THE BROWNS BOARD

Apathy Setting In

The Gipper

Its true.  Apathy is setting in.   Yesterday I could not get together with the guys to watch the game.  I had other, more important things to do.  Just making other things a matter of priority over watching the Browns is one particular sign of it.    Then, when I came home I turned the game on briefly, saw the Browns getting hammered by like 2 TDs, then said "Fuyuck This Shizer", and turned the game off to do something else.

So, this Browns organization reaps what it sows.....a fan base that to a great extent may not even want to bother watching your games.   This is on Jimmy, Sashi, Hue.  This is their creation.

Why is it that somehow I get the feeling that these guys do not care at all about the fact that they are alienating their fan base.  As long as the owner is getting his TV revenue....he perhaps does not care that he is losing money on ticket sales and concessions etc.   The GM does not care about winning or losing...only about if he can continue his process....and try to supposedly "win" deals that he makes.    The coach seems oblivious to losing. While he may superficially care....he is getting paid in two years of doing this more that what most of us will make in a lifetime.

THEY seem to have an apathetic attitude toward winning.  Ergo...why should we, the fans, have anything but an apathetic attitude toward the team.?

And just out of curiosity....does anyone know what the local ratings are for the Browns?    I suspect they have seriously deteriorated over the last couple of years.  Deservedly so.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

What if.... Jimmy has someone betting big bucks on the Browns to lose each week? 

:D  You might have a point there.  My guess is Haslem will give this regime one more year.  We traded down picks year one.  We used most of those picks year two.  And WE WILL use all of our picks year 3.  Meaning both #1, #2, and all 3 of our #3.  We need a QB, WRs, and good CBs.  If we don't get those, after next season, the whole regime will be gone. 

35 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Its true.  Apathy is setting in.   Yesterday I could not get together with the guys to watch the game.  I had other, more important things to do.  Just making other things a matter of priority over watching the Browns is one particular sign of it.    Then, when I came home I turned the game on briefly, saw the Browns getting hammered by like 2 TDs, then said "Fuyuck This Shizer", and turned the game off to do something else.

So, this Browns organization reaps what it sows.....a fan base that to a great extent may not even want to bother watching your games.   This is on Jimmy, Sashi, Hue.  This is their creation.

Why is it that somehow I get the feeling that these guys do not care at all about the fact that they are alienating their fan base.  As long as the owner is getting his TV revenue....he perhaps does not care that he is losing money on ticket sales and concessions etc.   The GM does not care about winning or losing...only about if he can continue his process....and try to supposedly "win" deals that he makes.    The coach seems oblivious to losing. While he may superficially care....he is getting paid in two years of doing this more that what most of us will make in a lifetime.

THEY seem to have an apathetic attitude toward winning.  Ergo...why should we, the fans, have anything but an apathetic attitude toward the team.?

And just out of curiosity....does anyone know what the local ratings are for the Browns?    I suspect they have seriously deteriorated over the last couple of years.  Deservedly so.

I think the core of the problem is no one truly knows what the hell this FO is doing. They never explained this process, just talked about it vaguely. Like oh, we'll be good in 2018 and really good in 2019. Sashi's flaw to his core is his overconfidence. He gives off this vibe that he always thinks he's the one who's right no matter what. Sashi, Hue, and even Jimmy don't seem to care that we've won one game in two seasons. They've also done nothing for arguably one of the best fan bases in the world. Sashi and Depo think they're smarter than all of the other NFL Execs by doing things such as trading down and selecting Corey Coleman, Trading down and selecting Peppers and Njoku, and gathering pick after pick. Well, times almost up. Everyone said we were supposed to be competitive next year, but if we bring in a rookie QB, even at #1, how is it possible we even win six games? Us fans, will have to go through the worst record in a 3 year span in football history, and why? Because a few Harvard guys have some secret plan they don't want to talk about that consists of our owner spending one of the bottom tier amounts of money on his salary cap for multiple years.

And for those of you who defend to the core the slightest criticism or analysis of what this current browns organization has done, how are you so sure we'll make such a splash in free agency next year? How are you sure Jimmy, who spends the least on his team for the past few years will drop big money to bring in playmakers? And how are we sure those FA playmakers will want to come here, and that the youngsters we have aren't counting down the days till their rookie contracts are up so they can actually play for a team that wins. None of you are sure, and all of you are guessing about the plan.

Depo and Sashi have changed the Browns from a low-tier NFL team into an NFL farm team full of youngsters to train them to someday be competitive in the NFL. When the Philadelphia 76ers had the high picks, they took Ben Simmons and Joel Embid. They didn't trade down and pick a bunch of mid tier players. The problem I think is that Sashi and Depo were afraid to take a QB high, because if they did and he failed, they'd be fired. That's why we didn't get Watson or Wentz. I'll admit I wasn't excited when I learned a lawyer would be leading this front office, but I was optimistic. At our current record, defending everything they do to a T is insanity.

My dad, lifelong Browns fan no longer turns them on during Sundays. I for one, am not going to put up with 1 win in two years, or 2 or 3 wins next year. Even F#$%ing Tim Tebow said it. "If you pick in the top tier year and year and trade down, you'll never create a winning team").

Sashi and Depo aren't the smartest guys in the world. What have they proven in football? Blind faith is silly, and Sashi should be demoted immediately and someone with football brains instead of a law degree should pick the damn talent.

The worst record in 3 year history, and a chance at winning 3-6 games next year, and (maybe .500) in 2019 and some of you are still viciously defending it.

It's like some of you are battered women, and you keep coming back to that Ex who cheated on you and was a b@$%^, it's just that Ex is named Jimmy Haslam.

I'm betting your post Gip describes a high % of Browns fans..... myself included. I remarked in the Tavern yesterday that I was offered 3 free tickets to this week's Chargers / Browns game and I politely declined as I refuse to give the organization a single penny other than the percentage they get from my DTV NFL Package.

The last Browns gear I purchased was during the Butch era. I almost bought a hat during Pet's 7-3 run, but didn't want to jinx it..... Lord, could you imagine if I made this worse with a jinx?

But yea, apathy has set in for me and with the Rams being back and lighting it up, my apathy is fading away slowly and being replaced with "Who give's a schit....... and when are the Rams on?"

15 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

What does that have to do with this thread?

Go out and research the ratings for the Browns telecasts if you need a task to perform.:P

I'm not here to do your "BITCH' work

16 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

We draft or trade for a quarterback and win two out of three of the first games next season and this dump will be a zoo.

WSS

Ya know, you're probably right. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Well went to hang out with the guys to watch the game at the local Mexican restaurant- fully expecting the Browns to lose. They didn't disappoint me, and it's gotten to the point it doesn't even upset me in the slightest racking up another lopsided loss. Where's the improvement Hue and Sashi? I'm seeing zero progress from game one to game eleven. The stadium will be a ghost town for the last few games. I had always said I'd burn my season tickets rather than sell them to fans of another team- but I finally gave up on that idea. Just couldn't bring myself to waste gas and a total of six hours of driving to watch this garbage. We netted $28 for our $85 face tickets. a few years ago, tickets in our section were selling for $200. BTW, Ravens game, you can get in the building for $6, and 50 yard line club seats are discounted to $115. 

2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

He hijacks because he cares?

Sashi is playing Chess while most here think checkers...

And most of the fans think he's down to the king and a few pawns, and is about to get checkmated..... 

34 minutes ago, hoorta said:

And most of the fans think he's down to the king and a few pawns, and is about to get checkmated..... 

Yup... no denying that's what most folks think.

Thank, God I am not one of you.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Why is it that somehow I get the feeling that these guys do not care at all about the fact that they are alienating their fan base.

Because your feelings are not trustworthy?

No way is it a matter of not caring. It's accepted because they understand that what they are putting on the field is very hard to love. They know that only winning will bring back the fans... that only winning will bring back the love.

But they also believe, as a few of us here do, that they are on the right path... even though it is more painful journey than they anticipated. They are the ones starting to formulate our Big Board. They are the ones with one eye down the road. And they are dedicated to not just bringing back the love in the near term, but sustaining it for the long haul.

Here is the thing to remember................ football is funded by fans.........fanatics........................people, you, me, all of us, who continue to buy the sports product without any regard to common sense, or reasoning that applies to other purchases in our lives.

WSS hit the nail on the head and I think this is a wake-up reality check for anyone who thinks Browns fans are somehow special or different from other fans. The Steelers once couldn't draw jack, if they go 3 - 13 they again won't draw jack, just like the current Browns aren't drawing jack.

Haslam is no dummy, and none of the other owners are either. A winning team erases all the doom and gloom, it erases woes about how we no longer have a lifetime winning record...blah blah blah............... it even eliminates the opposing fans who say...YOU SUCK..............because once you are winning there is no insult in saying to us.........YOU SUCKED LAST YEAR............nobody cares about last year............do you? Of course nor.

If a team could destroy it's fan base by sucking, no financial interest with a lick of sense would buy an NFL franchise. However frustrated Haslam is, he still has the upper hand.............he knows that some wins will bring the party back to a full boil and all the pain will be forgotten. Can you imagine the Browns winning a SB? You think 1999 was a celebration?

Apathy? Yeah, sure, some of us are taken by it, but we remain here. Will some fans decide to call it quits? Sure, but a fan base has never been a static body. People have always come and gone. You win, you get new fans, you get some former fans back.

This team, and franchise suck as bad as the New Orleans Aint's......but really, do we ever hear fans and announcers talking about those days? Of course not, because they don't lose any more.

As horrible as the Browns experience has been....as Steve pointed out, a win streak and all is forgotten.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Not me T.............. I think he's playing Candy Land. :ph34r:

5 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Here is the thing to remember................ football is funded by fans.........fanatics........................people, you, me, all of us, who continue to buy the sports product without any regard to common sense, or reasoning that applies to other purchases in our lives.

WSS hit the nail on the head and I think this is a wake-up reality check for anyone who thinks Browns fans are somehow special or different from other fans. The Steelers once couldn't draw jack, if they go 3 - 13 they again won't draw jack, just like the current Browns aren't drawing jack.

Haslam is no dummy, and none of the other owners are either. A winning team erases all the doom and gloom, it erases woes about how we no longer have a lifetime winning record...blah blah blah............... it even eliminates the opposing fans who say...YOU SUCK..............because once you are winning there is no insult in saying to us.........YOU SUCKED LAST YEAR............nobody cares about last year............do you? Of course nor.

If a team could destroy it's fan base by sucking, no financial interest with a lick of sense would buy an NFL franchise. However frustrated Haslam is, he still has the upper hand.............he knows that some wins will bring the party back to a full boil and all the pain will be forgotten. Can you imagine the Browns winning a SB? You think 1999 was a celebration?

Apathy? Yeah, sure, some of us are taken by it, but we remain here. Will some fans decide to call it quits? Sure, but a fan base has never been a static body. People have always come and gone. You win, you get new fans, you get some former fans back.

This team, and franchise suck as bad as the New Orleans Aint's......but really, do we ever hear fans and announcers talking about those days? Of course not, because they don't lose any more.

As horrible as the Browns experience has been....as Steve pointed out, a win streak and all is forgotten.

It’s true, if we win next year and in 2019 it’ll get everyone to shut the f#%* up. And I hope to god we do.

41 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

No way is it a matter of not caring. It's accepted because they understand that what they are putting on the field is very hard to love. They know that only winning will bring back the fans... that only winning will bring back the love.

But they also believe, as a few of us here do, that they are on the right path... even though it is more painful journey than they anticipated. They are the ones starting to formulate our Big Board. They are the ones with one eye down the road. And they are dedicated to not just bringing back the love in the near term, but sustaining it for the long haul.

But I don't want to wait until my grandkids are 20!

Wow Gip, It was the same way for me yesterday. I had a few other things that I been putting off and it did not have to be done yesterday but I figured why not just get it done. I didn't tune in til well I am not sure but on game day I am ready at 10am if not before. Sad that I don't see any hope for us to win a single game this year. I am shocked that our team still try but every week a we have guys dropping passes when they are wide open,, defensive backs dropping int's missed blocks rb missing holes etc. This should not happen this late in the season and we do it thru every game. 

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Perhaps my feelings  are not trustworthy......but perception can be reality....and if an overwhelming number of the fan base feels the same way....then even if it is unintentional.....the fan base will still feel that THEY ..Jimmy, Sashi, Hue are the ones that are untrustworthy and apathetic to winning or losing.  If you alienate your fan base...intentional or not...they are still alienated.

That is just fuhucking great!..  They know something, yet they can do nothing about it. 

But they also believe, as a few of us here do, that they are on the right path... even though it is more painful journey than they anticipated.

FAith/belief is only relevent in religion.  Fans are all atheists when it comes to wanting their team to win.  We are scientists.  We want demonstrable proof that this FO is on the right track.  Right now  we are of the opinion that these guys are Charlatans and snake oil salesmen. 

Jimmy H. comes off like Jimmy Swaggert.  Sachi is Elmer Gantry.  Hue is Jim Bakker.  Some of us may want them all to go up in flames like David Koresh.

They are the ones starting to formulate our Big Board. They are the ones with one eye down the road. And they are dedicated to not just bringing back the love in the near term, but sustaining it for the long haul.

OK....Keep drinking the KoolAid. I guess we will see if that white substance is actually sugar...or is cyanide.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

He hijacks because he cares?

He just doesn't understand it's football yet. Hue is the one that should learn the game of chess. 

They're still partying in Jacksonville over Stosh's leaving and the 5 years of losing he helped bring them

5 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

No one denies any of that. 

We, you, I, and WSS have lived through halcyon days with the Browns.   And we want (and expect) those days to return.  But what do we do in the mean time when we seem to have no hope. And particularly think of the younger people on here and out there.  It may be too much temptation for them not to FRAK their way into fandom for another team.

So...maybe, Ghoolie...it all lies with you.

You are our only Hope, Obi Won.

Archived