THE BROWNS BOARD

A New Season.

PoeticG

Josh Gordon is back. Corey Coleman is back. Garrett is back. Peppers is back. Hogan is back. This team has been drug around enough, I think that they can sense that the pendulum is turning. I'm excited to forget the first half of the season and look forward to our future. We have exactly Half a Season of football left in the tank. Let's say that we're 0-0. I want to see Kevin Hogan get a chance to redeem himself for the Huston game a few weeks back. We are finally healthy across the board except for {Thomas} but I think that the long way back for him will be easier knowing that he's been made the highest paid OL in History =). 

I think that we will see an entirely different offense this second half. We will have 2 outstanding players at WR with Gordon and Coleman and a stable of other complementary WRs, Britt, Ricardo, Treggs, Williams and Higgins. With the right WRs and a still solid OL we should be able to get the relief that we've needed to support the run game. Maybe Crowell, Duke and Dayes will find a little soft spot behind the DL to eat up some yardage. I'm hoping that we'll finally get to see Hue Jackson's offense that he's teased since getting here.

This team is really young and being formed and forged right before our eyes. Enjoy the process, that's what I'm going to do. Don't panic. Let's get behind our team for better or worse. That is where the bonds and the payoff is going to come from. When we are good for a long time, the ones who went through the trials will have all the sweeter the victory. It's been so long since we've won, what is another 8 games? Next year we'll be loaded and READY to compete going in with two full seasons in an offensive scheme and a second year of an already better defensive scheme. 

We've filled out the Roster nicely with key players to where next season we will just be finishing off the roster. QB,RB,LB,DB,S. Those are the positions that I would be looking to improve through the draft and a key piece strategically in FA. Our OL and DL are good and could be set for years! Our LBs are nice Kirksey and Collins are definite studs. I think Body Count, Kindred and Peppers are good long term secondary players. I think that Taylor and McCourty are good. I don't see many glaring holes or inefficiencies on the Defensive side of the ball at all. Reps, Gametime and Chemistry are three of the biggest needs for our Defense. 

On Offense we need a little help. But it's not that bad to be honest. Kizer not being ready and lack of dangerous weapons at WR have hampered the Offense all season. Coleman breaking another hand and Gordon having to miss most of the season has screwed us up in getting a clear look at what has been needed moving forward. But the way that I see it, if Gordon is back-back, he becomes the TRUE #1 that we've needed since he left. A #2 WR isn't as hard to come by in the NFL. Britt could be the #2 and do a good job of it... he's just NOT a #1 WR that defenses fear... however, he could become quite scary as a legitimate #2 opposite Gordon. Coleman moves into the Slot WR. This is not a #3 WR. This is a slot man, he's going to get the ball in space and this is typically you're smaller quicker/shiftier WR- ala Corey Coleman. Perfect fit. Then all the other WR spots fall into place. #4-5-6 WRs go to the hot hand and these guys typically make plays because they're being overlooked. That they had to play a larger role the first half of the season will actually make them better going forward than most other team's #4-5-6 WRs... make sense? 

The Offensive Line has been good. Bitonio, Drango, Coleman, Tretter and Zeitler are good man. Even without Joe Thomas they will get the job done. How many other teams have a 10 time ProBowl first ballot Hall of Famer out there? 0. The real issue is the QB running the play correctly and getting the timing down to where the ball comes out quickly and the OL doesn't need to block for 5 seconds for a 3 yard gain. The running game is okay. Crowell can look so good and then turn right around and trip over his own feet or try to run up inside a lineman's butt. To me Crowell is an awesome #2 RB. Duke is your change of pace back and swing man. We need a legit, Fournette, Richardson, Peterson type of RB to feature... one that Defenses fear. The TE's are nice. Njoku and DeValve are some big athletic targets and with time they will get better at run blocking... I would hope. But then that's 2 decent/potentially game changing TEs there, do we really need 3? 

What else is there but the QB. The QB is the most important part of this entire thing, the face of the Franchise. And let's face it, we don't have that guy yet. But everything else is set. AND THAT IS OKAY. We took the long way around but we're gonna get there. It's gonna be okay, put the torches and pitchforks back of the walls and let's enjoy this process. Is Kizer the guy? I don't think so. Is Kessler the guy? Again, I don't think so. What about this other guy, this Kevin Hogan kid? I think he might be. What do we have to lose, another game? Don't threaten us with a good time. Losing can't break our shine once we've set our mind. Please stay seated until we've come to a complete stop, turbulence is expected. 

Let's make some noise and have some fun! It's Football Season baby! Woof Woof Woof!!!

OK. I'm going to do an optimistic analysis for our "new season" 8 game schedule. 

Wk 10 at DET: Good team, good defense. Run game is not good but pass offense is been able to win crazy games with high scores on 4th Qtr. I don't think Browns can score enough to get it.

Wk. 11 vs JAX: Coleman is back. Great defense, average attack. Their QB keeps them down, but they've won all the season games against teams with average/bad offenses. Only possible way I think of is that they are on a "down" of the rollercoaster their season has been.

Wk. 12 at CIN: This is a winnable game. 9 weeks later after last match, our defense is being showing some promise and their run attack is not performing as well as it was expected to. If attack doesn't let down the defense and field goals are scored, it can be a whole different game of what we saw on wk 3.

Wk. 13 at LA (Chargers): Josh Gordon's first game. So at this point we have a complete different set at attack. Charger's defense is principally based on the great Bosa-Ingram duo, so if OL can keep them at bay and pass rush gets into Rivers' mind (if he gets crazy, he underperforms greatly with costly INTs) I think this one is winnable too. Also they cannot claim to have the 'homefield advantage', LOL. 

Wk. 14 vs GB: With little or no run game despite Ty Montgomery and Adam Jones, everything rests on the QBs shoulders... Who won't be Aaron Rodgers. Also, injuries are playing a role in their season and I don't think they will force key players out of their injuries in a hopeless season ending, as probably Minnesota is taking their division.

Wk. 15 vs BAL: Well, their attack is not really good and they get it going exclusively if it doesn't rest on Flacco's hands (or troublesome back). So if you stop the run game, AND DON'T MAKE TURNOVERS as in Wk. 2, it can be winnable too.

Wk. 16 at CHI: I think they're a fighting team with a promising future, but if John Fox keeps his "only run" unidimensional mentality, it can be an average offense, despite having two good running backs in Howard and Cohen. The defense stands in a good front seven, so if battles are won in the trenches, and by won I mean that Kizer doesn't get constant pressure/hits, in the WR-CB fight we may stand a chance. Anyway, it's in Chicago, so it would be a really hard game to win. 

Wk. 17 at PIT: Great team, with an improving defense and difference making playmakers in the key roles. But I say it's winnable, basing my reasoning on everything that's purely non-football. First of all, they will probably have by the time the division title already, and will be preparing for the playoffs. That's huge as you don't want to risk key players for being 2nd instead of 3rd seed (Pats are taking the 1st, most likely), moreover when Ben has always had injuries. Second, Pittsburgh has a statistic really interesting these years: they win games against over .500 teams, lose against under .500 teams. They have less to fight for.

I say 5 are winnable and one hardly winnable (CHI), with first two ones being the hardest ones. 

27 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

the fans have never left this time.  Fan support given the product on the field has been magnificent.

Im expecting a better product over the final 8 games because teams cannot consistently be this terrible.  I think we go 2-6 over this stretch, maybe 3-5.

You're more optimistic than I am.    2 wins would be amazing over the last 8.   We still don't have a QB who is accurate enough and apparently we are pinning our hopes on a glass handed receiver and Josh Gordon who hasnt played in 2 years.   

2 wins would be overachieving for this bunch.

Well, the D has been better without Peppers so his coming back is no big deal...except for his own learning curve.

Coleman will be rusty and probably tentative out there.

Gordon, what, he got his playbook today?  And can't even practice for a couple of weeks?  We might get 5 weeks out of him and he'll be running wrong routes, zigging instead of zagging, etc.

And of course, the rookie Kizer at the helm.

ok, so am I a wet rag...or a realist?

It's not a new season.  NEXT season will be a new season.  When/if Gordon CAN really contribute.  (or not)  When we have ANOTHER big draft behind us (and possibly new coaches and FO...or NOT).  

We 'might' beat the Bears.

46 minutes ago, Mark O said:

You're more optimistic than I am.    2 wins would be amazing over the last 8.  

2 wins for a crappy team in 8 games really isn't amazing.  it is much more likely than 0 wins in those 8.  I dont think you guys appreciate how hard it is to go 1-31 over 32 games.  That requires an unusual amount of crappiness that is hard to do nd very statistically unlikely.

20 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

2 wins for a crappy team in 8 games really isn't amazing.  it is much more likely than 0 wins in those 8.  I dont think you guys appreciate how hard it is to go 1-31 over 32 games.  That requires an unusual amount of crappiness that is hard to do nd very statistically unlikely.

I wouldn't have the foggiest idea when a NFL team last went 1-31 over a 32 game stretch.

I said all along that I am sick of listening to talk about the 2018 draft. We have 8 games to play, and while this team can't make the playoffs, we sure would be a hell of a lot happier this Christmas if the Browns show some life, 2- 6? Eh, not so much,  3 -5, 4- 4? 5 - 3? I don't like Coleman as a #1............ but with Gordon in? Big difference.

I think we are going to have some fun.

Tonight I pray that these kids are finally able to stay healthy. I hope our Zumba Intructer turns into a QB destructor.

Go Browns.

12 hours ago, Tacosman said:

I realize how hard it is to go 1-31 over 2 seasons but I haven't seen much in the first 8 to give me hope against a schedule that isn't especially favorable over the 2nd half of the season.     I hope I'm wrong.  I hope they win all 8 and Kizer starts to look like Joe Montana.   Nothing would make me happier than seeing this team win each and every game to finish off the season.

3 hours ago, Mark O said:

I realize how hard it is to go 1-31 over 2 seasons but I haven't seen much in the first 8 to give me hope against a schedule that isn't especially favorable over the 2nd half of the season.     I hope I'm wrong.  I hope they win all 8 and Kizer starts to look like Joe Montana.   Nothing would make me happier than seeing this team win each and every game to finish off the season.

That's the funny thing about life. I always try to stress that in my posts, albeit at times the message would get lost. However, here is the thing, when you are dealing with life, humanity, whatever you want to call it, analytics really are not predictive of anything. Analytics always look good AFTER the event happens, and then the analyst can pick and choose which analytics he believes apply to what we have just seen. But really, nobody in the analytic world, if you are being honest, has predicted jack schidt............Fist it is the ice age, then its global warming, now it is cooling again, year after year the analytics fall apart after the players drafted actually play.....Predict the outcome of Vegas games, go ahead, see what happens to you..................Analytics sure didn't confine Donald Trump, did it?

People are capable of amazing things and none of us, certainly not me, can predict what it is that sparks a man/woman or a group to change their own fortune. I promise yu, the majority of tremendous success stories throughout history, were underdogs, wackos, and in general long shots that the analytical minds gave no chance at all. Buster Douglas always comes to my mind.

So, Kizer is schidt? Ahhh, not really, he just does some schidt things that overshadow the good things. Bret Favre did more stupid, schidt things than any successful QB I ever remember, but yet, his team made plays and overcame it. Will this happen to the Browns? Who knows?  I don't, you don't, and sure as hell the jackoffs on TV don't either.

It is easy to look at a schidt team and provide analysis for all the things they are doing wrong. What analytics can never account for however, is a man's growth, passion, current state of mind and understanding.

So, our schidt team suits up again and has everyone self-assured of us losing. Of course, when the Browns kick the Lions in the ballsack....the same analysts will be pulling out statistics to show why this can be explained. FUKC analytics, FUKC the experts and FUKC anyone who doesn't have hope for the Browns. That's not me....now, I am still vehement about my disdain for Hue and the FO, but I am allowed to be.............and so are you. But these analyst caulk-suckers? They don't know schidt.

I believe like any human, Kizer is a little better this week than last. He will have more tools, and hopefully Zumba-man will start planting QBs into the turf.

Browns win again this week. Book it, 1 in a row. 

3 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

So, our schidt team suits up again and has everyone self-assured of us losing. Of course, when the Browns kick the Lions in the ballsack....the same analysts will be pulling out statistics to show why this can be explained.

If we beat anyone this year it'll be because they took us for granted and didn't prepare properly during the week. There's your non-analytics analysis for ya.

The Lions are 2 games behind the Vikings.  They've gotta beat us.  -  And they always seem to make our team(s) look bad.

17 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

score like the Packers did.

December 10th..Get your Christmas shopping done early..Were beating the Packers in Cleveland.Let it Snow.Book Both!! 

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Were beating the Packers in Cleveland.Let it Snow.Book Both!! 

That would be our 'other' shot at a victory.  I've been saying the Bears.  (I don't think the Chargers let it happen 2 years in a row)

7 minutes ago, Orion said:

That would be our 'other' shot at a victory.  I've been saying the Bears.  (I don't think the Chargers let it happen 2 years in a row)

I think the Bears defense is too good and our offense is not so good and that's a bad combination.  Triblowski might not throw a pass against us and we will still lose...like Army against Air Force this past Saturday

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

December 10th..Get your Christmas shopping done early..Were beating the Packers in Cleveland.Let it Snow.Book Both!! 

I will be in the snowshoeing on the Big Island of Hawaii for that game. Well snorkeling anyway.:D

It's time to move Peppers over to the Offensive side of the ball. He's been out of the Defense for a bit now and it would be a good time to see what he can bring to the table offensively. Imagine if he's a straight up beast offensively! Gordon, Coleman, Njoku, Peppers and Duke could turn into a straight up Dawgfight! 

5 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Imagine if he's a straight up beast offensively! Gordon, Coleman, Njoku, Peppers and Duke could turn into a straight up Dawgfight! 

Who ya cutting to get Corey & Gordon back on active roster?B)

8 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

It's time to move Peppers over to the Offensive side of the ball. He's been out of the Defense for a bit now and it would be a good time to see what he can bring to the table offensively. Imagine if he's a straight up beast offensively! Gordon, Coleman, Njoku, Peppers and Duke could turn into a straight up Dawgfight! 

I wasn't aware he's been on the defensive side of the ball? I thought Williams had him standing next to the security guys in front of the the endzone walls.

Peppers? How bout rewarding Matt Dayes after the 71 yard KO return? Instead we get 2 more Crow carries/2 more Kizer incomplete's & a Dang with Zane..Not getting Dayes any touches tells us nothing after Crow stumbles blindly into a pile of money this offseason

3 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Peppers? How bout rewarding Matt Dayes after the 71 yard KO return? Instead we get 2 more Crow carries/2 more Kizer incomplete's & a Dang with Zane..Not getting Dayes any touches tells us nothing after Crow stumbles blindly into a pile of money this offseason

Not using Dayes is one of those Hue flaws IMO. He has better vision and breaks more tackles because of that vision than Mr. RunuptheOLbutts.

Peppers' contribution has been almost non-existant. The defense has played well when he wasn't there, so it tells you all. So I'm up for trying to use him elsewhere, if he still doesn't know how to play FS and plays centerfield miles away from the play. 

About Dayes, I think running game hasn't been good, and he only has 4 attempts! Hue should start thinking new stuff and not only wait for Coleman and Josh and the mutation of Kizer.

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I wasn't aware he's been on the defensive side of the ball? I thought Williams had him standing next to the security guys in front of the the endzone walls.

Wait?.. isnt he a ball boy?

Archived