THE BROWNS BOARD

MLB Draft

Beanpot

I haven't really followed the draft over the years but is it odd to draft a guy in the first round with the thought of making him a bullpen guy?

Wouldn't you rather draft a everyday player or starting pitching. Im guessing part of the decision was not knowing if Adam Miller will be able to come back from surgery or not. But why not start with a starter and if it doesn't work out move him to the bullpen.

I haven't really followed the draft over the years but is it odd to draft a guy in the first round with the thought of making him a bullpen guy?

Wouldn't you rather draft a everyday player or starting pitching. Im guessing part of the decision was not knowing if Adam Miller will be able to come back from surgery or not. But why not start with a starter and if it doesn't work out move him to the bullpen.

Really good questions. When it comes to White, I'm guessing the Indians are looking to get him to the majors ASAP. He apparently has two plus pitches (split fastball and slider) and the organization would rather have him use those in the late innings than spend developmental time on the curve/change/sinker which are desirable for a starter. Have no idea if that's the case or not, just going by scouting reports.

As for drafting guys early with the thought of them pitching out of the pen, it's something that has happened fairly often over the past few years. Huston Street, Chad Cordero, David Aardsma, Chris Perez and Joey Devine are a few examples of relievers drafted in the 1st round in the last six years. Most (all?) of those guys were relievers throughout their college careers, so they're not perfect foils for White, but it at least shows a trend.

BTW, I think you're dead-on when you say part of their decision involves the questions surrounding Miller.

Beanpot

Considering all the pitchers we've been through already, and how little we have in terms of dominant players in the pen, and that White was considered a top 5-10 talent in the draft, I'm fine with the pick. I would've liked a starter too, but I'm pretty excited about having some impact starters (Rondon, De La Cruz), hitters (LaPorta, Weglarz), fielders (Brantley, Valbuena), and hopefully White gives us that as a closer, in the system and pretty close to the majors. I rambled on about timing in some post somewhere, but it looks like Shapiro is finally building a complete team that should actually be able to grow together.

• 2 weeks later...
Kerry Wood is doing his best to answer that question for you.

The Cubs and Tribe were hoping Kerry had some Smoltz in him...he just can't seem to dial it up every night the way Smoltz could after becoming the closer after a very good starting career.

Archived