THE BROWNS BOARD

Can we just do this?

Westside Steve

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Good plan as long as Darnold comes out.  Reports for most of this season were that he is staying in school.

Yes I've read those stories. I can't help thinking that someone will take the fellow by the hand and say being the first pick in the draft is something that only comes along once in your career. All you need is to have some bad luck next season lose a few games or get hurt.

I don't know enough about Rosen to decide whether he'd be just as good a pic or not. I hear rumors of attitude problems but who knows? It looks like Allen has fallen off the map.

WSS

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

On further review I see I was wrong about Allen.

Anybody like him?

Cal likes Allen.     I'm not a fan.  I don't think he's accurate enough and hes playing against the mountain west which isn't exactly the powerhouses of college football.

1 hour ago, domcucch1994 said:

I like Baker Mayfield.

But if we pass on Darnold and he goes on to have a stellar career someplace else, that would suck..

However, I think we can score Saquon Barkley and a QB with the Texans pick..

I've often times argued to take a risk with quarterback somewhere down in the first door or somewhere else. This time we shopped in The Bargain Basement and got the fourth most respected quarterback in the draft . You never know when you're going to strike gold right? It just hasn't worked out. This time I say just take the best guy and go on from there. What I don't want to do is over pay for a journeyman like Kirk Cousins.

WSS

2 hours ago, domcucch1994 said:

I like Baker Mayfield.

But if we pass on Darnold and he goes on to have a stellar career someplace else, that would suck..

However, I think we can score Saquon Barkley and a QB with the Texans pick..

On the other hand.....

Baker Mayfield gets first-round grade in NFL Draft projection

https://search.app.goo.gl/5qWZ

Shared from my Google feed

26 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

True. we should trade down again and pick another TE and safety. Shmuck QB anyway

Better idea, let's take a shot at two QB's that have no business being drafted that high.   This way, even though you end up with the next Blaine Gabbert or Johnny Manziel, you can Shmucking say you address the position simply for the sake of need.

Seen this script before.   Worst part is, if this FO is retained I know it's exactly what they're going to do.  

5 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Barkley is a luxury we're nor gonna afford. Unless we trade our draft to go right back to #2

You like Mr. 2.8 yards/carry?

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Better idea, let's take a shot at two QB's that have no business being drafted that high.   This way, even though you end up with the next Blaine Gabbert or Johnny Manziel, you can Shmucking say you address the position simply for the sake of need.

Seen this script before.   Worst part is, if this FO is retained I know it's exactly what they're going to do.  

They have to with the fan pressure. I'm curious, what would you do with this first round? 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Rosen and Connor Williams would fill two holes (longterm) but man, that's some injury concerns with BOTH picks.

Connor Williams sucks. Saw him get absolutely destroyed by Maryland in their first game. I'm also hearing alot of smoke here around town that he'll be back next season.

12 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Darnold/Mayfield and Barkley would be a great way to get both our front office AND coaching staff canned.   So if that's your thing then by all means....

And if neither of these guys pan out, you'll all be frustrated with our FO again.  How many of you were on the Kizer bandwagon prior to this years draft?  The fact I'm trying to make is nobody know who will be the next great QB.  Just about everyone was against Deshone Watson before the draft.  The last point I need to make is it's not about how great a QB you are, its about the where you play and how prepared you are.  Houston Texans have a better team, than we do.  Kizer could've been a great QB, under the right guidance.  But coming in and being thrown into the fire, well you see the results.

I was on the Dak bandwagon in 2016 and Watson this year. Still deciding on 2018. I'm leaning to Rosen if off the field issues turn out to be non-issues. Darnold might be in the running if he comes out. Definitely not "no accuracy'" Wyoming Cowboy. Backup written all over that one (if he's lucky enough to find a non-backup team).

2 hours ago, dawg2fan said:

And if neither of these guys pan out, you'll all be frustrated with our FO again.  How many of you were on the Kizer bandwagon prior to this years draft?  The fact I'm trying to make is nobody know who will be the next great QB.  Just about everyone was against Deshone Watson before the draft.  The last point I need to make is it's not about how great a QB you are, its about the where you play and how prepared you are.  Houston Texans have a better team, than we do.  Kizer could've been a great QB, under the right guidance.  But coming in and being thrown into the fire, well you see the results.

Nobody? Barkley even exploded against Ohio State. Mayfield is up for the Heisman. A clear running game and an explosive back like the Jaguars have would not only complement Duke, it would provide much needed fire power for our offense. I was never aboard the Kizer train as I thought he's a multi year project and shouldn't of played right away. With a Bridge QB (such as McCown, Baker Mayfield could learn for a year if need be, and then be the game manager that we need. I'm all aboard this kid. Compare him to Manziel, Weeden, whoever the heck you want, but I only compare him to himself.

The argument - We don't have the playmakers to make a QB good so we shouldn't take one is stupid. The argument that Barkley might be a bust so we should trade down and pick another TE, Safety, or whatever with the first pick is stupid too. We need firepower on offense, and the earlier someone is picked, usually the better they are. I don't like Rosen, D'Arnold, or Allen. I don't like Rosen's attitude and friends of mine who have watched every UCLA game for the past few years told me they wouldn't even want Rosen on their team. 

Wentz was good because he was a leader and WANTED it. He stayed late in the film room, lifted, spent time with his teammates, was smart, and worked hard. Say what you want about Mayfield and Barkley, but they're hard workers. 

14 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Barkley is a luxury we're nor gonna afford. Unless we trade our draft to go right back to #2

Got to wait and see how the rest of the season, the combine and the draft unfolds... Nobody knows what will happen. It's very possible that both, one or neither will be there with our second 1st round pick. 

Time will tell. 

4 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Got to wait and see how the rest of the season, the combine and the draft unfolds... Nobody knows what will happen. It's very possible that both, one or neither will be there with our second 1st round pick. 

Time will tell. 

In my opinion, Barkley is the most talented player coming out of the draft. Sashi said he didn't want to reach for a QB, and I currently believe at this moment, Rosen, D'Arnold, Allen, Jackson or any other QB would be a reach at #1 

12 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

Nobody? Barkley even exploded against Ohio State. Mayfield is up for the Heisman. A clear running game and an explosive back like the Jaguars have would not only complement Duke, it would provide much needed fire power for our offense. I was never aboard the Kizer train as I thought he's a multi year project and shouldn't of played right away. With a Bridge QB (such as McCown, Baker Mayfield could learn for a year if need be, and then be the game manager that we need. I'm all aboard this kid. Compare him to Manziel, Weeden, whoever the heck you want, but I only compare him to himself.

The argument - We don't have the playmakers to make a QB good so we shouldn't take one is stupid. The argument that Barkley might be a bust so we should trade down and pick another TE, Safety, or whatever with the first pick is stupid too. We need firepower on offense, and the earlier someone is picked, usually the better they are. I don't like Rosen, D'Arnold, or Allen. I don't like Rosen's attitude and friends of mine who have watched every UCLA game for the past few years told me they wouldn't even want Rosen on their team. 

Wentz was good because he was a leader and WANTED it. He stayed late in the film room, lifted, spent time with his teammates, was smart, and worked hard. Say what you want about Mayfield and Barkley, but they're hard workers. 

The Heisman???

:o

WSS

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

The Heisman???

:o

WSS

ESPN Experts' PollfffNov. 7, 2017f

Name Position School Year 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total
Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma Sr. 12 0 0 0 0 60
Bryce Love RB Stanford Jr. 0 4 4 2 1 33
Saquon Barkley RB Penn State Jr. 0 3 2 4 2 28