THE BROWNS BOARD

How the hell can you go 1-27.....

Tacosman

18 minutes ago, D Bone said:

I would totally agree...... modern history too, none of that "In 1932 the Iowa Hay Balers lost 37 of their first 39 games, before moving to Nome Alaska to become the Nome Ice Cubes where they were disbanded after their 3rd year." 

Gotta be modern history's (SB era) worst team....... Although it wouldn't shock me if we couldn't even get that right either.  

The New Orleans Saints between 1967-1985 went 83-187-5, for a win % of .311. They did not have one winning season during this stretch.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

The New Orleans Saints between 1967-1985 went 83-187-5, for a win % of .311. They did not have one winning season during this stretch.

See.... we couldn't even get that right. :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

There you go, good research.  So we are suffering through the 2nd worst stretch in NFL history

1 minute ago, BaconHound said:

There you go, good research.  So we are suffering through the 2nd worst stretch in NFL history

Don't worry, guys...

We can make it the 1st worst. 

5 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

Not true.

The Browns from 1999-today have gone 88-212-0, for a win % of .293.

9 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

7 minutes ago, Nero said:

Don't worry, guys...

We can make it the 1st worst. 

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Not true.

Told ya. 

1 hour ago, Tacosman said:

this current bunch is really no different than the old bunch...just more of the same bs.

I'd fire the coaching staff and give the FO one more draft at least.  Regardless of who the FO is we are going to take one of the qbs high,so it doesnt matter with respect to that.....

we need a front office and coaching staff that makes data driven decisions and one in which there are consequences for misses.

That's the deal with the current set up. there are no consequences for being HISTORICALLY BAD .

1 hour ago, stillmotion said:

I’m thinking we beat the Bears. I might bet hard money line in Vegas.

One win is OK now, we still have that "protected" #1 overall pick. Just hope they're not laughing at us too hard come Draft Day 2018. 

38 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

and we had one or was it two, I forget... 

When I get some time, I'm going to see if I can find ANY team that had such a bad stretch, post WWII.

Now I'm starting to wonder just how godawful this Browns 2.0 team has been.

There were some horrible Steelers, Packers and Cardinals teams in the 50s, but I don't think for this long of a stretch.

38 minutes ago, D Bone said:

So less than 5 wins per season for 1/5 of a century??? Phuck Me. 

I can only hope that Tour, War and a few others are right, and the rest of us are proclaiming them 'The Greatest Browns Fans Ever' in a few years, otherwise..... man I don't even want to think about the otherwise. 

huh?  Tour, War and a few others are right in that we will start getting a lot better.....

but thats just regression to the mean.  and the cyclic nature of the nfl. The front office and coaching could still suck and we're going to improve a lot. The fo and coaching can continue to suck and we will come across a good spell eventually.

I know its hard for browns fans to see, but this kind of year in year out regular sucking is not the norm in the nfl....and there isn't anything that is inherent in our organization that will mean it will continue.  We will be better.  Just how bad we've been over the last two years is a damning point towards the people in charge now though....

1 minute ago, Tacosman said:

huh? 

I simply mean that T, War and a couple of others are patiently waiting for the upswing, while fully believing in what the current organization is doing, and I hope that they are right (if we stay the course with no changes) and if they are, I'll be happy right along side all of them and smile happily each time one of them says 'I Told You so'.

As for the Browns "inevitably getting better"..... Well, v2.0 Browns' history says that is certainly not guaranteed and wouldn't hold my breath any time soon if I were you. 

34 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Not true.

For the few fans actually attending the last two home games, hand out complimentary paper bags at the gates, Print 'em up- we ain't the Aints- we're worse. 

23 minutes ago, D Bone said:

I simply mean that T, War and a couple of others are patiently waiting for the upswing, while fully believing in what the current organization is doing, and I hope that they are right (if we stay the course with no changes) and if they are, I'll be happy right along side all of them and smile happily each time one of them says 'I Told You so'.

As for the Browns "inevitably getting better"..... Well, v2.0 Browns' history says that is certainly not guaranteed and wouldn't hold my breath any time soon if I were you. 

My point was that there is a more likely third way- that the current organization is indeed lacking but there will still be an upswing.  There almost has to be an upswing regardless.  How big and long lasting the upswing is(will we be 8-8?  will we make the playoffs?  for how many years?) is the question.....

But framing it as "if we get better then patience with the current organization paid off" is a stupid way of looking at it. I'm confident we will get a good bit better regardless.  Just because thats the way the nfl works.  

As for history, as I've said the browns are an anomaly....there is nothing that indicates they will continue to be and that means they will fluctuate like every other nfl team typically does...

You get rid of almost every player over 28. You focus on building a roster that will be good 3-4 years down the road and beyond, not worried about the first couple years. You also put good players on IR that don't really need it (but we haven't talked about that here).

Quit panicking.

5 hours ago, PoeticG said:

How could they have known what was about to happen! smh

Ghoolie knew. From day one I called this total bullschidt. Ghoolie knew.

5 hours ago, Tacosman said:

i still think we will get  a win....you just dont go 0-16 after going 1-16.  the odds of being that bad are too high

wouldn't 1 and 16 infer we made the playoffs with one win?????

all i know is hue jackson winning pct as head coach in the NFL is worse than paxton lynch's pit stains in denver.

ESPN will hire hue jackson and dan o'brien when canned as expert analyzers of QBs in the league next year. they'll call the show HD in the morning.....as in hard finger.

4 hours ago, D Bone said:

This reminds me of that old saying "if you put a frog in boiling water then he'll jump right out, but if you put him in cold water and slowly heat it up to a boil, then he'll just sit there and boil to death".

If you knew about pro sports, yet knew nothing about the Browns, then you would wonder how the Hell the head coach was even still around to go 1-27....... Jump right out.

But since the Browns under JTC (Jimmy The Criminal) have been known to have a quick hook, then some of us are willing to go so far beyond historic levels of losing that it isn't even funny, just to prove that we are not the same team that makes rash decisions...... Sit there and boil to death.  

I smell boiled chicken................

most kids only learn about heat and electricity pain through parents watching them reach into the toaster. lick a wall outlet or grab at the blue flame of a gas stove while thinking to themselves....'watch this gladys. it'll be last the last time this happens.'

haslam must be made of titanium.

yeah D Bone life was a lot different back in my day. i had the don draper dad. we lived (as kids) on a small 200 yard residential block with all families having like 3 kids so it was a free for all everyday. all the men got together and sat on porches or garages and drank their martinis and smoked their pipes as they bet on which one of us would fall of their schwinn and bust their teeth out that day.

note: there were no bike helmets back then....just blood and gristle.

6 hours ago, miktoxic said:

yeah D Bone life was a lot different back in my day. i had the don draper dad. we lived (as kids) on a small 200 yard residential block with all families having like 3 kids so it was a free for all everyday. all the men got together and sat on porches or garages and drank their martinis and smoked their pipes as they bet on which one of us would fall of their schwinn and bust their teeth out that day.

note: there were no bike helmets back then....just blood and gristle.

Schwinn? Boy did they spoil you or what? We got the Sears special of the day. Helped my older brother sell fresh donuts door to door every day so he could save enough for an "English Racer" 3 speed.:D

16 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Schwinn? Boy did they spoil you or what? We got the Sears special of the day. Helped my older brother sell fresh donuts door to door every day so he could save enough for an "English Racer" 3 speed.:D

I had to settle for a second hand bike bought at a second hand store.  We were kind of poor.  My one older brother bought an 'English Racer' with money he made from a paper route.

You can't change the coach.  That's the same Sheet they do every two to three years. Give hue time. Change the gm maybe rumors of Peyton manning coming in.  Get a qb so the cry babies stop bitching fix the holes in the oline and add some other pieces.  It's not that they haven't been in games kizer keeps giving the ball away in the red zone he sucks.  He's really bad but you can't put Kessler in because he's not mobile and would die.  They have a number 1 now that Gordon's back and his presence will help Colman and the have a nice young te.  So relax there a few position from being good.  And at this point I know everyone says the fo is completely incompetent but maybe just maybe there pulling a Huston astros. Because it impossible to lose like they have without somewhat trying 

14 hours ago, D Bone said:

I can only hope that Tour, War and a few others are right, and the rest of us are proclaiming them 'The Greatest Browns Fans Ever' in a few years, otherwise..... man I don't even want to think about the otherwise. 

Thanks, but speaking for myself, it's really not a "fan-driven" view... just more of a foresight thing.

14 hours ago, Tacosman said:

huh?  Tour, War and a few others are right in that we will start getting a lot better.....

but thats just regression to the mean.  and the cyclic nature of the nfl. The front office and coaching could still suck and we're going to improve a lot. The fo and coaching can continue to suck and we will come across a good spell eventually.

I know its hard for browns fans to see, but this kind of year in year out regular sucking is not the norm in the nfl....and there isn't anything that is inherent in our organization that will mean it will continue.  We will be better.  Just how bad we've been over the last two years is a damning point towards the people in charge now though....

Ehhhhh.... true phenomenon that is not universally applicable.

Fits best when outcomes are purely the product of random chance or at least common cause variation. I see it applied often in the stock market for example where in the macro on broad indices like the S&P 500 and Russell 2000, or even sector composites, there is some validity, but that validity decreases greatly as the move to individual companies is made and special causes emerge. You can get real broke real fast looking for poor performing companies to revert to their mean. Common cause variation is a tough case to make for the post-'99 Browns.

14 hours ago, Tacosman said:

My point was that there is a more likely third way- that the current organization is indeed lacking but there will still be an upswing.  There almost has to be an upswing regardless.  How big and long lasting the upswing is(will we be 8-8?  will we make the playoffs?  for how many years?) is the question.....

But framing it as "if we get better then patience with the current organization paid off" is a stupid way of looking at it. I'm confident we will get a good bit better regardless.  Just because thats the way the nfl works.  

As for history, as I've said the browns are an anomaly....there is nothing that indicates they will continue to be and that means they will fluctuate like every other nfl team typically does...

Blind faith is stupid. I, and the others members of the "sunshine squad" are not blind... and neither are good statisticians. They would be able to use reversion to the mean to predict future records and duration... within confidence limits of course. But then they would also start from the point of a sound statistical analysis and not half-baked, misapplied generalities.

10 hours ago, wargograw said:

You get rid of almost every player over 28. You focus on building a roster that will be good 3-4 years down the road and beyond, not worried about the first couple years. You also put good players on IR that don't really need it (but we haven't talked about that here). Quit panicking.

Folks go with what they know...

5 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Blind faith is stupid. I, and the others members of the "sunshine squad" are not blind... and neither are good statisticians. They would be able to use reversion to the mean to predict future records and duration... within confidence limits of course. But then they would also start from the point of a sound statistical analysis and not half-baked, misapplied generalities.

PFF has Baker Mayfield as the top QB in the 2018 Draft with a 96.6 Grade. Doesn't that mean anything?

14 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

PFF has Baker Mayfield as the top QB in the 2018 Draft with a 96.6 Grade. Doesn't that mean anything?

Means he's a really good college QB on a really great team.

Archived