THE BROWNS BOARD

Prop 8 Upheld in Cali Supreme Court

Guest mz.

The California Supreme Court today upheld Proposition 8's ban on same-sex marriage but also ruled that gay couples who wed before the election will continue to be married under state law.

The decision virtually ensures another fight at the ballot box over marriage rights for gays. Gay rights activists say they may ask voters to repeal the marriage ban as early as next year, and opponents have pledged to fight any such effort. Proposition 8 passed with 52% of the vote.

via here.

Can you explain why two people who you don't know or will never meet being allowed to have a wedding you'll never attend or hear about is such a terrible thing?

Yeah! Screw those fags and their desire for equal rights! :rolleyes:

(I added the :rolleyes: to make sure you knew is was kidding)

But Gay people do have equal rights.

They can marry any consenting, unmarried adult of the opposite sex. Just like straight people can.

It's not an equal rights issue. It's more about redefining marriage in the eyes of the law, which is different than marriage in the eyes of any particular religion.

But Gay people do have equal rights. They can marry any consenting, unmarried adult of the opposite sex. Just like straight people can.

Ha.

I'm just looking at it the way the legal system is going to be required to look at it.

I don't know how I feel on the issue, but it is important for everyone to remember that there is an issue of seperating church from state, as the legal definition from marriage has always been different and seperate from the religious views of marriage.

But Gay people do have equal rights.

They can marry any consenting, unmarried adult of the opposite sex. Just like straight people can.

It's not an equal rights issue. It's more about redefining marriage in the eyes of the law, which is different than marriage in the eyes of any particular religion.

It is really about money.

The only real thing gays can't do as a norm concern matters of insurance and taxes. Everything else can happen for them.

They have equal rights.

can they file jointly?

uh huh.....

can they get insurance thru their spouses employer?

uh huh.....

this is discrimination based on gender......

yes, they can, just like anyone else can with their legally recognized spouse. They can enter a legal marriage and get the same benefits as anyone else.

Gender? huh?

Don't worry "choco" you and mz the pussy can move to Maine and get hitched. :lol:

Yes. Because in order to care about how gays are treated in society you have to be gay yourself.

You're very smart and not-at-all self-serving to the max.

Here's the :rolleyes:, you know, just in case.......

you just said....except for taxes and insurance.

so no, they dont.

Right...and in another post somewhere on here I said that was easy to fix.

It doesn't take marriage to do that.

I know some of you want the world void of God......well, that won't work, and this is a Nation under God....or so it was.

Really...I am at the point I think this country needs to split up. The divides are too great because we are talking about beliefs. They transcend law's of any land.

Serious question, would you be concerned if this country split in to 2-3 countries??

If so, why??

So it was God who said fags can't marry???

Forget it kid. You are simply interested in smack talk. I just don't have the time for you.

Forget it kid. You are simply interested in smack talk. I just don't have the time for you.

It was a serious question. I want to know who is making the rules around here.

But whatever.

It was a serious question. I want to know who is making the rules around here.

But whatever.

Right...God makes all the rules my friend.

I hope some day that becomes apparent to you.

Right...God makes all the rules my friend.

I hope some day that becomes apparent to you.

Well then...guess there's no room for debate there.

You lifted Cals balls and there it was!!!!

"Seeing the light" and "looking directly into the light" are different things.

BTW isn't it ironic how the "will of the people " shifts from bad to good depending on what you want?

I'm not claiming the vote was unfair or anything, Steve. The people have had their say, and I happen to disagree with the way it went down. So what.

So they followed the rule of law, get over it. For once a judge actually followed the state of California's constitution. Unlike what we are getting ready to see when Obama appoints Sotomayor to the supremes.

There are greater things in life to bitch about and this is not one of them.

Nobody's bitching about the CA SCt judges' ruling, T (which happens to be 100% correct IMO), but rather the implications of the November vote.

Archived