THE BROWNS BOARD

College Coaches Going To NFL

darren15

If the Browns do ditch Jackson what would be your preferred replacement ....a former head coach out of work, an OC/DC with another team or a college coach ? .....college coaches have had a poor success rate in the NFL but I think there is one out there that would be great for us Gus Malzahn at  Auburn ...... he would definitely be on my short list of replacements along with the usual ex head coaches and OC's/DC's with other teams ...Malzahn is an offensive minded coach who's team has shown real flair in adopting his style, a no nonsense coach with great offensive ideas....... he is just as strong a candidate as anyone in my opinion....The big question is would he leave Auburn to join our dysfunctional franchise .... probably not

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Most college coaches, I believe, don't fit.

See:  Chip Kelly.    Nick Saban.  Steve Spurrier.

Some few may.   Harbaugh, Carroll.    Most. Not.

What about Butch Davis? I always considered him to be a real good game day coach. GM...not so much. Talent wise though, he won with smoke and mirrors......like a good football coach should

1 hour ago, flyingfooldoug said:

What about Butch Davis? I always considered him to be a real good game day coach. GM...not so much. Talent wise though, he won with smoke and mirrors......like a good football coach should

Well....I don't know how well Butch did with his college gigs once he left here.   He coached North Carolina I believe.

And, in checking, he left there in like 2010 after 3-4 years...and since 2010 his only job in football was as an "advisor" to the Tampa Bay Bucs...whatever that means.

Until this year when he took the HC job at Florida Internation Univ.   

Quite a downgrade, fair to say?

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Well....I don't know how well Butch did with his college gigs once he left here.   He coached North Carolina I believe.

And, in checking, he left there in like 2010 after 3-4 years...and since 2010 his only job in football was as an "advisor" to the Tampa Bay Bucs...whatever that means.

Until this year when he took the HC job at Florida Internation Univ.   

Quite a downgrade, fair to say?

Or enjoying the easy life. He did pretty well at NC but got run out over academics. He got paid handsomely there too. Downgrade? Maybe it's a choice. But he did coach the best years we had since 99.   Hue seems to coach like Romeo and look like Fester.  Gotta dig deep to find anything fun about this team.

Well, from my view, Butch had the best potential of any HC we have had since '99.  

But....here again, Front Office dysfunction caused him to have to take over both the HC and GM position.    Part of that dysfunction was of course the death of Al Lerner....and the resignation of Carmen Policy.   Ergo...you had Randy Lerner steering the ship.......and his navigational skills were just a step below Gilligan's.  That is why Butch had to step in and become the overall Skipper. And while he may have made a fine Ship's Captain......he sucked as the Commodore of the fleet. 

No Oliver Hazard Perry was he.   He was just the "Hazard".

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, from my view, Butch had the best potential of any HC we have had since '99.  

But....here again, Front Office dysfunction caused him to have to take over both the HC and GM position.    Part of that dysfunction was of course the death of Al Lerner....and the resignation of Carmen Policy.   Ergo...you had Randy Lerner steering the ship.......and his navigational skills were just a step below Gilligan's.  That is why Butch had to step in and become the overall Skipper. And while he may have made a fine Ship's Captain......he sucked as the Commodore of the fleet. 

No Oliver Hazard Perry was he.   He was just the "Hazard"

Ya, GM was too much for him. And it wasn't his fault Manning tanked a game that cost us a playoff spot. 10-6 and sat home.

Of course, one "College" coach that went into pro football did pretty well:

Paul Brown

How many coaches have ever won both a College National Championships AND a pro football title?

PB

Jimmy Johnson

Barry Switzer

Pete Carroll

Others that came close:

finger Vermeil....won SB....had success at UCLA...finished in like Top 5 in nation a couple of times

John Robinson....won College National Championship.....and also coached the Rams in two NFC Championship games...but did not win.

Bobby Ross....won a share of a National Championship...at Georgia Tech.   Also led the San Diego Chargers to their only Super Bowl appearance.

John McKay....won a couple of National titles with USC....and though famous for the 0-26 start of the Tampa Bay Bucs.....he did get that team into the NFC Championship game just a couple of years later in 1979.

Think about Bud Grant.....coached the Vikings to 4 Super Bowls...no wins.   But did win a Grey Cup in the CFL.

Anyone else?

Archived