-the-outside, yet tender-on-the-inside crust. Plus, there's all the molten meat and cheese filling too. In the end, you get to enjoy a really delicious, authentic-tasting stromboli! 

What You'll Need

• 1 (11-ounce) can refrigerated thin crust pizza dough
  • 16 slices thinly sliced deli salami
  • 1 cup spinach leaves
  • 1/2 cup sliced roasted red peppers
  • 8 slices provolone cheese
  • 1/4 cup Italian dressing, divided
  • Cooking Spray
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, divided
  • Parmesan cheese for sprinkling

What to Do

1. Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees F. Unroll pizza dough on a cutting board and cut into 4 equal-sized rectangles.
  2. Layer each piece of dough evenly with salami, spinach, red peppers, provolone cheese, and 1 tablespoon Italian dressing. Starting at the long edge of dough, roll up jelly roll-style. Spray top of each with cooking spray, then evenly sprinkle with Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese.
  3. Coat air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place 2 stromboli in basket and air-fry for 9 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining stromboli. After the second 2 are done, place first 2 back in for 1 minute to warm up.

Check This Out!

If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!

◇◆   What You'll Need

• 1 cup spinach leaves
  • Cooking Spray

What to Do

1. Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees F. Unroll pizza dough on a cutting board and cut into 4 equal-sized rectangles.
  2. Layer each piece of dough evenly with salami, spinach, red peppers, provolone cheese, and 1 tablespoon Italian dressing. Starting at the long edge of dough, roll up jelly roll-style. Spray top of each with cooking spray, then evenly sprinkle with Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese.
  3. Coat air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place 2 stromboli in basket and air-fry for 9 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining stromboli. After the second 2 are done, place first 2 back in for 1 minute to warm up.

◇◆    Check This Out!

Pizzeria-Style-Stromboli_Category-CategoryPageDefault_ID-3361076.jpg

Oh yes what a delicious morning so far ...... indeed !   :lol:

...... screw it, I'll clean it up later.

Edited by mjp28

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

How about a  -GAMEDAY-  Opening Day  PIZZERIA-STYLE STROMBOLI  ?  WHY NOT !

SERVES 4    COOK TIME only  10 MINUTES  !  

A quick and easy GAMEDAY treat.  

What You'll Need

• 1 cup spinach leaves
  • Cooking Spray

What to Do

Check This Out!

◇◆   What You'll Need

• 1 cup spinach leaves
  • Cooking Spray

What to Do

◇◆    Check This Out!

Pizzeria-Style-Stromboli_Category-CategoryPageDefault_ID-3361076.jpg

Maxim's in Mentor makes terrific Stromboli's... The place is owned and run by former boxer Joe Maxim's family... Been a customer there for over 30 years from when they were on 185th street in Cleveland.

Me, I just like a London Broil sliced into lunch meat size by the local grocer sandwiched between Dave's Killer Bread called Good Seed with Ranch Dressing instead of mustard or mayo. Good stuff that for lunch or dinner on the go.😋

9 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Me, I just like a London Broil sliced into lunch meat size by the local grocer sandwiched between Dave's Killer Bread called Good Seed with Ranch Dressing instead of mustard or mayo. Good stuff that for lunch or dinner on the go.😋

I hate Ranch... It's disgusting!

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yeah, but I bet you never turned down Farmer's Daughter Undressing.😁

Well who would? :P

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was about ready to do a few relatively easy, still economical and   always   delicious recipes  a requirement for any recipes we do here or ..... why bother right ?    Well here we go with  #1. and I  really like this one.

♥︎.  Oh YES a really soup-ed up grilled cheese sandwich.   UM-UM !   Great for any  ◆ GAMEDAY ◆ or day you want something deliciously different  for lunch.

Think a grilled cheese sandwich is just for the kids? Think again! This ◆ ITALIAN-ANTIPASTO GRILLED CHEESE ◆  has all the tastes of your favorite Italian restaurant-style salad, in a warm, melty sandwich. What gives it the added flavor are some roasted red peppers, and a few slices of salami. It'll take your grilled cheese sandwich from kids-only to 5-star gourmet ready! 

thumbnail?appid=YahooMailAndroidMobile&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2
SERVES 4   delicious TC sandwiches. 

◆◇    What You'll Need

• 8 slices Italian or sourdough bread
  • 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, cut into strips, drained well
  • 8 slices deli-style Genoa salami
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 cup olive oil

◆◇    What to Do

1. Place 4 bread slices on work surface. Evenly layer each slice with provolone cheese, red pepper strips, and salami. Sprinkle with garlic powder and oregano. Place remaining bread on top and brush both sides of sandwiches with olive oil.
  2. In a large skillet or a griddle over medium heat, cook sandwiches in batches until golden on both sides and cheese is melted.

◆◇  Test Kitchen Tip

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.primecp.co 

For more cheesy-good recipes, download our free eCookbook! 

The Cheese-Lover's eCookbook: 34 Easy Recipes with Cheese

◆◇◆◇  Up Next another UM-UM !

Italian-Antipasto-Grilled-Cheese_ExtraLarge700_ID-3020325.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've made dandelion jelly - it's excellent. and dandelion tea - I add come in my green tea a lot of the time, and in my iced tea. and fried dandelion blossoms are a neat treat.

Next on my list - dandelion bread. So many wild plants that are very edible, and really nutritious. I've been collecting dandelion and chickory roots to roast and make coffee out of.

Southerners began creating coffee from chicory when the North placed coffee under embargo during the Civil War, and Confederates had to use their wits to get their java. Chicory is the endive plant's root — a perennial from the dandelion family, and popular in salads or found among passed hors d'oeuvres at cocktail parties.
    I'll give an update on the bread.
Meanwhile, helpful hint on garlic. I had some garlic I bought - three clusters of em, and the last one was petrified. Totally dried out. I scraped with a knife, for omelets, but that was tedious.
  The garlic cloves were like rocks.
So, I got the idea to get my coffee grinder out (I make wild flour etc, haven't tried from acorns yet), and I ground up those rock hard garlic cloves. And I ended up with a lot of excellent garlic "salt". Lasts forever in a ziplock bag.  Later on I'll take all three whatever bulbs, and do it again. No waste.

Hungry for some  marinated  ▪︎  Grilled  Salmon  ▪︎  , mmm-mmm  !     :D

This recipe is for Ina Garten's  the Barefoot Contessa   "go-to"   salmon marinade.  This has become my favorite especially for the bigger, heartier fish like  SALMON or TUNA  filets.   It's so easy and you can get good at it with a little practice.  This will be on our grill tonight and in the future.
YIELD 4.  ACTIVE TIME 5.    TOTAL TIME. 34

INGREDIENTS

• 1 side fresh salmon, boned but skin on (about 3 pounds)
    • For the marinade: 
    • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    • 3 tablespoons good soy sauce
    • 6 tablespoons good olive oil
    • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

PREPARATION

1. ◆ Light charcoal briquettes in a grill and brush the grilling rack with oil to keep the salmon from sticking. While the grill is heating, lay the salmon skin side down on a cutting board and cut it crosswise into 4 equal pieces.
    2.  ◆ Whisk together the dijon mustard, soy sauce, olive oil, and garlic in a small bowl. Drizzle half of the marinade onto the salmon and allow it to sit for ★10 minutes. Place the salmon skin side down on the hot grill; discard the marinade the fish was sitting in.  [ ★NOTE: we often let the marinade set on the fish in the refrigerator until we are ready to use it. ]
    3. ◆ Grill for 4 to 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. Turn carefully with a wide spatula and grill for another 4 to 5 minutes. The salmon will be slightly raw in the center, but don't worry; it will keep cooking as it sits. Transfer the fish to a flat plate, skin side down, and spoon the reserved marinade on top. Allow the fish to rest for 10 minutes. 
    4. ◆ Remove the skin and serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled. 

1387475767206.jpeg

One of the old reliable can't miss dependable recipe  DAD'S MEAT LOAF  oh yeah ..... plus a bonus 20 additional meat loaf LOAF recipes.     

If you're like us you like to make a nice   ▪︎ GAMEDAY ▪︎.  dish for before,  during or after the big game whether it's baseball,  basketball or especially  BROWNS FOOTBALL  !  And look down below for our extra recipes and tips.  Ummm-ummm meat loaf it just sounds delicious. 

thumbnail?appid=YahooMailAndroidMobile&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

SERVES  6  ◆  COOK TIME 1 HOUR

Let's face it: we all have a favorite easy meat loaf recipe, including Dad. For Dad, the best meatloaf recipes call for a combination of beef and pork, as well as some essential but basic meatloaf seasonings and sauces. It's a good possibility that Dad's Meat Loaf could be everyone's new favorite easy meatloaf recipe! Plus, this classic meatloaf recipe is easy enough to be a weeknight meal, so you can whip it up any night for dinner. 

◆  What You'll Need

• 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 pound ground pork
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup ketchup, divided
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon light brown sugar

◆  What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, combine beef, pork, onion, bread crumbs, eggs, 1/4 cup ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper; mix well. Press mixture into prepared pan.
  3. In a small bowl, combine remaining ketchup and brown sugar; brush over meat loaf.
  4. Bake 1 to 1-1/4 hours, or until juices run clear. Allow to sit 5 minutes, then slice and serve Test Kitchen Tip!
  • It's important not to over-mix your meat loaf. Over-mixing can make your meat loaf dense and not as juicy. Also, if you want to end up with a really moist meatloaf, we recommend using ground chuck. However, because this meat loaf is made with a mix of beef and pork, you can use a leaner ground beef (90/10) and still end up with a moist and tender meat loaf. 

Up Next, oh yes 20 more delicious recipes !

Dads-Meat-Loaf_Category-CategoryPageDefault_ID-1026233 (1).jpg

I don't know if I've mentioned this one before.. But what I like to do is take a lb of Croatian or Slovenian style smoked sausage (sliced). A can or two of stewed tomato's, Chunky diced potatoes and pole beans. Dump them in a pot. then add seasonings like pepper, a little parsley and dry spearmint and then add a table spoon of brown sugar.. Let it come to a boil for a short period. Then lower the heat to a slow simmer for about 45 mins to an hour... Cut the flame off then let it cook in its own heat for about a 1/2 hour... And you wind up with a nice hearty pot of goodness!...

• Like 1

btw, a cool snack for games - collect a bunch of maple "helicopter" seeds, and get the seeds out of them.

Boil them to bring out a little sweetness, (they are a bit bitter raw), and roast them on a pan, and they are little crunch nuts that taste like peas.

With a little salt, a very fine treat.

I didn't get to make dandelion bread or jelly this spring - walking around with a hinged brace on til knee replacement. (brace, btw, $170, free for me with insurance).

For dessert  - pineapple upside down cake baked in a dutch oven.

Helpful hint for main course cooking:

get a little coffee bean grinder, and if you have any rock hard dried out garlic cloves - grind them up in it. Makes a terrific garlic powder, won't go to waste. Lasts a very long time. Those dried up cloves are tough to scrape with a knife, I've tried it.

Now, if I could just find a recipe for coconut creme pie like I get out in Amish country.....

I do have a recipe for coconut cake with icing - that would go great with Cowboy Coffee. I got rid of our coffee makers at a garage sale.

On 5/22/2023 at 6:12 AM, nickers said:

I don't know if I've mentioned this one before.. But what I like to do is take a lb of Croatian or Slovenian style smoked sausage (sliced). A can or two of stewed tomato's, Chunky diced potatoes and pole beans. Dump them in a pot. then add seasonings like pepper, a little parsley and dry spearmint and then add a table spoon of brown sugar.. Let it come to a boil for a short period. Then lower the heat to a slow simmer for about 45 mins to an hour... Cut the flame off then let it cook in its own heat for about a 1/2 hour... And you wind up with a nice hearty pot of goodness!...

I'll give you the BONUS points for the Croatian or Slovenian smoked sausage.    I belonged to the S.N.P.J. Slovenian Lodge #643 out of Girard, Ohio for many enjoyable decades at our big 3 level main building  (now gone).

Many really fun summer weekends at Strossmayers (Croatian) picnic grounds in Vienna, Ohio.  We had our S.N.P.J. #643 Summer weekend Lodge picnic out there ..... and I was the Picnic Chairman for many of them.  Even though I was 50% Ukrainian we hunkies blended right in there.   Since the lodge disbanded a few decades ago long gone but  ABSOLUTELY  FANTASTIC AFTERNOONS AND EVENINGS UNDER THE STARS.  ❤️   

AND our various weekends to the Borough of S.N.P.J. in Enon Valley, Pennsylvania,  fantastic. 

And the food at all of them were top shelf delicious by expert grill chefs.   🔥🔥🔥

Eat well, enjoy life and  Bon Appétit  !!

43 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I'll give you the BONUS points for the Croatian or Slovenian smoked sausage.    I belonged to the S.N.P.J. Slovenian Lodge #643 out of Girard, Ohio for many enjoyable decades at our big 3 level main building  (now gone).

Many really fun summer weekends at Strossmayers (Croatian) picnic grounds in Vienna, Ohio.  We had our S.N.P.J. #643 Summer weekend Lodge picnic out there ..... and I was the Picnic Chairman for many of then.  Even though I was 50% Ukrainian we hunkies blended right in there.   Since the lodge disbanded a few decades ago long gone but  ABSOLUTELY  FANTASTIC AFTERNOONS AND UNDER THE STARS.  ❤️   

AND our various weekends to the Borough of S.N.P.J. in Enon Vallet, Pennsylvania,  fantastic. 

And the food at all of them were top shelf delicious by expert grill chefs.   🔥🔥🔥

Eat well, enjoy life and  Bon Appétit  !!

I'm Croatian,Italian and Sicilian descent... LOL that makes me some kind of CIS I guess 'laughs'... But seriously... I grew up on Ethnic foods, everything authentic and not the bastardized American horse shit.. Real homemade Sicilian style Pizza and Tomato sauce.. We never called it "Pasta" That's an American term for the most part.. We always called it "Maccheroni" (Macaroni) or by the various names.. Linguine, Mosticcioli, Or Maliete Rigate, Fettucine,etc. Then theres what us Cro's like to call "Cro-Slaw" which is shredded thinly sliced cabbage with Olive oil,red wine vinegar with just salt and pepper to taste. Another Croatian favorite is "Burek" (Bu-dik) its thinly rolled out dough coiled into a pan filled with diced pork, onions and potatoes bathed in oil pretty much and baked to a light crusty crisp.. To Die for!!!

~  ★  Tonight's Monday Memorial Day dinner.   ★  ~

● 8 stuffed green cubanelle peppers   ( this variety of stuffed green cubanelles include )

Our Ingredients  :  Italian  turkey sausage (or your choice),  evoo,  chopped onion, minced garlic, Italian bread crumbs,  1 cup Monterrey Jack, 1 cup mozzarella,  fresh parsley.  ( NO  rice in this recipe.)

▪︎. My wife uses her own homemade marinara sauce from tomatoes  -or- you can buy a store bought  jar of marinara sauce.  It's up to you if you want to home make a marinara (our choice)  or out of a jar, also not bad.

There are many varieties of stuffed green peppers that you can lookup online or in a cookbook.  [ NOTE:  If anyone is interested in her exact  recipe with instructions just let me know.  The above is what we are having tonight.   :)

●   A garden salad with a choice of dressing. 

●  A choice of vegetable side dish.

●  For dessert a chocolate cake. Her choice.    

▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎.      ♥︎      ▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎

20230529_180752.jpeg

20230528_102008.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh God those stuffed cubanelles were delicious Monday  ...... ★★  even better as leftovers on Tuesday  ★★  :D

......  Why is it that the leftovers are better than the originals  ?   Maybe the extra time to marry the flavors  ?     ❤️♥︎     :)

..........  oh yes those stuffed green cubanelles,   ummm-ummm.    

images (11).jpeg

Edited by mjp28