THE BROWNS BOARD

Should we draft a quarterback 1st overall?

Louisville Slugger

Mistakes happen but we make them over and over. The Peppers pick is turning out to be just terrible. Here's a first round pick that literally had zero impact stats. He's basically done nothing. 

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/21/2017 at 1:25 AM, Tour2ma said:

Alex Smith via trade has been an option I've favored exploring. KC is heading towards a cap crisis that will make Alex very affordable in trade terms. ANd his $20mm+ 2018 contract is not a cap problem for us.

That said... in answer to your titled question...

Hell, yes we should draft a QB #1 overall... and his name is Rosen.

I like the idea of trading for smith, and I like the idea of drafting Rosen. 

Doing both doesn’t seem likely unless sashi was serious about being aggressive to find the QB.  As I see it, trading for smith is the route the Browns take if they believe Kizer can develop into a starter. Pay smith Big bucks for the next 2-3 years and then let Kizer take over when he’s 24 years old and hope he’s the answer. 

To obtain Rosen and smith would at the very least cost both first round picks and another mid round pick, which is absolutely worth it, but I’m not sure the Browns will be willing to invest that much of their draft capital into one position.

I certainly would not complain about a QB depth chart of Smith, Rosen, Kizer.

54 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Mistakes happen but we make them over and over. The Peppers pick is turning out to be just terrible. Here's a first round pick that literally had zero impact stats. He's basically done nothing. 

Peppers is a bust.  He should be cut.

3 hours ago, Tacosman said:

of course it could be.  And it's possible peppers could become a better safety eventually than prime ronnie lott. It's not likely though.  Again, we are talking about a 2nd year qb who may very well win the nfl mvp in his second year.  Mistakes happen, but that was a damn big one.

HMM you do realize Ronnie Lotts prime was his first year in the NFL  when he not only made the Pro Bowl but was also 1st team All Pro.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:14 AM, The Gipper said:

Kizer really is not ready

Wishful thinking. He'll never be ready. Kizer is a bust.

"He's still young"  is not an excuse for overthrowing,  throwing in the dirt, or unable to throw in stride to where  the receiver has to contort his body to catch a ball giving him no time to do anything after the catches it. --- That is the opinion of Jim Donovan heard on KNR talking to Tony Rizzo.

Never mind about learning to play QB at a higher level, he looks like he's never played the position before and is trying to learn it.

Terelle Pryor would have been a much better QB for the browns.

17 hours ago, StinkHole said:

"He's still young"  is not an excuse for overthrowing,  throwing in the dirt, or unable to throw in stride to where  the receiver has to contort his body to catch a ball giving him no time to do anything after the catches it. --- That is the opinion of Jim Donovan heard on KNR talking to Tony Rizzo.

Never mind about learning to play QB at a higher level, he looks like he's never played the position before and is trying to learn it.

Well....OK, maybe.  He does have moments of brilliance...but then he has those other moments such as mentioned.  So who knows if he will ever be a top flight QB.  I would not bank on him...and would still try to go after someone else.

18 hours ago, StinkHole said:

Kosar was about the same age -BUT- with way more experience in college, surrounded by a better NFL team, maybe better everything including drive and ability. 

To totally judge Kizer now is difficult to do the jury is still way out on that one, potential maybe, I think so......with this band of gypsies who knows if we'll ever really know, if he survives this season.  Name me one other NFL quarterback past or present in his exact situation right off hand, how'd they do?

I get a feeling both darnold and Rosen will stay in school next year.  I am not really counting on them. If Rosen does come out and we draft him he will be a bitch like when Eli manning got drafted.

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

UCLA has officially hired Chip Kelly to be their next head coach.

Not that there was much of a chance that Rosen was coming back for a senior year, but I can't see him in Kelly's offense.

I saw enough or Rosen against Cal before he got hurt to say- "he's the real deal". Made throws (including a perfect fade to the corner of the end zone, loop passes over dropping LBs, and hit crossing patters dead on the money) that Kizer can only dream about making. I only question his top end mobility- saw him take a couple sacks because he looked "slow". 

And if he wants to pull an Eli Manning- we extort the living daylights out of whoever wants him and take Mayfield. 

15 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

I get a feeling both darnold and Rosen will stay in school next year.  I am not really counting on them. If Rosen does come out and we draft him he will be a bitch like Eli manning got drafted.

We'll know by January 15th. If the Browns have the 1st overall, and say "we're taking you" find out soon enough. 

8 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

Taking any QB out of this upcoming draft #1 scares the hell out of me. There's so many red flags for a lot of them. Rosen, Allen, D'Arnold, even Mayfield scares me at freaking #1. Lamar Jackson I think is the safest and most athletic out of this draft class. He might be the only QB i'd take at #1. 

Actually strike that. Pick freaking Barkley #1 and then pick a QB with our second first round pick. Mayfield should drop because of the crotch incident. 

1 hour ago, stillmotion said:

yup

Tim Tebow thinks the Mayfield trashing is cowpoop and the kid is special.

Tim Tebow most likely thinks the world is 6000 years old and is a 30 year old virgin, so.... :lol:

In all seriousness, it is going to be very entertaining to see draft scouts debate Mayfield. He's going to be polarizing.

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Tim Tebow most likely thinks the world is 6000 years old and is a 30 year old virgin, so.... :lol:

In all seriousness, it is going to be very entertaining to see draft scouts debate Mayfield. He's going to be polarizing.

Tebow worked out with mayfield and I believe what he said about making a system a QB can suceed in is true. Sign Barkley and Mayfield, dump Crow, and start making plays.

I can't do this. Not now. The season is all but over and we are talking about the Shmucking draft? Are you kidding me? So yes let's draft a qb, let him sit on the bench for 2 years to learn, then release him and draft another one and let him sit on the bench...........This is a sure as fuk Sheet show. I don't mean to disrespect another Browns fan but I am over this looking forward to the draft. How many draft picks have we had that are ever worth a pint of piss? Until they start playing better and WINNING, I wont give a Sheet about any draft. I don't care if Manning comes here to tickle Haslam's balls. Shut up and win. just WIN them maybe I will care who the coach or president of football opp is (I still think that is a pointless job, ) So spare me we are a young team and the players are learning. I been hearing that since we came back in 1999. The FO we have now couldn't even get us a freaking KICKER! That is how bad this FO is.

1 hour ago, LBC mike said:

So does Mayfield male his team better or does he have a good supporting cast?

Coaching always matters. Sooners did a smart thing to go get OC Lincoln Riley from ECU before Stoops retired. Riley is so damn young but if he wants the NFL game, he has the offensive mind for it..Take a look at Mayfield's stat line when Riley was first brought in, in 2015-16 as OC/QB coach..Now in 17, Baker is blowing Riley's system up, in Riley's 1st head coaching season.      

8 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Taking any QB out of this upcoming draft #1 scares the hell out of me. There's so many red flags for a lot of them. Rosen, Allen, D'Arnold, even Mayfield scares me at freaking #1. Lamar Jackson I think is the safest and most athletic out of this draft class. He might be the only QB i'd take at #1. 

Then boo hoo. Wentz had questions, so did Watson. Sooner pun intended- or later, you have to pull the trigger. Lamar Jackson might be Michael Vick- he might be RG III. 

6 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Then boo hoo. Wentz had questions, so did Watson. Sooner pun intended- or later, you have to pull the trigger. Lamar Jackson might be Michael Vick- he might be RG III. 

True that, i'd take the upside with Mayfield and Barkley too. My gut really tells me Rosen will be a bust.

How many sub 80 yd games does barkley have on the season? IMO Him at #1 is insane.  Maybe if a guy was getting 150+ yds a game it'd be worth considering,  but Cmon.  

The most important position is qb.  They've failed to draft a blue chip qb since 1999. They need to take a shot here. 

11 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

So baker is the blue chip?

At this point, any qb at #1 is preferred over another #22 pick or an over drafted 5th rounder. 

Rosen plays on a garbage team and runs a more pro style offense.  If mayfield totally crushes the combine and the playoffs,  maybe he'll move up. The big 12 is an offense only division it seems like.  

4 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

Rosen plays on a garbage team and runs a more pro style offense.  If mayfield totally crushes the combine and the playoffs,  maybe he'll move up. The big 12 is an offense only division it seems like.  

Rosen plays in a pro style offense and has arguably the best arm out of the draft, but from my intel he's the biggest headcase, immature, and in my opinion, has the highest probability of busting. It should be a red flag to you guys that majority UCLA fans hate Rosen, his former head coach had negative things to say about him, AFC scouts said negative things about him, christ even his high school coach had negative things to say about him. I've read plenty of articles, and the one I read where that Rosen "cared about owning the world more than football". "I have connections that will do me well in life," Rosen said. "I will be OK without football. https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/unfiltered-josh-rosen-speaks-out-about-indentured-servitude-of-college-football/

In my opinion, he comes off as a spoiled entitled brat, and the real life Bo Callahan.

Baker has HIGH UPSIDE. Like Tebow said, if you tailor a spread offense to him like how Houston did with Watson, he'll absolutely kill it. At least Baker plays with passion and finds a way to win. Has Rosen fired up his whole team and led them to victory after victory? You can go ahead and make excuses for him, but one QB is a leader, and the other one has lots of potential, but danger too.

So the undersized  qb who gets tackled by the cops is less of a red flag? I think not. Manziels history will hurt mayfield i think.  Nobody wants jff 2.0

UCLA is not a good team. They're not going to win a ton of games in that division.  Their coach got fired before the season was even done. 

Like others have pointed out,  can mayfield read defenses and play under center? I don't know. I love watching him play,  but he seems to be a huge gamble.  

Archived