THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Wow how cool is that? Nice.

I purchased my first beer there a can of Old Dutch when I was 16 years old. Henry looked at me and said are you 18 Simmie? In Carrollton  most people's nickname  was the first few letters of  their last name with an ie at the end . I said sure. He kind of squinted but gave me the beer anyway. Russ and Henry Cole we're both a few years older than my pop and my pop worked there when he was a kid, sold popcorn hot front of the place. Coley would come out and say put more salt on it Simmie if they don't get thirsty they won't drink beer.

There was a narrow chalkboard along the top of the bar painted with cross hatches 4 9 + tennings and a spot for the teams names the Indians and whoever the opponent might have been. There is a ticker tape machine in the bar and at the end of each inning Coley would stand on a bar stool and right in the score. This was well before I was born.

WSS

1 hour ago, boo fagley said:

Steamed clams right out of the shell with melted butter are the bomb. Fried clams too, but the whole clam and not the strips like Long John Silvers.

The other day we wanted something different to eat and my wife was at the deli department of our local Giant Eagle and they had fresh clam chowder it was amazing good....for Ohio not on the shore somewhere but way better than out of a can. Clams weren't rubbery or gritty and the stock was nice and thick. We were pleasantly surprised and will try it again. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I bet you can fit at least 5 lb of kielbasa on that thing

And afterwards dispose of it. :lol:

.......but I'll bet that ice cooler really keeps the beer cold, especially withthe lid on.

3 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Hard to find good chowder.

I was really pleasantly surprised only wish she bought a bigger container. :lol:  They have some good older ladies cooking and baking there.

After all this turkey stuff is gone in a few days it's steaks on the grill and later more chowder! We seem to do the same thing each year.....burgers the night before.....turkey x 3 or 4 days.....steak!  And we got some nice gift cards, Outback, Olive Garden among others.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Here's a good cracker topper. 

Take a block of Philly cream cheese and mix in a can of crab meat. Not that imitation crap either. Form the cheese and crabmeat into a small log shape on a plate and chill. Then smother it with some good  C.ocktail sauce. 

Try some of that on a Ritz.

Oh yes my wife likes those types of cream cheese  hors d'oevuvres at parties or just for us, we occasionally use the lower calorie cream cheese but the crab makes it! And a huge choice or Ritz or other  crackers are out there like savory veggie crackers (no kidding), triskets, townhouse crackers,  mini fillo shells,  whole wheat or other sturdy crackers for the heavier dips and spreads. 

Damn you're making me hungry.....can make a meal of those with several different dips or spreads. :P

1 minute ago, boo fagley said:

Good idea

Yeah not only football season but leading into the winter stay in more, holidays or just to liven things up abit. Plus everything doesn’t have to me mega calorie stuff you can mix in raw veggies and low cal variations if done CORRECTLY some are good.

You can gain a ton just eating appetizers and junk food.....but I need my pizza and Philly Steak sandwiches once in a while dammit!

Oh BTW since I got out of the hospital 9/1/17 I'm still on those blasted antibiotics for another month yet I can't eat some spicy foods, messes me up I had to switch from sausage on pizza to roasted red peppers, mushrooms, black olives, extra cheese......and it worked plus I really love it. Me a veggie pizza guy :lol::lol::lol:

9 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

You can never go wrong with burgers on the grill.

Costco premade burgers are awesome and dont shrink down to half their size when done. Its all about he bread so get some good big rolls like kaisers and a slice of cheese and onion and youre in business. Wash it down with a good micro brew. 

I'm a really good cook but the wife is a scratch gourmet cook -plus- I've given her my grill tips now she's great there too.....well we occasionally go with premade burgers but more often she buys a good ground sirloin or sometimes mixes in some veal or pork.....but careful on open flame to get the fat mix right and you don't want them too lean either, too dry!  Plus you can add in spices to your taste including pepper and SALT and no it does not dry out the meat.

Thank goodness for our big backyard grill always piped in and ready to go. ......and way less cleanup. ;)

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Oh yes my wife likes those types of cream cheese  hors d'oevuvres at parties or just for us, we occasionally use the lower calorie cream cheese but the crab makes it! And a huge choice or Ritz or other  crackers are out there like savory veggie crackers (no kidding), triskets, townhouse crackers,  mini fillo shells,  whole wheat or other sturdy crackers for the heavier dips and spreads. 

Damn you're making me hungry.....can make a meal of those with several different dips or spreads. :P

Breton makes some good crackers. Sesame, veggie etc. 

8 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Actually I kind of like more neutral tasting crackers that show off the flavor of whatever you're putting on them.

WSS

Yeah...Sociables with Black Diamond Extra Sharp Cheddar Spread is great. In fact, I'm gonna load up on some now for the end of Bucks vs ???

Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Actually I kind of like more neutral tasting crackers that show off the flavor of whatever you're putting on them.

WSS

Yes that's where the light fillo shells are nice, kind of crunchy and hold the filling nicely.

I love all this cheese and crackers chat but I also like pretzels to dip yellow mustard with and my old weakness  POTATO CHIPS! ANY favorites out there?

On 11/23/2017 at 10:08 AM, mjp28 said:

So what’s on the menu today? Oh let me guess :lol:

Well is anyone NOT having turkey today? Anyone working? (In 11 years of working in Mill maintenance I missed many holidays.)

I've said it once elsewhere, I will only eat turkey under great duress, and it has to be smothered under cranberry sauce. Thanksgiving was a terrific prime NY strip on the grill with baked potato, and sauteed mushrooms on the side. .  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

You might like the brand then. They are bigger in diameter than most crackers but very mild. I mean 12 grain and sesame don't exactly scream seasoning. I just tried the brand recently. Tiger Lilly egg salad on a Breton....good cracker...lol

On 11/22/2017 at 10:36 AM, Westside Steve said:

And it has occurred to me that if, in fact, one man sleeps while the other man drives, that it should be a relatively easy task to get some orange juice from Florida to Ohio in less than 40 hours.

True today, but back when the Big-O (which I'd completely forgotten was a thing) was rolling the Interstate system between Ohio and Florida was still under construction. Many large gaps through TN and GA complete with "speed traps".

18 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

True today, but back when the Big-O (which I'd completely forgotten was a thing) was rolling the Interstate system between Ohio and Florida was still under construction. Many large gaps through TN and GA complete with "speed traps".

Oh yeah and I remember the first time three of us went to spring break 1969, oh yeah we made it back Coral Gables to Boardman, Ohio in 23 1/2 hours! Staying in a condo just off the UM campus what a riot......

.......but that was three of driving in a new GTO with the posted interstate speed limit of 75 and I have no idea how we never got one ticket. That GTO speedometer went to 150 and we had it near or above 100 "often", and not hauling OJ. :o

On the menu today......

Deviled eggs gone, black olives gone, many goodies gone -BUT- turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy I'm in baby! Right when the Brownies kick off....speaking of turkeys. :lol: