THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

On 7/10/2022 at 2:38 PM, mjp28 said:

Hi fellow GAMEDAY MEALS  and BROWNS fans,

Something different I've often mentioned that my wife the cook and herb gardener grows and dries about  ❤️  12-14 DIFFERENT HERBS we love  ❤️  every year somewhat depending on availability.  She also propagates,  uses starts and plants some from seeds depending on how they grow.

Well this year she moved about 75% of the herbs  to behind the house along with our cherry tomatoes already over 5' high. That bed at one time was flowers.    -but-    our local rabbit hoard just loves to eat them    -and-   she won't let me hunt them so.....guess what rabbits,  deer and others  hate  most herbs in fact we used to plant them around the flowers for protection.  We had a HUGE flower bed on the other side of our brick patio with the grill. 

SO she took a picture from our deck at the new herb garden.  She has a green thumb just like her late father Lou.

And homegrown herbs taste way, way better than store bought  plus  we save $$$ hundreds a year on those little bottles and bags.  We also give away tons of herbs, some whole plants to friends and neighbors  for free.   Here's this week's picture  bon appetit  on chicken,  turkey,  soups, stews, casseroles and more.  :D

20220706_195525.jpeg

The Basil looks great.

On 7/11/2022 at 3:25 PM, SdBacker80 said:

The Basil looks great.

Oh yes.      We've got 12 different varieties of herbs right now with different basils, thymes and others.  She also propagates  and some herbs last several years so it varies some year to year.  Not all are in that picture. 

She's been doing it for a long time and has that green thumb just like her late father Lou.   

I grew up in a gardening family,  about 5 acres at the old homestead  of about everything including a nice barn.  A fun hobby. 

♠︎  Today's  dinner  menu.  ♠︎

Country Pork ribs in sauerkraut,  parsley buttered potatoes.   And naturally our fresh herbs just cut now for both.  And the cook has taste tested everything,  I'm watching the Guardians (up 10-0)   and eating at 7 pm.

We have 2 varieties of parsley this year (some years three),  flat leaf and curly, both look so good.

The rest is just whatever appetizers and side dishes you want.  I know we have black olives, maybe artichokes  (go together).   We're having spinach for a vegetable. 

And dessert maybe ice cream or I love ❤️  Little Debbie Swiss Rolls.

And I guarantee  leftovers for Sunday.   Cook once, eat twice !    

Bon Appétit.      :D

Edited by mjp28

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Got me an individual sized anchovy pizza from Poppy's in Estes Park last night and eating the 2nd half tonight. Love anchovy pizza and I don't have to worry about someone stealing my leftovers.🥰

Yes not too many anchovy pizza thieves running around there I imagine. 

But the important thing did you enjoy your leftover pizza, always nice to open up the frig and find something good to eat.  :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

so, the garden is producing a LOT of tomatoes. Finally got a good bit of rain. I made this dish a few days ago -

for those who love good tomatoes:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/tomato-dumplings/

✔️     Looks like a good recipe from Taste of Home.  My wife used to read their magazine. 

Well its about time for a easy and delicious  GAMEDAY  meal how about a TACO CASSEROLE  oh yes.  You should like it !

Here is  great GAMEDAY or any night meal  TACO CASSEROLE  mmm-mmm.   An easy to do recipe and 30-35 minute cook time.  AND don't forget to check  ✔️ out the kitchen tips and information below. 

thumbnail?appid=YahooMailAndroidMobile&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

SERVES  6    COOK TIME  35  MINUTES 

Taco Casserole is a simple, Mexican-inspired, ground beef recipe that everyone in your GAMEDAY gang or family will eat right up. It's got all the tasty taco fillings you and your family love. But best of all, you can make our Taco Casserole in advance, and heat it up when you're ready to eat!

This easy casserole recipes has a special place in the hearts of the Test Kitchen. Why? Because this Taco Casserole is a meal we’ve all sat down to and enjoyed together. When you’re looking to make a meal that will really bring family together, this dinner casserole should be your go-to.  The juicy ground beef is perfectly complimented by the gooey cheese and zesty taco seasoning! And we think the crushed tortilla chips add the perfect crunch. Don’t wait to make this easy casserole recipe; it’s a Tex-Mex favorite the whole family will love!

✔️     What You'll Need

• 1 pound ground beef (see Note)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 (1.25-ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix
  • 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
  • 4 cups crushed tortilla chips
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Colby Jack cheese
  •  

✔️     What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 2-1/2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
  2. In a large skillet over high heat, cook beef and onion 5 to 6 minutes, or until no pink remains; drain off excess fat. Add garlic powder, taco seasoning mix, and tomato sauce to beef; mix and set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine sour cream and cottage cheese; set aside.
  4. Place half the crushed chips in the bottom of the casserole dish. Add enough meat mixture to cover the chips, then cover the meat with half the sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with half the cheese; repeat layers.
  5. Bake, uncovered, 30 to 35 minutes, or until casserole is heated through.

✔️      Our Kitchen Tips !

• Want to make this casserole a bit lighter? Substitute the ground beef with ground turkey and use low-fat sour cream and cheese.
  • For more taco options, check out our recipes for Bean 'n' Veggie Soft Tacos, our Sassy Chicken Street Tacos, or our Simple Fish Tacos!

• We've got even more tacos for dessert! Make our Mini Fruit Tacos, or our Ice Cream Tacos as a treat everyone will love. 

• This Taco Casserole is just one of the easy and tasty recipes you'll find in our collection of Easy Mexican Casseroles!

• Why make tacos in a cassrole dish? Making tacos for dinner is always fun and delicious; but it can create a ton of mess and dishes to clean up afterwards! That takes the fun out of any meal, if you ask us. But making this casserole gives you all the delicious flavors and fun of tacos without all the mess. That's something we can always get behind! 

If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!

Up Next:

Taco-Casserole_Category-CategoryPageDefault_ID-2029053.jpg

• Thanks 1

I might substitute some other cheese than Colby Jack though. I make something similar but use Pace mild picante sauce instead of the tomato sauce. Gives a few extra veggies other than the ones added. I'll try that with the cottage cheese which I don't add now. I like to add a little diced fresh tomato too. Maybe half to 2/3 a cup or so. And I just break up the chips into small pieces rather than crush them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I might substitute some other cheese than Colby Jack though. I make something similar but use Pace mild picante sauce instead of the tomato sauce. Gives a few extra veggies other than the ones added. I'll try that with the cottage cheese which I don't add now. I like to add a little diced fresh tomato too. Maybe half to 2/3 a cup or so. And I just break up the chips into small pieces rather than crush them.

To me, that is the beauty of cooking.  Unlike baking, which is more about the chemistry involved, meaning you can't monkey around with the formula if you want the cake or whatever to come out right, you can fool around with a recipe to add more or less, or even other items you like.  Unless you just run totally afoul of the recipe, you have your own version.

As an example, a classic beef stroganoff calls for mushrooms, but if you don't like mushrooms, don't put them in.  If you really like them, add more.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Sounds good. 

.....* We often tweak recipes for a number of reasons primarily what do we have on hand or things we prefer or would like to try......without changing the recipe too much or like Peen said you end up with something else....for better or worse.   Especially baking my wife is more strict on quantities and ingredients there.

ALSO what's in season especially tomatoes 🍅  ummm-ummm.    And my wife has coloresteral issues that run in her family even though she and her mother eat a good diet and are in good shape  so she watches the cheeses and occasionally substitsubstitutes there..  Same with using cottage cheese instead of others.

Me I can eat anything that won't eat me first    -but-    I'm eating better and healthier since 2015 than ever.when I lost 63 pounds and decided to keep most it off.  diet and exercise  is the magic bullet.

So bon appetit everyone and eat well.

Edited by mjp28
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

As an example, a classic beef stroganoff calls for mushrooms, but if you don't like mushrooms, don't put them in.  If you really like them, add more.

I like to cut up a ton of mushrooms and saute them in butter before pouring them over boneless baked chicken breasts. Yummmmmmyyyy!  But that's only if I don't bake them in a really good blackberry jam & rum sauce I make.😋

• Like 1

• mjp28 changed the title to ● Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

Tuesday evening  7/26 -   Had leftover homemade corn bread,  guacamole from the Barefoot Contessa Ina Garten great,  -and- my wife's recipe for chili with ground beef and Sweet Italian sausage with peppers and onions, garlic.......OMG fantastic,  I loved it !

For dessert Little Debbie 's Swiss Rolls.  Watching the Guardians  up 8-2  bottom  8. ....... I'm stuffed.  

Loved it. ❤️ 

12 hours ago, syd said:

having some homemade blueberry  cobbler ala mode taste  awesome on this hot summer day

A nice quickie for that is mix up a box of yellow or white cake mix with about 1 1/2 cups melted butter.  Press it out over your berries with some added brown or unrefined sugar...bake 45 min(give or take) at 350....bing bang boom....just scoop on the Blue Bell

• Upvote 1

You don't always need a fancy recipe meal for a good meal.

■   Wednesday July 27,  late evening meal.   And it's so nice to have a wife that's a scratch cook and likes  to change things up.   -And- make an easy evening supper. 

We generally get steak, fish and chicken at our local Giant Eagle, great meat store.  BUT my wife was in Aldi's NEVER  bought chicken there before planning on my wife's chicken salad dish.   Well she got the chicken there, when home my wife thought it was maybe OK at best.  She prepared it as usual baking dish, EVOO, etc. and changed the menu from Chicken Salad  to a Chicken Margherita  dish.

For  the salad a Cucumber Salad with Red Onions.  Using the longer English style cucumber and a hotter red onion instead of white or vadallia onion.  She mixed mayonnaise, sour cream, white vinegar, black pepper and (new) a few tbsp of a ranch dressing.     *Cool in frig.      I put some s&p on at the table. OMG, GOOD !  I loved it and she made a bowl half in frig to marinate for tomorrow. 

On the chicken it wasn't great so she made the Chicken Margherita dish pasta, tomatos, a Parmesan sauce,  a sweet fresh garden basil.   (i don't have any other details) .  It was OK but better with better chicken  she was right there.

Dessert was Banana Split Ice Cream from Giant Eagle delicious !   I had seconds. 

A good easy Wednesday late evening meal on the fly and delicious  (except for the bird).

* edit add.      * Cool salad in frig, make extra for day 2 marinate overnight in frig.

I'll come up with a  GAMEDAY MEAL later on, not tonight.   :)

Edited by mjp28

• 2 weeks later...

49E68F3F-5957-4FCE-8545-19C8CC310A15.thumb.jpeg.473eb17891a61bca121363445cb81536.jpegBeen awhile since I’ve posted up some of my food here. Been craving some Mexican food and finally had some time to cook a little Fajitas with chipotle chicken, chile lime marinated skirt steak , onions and hatch chilies. Double cheese enchilada topped with keto charro beans and a little Salvadoran crema and lime zest. Beans are made with black soy and loaded with bacon , chorizo , onions and hatch chiles. Enchilada is a 100% cheddar shell filled with shredded quesadilla cheese and mild green chiles. 

49E68F3F-5957-4FCE-8545-19C8CC310A15.jpeg

• Like 2

Are you ready.....

It's time for a good  GAMEDAY  recipe !   Our favorite professional, college  -and-  high school football games will be kicking off soon.  And then all of the weekend parties, tailgating and get-togethers  plus even a family night pizza.   How about a hot out of the oven  BEEFY GARLIC PIZZA,  mmm-mmm and quicker and more economical than delivery. 

Remember too to  check  ✔️  out  the kitchen tips below !

SERVINGS  8     SERVING SIZE  1 SLICE     COOKING TIME  only  30 MINUTES 

Today we're throwing a pizza party!  Why?  Because we wanted to make something new with that package of ground beef in the fridge. A BEEFY GARLIC PIZZA  is calling your name and we bet it'll be your new favorite go-to dinner recipe, for pizza party occasions or just because. After all, who doesn't love a hearty, cheesy, beefy slice of pizza?

✔️     What You'll Need

• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 6 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 pound store-bought pizza dough (see Tips)
  • 1 (6-ounce) package sliced provolone cheese, cut into 1/2-inch strips

✔️     What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 12- to 14-inch pizza pan with cooking spray.
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil until hot; saute garlic 4 to 5 minutes or until slightly golden.
  3. Add ground beef and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until completely browned, stirring frequently. Drain off excess liquid; stir in tomatoes, salt, and pepper.
  4. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. With a rolling pin, roll dough out to a 12- to 14-inch circle. Place on pizza pan. Using a fork, prick dough 15 to 20 times. Spoon beef mixture evenly over pizza dough and top with cheese.
  5. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until crust is crisp and brown. Cut and serve immediately.

✔️     KITCHEN TIPS 

Beefy-Garlic-Pizza_Large400_ID-3508556.jpg

• Thanks 1

Here's another recipe just right for the next  BROWNS  GAMEDAY  MEAL !   Your gang will like it......

CREAMY HERB FRIES  with a surprise or two and yes they are delicious.  The suprise is in the recipe below.

And as usual  be sure to check  ✔️  out the Notes below. 

SERVES  4  ◆  COOKING TIME  20 MINUTES 

One bite of these Creamy Herb Fries and you won't even realize that there is NO SALT !   Plus, they're BAKED not fried, so you WON'T feel guilty snacking on this delicious treat.

✔️     What You'll Need

• 6 Idaho potatoes, washed and peeled
  • 1 cup fat free sour cream <---- fat free unless you want the other sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt substitute <-----  also not bad !
  • 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper

✔️     What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

2. Wash the potatoes and cut into 1/4" rectangles the length of the potato. Dry thoroughly with paper towels.

3. Blend the olive oil, salt substitute and pepper in a bowl. Add potatoes to coat.

4. Spread potatoes in one layer on a nonstick baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes. Turn potatoes over half way through the cooking with nonmetallic tongs or spatula.

5. Mix the sour cream in a bowl with the rosemary and thyme for the dipping sauce. Serve while fries are still warm. 

✔️     Notes

Plus, if you loved these homemade French fries, be sure to check out our recipe for Homemade Onion Rings!

Creamy-Herb-Fries_ArticleImage-CategoryPage_ID-1050150.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 8/7/2022 at 7:44 PM, jcam222 said:

49E68F3F-5957-4FCE-8545-19C8CC310A15.thumb.jpeg.473eb17891a61bca121363445cb81536.jpegBeen awhile since I’ve posted up some of my food here. Been craving some Mexican food and finally had some time to cook a little Fajitas with chipotle chicken, chile lime marinated skirt steak , onions and hatch chilies. Double cheese enchilada topped with keto charro beans and a little Salvadoran crema and lime zest. Beans are made with black soy and loaded with bacon , chorizo , onions and hatch chiles. Enchilada is a 100% cheddar shell filled with shredded quesadilla cheese and mild green chiles. 

49E68F3F-5957-4FCE-8545-19C8CC310A15.jpeg

Around 0200 the gas bombs would drive the old lady out of the room....

• Haha 1

My wife has been taking care of our friends garden while they are on an Alaskan cruise. Zuchinni are going crazy so we have tons. This is one of our favorite ways to make prepare. Zuchinni boats filled with Italian sausage and Parmesan , topped with provolone and fontina cheese in a nice chunky puttanesca style sauce. Finished off with some fresh parsley and basil. 705614EA-9155-4617-A979-5C8146C2F72F.thumb.jpeg.8345f21cbf62a6a15f48a34d8a616b00.jpegB6B851FF-725D-441B-A930-6814561E8268.thumb.jpeg.1fa879582969b2d3923aae04e49cdc1a.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Yesterday I took my daughter out to lunch at a Peruvian restaurant and ordered a huge seafood special which we shared since I had racquetball going about 3 hours later. Under all the calimari, shrimp, clams, whitefish, etc was a bunch of fried yuca. I told the waitress, who was obviously South American, in Spanish how much I loved the yuca. Immediately she switched from her very excellent English to her native Spanish to tell me it was fried to perfection (which it was). So I asked her, "De donde viene usted?" and off we went when she replied, "Venezuela!" Ended up with a long conversation about her being from Canaima and me and my spouse living in Valencia well over 50 years ago, etc. 

So I want to thank DieHard for posting that video about Petare in Caracas near where I lived for a few months which led me to many more videos about Venezuela today which were all in Venezuelan Spanish. It brought back all my ability to understand conversation Venezuelan that had me totally prepared to have this very long and very pleasant conversation with mi hermana de Canaima near Angel falls. And a really great lunch that was more Venezuelan than Peruvian. 🎶Those were the days my friend we thought they'd never end.🎶

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, jcam222 said:

My wife has been taking care of our friends garden while they are on an Alaskan cruise. Zuchinni are going crazy so we have tons. This is one of our favorite ways to make prepare. Zuchinni boats filled with Italian sausage and Parmesan , topped with provolone and fontina cheese in a nice chunky puttanesca style sauce. Finished off with some fresh parsley and basil. 705614EA-9155-4617-A979-5C8146C2F72F.thumb.jpeg.8345f21cbf62a6a15f48a34d8a616b00.jpegB6B851FF-725D-441B-A930-6814561E8268.thumb.jpeg.1fa879582969b2d3923aae04e49cdc1a.jpeg

Oh yes the   zucchini boats   a great way to use up the zucchini when they start coming out big time.

And the  fresh herbs   right out of our herb garden,  ummm-mmm delicious  !

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Oh yes the   zucchini boats   a great way to use up the zucchini when they start coming out big time.

And the  fresh herbs   right out of our herb garden,  ummm-mmm delicious  !

Oh my wife also likes your zuchinni boats too.  A big 👍 👍 

this year, I grew Armenian cucumbers. They are EXCELLENT ! They aren't actually a cucumber - they are in the melon family. They are terrific to add to a salad, eat by itself, with dip. They get big - and are still crisp and the taste is terrific.

That is for anyone who wants salad added to the great meat recipes on this thread....

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

this year, I grew Armenian cucumbers. They are EXCELLENT ! They aren't actually a cucumber - they are in the melon family. They are terrific to add to a salad, eat by itself, with dip. They get big - and are still crisp and the taste is terrific.

That is for anyone who wants salad added to the great meat recipes on this thread....

I believe my wife   (the better cook and grocery shopper in our house)    has bought those and included them in our salads.  Are they shorter, smaller diameter but still crunchy.(the ones we had) than the usual very long varieties.   I know we've tried the English cucumbers  I think we might have tried those.

I'll have to ask her later.

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Should we get those before Putin invades to bring them back into the USSR? Or just grow 'em? 

https://growinginthegarden.com/growing-armenian-cucumbers-in-the-garden/

BTW the area of my yard where I used to get the best Bluebonnet flowers was taken over by St. Augustin grass. But because of the drought all that is dead again. Fortunately I saved the last batch of Bluebonnet seeds from that spot and I plan to plant them again this fall.

Oh God I've got to watch posting in the middle of the night.  OMG the last cucumbers she got were from CANADA.

She showed me the label, greenhouse grown a product of Canada distributed by a company in Ontario, Canada.  The real tip was the entire label was translated into French also.  :lol:

They were called Mini Crunchers Cucumbers.   My wife got a kick out of the whole thing......and she reads and sometimes saves labels.   Geeezzz.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Oh God I've got to watch posting in the middle of the night.  OMG the last cucumbers she got were from CANADA.

She showed me the label, greenhouse grown a product of Canada distributed by a company in Ontario, Canada.  The real tip was the entire label was translated into French also.  :lol:

They were called Mini Crunchers Cucumbers.   My wife got a kick out of the whole thing......and she reads and sometimes saves labels.   Geeezzz.

no, the Armenian cukes are long. Amazing - they get big, and are still great in texture. I'm amazed at how good they are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_cucumber

Here's something different for your   GAMEDAY  this summer/ fall......

Want something for your    GAMEDAY   or maybe an easy supper without firing up the oven ?  How about some   SLOW COOKER BAKED ZITI    you'll love it and so easy.

An easy main dish to go along with your favorite easy grill food before, during or after the big game.  A. delicious  meal,  be creative !  Check ✔️ it out.

SERVES  6   COOK TIME  4 HOUR 10 MINUTES  

This easy Slow Cooker Baked Ziti is a perfect meal for those busy weeknights during the summer. Why the summer, you ask? Well, this delicious slow cooker recipe gives you fantastic Italian flavors, without you having to turn on your oven!

With slow cooker pasta bakes like this, you get to enjoy a delicious, hearty meal with very little work. It might sound a little…cheesy…but it just doesn’t get better than that.

If you love a good slow cooker cheesy pasta bake, then our baked ziti that you can set up and leave is going to be your new go-to! Watch the video right below and then check out the written instructions and get ready for a tasty dinner!

✔️     What You’ll Need

• 1 (16-ounce) package ziti, uncooked
  • 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 (24-ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
  • Chopped fresh parsley for sprinkling

✔️     Slow Cooker Baked Ziti Directions:

1. Coat a 5-quart or larger slow cooker with cooking spray. Rinse uncooked pasta, drain, and set aside.
  2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, onion, and garlic 6 to 8 minutes or until browned; drain and set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, eggs, 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and oregano; mix well.
  4. In the slow cooker, layer 2 cups sauce on the bottom, top with half the sausage mixture, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, half the ziti, and half the ricotta mixture. Repeat layers one more time. Top with remaining sauce and remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese on top.
  5. Cover and cook on low 4 to 5 hours, or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

Slow-Cooker-Baked-Ziti_ArticleImage-CategoryPage_ID-2691734.jpg

• Upvote 1