THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini, Belichick disciples alienate players

Gips

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ApZr...o&type=lgns

Mangini, Belichick disciples alienate players

By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports May 22, 12:27 pm EDT

Joshua Cribbs(notes) is a popular man in the Cleveland Browns’ locker room, an undrafted free agent from nearby Kent State who developed into a Pro Bowl kick returner. He is also the team’s unofficial social coordinator, which is of no small importance in a city where success has been scarce in recent years.

“We all love Cribbs,” one Browns veteran said Thursday of the speedy fifth-year receiver, who might also have a future as a defensive back. “He’s the guy who always throws the Halloween parties and the Christmas bashes, so yeah, he’s very popular.”

Photo Mangini was hired to replace Romeo Crennel.

(George Shamus/Getty)

In light of recent developments, that would make Browns coach Eric Mangini the Grinch – and the man who hired him, owner Randy Lerner, Ebeneezer Scrooge.

Cribbs and his bosses are currently locked in what seems on the surface to be a typical NFL contract dispute between a player who has outperformed his long-term deal and a team that is in no hurry to provide an upgrade. In reality, this is a credibility dispute between a dependable, accountable athlete and an abrasive coach consumed with flexing his newly acquired power.

It’s the latest testament to Mangini’s apparent lack of tact and people skills, personality traits he honed under his estranged mentor, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick. Like two other Belichick disciples, new Kansas City Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli and neophyte Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, Mangini has marked his arrival at a new organization this offseason by alienating established leaders while projecting a self-assuredness that borders on arrogance.

With three Super Bowl titles as a head coach and a prior record of success as a brainy defensive coordinator, Belichick, a future Hall of Famer, can get away with his power trip. Whether Mangini, Pioli and McDaniels are able to pull it off will depend upon how many football games their respective teams win, something that often depends upon the men in uniform buying into the program.

In the meantime, in Cleveland, Kansas City and Denver, the new guys in charge seem to be consumed with winning mind games, a strategy I’m not so sure will serve them well over the long haul.

In Denver, McDaniels’ sloppy handling of his interactions with Jay Cutler(notes) after an unsuccessful attempt to trade him at the start of free agency led to the loss of a franchise quarterback, largely because the 33-year-old coach was obsessed with demonstrating his unquestioned authority.

In K.C., Pioli’s arrival as the all-powerful general manager after years as Belichick’s right-hand personnel man was soon followed by a less-publicized incident involving a star player. According to Kansas City Star columnist Jason Whitlock, perennial Pro Bowl guard and locker-room leader Brian Waters(notes) asked to be traded or released after becoming offended by the arrogant attitudes of Pioli and his newly hired coach, Todd Haley.

Waters, a source told Whitlock, flew to Kansas City in February specifically to meet with the new GM and coach in an effort to become familiar with their leadership plans. The source said Pioli told Waters he had no interest in meeting and that Haley began a hallway conversation with the player by proclaiming that 22 guys off the street could win two games, as the Chiefs had in ’08.

Mangini, fresh off a 1-4 finish with the Jets that got him fired after three seasons – he had a 23-26 overall record (including a playoff loss) in New York – arrived in Cleveland with a similar swagger. One of his first moves was to orchestrate the firing of director of pro personnel T.J. McCreight, the highest-ranking personnel man remaining after Lerner’s dismissal of general manager Phil Savage, and one of the people who’d interviewed to replace Savage. (Mangini, hired while the GM job was still open, successfully lobbied Lerner to choose Ravens personnel executive George Kokinis.)

McCreight, a source said, was called into the office of team president Mike Keenan, who pulled out cell-phone records showing that McCreight had engaged in conversations with reporters – an act frowned upon by the paranoid Mangini. McCreight explained that speaking with the media was among the duties with which he’d been entrusted by Savage, but he was nonetheless terminated; he has since been hired as the Cardinals’ director of pro personnel.

A team source said Mangini, upon his arrival in Cleveland, was brusque when dealing with other Browns employees and spent most of his time in his office with the door closed. Early on Mangini, according to multiple reports, alienated the team’s top performer from 2008, Pro Bowl defensive tackle Shaun Rogers(notes), by failing to acknowledge him on a pair of occasions: once in the team’s training room and once at a local awards show.

Rogers reportedly asked the team not to pay him a $6 million bonus and to trade or release him. Mangini, who claimed he didn’t notice Rogers at the awards show, apparently patched up the relationship; Rogers recently said the two had put aside their differences “just like grown men do.”

It’s unclear how another Browns defensive lineman, Shaun Smith, feels about Mangini, who a source said told the player during their first interaction at the team’s facility, “Lose some weight and lose the attitude.”

The latest coach-player dustup involves Cribbs, who signed a six-year, $6.7 million contract extension in 2006 and, after a Pro Bowl ’07 season, began earning comparisons to the Chicago Bears’ ultra-explosive breakaway threat Devin Hester(notes). Last July Hester signed a four-year contract extension worth a reported $40 million, which did not go unnoticed by Cribbs.

When Cribbs’ representatives at All-Pro Sports and Entertainment approached Savage last summer about their client’s desire for a new deal, they were told the team was amenable to adjusting his salary following the ’08 season because Cribbs was deserving and was a positive locker-room influence.

Two sources say Lerner, too, was on board with the decision and that the owner, after firing Savage and coach Romeo Crennel immediately after a season-ending defeat at Pittsburgh last December, called Cribbs on the team bus to assure him that regardless of the moves he would honor his word and address the player’s contract situation.

Yet after Mangini’s arrival, no one in the organization expressed interest in negotiating a new deal. Frustrated by the team’s unresponsiveness, Cribbs decided to skip this week’s voluntary minicamp. The Browns then issued a statement that disputed Cribbs’ reported perspective, saying, “no one from the current Browns organization, including Owner Randy Lerner, has ever made any promises to Josh Cribbs with regard to his contract status.”

That, said a source close to Cribbs, “took his anger from Defcon 3 to Defcon 1.” Cribbs, through his representatives, has since asked for a trade, a request the Browns said they were not amenable to honoring.

On Thursday, Cribbs was asked to come to the facility for a meeting with Mangini. The player complied, explaining to the coach that he wouldn’t participate in voluntary offseason activities until the team honors its promise to adjust his contract. Mangini, according to a source familiar with the conversation, said little in return. Cribbs then attended a team meeting before departing the facility, leaving teammates wondering if a resolution is in sight.

“They need to figure out a way to get that fixed,” the aforementioned unnamed Browns player said Thursday, “because the guy is a special player.”

Could the situation be handled any more clumsily? Whatever Mangini’s perception of Cribbs’ value, he should be especially sensitive to the player’s contention that the team broke its promise to upgrade his deal. During Mangini’s tenure with the Jets, three players no longer with the team – guard Pete Kendall(notes), tight end Chris Baker(notes) and wideout Laveranues Coles(notes) – went public with similar accusations.

Why would a team do business this way? Why did Lerner, with no other NFL franchises in pursuit of Mangini as a head coach, rush to make the hire before naming a GM and then grant him so much control over the team’s football operations? Why is a franchise, whose powerbrokers are paranoid enough to check an employee’s cell-phone records, be so rattled by a player’s absence from a voluntary minicamp that it put out a public statement essentially calling one of its model citizens a greedy liar?

“The whole thing is so screwy,” said one former Browns employee. “I think it’s about control. If the fans knew what was really going on over there, they wouldn’t even buy a ticket.”

Football, of course, is a bottom-line business. Fan support will persist if Mangini, despite his warped methodology, turns the Browns into a winner, as he did with the Jets in his first season. The same goes for Pioli and Haley in K.C. and for McDaniels and his handpicked GM, Brian Xanders, in Denver.

I wonder whether Mangini, Pioli or McDaniels can attain the type of immediate success enjoyed last year in Atlanta under first-year general manager Thomas Dimitroff, another former Pats employee who approached his new job with a far less contentious management style.

If not, it won’t be a very merry Christmas for them or their affronted employees. It’s safe to say that in Mangini’s case, there’s one popular party to which he likely won’t be receiving an invitation.

What an idiot silver is all of his information comes from rumors and disgruntled ex savage sources...personally i like everything mangini has done thusfar this is how you build a championship contender from the ashes of the failed ex regime...mankok doesnt seem to have many fans in the media and thats not a bad thing imo....;)

Nice article. So he doesn't really KNOW what Mangini has or hasn't done, it's all speculation and hearsay.

Or maybe Mangini has arrived and proven that the party is over - this is another step in breaking down a bunch of "me's" into a "team".

(Didn't the other posting indicate that it was one of the other coaches yelling at Smith, not Mangini).

“The whole thing is so screwy,” said one former Browns employee. “I think it’s about control. If the fans knew what was really going on over there, they wouldn’t even buy a ticket.”

No, the product has sucked ass, by that measure alone we shouldn't be buying tickets.

As far as who he has alienated so far, Rogers was being a baby. He thought just because he and the coach were in the same building, Eric should have come to him and sucked up to him.

Cribbs, well, that one is a mess. We've got a whole thread on this one so I'm not going into it.

Smith, he's an overweight big mouthed ass that would rather be stood up and lean forward on the field than put any effort in. I say we flat cut that SOB outright and give his money to Josh, everyone wins.

While I think there is some ax to grind, it was one of the better written articles I have read in a while.

It will all work as as it should.

Guest Aloysius

People who've covered the Patriots say that there are two Belichicks: the monotone Mumbles that he busts out for the media, and the more affable self he reveals when dealing with assistants and players. He may be frigid when bullshitting the media, but he'll show some heart when talking with Tedy Bruschi about how their kids are doing. Or funny while joking around with a rookie about the truck he just bought with his signing bonus.

That, I think, is the trait people don't see in Mangini. No one's questioning that this team needs discipline and accountability, which is what Belichick is all about. He'll let a player know when he's underperforming and won't hesitate to cut a respected veteran who's not getting it done. Ultimately, it's about fielding the best team on Sundays, not making friends.

But it's also true that discipline without a sense of trust and fairness can breed discontent. For every Cowher or Belichick, there's a Marinelli who runs a bootcamp but still can't get his guys to line up properly, or a Gruden who keeps screaming long after his players have already tuned him out.

The bipolar prism that is the New York media makes it hard to know for sure whether this was an issue for Mangini in New York, but there were rumblings about it: his churlish demeanor, his poor treatment of assistants, and - perhaps most disconcertingly - reports that he played favorites.

Who knows whether any of that was true or not, but we shouldn't mistake nastiness for instilling a new tough, disciplined work ethic. Belichick won't even shake Tom Jackson's hand because the guy once said on air that his players hate him. Clearly, being liked and respected is part of what makes a good head coach.

So Mangini needs to relate to these players just as he needs to hold them accountable. That's why it's frustrating that the one player he seemed to buddy up to is now holding out from OTA's and is engaged in what we all hope won't be a nasty contract dispute.

I've always been in support of mangini but I in no way will put my blind faith in him. This article is just one of many that have been written on Mangini's abrasive character and supposed mismanaging of the personal. There's obviously merit to the stories, even if they seem to be blown out of proportion.

Both sides of the issue have merits.

Yes, Mangini can be an asshole and seems to undervalue players.

Yes, being an asshole can be a good thing for the team in terms of discipline.

This article puts too much negative spin on the guy, but I think its great to see a break from the usual "mangenious" mantras I've been seeing.

People who've covered the Patriots say that there are two Belichicks: the monotone Mumbles that he busts out for the media, and the more affable self he reveals when dealing with assistants and players. He may be frigid when bullshitting the media, but he'll show some heart when talking with Tedy Bruschi about how their kids are doing. Or funny while joking around with a rookie about the truck he just bought with his signing bonus.

That, I think, is the trait people don't see in Mangini. No one's questioning that this team needs discipline and accountability, which is what Belichick is all about. He'll let a player know when he's underperforming and won't hesitate to cut a respected veteran who's not getting it done. Ultimately, it's about fielding the best team on Sundays, not making friends.

But it's also true that discipline without a sense of trust and fairness can breed discontent. For every Cowher or Belichick, there's a Marinelli who runs a bootcamp but still can't get his guys to line up properly, or a Gruden who keeps screaming long after his players have already tuned him out.

The bipolar prism that is the New York media makes it hard to know for sure whether this was an issue for Mangini in New York, but there were rumblings about it: his churlish demeanor, his poor treatment of assistants, and - perhaps most disconcertingly - reports that he played favorites.

Who knows whether any of that was true or not, but we shouldn't mistake nastiness for instilling a new tough, disciplined work ethic. Belichick won't even shake Tom Jackson's hand because the guy once said on air that his players hate him. Clearly, being liked and respected is part of what makes a good head coach.

So Mangini needs to relate to these players just as he needs to hold them accountable. That's why it's frustrating that the one player he seemed to buddy up to is now holding out from OTA's and is engaged in what we all hope won't be a nasty contract dispute.

I have yet to see anything that says the Cribbs problem is with or about Mangini. Its a contract issue, and that falls on Kokinis, and in this particular case, Lerner. People keep blaming Mangini for Cribbs not being in OTAs. I just don't see it.

u know the old sang, they're either at your feet, or at your throat. if you coddle the players too much, they will do their own thing, just like RAC. all these coaches mentioned probably learned that from the pats, and are taking their coaching role as the tough guy in charge, not the buddy of the players.

I would offer that the issue is already addressed to Cribbs' initial satisfaction (ie, enough to get him with the program and perhaps a promise to talk about it). This guy is creating a story because he has nothing else to write about. Yes, McDaniels has a lot to learn but calling out Scott "Buddies with Belichick-and-son-in-law-to-the-Tuna" Pioli is just ridiculous.

He is trying to put a negative spin on the coach whom he clearly knows very little about. Mangini also has the "face shown to the media" and the "face shown in the lockerroom". I've seen players figuratively run through brick walls for the man. I think that speaks for itself in my mind.

Hmm. Shaun Rogers. Made nice, eh? What about that player relationship? Notice how now that Mangini is gone in NY....Leon Washington and Thomas Jones aren't happy?

bla bla bla.. My boss doesn't love me either. Hester actually STARTS for Chicago at WR.... and with Cutler there.. look for this to be a breakout year. Cribbs cannot get the route running and catching down yet to be a consistant performer as a WR Otherwise we would not have spent 2 2nd rounders on receivers. . I love him.. but he has no leverage here. Shut up and play. Blow up on special teams again. Do what the team asks you and when the season is OVER.... get it OVER...then go talk to them. You cannot approach a brand new GM and coaching staff and expect love when you begin the relationship making demands... Mangini is not the ass here.. Cribbs is.

Cribbs new agent isn't making anything $ off of this contract... In order to make the big bucks he needs to strike a new deal...

Now if Lerner promised Crbbs a new deal then thats a different story... Myself I think that fact is all bullcrap... Lerner has shown he's not afraid to spend the money, so that assumption is not in character with Lerner...

The new guy just can't start tearing up contracts, if he does where will it end..

As far as giving JJ and A Davis the boot, JJ is damaged material and may never play to his former level again and he refused to take a pay cut... As far as A Davis is concerned, I saw enough of him to know that he wasn't the answer to our needs.....

peace

T.Dawg

On a report i had read JJ said he was prepared to take a steap pay cut.

The man wasn't even running at full speed and still showed a slight limp when I saw him in Berea before he was cut. Not even close to 100% and may never be. This team can't afford to go into the season with potential long term injuries staring them in the face, like last year. The man had 7 surgeries on his knee and was a year from retirement, what did you expect him to contribute to the team.

If he makes 40 or 50 catches for someone else this year I will gladly saw this staff blew it. but, until he shows he can get back on the field, I have to say the right decision was made.

And please don't go there with Davis, he sucks. Can't drop into coverage, can't produce any pass rush, overruns plays and can't get off blocks. What he does is makes tackles 5 yards down field because his ass is getting pushed around by some guard or center.

Hey, I loved JJ as a Brown and hoped he could make it back, but they are bringing in those Jets because we were 4-12 and they are better then what we had.

No way in heck do we cut a young player with possibly 10 years in front of him for a proven guy who might give you 12 games this year.

If Mangini was to give a roster slot to JJ, Mangini should be relieved of duty.

That chapter is over. The book is finished.

The End

Cribbs isn't making anything on this contract????? . Bull squat!!! Why did he sign it????? If he didn't like the contract he should have refused it then.. He signed, he took the money. Then he saw what Hester got and started crying about it. Hester is a starting wide reciever. Cribbs cannot get on the field as a solid #3. The money is very different for what they do.

Cribbs isn't making anything on this contract????? . Bull squat!!! Why did he sign it????? If he didn't like the contract he should have refused it then.. He signed, he took the money. Then he saw what Hester got and started crying about it. Hester is a starting wide reciever. Cribbs cannot get on the field as a solid #3. The money is very different for what they do.

Exactly. BIG difference in time & # of plays per game if nothing else.

Mike

Cribbs was stoked to get that new deal and extension. then he reads his press clippings and googles Devin Hester.

it's like this kid I know who had a great Christmas, then a couple days later he was over his neighbor's and saw under his tree.

jealousy is a bitch. so is greed for that matter.

I thought Josh Cribbs to be above this. thirty years ago they still played just as hard for next to nothing.

and for the record amenable implies something is likely to happen, no guarantees. it's just a tipped scale is all.

again, Josh was hyped he got that 6 mil extension. perception truly is everything.

and wasn't L. Coles one of the ones that came out and spoke in favor of Mangini after his firing? that article was bunk junk.

Exactly. BIG difference in time & # of plays per game if nothing else.

Mike

What people also froget is that he didn't even finish his rookie contract and they rewarded him with a new one. Then, he gets $2 mil up front and his salary for two years. So, he has reaped over $3.3 millon for two years. That's over $1.6 million a year the last two years for a special teams player. If they do a new contract this year then he was very well paid that last two years and hadn't outplayed his contract.

Personally, I would tell him that he needed to play out the year and then they would add a substantial bonus in March and bonuses and incentives for the remaining years of the contract. I would not add any additional guaranteed money.

Sorry, but this is the second time in 4 years that he has asked for his contract to be redone.

Archived