THE BROWNS BOARD

Darnold vs rosen

Clevfan4life

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a man-crush on Rosen's arm.

Hits people on stride, and with anticipation.

No noticeable flaws in his mechanics, unlike Allen and his shoddy footwork, or Darnold's propensity to drop the ball down to his waist and wind up before throwing.

Injury and possible personality concerns are his bugaboo.

9 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Didnt know any of this

Missed half of last season (sophomore year) with a shoulder injury, which required surgery. Missed a game plus this season with a concussion.

There's been a lot of rumors about him having an "interesting" personality, one that can rub some people the wrong way.

But man, the kid has a helluva arm. Just made a laser throw right on the money on a crossing route.

Rosen has the northern air zip on ball with stride location. Did not like the Rosen caught in middle of whine up on fumble..but Darnold in the damp north may fumble 40 times carrying ball downstairs with 1 hand,,sorry Gip, who knew Reggie Bush may still live in USC backfield?  

1 minute ago, gumby73 said:

Rosen has the northern air zip on ball with stride location. Did not like the Rosen caught in middle of whine up on fumble..but Darnold in the damp north may fumble 40 times carrying ball downstairs with 1 hand,,sorry Gip, who knew Reggie Bush may still live in USC backfield?  

I can tell I've been on this board for a little bit when I can decipher what you say... :lol:

At first I was like: "What the hell in northern air zip?"

Rosen seems to have more zip on his passes.  He seems built like Goff and puts big numbers up,  I think he'd be fine.   Throws some really nice balls, right on the money in stride.  Darnold seemed to scramble better and didn't seem to have same command of the offense. But they're both solid. 

Saw Kirk Herbstreit talking about the game and his opinion is that Darnold needs  another year because he runs out of the pocket if his primary is not open (happy feet), but that Rosen, even though his team lost, is NFL ready and has the potential to be right there with the very best who have come into the league the last few years. I have to say I agree. Rosen is excellent at hanging in with pocket presence and awareness while going through progressions and has a quick, accurate release. The guy leads his team.

PS-and there was one really great downfield pass where it looked like he was throwing right at the DB when in fact he was anticipating exactly where his receiver would be before he made his cut or looked back for the ball. The pass was right on the money in front of the deeper DB and high into the receiver's hands as he looked up and cut to his left to make the catch.

You can't see the cut here but you can see the DB making the hit from directly behind the reception point. 3rd and long PA pass.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Saw Kirk Herbstreit talking about the game and his opinion is that Darnold

"Darnold needs another season. Rosen is more NFL ready... and it's not even close." - Kirk Herbstreet

Herbie nailed it.

Rosen will declare.

We will have our QB...

BOOK IT!

I'm so close to being on the Rosen bandwagon. I have my ticket punched and my bags are already stowed away, but...

the off-field personality rumblings about Rosen worry me. I need to find out more about the kid (his choice of head-bands, though, are on point). Is he free-spirited? Someone who speaks his mind, instead of the usual mindless drone who quotes from the Crash Davis list of acceptable answers? I'm fine with that. The history of the NFL is littered with high-spirited, successful QBs.

Or is he the QB version of Indians pitcher Trevor Bauer, a guy notorious for being a know-it-all who can be uncoachable?

sign me up for the Rosen train. He looked so much better all around than Darnold last night. IMOP, it's very clear, Darnold can make things happen when outside of the pocket and is a much better athlete, but it just felt as though it was controlled chaos out of him. He had a lot of bailing from the pocket the first sign of pressure. Did anyone see the stat that showed Darnold has thrown 2 interceptions OUTSIDE of the pocket and 10 interceptions INSIDE the pocket?! that's very alarming to me. I know he lost an influx of talent but that just seems to be out whack for a player of his caliber. All this being said, they are both going to be very good qb's in the future. I think they both have the "it" factor as well. I wouldn't mind either one, but Rosen is the pick for me. I think his "personality" issues has a lot do with maturity and growing up. A lot of what he said is what many people think about college FB. He just shouldn't be the one to say it. 

Also, for the better part of this year, I was hoping Kizer would end up showing the browns that he was the man in the final 7 games of the year showing the Browns they do not need to take a qb in the top of the draft. Now I'm still hoping, as I think he has tons of potential and has already improved a ton since the beginning of the year, but I'm starting to think that it wouldn't be a horrible idea that if the browns are really that bad, to draft Rosen or Darnold and let them compete it out. Yes, there is potential that your top 3 draft pick could be sitting but this is exactly how the Browns have played it. They want tons of draft picks to create loads of competition. The more volume, the more chances you have at success. They will still have a first round pick to grab whomever else plus they could potentially have plus  2 very young qb's to groom with starting potential. Play it out and eventually trade the other. It sounds like a headache could ensue but this screams moneyball scenario. Think about it, two potential franchise qb's, under cheap contracts for the next 4-5 years? Not to mention, I think they are players in FA this winter. 

One thing not mentioned so far as Rosen's eyes.

While he doesn't have those "maniacal killer eyes" I wrote about admiring in Tom Brady a couple days ago, on the field he has the next best thing... "Soulless Killer Eyes". Those eyes that don't overtly threaten, but by virtue of masking whatever the guy is thinking still say "walk away" whenever you meet them in real life.

Reminds me of Aaron Rodgers' eyes. Also does his own lil TD celebration ala Rodgers...

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

the off-field personality rumblings about Rosen worry me.

Well... Rosen's a liberal, so he's clearly unsuited in Trump-world to be our QB. But look beyond his political stands and you'll see a teammate.

The article on/interview with him posted weeks ago had one thing I still remember. When he arrived at UCLA and asked the locker room manager where his locker was the reply he received was, "Over there with the other QBs."

Rosen's response: "Can we move it so I'm with the OL?"

Speaks volumes...

6 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Well... Rosen's a liberal, so he's clearly unsuited in Trump-world to be our QB. But look beyond his political stands and you'll see a teammate.

No worries, a lot of kids are stupid when they are very young and inexperienced with life. Some of them grow out of it.

:lol:

WSS

18 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

No worries, a lot of kids are stupid when they are very young and inexperienced with life. Some of them grow out of it.

Or... according to the  2016 demographics... grow into it. :)

Well, I purposely waited to chime in here until some of you gave your opinions based on actually seeing the kids with your own eyes. Like most, or at least some know, I've seen everyone of each kid's snaps and I have liked Rosen a lot since seeing his first series some years ago.

I don't dislike Darnold by any means, but for me, Rosen just looks like what I believe a 'prototypical' NFL QB should look like.... Body type, pocket awareness/elusiveness, arm strength, and most importantly; accuracy, touch and anticipation.  

The "attitude" stories that are floating around the interwebs is a non-story, at least here in SoCal anyway, so I guess they need to be taken with a grain of salt depending on the reporting source and their agenda. The only attitude story that was reported by the local media this year was around opening day when Josh said something about the NCAA vs players and money?? I'm sure someone will post up a link or two.....

So from what I know by just sitting on my couch and watching each kid, I would take Rosen all day over Darnold....... but if Sam somehow fell to me I could certainly live with that too. 

But since in 4 months we'll be signing Kirk Cousins to the richest contract in NFL history, this is all pretty much useless jibber-jabber. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

One thing not mentioned so far as Rosen's eyes.

While he doesn't have those "maniacal killer eyes" I wrote about admiring in Tom Brady a couple days ago, on the field he has the next best thing... "Soulless Killer Eyes". Those eyes that don't overtly threaten, but by virtue of masking whatever the guy is thinking still say "walk away" whenever you meet them in real life.

Reminds me of Aaron Rodgers' eyes. Also does his own lil TD celebration ala Rodgers...

The article on/interview with him posted weeks ago had one thing I still remember. When he arrived at UCLA and asked the locker room manager where his locker was the reply he received was, "Over there with the other QBs."

Rosen's response: "Can we move it so I'm with the OL?"

Speaks volumes...

Yes it does.   Something I noticed last night as well was after one of the drives ended with a field goal, seeing him on the field meeting the kicking unit as they  came off the field.  Lots of QB's do that and it's not a huge deal, but to me that's someone who's a good teammate and invested in the game.

Archived