THE BROWNS BOARD

A critique of our edge players run defense...

Clevfan4life

https://www.livestrong.com/article/455371-how-to-get-off-of-a-block-in-football/

that link right there unfortunately doesnt have any video examples. I tried to find some tape of bosa doing this so u guys can see better what im about to talk about. 

Ok. So 2 years ago u all know that i had a raging peen to draft bosa, and not just because of competent pass rushing. He was one of the best run defenders id seen in some time coming out of college, along with mack who i also desperately clamored for the browns to take for the same reason. 

I bring these two guys up because they "excel" at the stack and shed. If u watched the chargers game sunday u might have seen joey throw his arms into tyrone smiths shoulder pads and lock his shoulders out, effectively stopping smith's firward momentum who was trying to drive joey off the edge. That lockout tho does more than stop the ol's momentum, it allows the defender to maintain vision of the play allowing them to diagnose the play better. The really elite run defenders like joey often use one hand to do this because one arm is longer than two (just think about it if that doesnt immediately make sense). This allows them to come off the blocks and participate in the tackle. Even just getting a hand on a runner can allow that crucial nano sec delay which brings the lb'er pursuit into play. 

Now about our guys. If u watch our edge guys, u see that more often than not they are helmet to helmet with the ol. This is not optimal. Ur vision of the play is greatly hampered by another mans grill touching urs. The short of it is if the ol and dl are touching weeners, the ol has essentially done his job...he won. Doesnt mean the dl can never make a play if an ol gets in on him like that, but that occurrence is greatly reduced. 

I beleive our run ranking was where it was because 

1) our interior guys soak up alot of blockers and 

2) the lb'er play of kirksey and collins made up for the edge deficiency. With those two our edge guys just needed to get upfield and disrupt the lanes and that was enough. An all world talent like collibs made up the difference. 

This is a critique of all of our DE's including garrett. He's gotten "vastly" better than his college days where he would get completely swallowed by lineman. He does keep way better spine angle and pad level, but those elbows are still way too bent. Nassib, who's our hest run defender right now....he literally is now initiating the helmet to helmet contact and driving the ol with his legs....but that affords him no vision. I dunno maybe he just realizes he's not strong enough to lock out yet and thats how he makes up for it...i dunno. 

Point is this lack of edge fundamentals has gone on now for a very very very long tome. I was hiwling about krugers shyt poor tech but honestly, i cant think of the last guy who really did this well. "Maybe" sheard? Perhaps tour or tia has an idea if the last edge rusher we had that was sound against the run. I seem to remember some olb'er during mangini's time whom mangini spoke well of in this regard. But suffice to say we prob havent had as sound a guy on the edge as mack or bosa at least since 99 and perhaps even before the move. 

Tour/tia.....u guys are usually the ones who got the tape of different shyt. If u can find a really good clr video of this technique im talking about it prob helps everyone see what me and others have been talking about for awhile. 

I hope this helps, I like this guy's videos.

EDIT: Just saw that it doesn't talk about run defense. Oh well, you can check his other videos anyway.

In other words.....all the Browns had to do was send up the card with Khalil Mack's name on it, and Joey Bosa's name on it. 

How absurdly simple it all seems.

Instead, they traded down for Justin Gilbert, and for Corey Coleman.

The only compensation is that we know that it was not the same FO that made both of those mistakes.  So, Brown's FO Fuyuck is multigenerational.

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

In other words.....all the Browns had to do was send up the card with Khalil Mack's name on it, and Joey Bosa's name on it. 

How absurdly simple it all seems.

Theres more to it than just that. U have to have a stable system these guys can mature in. And many other pueces have to fall into place. But yeah the list of world class players that not only could we have had but were urgent team needs, is mind numbing

2 hours ago, Nero said:

I hope this helps, I like this guy's videos.

EDIT: Just saw that it doesn't talk about run defense. Oh well, you can check his other videos anyway.

1:22

a bullrush so not run defense, but see how he smashes his helmet into the tsckle then bench presses his arms to lockout. That lifts the tackle up above joeys pads, joey wins. Now garrett does this too when he rushes, he hust doesnt do the same in run d. Thats this "speed to power" that u hear the combine stooges talk about. Garrett can explode off the line and convert his leg drive into arm push. But when he has to sit there and take the first blow in edge defense, he cant rely on the off the line burst. 

Archived