THE BROWNS BOARD

The 'who have you watched lately?' thread.

tiamat63

Pretty straight forward - What CFB players have you specifically watched film on?  Not highlights, not lowlights... actual game replays or breakdowns.     I feel it best to condense things here as opposed to a camp or individual player thread.      

Make sure to include in your post(s)

Player, game/opponent and your opinion preferably with a video or at least a link to plays that support your assesment and what stoodout to you.  More importantly what impact and position they would possibly have with the Brownies.  Bonus points for giving an idea on where you'd draft them.    Im at work but I'll have my in later tonight.   Reseved spots in my post for.

Benkurt, QB UVA.

Allen, QB Wyoming

Mayfield, QB OU

Josh Jackson, DB Iowa  -  Watched his games vs Sparty, Minny (sadly) twice vs the Bucks.        

Came away feeling this is a kid has the raw tools, but his physical skill set isn't being matched schematically or coached technically by the Hawkeye staff.      The basics, he's 6-6'1 in cleats and I'd say 195lbs.   Good size for a CB, long arms/arms and solid athletic ability.  Especially denying the home run ball.  His hips aren't elite but they're not "you won't be able to play CB" bad either.   In fact, this is where I talk about his raw technique needing polish by his own coaches.   He tends to play high in his initial stance, turns his hips high, opens too soon and doesn't use his hands properly to get a jam when he can.    That's not to say he doesn't use his hands at all, he most certain does.   But how he lands his strikes on a receiver with how he pairs his footwork needs attention.   When he does turn to run against the vertical stuff his footwork isn't lightning fast, but it's smooth enough.    He'll mirror ok then stay even with the receiver and allow his straight line speed and height to force the QB into either a perfect throw or the WR to come up with an insane catch.      Schematically the Hawks seem to mix up their zone looks between cover 2, 3 and 6 quite often.       In the latter Phil Parker appears to tell his guys to stay on top of receivers.   There's clear bump and bail or straight bail being used intentionally.        Mark my words Iowa can be exploited on the outsides schematically.   Anywho,  in the 6, Jackson is the guy they asked to run the 1/4 on the outside most of the time.    His time there is where I gathered a lot of what I saw about him.    It's a 'keep everything in front of you' kind of defense that the Hawkeyes have grown used to for nearly 2 decades.     But I do believe Josh is capable of more in time.   

Coming away from watching him, I couldn't help but think of watching Richard Sherman and how he was deployed at Stanford.    Similar players, though Sherm might be just a tad taller,  similar schemes, responsibilities and alignments.  Players on teams that don't necessarily showcase their strengths.   Am I saying Josh is bound to be a pro-bowl CB?  No.   I'm saying I think with the right coaches and in the right style, he can something more than what he is now.         At the moment I'd have him slotted as a mid round pick.   Depending on how he looks over the next couple weeks might even place him a notch higher.     Bowl games, senior bowl, practices, combine, etc etc will weigh heavily on that.   I don't expect him to score off the charts athletically.   But being a great athlete at the position means nothing without the other makeup to go with it - (See; Gilbert, Justin)       Here's the Sparty game.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched some tape of bradley chubb. Not bad. His tape doesnt absolutely blow my mind but he's a solid end. Its not like macj or bosa's tape where u go wtf? He reminds me alot of garretts college tape without the ridiculous ghost rush but maybe a lil better disciplined against the run than garrett was. 

Would be a solid choice with the texans pick.....but id prefer we bring in a veteran DE in FA instead of another rook. Front 7 coyld be special nect year with collins back and maybe ansah at DE.

Really don't gt into "tape" until the declarations start being made and underclass start rolling into Draft Scouts rankings, but.... three QBs caught my eye this season beginning my Darkhorse competition.

The first was Ole Miss' Shea Patterson, but he's a sophomore and has now been supplanted by Jordan Ta'amu, also a sophomore. Haven't seen him play as yet, but statistically he's surpassed Shea. So no time need be spent there... see you next year boys?

The second was Miss State's Nick Fitzgerald, a junior, so maybe worth some time. But his early promise took nose dives whenever the Bulldogs faced real competition... not all his fault, but he's broken down some. I have to think he'll stay in school.. and benefit from it. Definitely will see you next season, son.

And then there's UVA's Kurt Benkert... fell in love with this kids mechanics at first sight. His burden has weighed him down as the season wore on and the competition stiffened, but his form has held up well. BIG game this Saturday vs. The U... My VCR is primed and ready.

Haven't looked hard at any other positions.

Being that I am interested in and watch WAY MORE NCAA than NFL football now I catch a lot more big games with the big teams plus all the hours on end of highlight stuff before, during and after games    you can't help seeing all of the primarily TOP 25 teams.

In particular Ohio State, B1G, ND, OU, good primetime match ups and occasional west coast late games......with particular interest in the QBs  (naturally), OL and DL guys.

Maybe the reason too why my NCAA Pick'ems are good and NFL ones stink. :lol:

Where are you guys getting your unbiased game tape? Is there a free site that gives you every single snap of every single game of Jon J Studd with no voice overs, play removals or any other biases? If so a link would be great!

I only watch the Pac 12 and SEC until the Bowl games. 

I didn't watch anything in the way of game tape....but I have seen a few guys on live TV lately.

Mason Rudolph vs.  Iowa St.  looked pretty good. I saw big chunks of that game. 

Saw some of the shootout with him and Mayfield.

But in watching both....I kept thinking:  How much can you trust this....since it is a Big 12 game, and the scores were like  62-52 or 49-42 etc. 

It is why despite both players being highly touted, I am still skeptical.

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I didn't watch anything in the way of game tape....but I have seen a few guys on live TV lately.

Mason Rudolph vs.  Iowa St.  looked pretty good. I saw big chunks of that game. 

Saw some of the shootout with him and Mayfield.

But in watching both....I kept thinking:  How much can you trust this....since it is a Big 12 game, and the scores were like  62-52 or 49-42 etc. 

It is why despite both players being highly touted, I am still skeptical.

Same here.

I like to watch Baker Mayfield play, but BIG12 QB's don't have a colorful history with the Browns.

Watched Darnold against Colorado- looked worlds better than anything I saw out of Kizer when he was at Notre Dame. Easy to see why Sam was getting all that hype. Also have seen plenty of Allen- have the Air Force game I've yet to watch, but he wasn't impressive against Boise State or Colorado State. Have seen some of Mayfield, but not the entire game against TCU. 

I'm sure us Ohio State homers think that analytics guy is nuts if he thinks JT Barrett is a good pro prospect. 

If Darnold declares, I can easily see 3 qbs going in the first round. 

I watched that Colo. game too and look forward to the showdown this weekend. Allen I've seen enough and still barfing. And Big XII is a defensive mess now that TCU is not playing as well as normal. I get to see Mississippi this weekend against my Aggies in Oxford via TV. Should be interesting. I have to record it though and watch most later because of the conflicting USC-UCLA game that starts an hour later.

3 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

YouTube sometimes shows every play by certain players.  Primarily qbs and rbs though,  but you can watch every throw good or bad 

There is a LOT of stuff on YouTube, way more than when it started up.....I try to stay away from it because you can waste a whole bunch of time watching everything on there.! :blink:

(actually it's a good site)

57 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

There is a LOT of stuff on YouTube, way more than when it started up.....I try to stay away from it because you can waste a whole bunch of time watching everything on there.! :blink:

(actually it's a good site)

I love it too much. Next thing I know,  I've wasted 4 hours straight looking at random crap 

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

If Darnold declares, I can easily see 3 qbs going in the first round. 

went back to look at what Goff/Wentz slotted at when Drafted? That QB dollar should be hard to pass on anywhere as a top 3 pick ..If were picking at #1 at a QB? Darnold looks to me, to be the safest bet with his mobility & keeping accuracy as a #1 pick..EDIT-Did watch Lamar Jackson live in Raleigh,NC..Just whisper No!! HueJax 

5 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I don't get to watch much PAC12 football, but I'll be sure to watch UCLA vs USC tomorrow night. (Josh Rosen vs Sam Darnold)

I'm really looking forward to this game.

Then again, I was really looking forward to last Saturday night's game too... And my Irish forgot to show up. :angry:

42 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

went back to look at what Goff/Wentz slotted at when Drafted? That QB dollar should be hard to pass on anywhere as a top 3 pick ..If were picking at #1 at a QB? Darnold looks to me, to be the safest bet with his mobility & keeping accuracy as a #1 pick..EDIT-Did watch Lamar Jackson live in Raleigh,NC..Just whisper No!! HueJax 

Darnold=Matt Leinert.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Darnold=Matt Leinert.

Great..Hoorta, you may have a new tag team partner not named Mitchell in this years draft..Gip, Matt Leinart was a lefty. Tossing dump offs to guys like Reggie Bush & Lendale White fattening up Leinart's stat line..Darnold is tossing it around, to as many as 8 players that are soon to be uber drivers trying to get thru school..

8 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

I have to watch tape of him but i like that type of DE who could also DT and 5 tech. In our 4-3 that kind of LDE to me is a perfect counter to garrets more speed rushing RDE. This is why i was high on that schult kid in ore season cause he was more of that run stopping power rushing type that i like. 

If this phillips kid is as good ad that scouting report suggests he coyld be interesting. A power DE that can easily slide inside and sub in at DT. 

Archived