THE BROWNS BOARD

Kizer QB Rating

onkyoreceiver

How about his season turnovers? What about his inaccuracy or his lack of touch? Is it any surprise Coleman dropped that pass, probably never in a million years did he expect it to go where it was supposed to, hell- I bet Kizer was even surprised. A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. Sorry but 1 accurate pass out of 8 attempts does not scream QBOTF. Kizer blows and I can't wait until we're done with his entitled butt. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...5 more games. 5 more games. C'mon G, hang in there- Don't lose it. . . . 

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

So he stinks, but we... or at least 10% of those on this board... have to wait until 2018 to evaluate him??? :blink:

Look at Goff's numbers last year.  And he had an almost NFL playoff team to work with.  We do not and probably will be there next year.  The other thing is our team is almost all rookies, I know i sound like a broken record.  It doesn't matter who is coaching this team, the problems will continue.  Like Rex Ryan said, he had 5 rookies on his team and people expected them to win.  You can't coach rookies, they have' to mature. 

17 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

He looks better than Paxton Lynch. 

He was way better than Trubisky was yesterday too. 

Careful with that first sentence ....Ghoolie will start stalking you :)

4 hours ago, CaineDeSoulis said:

Well Kizer/hue have never put two good games together yet this year and hue hasnt in two years. No reason to think that will change, BOLD PREDICTION: Kizer throws for 185 yards 1 TD 2 INT, Does not however lose the ball on his lone fumble.

Expecting a 2nd good game this week is a tough test for Kizer.   The Chargers defense is really good so I would certainly expect him to struggle.  Only hope is that the Carson Chargers overlook this week and we can keep it close somehow and maybe pull one out late, kinda like last year.

3 hours ago, PoeticG said:

How about his season turnovers? What about his inaccuracy or his lack of touch? Is it any surprise Coleman dropped that pass, probably never in a million years did he expect it to go where it was supposed to, hell- I bet Kizer was even surprised. A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. Sorry but 1 accurate pass out of 8 attempts does not scream QBOTF. Kizer blows and I can't wait until we're done with his entitled butt. 

He started by holding the ball too long, he's better at that now.

Also, his TTT was too high, that's better now too.

Also, he wasn't throwing the ball away, now he is.

Also, he threw too many int's, those are trending better too.

Also, his QBR stunk, that's better.

Also, his PFF grade was always poor, now he's been at the top twice in the last 3 weeks.

Also, he had the best game, as bad as it sounds,  of the AFCN QB's vs the Jags D.  Well, Dalton was similar, but Big Ben threw 5 picks, and Flacco threw for 29 total yards.

Totally agree he's not to be named the QBotF, but he does have some signs of improvement.

And I'll confess I'm glass half fulling-it, but am also intrigued enough to want to see the month of December.

5 hours ago, darren15 said:

Careful with that first sentence ....Ghoolie will start stalking you :)

Kizer doesn't look better than anyone.  He looks like the worst QB in the NFL.

19 hours ago, 7moses7 said:

can someone pull up Troy Aikman rookie stats, and just compare the stats not saying Kizer is the second coming ,   just curious.

Since you asked- pro football reference will give you the answers. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AikmTr00.htm

Yeah, Aikman stunk his rookie year, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and say Kizer will have the came career track as Troy. Difference was Aikman was the #1 overall pick. Deshone isn't going to get 3-4 seasons to show whether or not he's got "it".

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Overall though, despite the progress he's made, I think the "bet the future on Kizer ship" has sailed. Doesn't mean he won't develop further this year and next, even perhaps rising to starter quality by skill and not default, but still too many holes in his game, not enough progress in areas, to forego a high 1st-round pick going QB.

:D Finally starting to see the light eh Tour?   As you well know- I didn't like Kizer from day one. No shopping the bargain bin next year. 

5 hours ago, Mark O said:

Only hope is that the Carson Chargers overlook this week and we can keep it close somehow and maybe pull one out late, kinda like last year.

They're not gonna make that mistake twice...... I'm betting they are focused this week just like it was a playoff game!

Just now, D Bone said:

They're not gonna make that mistake twice...... I'm betting they are focused this week just like it was a playoff game!

I see the Chargers a lot, because they're always on TV, and I like watching Bosa wreck people. They are firing on all cylinders right now and Kizer will be under duress the entire game. 

3 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

I see the Chargers a lot, because they're always on TV, and I like watching Bosa wreck people. They are firing on all cylinders right now and Kizer will be under duress the entire game. 

Bosa is lucky to have an equally good running mate on the other end. If we want Garrett to play that way, we need to find him similar help. Miller shined best when he had Demarcus Ware coming from the other side. Now they double-triple team him all the time, just like they do Garrett, so he struggles to match that season. Find Garrett a good one in FA. Worked out really well for Denver.

15 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Bet ya a beer...

Well.... in their defense (sort of)... you have to have one good game before you can string together two...

I really wish we were playing Green Bay at Cleveland next and not Chargers in LA. That defense is no joke and their ends are going to make life so miserable for Kizer. However, we have to play who is on the schedule and hopefully Kizer will improve against fierce pass rushers. He really struggled against the Jags, but so have many other qb's. My only hope is that our running game shows up again and takes pressure off Kizer. 3rd and long will destroy us this week, but the Bolts are NOT good against the run, so don't abandon hope just yet. Don't get me wrong, I still think we're absolutely screwed this weekend, but Rivers has been known to throw picks and we're due to actually make some of those plays. It doesn't help that he's coming off his best game EVER.. but whatever. Lol. 

Agree... it's not a coincidence that we ran effectively and Kizer had his best game vs. the Bagels.

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

Since you asked- pro football reference will give you the answers. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AikmTr00.htm

Yeah, Aikman stunk his rookie year, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and say Kizer will have the came career track as Troy. Difference was Aikman was the #1 overall pick. Deshone isn't going to get 3-4 seasons to show whether or not he's got "it".

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

:D Finally starting to see the light eh Tour?   As you well know- I didn't like Kizer from day one. No shopping the bargain bin next year. 

There's a light?

I thought it was pretty clear in my post that I have not given up on the lad, just not counting on him being "the one." Not any different than my original take that I can see. With weeks left it will be interesting to see whether Kizer ends up closer to the QB I thought he could be than the bust you knew he would be, h.

Meanwhile I see you are doubling down on the old "taking a QB higher in the draft assures his success argument".

Kizer has a chance to make some noise during these last five games, but it probably won't be against the Bolts.  Although the Chargers aren't great against the run, we won't be able to run it effectively because our running game stems directly from our passing game.  Teams come out with 63 people in the box, and it only loosens up once we've hurt them with the passing game.  If we can get some quick completions and perhaps connect on some of those mid-level seam routes we've had success with, perhaps we can mix in the run game with some efficiency.  But we're not the kind of team that can just come out and say, "We're running it, now try and stop it."  

I'd love nothing more than for Kizer to play well again.  I don't think it'll happen because of the Bolts' pass rush, but I've been wrong before.  My point is, if we put Kizer in 3rd and long it'll be a rough day.  And if we come out and try to run it with Crow on 1st and 2nd down, that's exactly what will happen.  We need to start the game off with some 3 step drops and positive passing plays.  Even if they're going for 3-4 yards.  We need to stay ahead of the sticks in order to move the ball this week.

If I were Hue Jackson, I'd use the heck out of Josh Gordon as a DECOY early and often.  First drive, I'd call a fake reverse to Gordon and see if I can hit Crow for a quick pass.  Or fake the reverse and run a draw with Crowell.  Then I'd run the fake "WR Bubble Screen" to Gordon.  You know, the play the Jets ran on us for a scoring TD.  You stack the receivers to one side and act like it's a typical bubble screen, but instead of throwing it to the screen WR (Gordon), one of the WR's who usually blocks just leaks out and hauls butt down the sideline.  The Bolts will be so honed in on Gordon that I can see it working, and best of all, it's a pretty quick play so the pass rush isn't as much of a concern.  

Am I making sense or totally crazy?  LOL 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Am I making sense or totally crazy?  LOL 

Both? ;)

I still go to Josh play #1... sets up your decoy use.

A fair dose of decoy makes sense. Josh will have three weeks of practice under his belt by game time, but still a lot to learn, a lot of rust to shake off. And it's not just play calls... there's also audibles and sight adjustments to test his competence. So enough work early to establish a threat, yet not expose limitations seems in order.

The game?

Hard time seeing a win. LAC 2017 is better than the 2016 SDC team we edged out last season by a missed FG. Josh should be a plus... and free up our other WR (and TE) options more than we've seen. But in the end we will have to run effectively to complete the threat and set Kizer up for success off PA.

Then if our run D shows up this week...

But in the end there's Rivers who is taking care of the ball better than he ever has and is coming off his best effort this season. If we (McCourty) can contain Allen, easily Rivers' top target, that would be a big leg up. Allen has been huge the past two games.

Ever think about this (I have :blink: ) the Browns might do better right now away from home, west coast, 4 pm game....well here, all that?

They had "inspirational moments" hopefully they can put it together and avoid infamy, plus this is their only 4 pm game all year, 14 at 1 and the required 1 on TNF, or the you're NOT ready for prime time schedule. I just have a feeling on this game!  :lol:

Just now, mjp28 said:

Ever think about this (I have :blink: ) the Browns might do better right now away from home, west coast, 4 pm game....well here, all that?

They had "inspirational moments" hopefully they can put it together and avoid infamy, plus this is their only 4 pm game all year, 14 at 1 and the required 1 on TNF, or the you're NOT ready for prime time schedule. I just have a feeling on this game!  :lol:

well..one hopeful thing for this game is that its not a traditional road game.  The Chargers have zero home field advantage.   It's basically like the London game again where it's a neutral site  game.

21 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Except Paxton Lynch.

Lynch has won as an NFL starter. Can you say that about Kizer? And remember, Kizer has a lot more starts.

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

West coast games are tough on visiting EST teams.

From covers 2016.....

https://www.covers.com/editorial/Article/30c19e21-b51e-e711-80cb-44a8423171c1/NFL-odds-against-the-spread-football-picks-analytics-NFL-trends-betting-tips

One commonly held belief among NFL bettors is that there’s an edge betting against teams that are currently playing well out of their time zones, whether it be one of the five teams on the West Coast traveling out to the East Coast or vice versa. 

But is there actually any truth to this theory? We've already seen the Oakland Raiders go West to East twice this season, and not only cover but win outright as road underdogs. The Raiders are once again on the East Coast to play Tampa Bay in Week 8, but stayed in Florida - rather than travel back to Oakland - following their win at Jacksonville last Sunday. 

Using data back to 1995 (the point at which the Los Angeles Rams moved to St. Louis) we can investigate whether there's proof behind the coast-to-coast method or if it's just a myth.

Between this year and 1995 there were only four teams that played their home games on the West Coast: the Seattle Seahawks, San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers. So we can look at how these four teams did playing against the teams that played on the East Coast (and were on Eastern Time), of which there are 19 in total. 

We can look at both how the West Coast teams did when they were away (having to travel to the East Coast) and when they were home (with East Coast teams having to travel to them). Below is a simple breakdown of those games.

Record ATS

Record vs Total (% Over)

West  @ East

133-140 (48.7%)

143-131 (52.2%)

East  @ West

138-142 (49.3%)

151-135 (52.8%)

Three things jump out at me from this table.

1. Teams that have to travel to vastly different time zones, no matter which direction, are less than 50 percent ATS.

2. Games that involve two teams from vastly different time zones tend to go Over more than 50 percent of the time

3. Neither of these results are statistically significant at all. The closest one to statistical significance is that games involving East Coast teams playing on the West Coast go Over the total, and that only has a p-value of 0.375 - nowhere close to the 0.05 level desired for statistical significance. Although the direction of the effect is perhaps what we would think, the magnitude of the effect is not significant at all........CONTINUED IN LINK. ..........

Archived