THE BROWNS BOARD

Sashi Press Conference

darren15

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm down with giving these guys another year or two. We always pull the plug at this time. It's time to see it through, for better or worse. 

I like our roster, it's young and talented. They need to gel together and this turmoil that losing brings is going to be the catalyst that solidifies this team in the future. We are going the right way. Now let's play. 

40 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Big smile....he seems happy the way the season is going

He probably is because he wants that #1 pick. I agree that next year we'll see what Sashi Brown is made of. Either he's going to hit on all of these picks and make us a decent team, or f#$% them all up and go down as one of the worst Front Office experiements in NFL history. Possibly the WORST. it's all on him and depo, but man does he seem confident. This could be a bad thing or a horrible thing. 

17 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I'm down with giving these guys another year or two. We always pull the plug at this time. It's time to see it through, for better or worse. 

I like our roster, it's young and talented. They need to gel together and this turmoil that losing brings is going to be the catalyst that solidifies this team in the future. We are going the right way. Now let's play. 

one big issue I had with sashi's press conference was this quote: ""My hat's off to Wentz and Watson; a lot of teams also passed on Russell Wilson.''

Not identifying someone like wilson or dak prescott in the third round when you pick there is totally different than trading the wentz pick.  It's different because NOBODY EXPECTS you to find the needle in a haystack pick....thats why gms dont get fired over missing out on those guys.  Because everyone missed.  

But everyone knew there were two guys in that draft at qb going very very high(goff and wentz, and at the time the pick was traded goff was in the lead for 1) and so if you are at 2 you know you have a clear and direct yes/no vote on Wentz.  You know if you trade the pick thats what someone else is going to do.  So in essence you are trading Wentz(or Goff if the order had flipped in terms of Los Angeles' preference before the draft).  Thats the difference.  That 2 slot was the pick where if you werent going to take him someone else was......

A statement like that is Sashi trying to deflect blame.  Nobody is pissed at sashi for not taking Prescott.  Nobody would be pissed at Sashi for not taking Wilson if he were GM then.  We are pissed at Sashi for not taking a guy at 2 when there was tons of talk about him going at 2 and he essentially directly traded that player at 2 because everyone knew the eagles went up their to get a qb(which likely was going to be wentz because Goff was still the rams #1 choice at the time)

Meanwhile plans for a sashi statue in philly are already being sacastically discussed....

1 minute ago, Tacosman said:

one big issue I had with sashi's press conference was this quote: ""My hat's off to Wentz and Watson; a lot of teams also passed on Russell Wilson.''

Not identifying someone like wilson or dak prescott in the third round when you pick there is totally different than trading the wentz pick.  It's different because NOBODY EXPECTS you to find the needle in a haystack pick....thats why gms dont get fired over missing out on those guys.  Because everyone missed.  

But everyone knew there were two guys in that draft at qb going very very high(goff and wentz, and at the time the pick was traded goff was in the lead for 1) and so if you are at 2 you know you have a clear and direct yes/no vote on Wentz.  You know if you trade the pick thats what someone else is going to do.  So in essence you are trading Wentz(or Goff if the order had flipped in terms of Los Angeles' preference before the draft).  Thats the difference.  That 2 slot was the pick where if you werent going to take him someone else was......

A statement like that is Sashi trying to deflect blame.  Nobody is pissed at sashi for not taking Prescott.  Nobody would be pissed at Sashi for not taking Wilson if he were GM then.  We are pissed at Sashi for not taking a guy at 2 when there was tons of talk about him going at 2 and he essentially directly traded that player at 2 because everyone knew the eagles went up their to get a qb(which likely was going to be wentz because Goff was still the rams #1 choice at the time)

Meanwhile plans for a sashi statue in philly are already being sacastically discussed....

As great as Wentz has played, I'm even ok with passing on him because mistakes/busts can happen at the top of the draft and Wentz did have some definite question marks about him, level of competition in college being a major concern.  Turns out, it looks like he's just really good and not only did the Browns miss out, but basically every D1 school in the country missed out.

To me...the bigger mistake is Watson.  You had two first round picks.  You drafted the consensus best player in the draft at #1 with Garrett...nicely done.   My mother in law who doesn't watch football could've picked Garrett.   Now..you're sitting at #12....the team still needs a QB, there's no question about it and you have Watson dropping right to you.  A guy who started in the national championship game two years in a row and put up big numbers against a top college defense in Alabama both years, including a sweet game winning drive last year.   When you need a QB, how in the hell you don't draft Watson is unforgivable.  Trading down at that point is just being too cute and thinking you're smarter than you really are.  Especially when you then draft a clone of Watson in the 2nd round who doesn't have the stats or credentials that the guy you could've picked at 12 has.    What have we learned since....Kizer is inaccurate...well no shit..he was inaccurate at Notre Dame too.  He turns the ball over too much....well again..no shit..he turned the ball over there too.   Meanwhile, before the injury...Watson turned that team around and was leading that offense which was the talk on him coming out of Clemson...the dude is a leader and a culture changer.   And if any organization needs a culture change...its our Cleveland Browns.    That's the move that is unforgivable and should mean that changes have to happen.

2 minutes ago, Mark O said:

As great as Wentz has played, I'm even ok with passing on him because mistakes/busts can happen at the top of the draft and Wentz did have some definite question marks about him, level of competition in college being a major concern.  Turns out, it looks like he's just really good and not only did the Browns miss out, but basically every D1 school in the country missed out.

yes but that was 4-5 years or so prior.  Alabama and Ohio State 'missing out' on Wentz is similar to nfl teams 'missing out' on Prescott.  It's ok because everyone missed out.

And honestly short of a player like Peyton manning or pre-injury andrew luck, there are question marks about pretty much every high first round qb.  I'm not saying every single team would have taken Wentz at #2 who needed a qb...thats a call you have to make.  But since it is a DIRECT yes/no on a very specific player at that position in the draft(which is rare), you have to live with and suffer the consequences if you take him and he's a bust.  Likewise, you have to live with the consequences with not taking him if he's not a bust....and sashi will likely be facing those shortly.  

Don't disagree about what you wrote about watson.  one difference in watson is that there was some disagreement on where he would actually end up going.  Some thought no team would actually pull the trigger until a good bit later.  Everyone knew wentz was going very very high even before the eagles made the trade(the question was just whether it was going to be through a trade up or not)

1 minute ago, Tacosman said:

Don't disagree about what you wrote about watson.  one difference in watson is that there was some disagreement on where he would actually end up going.  Some thought no team would actually pull the trigger until a good bit later.  Everyone knew wentz was going very very high even before the eagles made the trade(the question was just whether it was going to be through a trade up or not)

I just think there were enough question marks about Wentz, mainly the level of competition he had faced in college to pass on him, especially given the shitload of picks that the Browns acquired for passing on him.   But when you fast forward one year later, you have a QB sitting there at 12 who just won the national championship and lost in the finals the year before, you need to take him at that point.  You've already gotten the all-world stud in Garrett at 1 so now you're free to take the QB that the team has needed for a hundred years.   Especially seeing how Wentz turned out year one....you would think the Browns couldn't possibly pass up on another top quarterback the next year especially when one fell to them at 12.  

2 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Great. Another bad draft.  And another 0-2 win season.

get this Idiot out of here now.

He is only going to make things worse if he’s allowed another draft

20 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Dors anyonr think watson potentially tanked some of his combine oerformance? At the combine his arm would gave struggled to keep up with hoyers. 

stick to building our defense:o..Watson has never tanked at anything his life..As for Sashi..I don't care to read it,I don't care to watch it..been living it since we closed the doors..Same old song and Dance..Sash, Britt never gets on the plane to London & your coach did the only right thing..Benched his mouthy arr$$ not you..want a culture change for youth? Cut Britt & eat more dough 

9 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Now this I have to hear. Somebody post the presser por favor.

I'm sure you heard it Ag. Sashi: first mate on the Titanic, Captain we hit an iceberg. Captain don't worry about that mistake son, we'll let you learn to steer better.

12 hours ago, BaconHound said:

He is a piece of schit.

"Kenny is off to a slow start" ....lololololololol

I watched the presser.  Sashi did a good job with the questions.  He didn't throw Britt, or any player, coach, owner(s), or FO personnel under the bus.  That's how a 'professional' handles it.  He explained that they hoped for more out of the wr's and that they're working hard.  Again, that's how a professional handles those questions.  (like him or not)

14 hours ago, Mark O said:

To me...the bigger mistake is Watson.  You had two first round picks.  You drafted the consensus best player in the draft at #1 with Garrett...nicely done.   My mother in law who doesn't watch football could've picked Garrett.   Now..you're sitting at #12....the team still needs a QB, there's no question about it and you have Watson dropping right to you.  A guy who started in the national championship game two years in a row and put up big numbers against a top college defense in Alabama both years, including a sweet game winning drive last year.   When you need a QB, how in the hell you don't draft Watson is unforgivable.  Trading down at that point is just being too cute and thinking you're smarter than you really are.  Especially when you then draft a clone of Watson in the 2nd round who doesn't have the stats or credentials that the guy you could've picked at 12 has.    What have we learned since....Kizer is inaccurate...well no Sheet..he was inaccurate at Notre Dame too.  He turns the ball over too much....well again..no Sheet..he turned the ball over there too.   Meanwhile, before the injury...Watson turned that team around and was leading that offense which was the talk on him coming out of Clemson...the dude is a leader and a culture changer.   And if any organization needs a culture change...its our Cleveland Browns.    That's the move that is unforgivable and should mean that changes have to happen.

Highlighted above....this is absolutely what it is.  Sashi just wants to make deals. He wants to play Monopoly.  He wants to acquire assets.  But, he forgets that he has to actually use those assets to better the team. He completely ignores what talent is actually on the board to be picked.

3 hours ago, Orion said:

I watched the presser.  Sashi did a good job with the questions.  He didn't throw Britt, or any player, coach, owner(s), or FO personnel under the bus.  That's how a 'professional' handles it.  He explained that they hoped for more out of the wr's and that they're working hard.  Again, that's how a professional handles those questions.  (like him or not)

Of course, he must soft pedal things.    And the fact is....the person who should come under the most scrutiny is HIM.   So, certainly he is not going to criticize himself, other than to (again, soft pedal) try to answer why that deal was botched.

On November 7, 2017 at 7:34 AM, Orion said:

That's how a professional con-man works.  If anyone here thinks Louis or Higgins getting their feelings hurt will drastically affect the Browns playoff chances next year, stop watching you aren't getting it.  These are professional athletes not college kids and if they can't handle criticism of poor play than why would you want them on your team..  If Sashi said "Kenny Britt hasn't produced" and Kenny can't handle it, maybe the NFL isn't for him.  Saying, "sometimes playing hard isn't enough, you also need talent and in areas we lack talent" is honest and if honesty hurts your feelings go play for another team.  Never thought the fan base would become such pu$$ies.

10 hours ago, BaconHound said:

That's how a professional con-man works.  If anyone here thinks Louis or Higgins getting their feelings hurt will drastically affect the Browns playoff chances next year, stop watching you aren't getting it.  These are professional athletes not college kids

That's just not how a professional does it.  You don't throw anyone under the bus on tv.  And ya don't throw a subordinate under a bus in front of his peers in the workplace either.

Archived