THE BROWNS BOARD

Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia and Alabama picked for College Playoff

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The top three was pretty much locked in despite Clemson and the acc looking very avareage as well as the sec. but the fact that bama was put in shows one fact espn is mad at the big ten for leaving and going to fox.  By there own word they all said the big ten was the best conference and the sec was 2 or 3.  They committee also showed there criteria means nothing and they put in who they wanted or were instructed to put in.  It proves that this system is flawed and as poor as the bcs.  The only thing that can fix this is a 8 team playoff and all conference champs in.  As for me I will not be watching the games even though I am a bama and buckeyes fan. 

I think it is all about the eyeball test.   OSU losing to Iowa is where they failed that.

If they were looking at straight credentials.....OSU,  Wisconsin, USC may have all had better cases than Alabama.

In terms of  Strength of Schedule,  quality wins, conference championships.  They are all better than Bama.

But Bama had only the one loss, and no "bad ones" like OSU did.

Of course, it helped that they had what amounted to a pretty cupcake schedule.  "Their best wins were A. The  supposed big game on their schedule, FSU, turned out to not be much. Did FSU even finish with a winning record?   And LSU was not a very good team either. Lost to Troy St.  Their resume was not even as good as Wisconsin's.   1 loss only, but Wisc. lost to Ohio St.  ...and they played them a tough game.  Bama lost to Auburn who rode rough shod over them.  And compare the rest of the schedule.  Say what you want about the Big Ten West....it was every bit as tough as the SEC West.

But no, they didn't have a bad loss like OSU....they just had like -0- quality wins. 

So...bottom line, bad losses trump few quality wins and a conf. title.

If you lose 2 games in college football you can't get too upset that you were left out.  I still think a reasonable argument can be made for Ohio State but think there is also a reasonable argument for Alabama.  The sure way to make the playoffs win all your games but that is easier said than done.  Still a good season for the Buckeyes.

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

The Big 10 & PAC 12 conference champions didn’t mean anything this year or last.

Time to change the format.

I was watching just that discussion on FOX Sports before the second half of the OSU game.

Might happen now, duh P5 means someone is always left out, 8 team playoff would be so e-a-s-y to do, 16 would be possible. 

2 hours ago, BaconHound said:

If you lose 2 games in college football you can't get too upset that you were left out.  I still think a reasonable argument can be made for Ohio State but think there is also a reasonable argument for Alabama.  The sure way to make the playoffs win all your games but that is easier said than done.  Still a good season for the Buckeyes.

Alabama goes into the weekend ranked #5.

They don’t even play a game, and move up to #4???

15 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

It happens.  The Iowa loss, the "eye" test and the Big 10 being down a bit this year cost OSU.

The Big 10 being down?

I recall Michigan throttling Florida 33-17 this year.

The committee suffers from SEC bias.

I’m going to enjoy watching the tide get rolled by Clemson.

5 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

The Big 10 being down?

Florida stunk.  Alabama, Auburn and Georgia are cumulatively better than Ohio State, Penn State & Wisconsin and as a Sooner fan better than OU, TCU & Oklahoma State

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

The Big 10 being down?

LOL Even A&M beat Florida @ Florida this year which is why the coach was sent packing.

1 hour ago, BaconHound said:

Florida stunk.  Alabama, Auburn and Georgia are cumulatively better than Ohio State, Penn State & Wisconsin and as a Sooner fan better than OU, TCU & Oklahoma State

Michigan wasn’t exactly a powerhouse this year either, but the Michigan vs Florida game was the only Big 10 vs SEC Game I can recall this year.

I really wanted Bama/ OSU in a bowl game.

Ya don't lose by 35 to an unranked and think you're top 4 material.. You just aren't. Particularly if it's a late 2nd loss and you had to be thankfull that Penn State Sheet the bed for you.

Osu has 2 top 4 win bama 0

osu has 3 top 15 wins bama 0

osu won division and conference bama did neither 

osu the only team in the nation ranked in the top 10 in total offense and defense 

Osu plays 9 conference games bama 8

bama did not travel out of the south or play a home and home only nuetral field and play fcs school

It was not even a question who should have been in 

Wow, there is some delusional homerism at it's worst.  Bama beat the consensus #3 in the kickoff classic skippy.. 

Can't stand either school.. That's why I'd like to see them in a bowl game..  The Overated Bowl..

UCF would probably beat both of them..

Sorry Urban Cryer didn't make it into the SEC invitational :(

10 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Sheet happens.  Can't lose to Iowa let alone the way we did.

Still, I'm all about consistency and this committee doesn't have it.  

What would have been inconsistent is putting Ohio State in based on the exact antithesis of the arguments that put Ohio State in last year. How on earth did consistency not favor Bama this year?

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I think it is all about the eyeball test.   OSU losing to Iowa is where they failed that.

If they were looking at straight credentials.....OSU,  Wisconsin, USC may have all had better cases than Alabama.

In terms of  Strength of Schedule,  quality wins, conference championships.  They are all better than Bama.

But Bama had only the one loss, and no "bad ones" like OSU did.

Of course, it helped that they had what amounted to a pretty cupcake schedule.  "Their best wins were A. The  supposed big game on their schedule, FSU, turned out to not be much. Did FSU even finish with a winning record?   And LSU was not a very good team either. Lost to Troy St.  Their resume was not even as good as Wisconsin's.   1 loss only, but Wisc. lost to Ohio St.  ...and they played them a tough game.  Bama lost to Auburn who rode rough shod over them.  And compare the rest of the schedule.  Say what you want about the Big Ten West....it was every bit as tough as the SEC West.

But no, they didn't have a bad loss like OSU....they just had like -0- quality wins. 

So...bottom line, bad losses trump few quality wins and a conf. title.

I agree that it's eyeball test. Bama was regarded as the best team in the country by most pundits for most of the season. I don't think Ohio State was ever once considered the same throughout the entire season.

Furthermore, Alabama would be favored easily against Ohio State, and Michigan State, and Penn State, and Wisconsin. Yeah, Ohio State fans want to pimp beating Wisconsin yesterday as some kind of trump card. You think Alabama wouldn't have done the same? 

4 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

The Big 10 being down?

4-7 Florida?

You realize had the committee gone with OSU everyone around the country would say it has bias for Ohio State? 

Bama's favored....

54 minutes ago, Babernakle said:

osu the only team in the nation ranked in the top 10 in total offense and defense 

bama did not travel out of the south or play a home and home only nuetral field and play fcs school

FSU was a top 4 win for Bama. And when did Ohio State travel out of the north for a game this year? 

"It was not even a question who should have been in." Just make sure you ignore all our arguments from last year. Okie dokie.

Obviously I like Ohio State. I root for them every week. I may go to the Cotton Bowl in a few weeks. But that loss to Iowa is an embarrassment. Win that game and you're in no question. Heck, lose by a respectable number and you're probably in no question. But that bad loss is a disqualifier.

And besides, if you think Ohio State would beat Clemson or any of the other playoff teams right now, you're smoking rocks. I honestly don't think they'd hang within 10 of any of them except maybe OU because their styles match up. I think part of the reason the committee chose Bama was because of the egg OSU laid against Clemson last year while Bama and Clemson have played two absolute barn burners. 

It just wasn't OSU's year. They still won 10 games. Come back in 2018. GO BUCKS

1 hour ago, wargograw said:

Obviously I like Ohio State. I root for them every week. I may go to the Cotton Bowl in a few weeks. But that loss to Iowa is an embarrassment. Win that game and you're in no question. Heck, lose by a respectable number and you're probably in no question. But that bad loss is a disqualifier.

And besides, if you think Ohio State would beat Clemson or any of the other playoff teams right now, you're smoking rocks. I honestly don't think they'd hang within 10 of any of them except maybe OU because their styles match up. I think part of the reason the committee chose Bama was because of the egg OSU laid against Clemson last year while Bama and Clemson have played two absolute barn burners. 

It just wasn't OSU's year. They still won 10 games. Come back in 2018. GO BUCKS

11-2 going into OSU vs USC, should be a good game.....ironically possibly the future BROWNS QB preview in that game in Texas.

The B1G had to be perfect or a one loss OSU to get one in the final four. SEC bias? Maybe depending on how you look at it. The BUCKEYES lost their guaranteed shot in Iowa.

THE BUCKEYES should be good in 2018 but now the seemingly endless bowl games many not filled a 16 team playoff would remedy some of that. ;)

8 hours ago, Babernakle said:

OSU also got beat by 31 points against Iowa. That was the hurdle they put in front of themselves. Bama didn't get worked by a scrub team. 

Fsu was a preseason ranking there rank was based on last year and bias.  I watched almost all of a bama's games this year they are not what they said they are.  The sec bias came up again.  How it is possible to not play and move up.  And further evidence of the bias is when osu lost to ou compare how many spots osu dropped as compared to bama's loss.  Auburn dominated bama in the same fashion ou did to Osu. You can point to the Iowa loss all you want but the conference championship whips that out now compare the records not even close osu got robbed.  Like I said I like bama hope they beat Clemson but osu should have been in there is no excuse for in and once again the committee shows us there a joke and the playoff has to go to 8 teams to take the human bias out of 5 of the picks.  

1 hour ago, Babernakle said:

Fsu was a preseason ranking there rank was based on last year and bias.  I watched almost all of a bama's games this year they are not what they said they are.  The sec bias came up again.  How it is possible to not play and move up.  And further evidence of the bias is when osu lost to ou compare how many spots osu dropped as compared to bama's loss.  Auburn dominated bama in the same fashion ou did to Osu. You can point to the Iowa loss all you want but the conference championship whips that out now compare the records not even close osu got robbed.  Like I said I like bama hope they beat Clemson but osu should have been in there is no excuse for in and once again the committee shows us there a joke and the playoff has to go to 8 teams to take the human bias out of 5 of the picks.  

You can't get boatraced by a 7-5 team and expect to get in.  If Bama had been stomped by Miss State by 31 points, I have no doubt that OSU would be in over them.

18 hours ago, BaconHound said:

It may be as simple as this:    There has never been a 2 loss team in these playoffs in the now 4 or so years they have been running, and the committee didn't want to go that way this time.

Then you have to ask yourself:  who then only had 1 loss?   Well...there was UCF...only undefeated team...but they were not going to pick them.

And there was Wisconsin.  Only loss to Ohio St.  On resume alone, Wisconsin may actually have had the better credentials. There loss was to OSU, Bama to Auburn.....OSU ended up ranked higher than Auburn.    Both had what I ...and everyone else, considered weak schedules.  Both OSU and USC had much stronger strength of schedules...but both had two losses. 

So...between Alabama and Wisc. it came down to only possibly a few things:   A.  Wisconsin just lost the previous day...where Bama had the good sense to lose a week earlier   B. They went by reputation alone  or  C. it came down to the "eye" test....they just thought Bama was a better team. 

The last one is what they professed....but honestly....I think that the last one was influenced by A and B.  They thought Bama looked better because in the past Bama has been better,  and they forgot how Bama was overwhelmingly manhandled by Auburn.  While Wisc. lost to OSU...I wouldn't call it an overwhelming manhandling.  Wisc. just could not keep up with OSU's quick strike ability.  So...to me...it all boils down to B:  they chose Bama out of reputation alone.

16 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Alabama goes into the weekend ranked #5.

They don’t even play a game, and move up to #4???

Teams ranked ahead of them lost. 

Ohio State got this same "advantage" last year, to be fair.

Moral of the story:   At least half the time now....it is better for a team to NOT even participate in their conference Championship game....as long as you only have 1 loss.  By not playing you avoid the chance of suffering another loss.

Face it,  this was actually  one year when the Big 12 could have used  not having a Championship game.  If OK does not play a game...they would still be in....but if they had played and lost...they were out.  But they did win...so that solidified their berth in the CFP.  

Losing DID kick Wisconsin out.  Losing kicked Auburn out.  Losing kicked Miami out. 

NOT playing helped Bama get in....as it did OSU last year.

The more interesting scenario would have been:   what if Alabama had beaten Auburn, then lost to Georgia in the SEC title game.   Both Auburn and Alabama very well could have been out.

Alabama would have then have had their only loss in the SEC title game.  Like Wisconsin....would they have considered putting in a 1 loss team where that loss had just happened  the previous day?  

15 hours ago, BaconHound said:

Ohio State, Penn St. Wisconsin, Michigan St.  Michigan, Northwestern, Iowa.......collectively were better than the SECs top half:  

And, record wise you are wrong.  Ohio State, PSU and Wisconsin were a combined 33-5.   Bama, Auburn and GA had the same 33-5 record.   But note:  the SEC teams only played 8 conference games...where the Big Ten played 9.  Ergo...the SEC doubles up on cupcakes.  While the Big Ten played a few "lesser lights"..they only had the chance really to play 1 team like that.  The SEC schedules at least 2.  And nowhere on any Big Ten schedule will you see them playing FCS schools, like Mercer or the Citadel, or Louisiana-Monroe.

By getting 2 teams into the playoffs, this committee is actually rewarding the SEC for their weak butt scheduling.  The Big Ten, Pac 10, ACC, Big 12 all play a 9 game  conference schedule....the SEC only plays 8 conference games.

If I were the Commissioners of the other conferences....I would make a demand that the SEC play the same number of conference games as the rest of them do......and that any game agains an FCS opponent should count as a half loss.

Archived