THE BROWNS BOARD

Eli Benched

darren15

8 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

If I recall, Eli will be a FA at season's end.

He'll be FA in 2020, so he still has 2 years. If they release him it would suppose a dead cap of 12.4millions.

I think that if he stays in the Giants, it is going to be because they change the GM. I see him closer to retiring than joining another team.

Pure and simple.  Eli should be traded...most likely  to the Jags....or maybe a couple of other team.   Giants are starting a rebuilding...and a 37 year old at QB ain't the way to go about it.   And he is not done...no more than BR or Rivers are done whom he came into this league with.  He could easily help a team that can use a veteran winning QB as their final piece.

That is why the Jags make sense.

Denver could be another option...with their defense.  Just do a redux of what his brother did?

The Cardinals to a lesser degree perhaps.

Maybe even the Vikings? Though I think Keenum is serving them well.

Or, Kansas City...if they don't want to continue to have faith in Alex Smith...and aren't ready to turn things over to Mahomes.

Possibly even the Dolphins?  Even Tannehill coming back is no golden QB situation there.  Or even the Bills...who are pretty good but appear to have little faith in Taylor.

And if Cousins goes elsewhere, maybe the Redskins.     But I would not trade him within the division by any means.

That is why an AFC team...Jags/Broncos makes the most sense for a trade.

Now...just what would the compensation be?    Unlikely a first round pick.   Something less than that.

Giants should release Eli Manning

Fourteen loyal years of service, more than 200 straight starts, and a pair of Lombardi Trophies that wouldn’t have been won without him ultimately didn’t secure for Eli Manning the ability to end the 2017 season as the Giants’ starting quarterback.

Even though coach Ben McAdoo says that the decision to bench Eli for Geno Smithdoesn’t mean that Eli’s time with the team is done (as if McAdoo will be making any of those decisions), the Giants should do the right thing by Eli Manning and cut him.

Surely, he won’t be back with the team in 2018. Given the structure of his contract, he’ll likely be cut not long after the Super Bowl. So cut him now. Let him go.

Actually, he may not want to be released. If released, Eli would be subject to waivers. Anyone (including the Browns) could claim his contract. If he fails to show up, Manning would owe the team that claims him more than $12.4 million.

So who would be inclined to claim him on waiver? The Browns surely would consider it, as would the Bills, the Jets (maybe), the Jaguars, the Texans, the Broncos, and the Cardinals. But if he had no interest in playing for any of those teams, would the team go through with grabbing his rights?

Eli’s preference surely would be to become a free agent, and to join the most viable contender he could find: The Jaguars, where he’d be reunited with Tom Coughlin.

Even if it doesn’t happen this year, that could be exactly what happens comes 2018.

https://sports.yahoo.com/giants-release-eli-manning-214343879.html

4 hours ago, Nero said:

He'll be FA in 2020, so he still has 2 years. If they release him it would suppose a dead cap of 12.4millions.

I think that if he stays in the Giants, it is going to be because they change the GM. I see him closer to retiring than joining another team.

You’re right, I must’ve got him confused with the boatload of free agent QB’s hitting the market in early 2018.

14 hours ago, The Gipper said:

They are already a playoff contender....the thing that holds them back is their questionable QB.

Eli could put them into SB contending status....at least imo.

I had to look it up Gip- his stats aren't that bad. The Giants have lost three games by a total of 9 points. 

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

One barrier to trading for Eli is his $45mm price tag thru 2019. NYG might be able to eat some of that, but...

Wait until "Geno Marino" hits the field many questions may be answered sooner than later.

Archived