THE BROWNS BOARD

The Browns could land a damaged Andrew Luck for the right price.

SkippinTurtles

1 hour ago, boo fagley said:

Awesome, you have a 49% chance at winning a Super Bowl.

A cursory list - Brady has 5, E Manning has 2, Ben has 2, Wilson has 1, Flacco has 1, Rodgers  has 1, Elway has 2. Over the last 15 years the team that drafted its QB has won the Super Bowl.

Eli Manning was drafted by the then San Diego Chargers. It was a hell of a moment to forget about it. 

eli-manning-chargers04.jpg

See the enthusiasm? 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Awesome, you have a 49% chance at winning a Super Bowl.

A cursory list - Brady has 5, E Manning has 2, Ben has 2, Wilson has 1, Flacco has 1, Rodgers  has 1, Elway has 2. Over the last 15 years the team that drafted its QB has won the Super Bowl.

Peyton Manning was not drafted by the Broncos.....Colts

Drew Brees was not drafted by the Saints....Chargers

Eli Manning was not drafted by the Giants....Chargers

Brad Johnson was not drafted by the Bucs....Vikings

So you are factually, demonstrably wrong.

And you included Elway....he was not drafted by the Broncos....Colts

And if you are going back....none of these SB winners won with the team that drafted them:

Dilfer

Warner

Young

Favre

Williams

Plunkett

Unitas

Dawson

Theisman

3 hours ago, boo fagley said:

I follow along just fine.

Apparently not so much

The person that I responded to was extolling the virtues of a Stanford education as if it is some factor playing QB in the NFL. When in fact playing at Stanford doe not amount to a hill of beans.Just like playing at Harvard. Luck is never going to be Elway. Elway was a winner his whole career going back to Pop Warner. Luck might be the next Jim Plunkett, but Im not betting a dollar that he will be.

Notre Dame is not a QB factory either. A Notre Dame interception looks just like a Stanford interception, though 1 cost more.

I was taking the whole football factor out of it.  Sure....a guy that went to Stanford (see Browns #1 overall QB Bobby Garrett) may not have any advantage at playing QB than a guy that went to North Dakota St.

But the fact is....academically speaking, Stanford is right at the top of the pinnacle of education in this country (which makes it there for the entire world).

While technically accurrate, Gip, many on your list violate the spirit of the discussion, e.g., E. Manning, who never played with the team that drafted him. And many others are simply journeymen who fell into te right situation and/or had a career year. Even P. Manning won one for his original team, so at minimum bsides falling into the right situation he counts on both sides of the argument.

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Interesting I've been thinking along the same lines of 1st overall and a 2nd rounder. It's a deeper class than anyone we have now in that position.

EDITL: However if Allen is there to pick in the 2nd, please use it on a WR, FS or some other position of greater need.:P

First, not sure how you'll know Allen will be there in the 2nd when you are picking #1 overall...

Second, you just may like my "Way Too Early" mock... or at least Round 1.

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

On the other hand not even that unless anybody here sees Andrew Luck as being a crafty old veteran who could mentor our high draft pick.

Rather than the guy that never lived up to the hype that he actually is.

Not really a fair assessment. Kid had a lot to do with the three 11-5 seasons the Colts posted in his first three years. We know this since about the same Manningless team went 2-14 to win the Luck Lottery.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Or  Rudolph/Falk?

Not for me... just not anywhere near the same quality IMO. Not even near anywhere near...

18 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

While technically accurrate, Gip, many on your list violate the spirit of the discussion, e.g., E. Manning, who never played with the team that drafted him. And many others are simply journeymen who fell into te right situation and/or had a career year. Even P. Manning won one for his original team, so at minimum bsides falling into the right situation he counts on both sides of the argument.

Yes, I know...both Elway and Eli never played for the teams that drafted them...trade right away....and that Peyton did win one for the Colts.  Still, like you said....overall it is an accurate list

Not for me... just not anywhere near the same quality IMO. Not even near anywhere near...

Well, that's like just your opinion man!  It may be right, it may be wrong.  God knows the the only Sure Thing is that Nicollette Sheridan will put out.

maxresdefault.jpg

On the other hand....it does not look like she has aged all that well:

nicollette-sheridan-no-makeup-unrecogniz

Yup.... my opinion... 100%.

And yeah... not well at all, but she wasn't all that to begin with... especially for a tit man like yourself.

8 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Nice try, but Manning refused to play for SD and never took a snap there.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/new-york-giants-san-diego-chargers-eli-manning-philip-rivers-trade-2004-120915

But he was DRAFTED by them. You were talking about teams that drafted their franchise QB and won a Superbowl. Well, Manning wasn't drafted by the Giants. 

5 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Who cares? Princeton, Yale and Columbia are ranked higher.

And which of them has a sports program that plays at a high level? (btw  in the US New ranking, it is 1 Princeton 2. Harvard 3. Univ. of Chicago 4. Yale  5. Stanford    (Cornell #14)  Forbes has Stanford #2 after Harvard.

Again, who is out there pining for Ryan Fitzpatrick because he graduated from Harvard?

No one...and that is not the point you pinhead.

5 hours ago, boo fagley said:

I appreciate you grasping at straws in an attempt to show that youre not wrong.

Its no grasp...it is just bare, bold facts.

E Manning and J Elway never took a single snap for the Chargers or Colts and were draft day trades. The facts speak for themselves.

Yes....the FACTS are that Manning and Elway were not drafted by the Giants or Broncos.  They traded for them.  Beyond that....those trades did not take place actually on draft day...but a few days later.

The current trend in this day and age and not leather helmet days is that finding your own QB and drafting him is route to go. Just ask Brady, Ben, Rodgers, Wilson, Flacco. Drafted players Newton, Ryan, Kapernick, Mcnabb, Bledsoe, Mcnair, Hasselbeck all made it Super Bowls.

Even when you make a somewhat valid point...you still fuyuck it up.  Hasselbeck was drafted by the Packers and spent 2 years there before going to the Seahawks.

Trying to hit the used QB powerball rarely pans out. Throwing away draft picks on a overrated Andy Luck would be a mistake. Its clear by now who he is. 

I don't know about "rare"....what do you consider "rare".   It has happened enough times even in the last 25 years to it not be considered "rare".  

And I am not advocating a trade for Luck....all I am saying is that the Browns have drafted an number of QBs...and they have all pretty much sucked. 

Think about it....the guys that have looked halfway decent for the Browns the last 18 years:   Hoyer,  Anderson, Holcomb......NONE drafted by the Browns. All acquired in some other manner. 

I am simply pointing out that there is another way beyond the draft to get a QB that might in fact be halfway decent.

Not trying to be a jerk here but just an honest question. 

Who was better at Stanford- Andrew Luck or Kevin Hogan? 

Only legit responses please, save the horseshit.

41 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Not trying to be a jerk here but just an honest question. 

Who was better at Stanford- Andrew Luck or Kevin Hogan? 

Only legit responses please, save the horseshit.

"Luck set a new Stanford record for career touchdown passes with 82, set a record of 10,387 career total offense yards, also became Stanford's all-time leader in winning percentage by a starting quarterback, with a winning percentage of .816 (31–7). Luck broke the Pac-12 records for career passing efficiency rating (162.8) and career completion percentage (67.0%). He also broke his own Pac-12 record for highest completion percentage in a season (71.3%). Luck was named Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week for his performance against Washington State. He earned the 2011 Academic All-America of the Year award."

"Hogan ended his career with a 65.9% completion percentage,[26] 9,385 passing yards,[27] 75 passing touchdowns,[28] and a school-record 15 rushing touchdowns. His 1,249 rushing yards is the most by a Stanford quarterback, and includes four of the top seven seasons in that category. His combined total offense of 10,634 yards is also a school record, and his career passing efficiency of 154.6 is second only to Andrew Luck, and he holds three of Stanford's top 10 seasons in both categories. He earned second All-Pac12 honors."

The TD-INT ratio is abysmal in favour of Luck, and the QB rating too. 

That's pretty close however you look at it, Hogan got them to and almost won three rose bowl championships. That's pretty good is what I'm saying. 

He won a lot of games. He's a winner, his 67.8% completion percentage was 2nd in the Pac-10 and 6th in the country, and his average 8.2 yards per play led the conference and was third in the country. He accurate and makes big plays. In his chances he had to play he did really well to earn the start but honestly that start was a total trap. Hue probably started Hogan because he knew it was gonna be a blowout. Imagine what would have happened to Kizer that game. 

Hogan got injured also and although Hogan said he was a little sore but could go on, Hue set him up to run the ball and take a shot in the injured ribs... he fumbled and hasn't played since. Hue said himself that he knows that wasn't Hogan's best performance and he would like to redeem himself but know that he's injured he can't. Then Hogan gets healthy and Hue settles on a still underperforming rookie in Kizer. It's frustrating because Kevin can win games and we just keep on losing. 

30 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Sorry Poe, but Hogan is not the guy either. Decent backup but nothing more.

I want the Browns to win and that is going to take a stud to sustain longevity in this NFL. My pal Ghoolie has stated countless time that youre not winning sheet without a QB. He knows of what he speaks.

I may have to ask the Boss to autocorrect Hogan to Schmogan.  :D   

6 hours ago, SkippinTurtles said:

Only QB's who've thrown for 40 TD's in one season:  Manning, Brady, Marino, Brees, Rodgers, Warner, Stafford.  And Andrew Luck.  Who's only 28 and could be throwing to a superstar receiver.  Gordon might stay clean with a chance to play with Luck.  They could be unstoppable for the next 10 years.

What would you offer the Colts to get Luck, ST?

48 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

What would you offer the Colts to get Luck, ST?

It's impossible to say right now. What's the medical prognosis? If he's scheduled to make a full recovery, then that's a big difference. Full recovery means we'd have to give up A LOT...even with the injury concerns. I'm struggling to think of a situation that resembles this, but the only one I can think of is when Drew Brees severely injured his shoulder and his career was literally up in the air. So much so that the Chargers drafted Eli Manning and obviously traded for Rivers. The difference is that Brees wasn't the first overall pick. I assume any deal for Luck would START with a first rounder, right? Obviously not the FIRST pick of ours (which is probably the first overall) but the Texans' pick. 

But I think any talk about Luck is way too premature because his shoulder seems to be a mystery. And it's his THROWING shoulder. Scares me to death. Our franchise, the most beleaguered and tortured team ever, really has to think about making a deal for a guy with a mysterious, severe, shoulder injury. 

19 minutes ago, Nero said:

Would that make him RGV?

RG Deja vu? RG OH NO NOT AGAIN? RG duck! RG ooops, next?

Archived