THE BROWNS BOARD

Sounds, uh, great.

Westside Steve

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:06 AM, The Gipper said:

So...perhaps think of it this way:   The Haslam's are like the Rooney family.   The older generation didn't do so well with that team......for 40 years they sucked under Art Rooney....but then the younger generation...Dan Rooney...took over...and they became a dynasty. 

Not exactly. Art Rooney turned the reins over to Dan after the Steelers had won their first Super Bowl.

The seeds of the dynasty were already planted before Dan took over...the familiar names...Bradshaw, Greene, Lambert, Ham, Franco, Greenwood, Blount, Webster, Swann were on the roster.

Mike Webster was a rookie back up, and Lynn Swann was relegated to special teams.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, StinkHole said:

Not exactly. Art Rooney turned the reins over to Dan after the Steelers had won their first Super Bowl.

The seeds of the dynasty were already planted before Dan took over...the familiar names...Bradshaw, Greene, Lambert, Ham, Franco, Greenwood, Blount, Webster, Swann were on the roster.

Mike Webster was a rookie back up, and Lynn Swann was relegated to special teams.

I suspect Dan was heavily involved in bringing in those names....even if he hadn't "taken over" yet. .  I assume he was groomed to take over and had a long affiliation with the team before doing so.  I mean, Dan wasn't the prodigal son who had been lost in the wilderness for years, and all of a sudden comes back to town and says "Hi Dad....give me control of your team". 

38 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I suspect Dan was heavily involved in bringing in those names....even if he hadn't "taken over" yet. .  I assume he was groomed to take over and had a long affiliation with the team before doing so.  I mean, Dan wasn't the prodigal son who had been lost in the wilderness for years, and all of a sudden comes back to town and says "Hi Dad....give me control of your team". 

No argument with any of that, its just that  your statement can be easily be interpreted as Dan creating a dynasty AFTER he took over.

for 40 years they sucked under Art Rooney....but then the younger generation...Dan Rooney...took over...and they became a dynasty. 

2 minutes ago, StinkHole said:

No argument with any of that, its just that  your statement can be easily be interpreted as Dan creating a dynasty AFTER he took over.

for 40 years they sucked under Art Rooney....but then the younger generation...Dan Rooney...took over...and they became a dynasty. 

Well...it may still be accurate in a couple of senses.....I mean...what constituted "taking over"?  Dan may have de facto "taken over" a few years before it was official.

And, even by your own recollection of things.....Art was only in charge for one of those titles.   One  or two titles does not a dynasty make.  If Dan was in charger for the next 3, then, semantically....the Steelers did not become a dynasty  until after he took over. Fair to say?

8 hours ago, stillmotion said:

weak argument. we've lost 4 games by the number 12 combined. Herm Edwards said that, you know, one of the guys you said doesn't do "research" on the Browns or understand Sashi's brilliant equation of a process. I guess Sashi is too smart and more of a football guy than Herm is. If Hue was a better coach, we would've won at least one of those four games.

Only a weak coach would lose ALL of them

Hue Jackson is in way, way, over his head. Nice guy, but really he is a Division 1 AA caliber talent. The sooner Haslam pulls the lever of the Sloan Valve, the better.

On 11/9/2017 at 3:12 AM, stillmotion said:

weak argument. we've lost 4 games by the number 12 combined. Herm Edwards said that, you know, one of the guys you said doesn't do "research" on the Browns or understand Sashi's brilliant equation of a process. I guess Sashi is too smart and more of a football guy than Herm is. If Hue was a better coach, we would've won at least one of those four games.

Only a weak coach would lose ALL of them

So we're really close to breaking through? Yet you want to demote Sashi right? Please explain.

52 minutes ago, wargograw said:

So we're really close to breaking through? Yet you want to demote Sashi right? Please explain.

Breaking through? No we're close to being borderline as good as any of these other "football guys" teams have been. You know, 5-11, or 4-12. We're 0-8 though, which is much worse. I don't get how you guys have it in your head that it's a fact we'll be an amazing team and winning like crazy in a few years from now with our current F.O. making the draft picks and a 1-23 coach.

We don't. Now, I don't get how you guys have it in your head that it's a fact we'll be an amazing team and winning like crazy next year with "a football guy" making the draft picks and some bum coach off the street.

Works both ways.

9 hours ago, wargograw said:

We don't. Now, I don't get how you guys have it in your head that it's a fact we'll be an amazing team and winning like crazy next year with "a football guy" making the draft picks and some bum coach off the street.

Works both ways.

Would you hire a lawyer and a pitcher to take your wisdom teeth out, or would you pay a dentist?

I think the dentist would do better. 

7 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Would you hire a lawyer and a pitcher to take your wisdom teeth out, or would you pay a dentist?

I was actually thinking the same thing last night...

Cancer still kills people by the thousands upon thousands every year, despite scientists and doctors working to cure cancer for generations.

By wargo's logic, he'd replace the scientists and doctors with plumbers. IT DIDN'T WORK BEFORE WITH SCIENTISTS AND DOCTORS!

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I was actually thinking the same thing last night...

Cancer still kills people by the thousands upon thousands every year, despite scientists and doctors working to cure cancer for generations.

By wargo's logic, he'd replace the scientists and doctors with plumbers. IT DIDN'T WORK BEFORE WITH SCIENTISTS AND DOCTORS!

Well if you hire plumbers there is less trouble flushing the whole thing down the toilet if the current W/L ratio continues next year.;)

45 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well if you hire plumbers there is less trouble flushing the whole thing down the toilet if the current W/L ratio continues next year.;)

I did not sleep in a holiday inn express last night but I do remember the TV guru's saying that Darnold comes from a blue collar Plummer Family..Well it's either Tool Time or Darnold puts a plunger in it for a year..Enjoy your Trip..      

1. Sweet Jesus people... it's a friggin' LaCancera article...
  2. Everyone goes on and on about the import of the QB position. The Rams are proof of the position's import and  how bad QB play (2016) can hold back an otherwise very, very good team... one that was and is better than we currently are. When we solve QB, so will we turn... just not as dramatically.

15 hours ago, stillmotion said:

I might hire two managers to MANAGE my massive team of dentists and help determine the best route, yes. 

Did that go the way you thought it would?

1 hour ago, wargograw said:

I might hire two managers to MANAGE my massive team of dentists and help determine the best route, yes. 

Did that go the way you thought it would?

And if after two years of those "managers" hiring some dentists that performed some of the worst dental procedures in history, you would keep them, believing in the future they might hire better dentists?

2 minutes ago, wargograw said:

And that would be where the analogy breaks off from reality. Right back to the record with no look at the progress. Should have known this wouldn’t be a serious discussion. 

we've made a little progress, but still not hardly enough in the right direction. Hue is in over his head and we need an OC. Sashi needs a football guy to be in charge of him and Depo, you know, LIKE HE HAD IN JACKSONVILLE. Then we can start talking about progress and we might not lose more than any team has in history in a three year span.

4 hours ago, stillmotion said:

we've made a little progress, but still not hardly enough in the right direction. Hue is in over his head and we need an OC. Sashi needs a football guy to be in charge of him and Depo, you know, LIKE HE HAD IN JACKSONVILLE. Then we can start talking about progress and we might not lose more than any team has in history in a three year span.

What good is Sashi if he’s not the head guy? Literally his entire job description and skill set revolve around him being the head man. 

4 hours ago, wargograw said:

What good is Sashi if he’s not the head guy? Literally his entire job description and skill set revolve around him being the head man. 

So he IS the responsible guy in charge after all! And just when folks had almost convinced me that consensus meant no one is responsible.

23 hours ago, Tour2ma said:
  1. Sweet Jesus people... it's a friggin' LaCancera article...
  2. Everyone goes on and on about the import of the QB position. The Rams are proof of the position's import and  how bad QB play (2016) can hold back an otherwise very, very good team... one that was and is better than we currently are. When we solve QB, so will we turn... just not as dramatically.

Well....to me it is a combination of bad QBing and bad coaching.

I personally think the coaching situation in LA is 90% of the reason for the Rams turnaround......and it has been 90% of the reasons for the Browns failures.

10 hours ago, wargograw said:

Not sure if this was your intent....but you statement is a perfectly valid reason for getting rid of him.

3 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

This weekend, everyone that lives within 50 miles east of the stadium is being given free nose plugs and airfreshener compliments of the haslams

Do we just have to go to our nearest Pilot/Flying J to collect them?

There is one in Richfield, one in Seville, one in Burbank, one in Avon, one in Austintown....and a couple more over by Youngstown.

Though...while for now the Haslam's will retain day to day control of the company....how long can that really last give that majority control of the company has been sold to Warren Buffett and Berkshire Hathaway.

16 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Do we just have to go to our nearest Pilot/Flying J to collect them?

There is one in Richfield, one in Seville, one in Burbank, one in Avon, one in Austintown....and a couple more over by Youngstown.

Though...while for now the Haslam's will retain day to day control of the company....how long can that really last give that majority control of the company has been sold to Warren Buffett and Berkshire Hathaway.

I thought the local EPA was gonna handle distribution. 

I bet Buffett would ask a Bernie, Hanford and Clay to put this team back together. This analytics has turned into numerology only. Jimmy and Dee should be tried for practicing witchcraft and burned at the mother effing stake!

Just my opinion tho

9 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I thought the local EPA was gonna handle distribution. 

I bet Buffett would ask a Bernie, Hanford and Clay to put this team back together. This analytics has turned into numerology only. Jimmy and Dee should be tried for practicing witchcraft and burned at the mother effing stake!

Just my opinion tho

Someone in the organization has Angelique Collins on Speed dial....

11 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So he IS the responsible guy in charge after all! And just when folks had almost convinced me that consensus meant no one is responsible.

He is the head man whose job it is to drive consensus. Without being the head man, he can't do that. So there's no point in demoting him.

Archived