THE BROWNS BOARD

Another thing this GM will hopefully do shortly.....

Tacosman

Let's wait & see what happens...may the problem be kicker? holder? poor special teams coaching? something else? I sure as hell don't know, but I'm willing to trust the folks in charge.

Mike 

37 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Which FO got rid of dawson, i firget

It wasn't we got "rid" of Dawson. Like Alex Mack after him- for whatever reason, Phil didn't want to be here. If you remember we franchised Phil- twice. That made him one of the top paid kickers in the league. So it wasn't about money. To franchise him a third time we would have had to pay him top franchise money at any position. We weren't about to pay Payton Manning money to a kicker. 

4 hours ago, Tacosman said:

get rid of this sorry kicker.....

there wasn't any excuse for him to be on the roster so long as our kicker. 

Dawson made only 66% of his kicks his rookie year, just sayin.

Exactly Dawson wasn't great when he started out, but he got better with age and practice. And this kid hasn't gotten worse with the season. He has calmed down more. At this point there is zero reason to cut him. Might as well continue to see how he does because at this point there is no one available to even replace him. Bring someone in during the off-season to compete and let the best one stay next year.

you guys are missing part of the point-  it doesnt neccessarily matter whether he makes his net 6 fgs or whatever or not.  What matters is he just clearly doesnt have an nfl leg...he doesnt look comfortable kicking from 50-55 in this league.  Which for an nfl kicker is not acceptable in 2017

5 hours ago, Tacosman said:

get rid of this sorry kicker.....

there wasn't any excuse for him to be on the roster so long as our kicker. 

You cannot trust somebody who has a hispanic last name.

They're rubbish.

2 hours ago, Tacosman said:

you guys are missing part of the point-  it doesnt neccessarily matter whether he makes his net 6 fgs or whatever or not.  What matters is he just clearly doesnt have an nfl leg...he doesnt look comfortable kicking from 50-55 in this league.  Which for an nfl kicker is not acceptable in 2017

LOL, He clearly DOES have an NFL leg- (read quote below) and if you think in today's NFL 50+ yard field goals are routine- you're wrong. Guy won the Groza award as the best college kicker, and in case you don't keep track of such things, we drafted him in the 7th round, not the 2nd (like MIke Nugent) or 3rd (like "Not so Automatica" Martin Grammatica)- two other stud kickers that immediately come to mind. 

"Even so, the big-legged rookie from Arizona State left little doubt who has the superior leg strength. The seventh-round pick and reigning Lou Groza Award winner (disclosure: I’m a voter for the award) brought the power when given the chance.

Gonzalez blasted his final kickoff into the seats behind the end zone on the fly. His other kickoff got caught eight yards deep, and it had enough hang time that two Browns in coverage were already closing in.

He was fantastic in practice during the week too, nailing a 55-yarder on Monday that was easily good from 10 yards farther out. Parkey hit from 50 just fine but maxed out at 55, and that’s with no rush."

Yeah- non returnable kickoffs don't matter much either I suppose.  

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Another Sashi boo-boo? Well, Gonzalez was drafted (by me) smooch, smooch. Parkey was just a FA. Zane has a stronger leg, he stays. Just like I'll keep those bum wrs I drafted over guys like Gabriel and Benjamin. The more I think about it, the happier I am that Sashi is gone.

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

And how many of you were complaining when Cody first came on our team and missed FGs.  Go back and look at old chats.  My point is FG, some kickers need time.  I understand he's struggling this season, but at least give him next season and see what he does.  If he struggles then, we should definitely cut him.

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

LOL, He clearly DOES have an NFL leg- (read quote below) and if you think in today's NFL 50+ yard field goals are routine- you're wrong. Guy won the Groza award as the best college kicker, and in case you don't keep track of such things, we drafted him in the 7th round, not the 2nd (like MIke Nugent) or 3rd (like "Not so Automatica" Martin Grammatica)- two other stud kickers that immediately come to mind. 

"Even so, the big-legged rookie from Arizona State left little doubt who has the superior leg strength. The seventh-round pick and reigning Lou Groza Award winner (disclosure: I’m a voter for the award) brought the power when given the chance.

Gonzalez blasted his final kickoff into the seats behind the end zone on the fly. His other kickoff got caught eight yards deep, and it had enough hang time that two Browns in coverage were already closing in.

He was fantastic in practice during the week too, nailing a 55-yarder on Monday that was easily good from 10 yards farther out. Parkey hit from 50 just fine but maxed out at 55, and that’s with no rush."

Yeah- non returnable kickoffs don't matter much either I suppose.  

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Another Sashi boo-boo? Well, Gonzalez was drafted (by me) smooch, smooch. Parkey was just a FA. Zane has a stronger leg, he stays. Just like I'll keep those bum wrs I drafted over guys like Gabriel and Benjamin. The more I think about it, the happier I am that Sashi is gone.

Something changed in 11 hours?

And the big criticism of Parkey was his lack of leg strength.

4 hours ago, dawg2fan said:

And how many of you were complaining when Cody first came on our team and missed FGs.  Go back and look at old chats.  My point is FG, some kickers need time.  I understand he's struggling this season, but at least give him next season and see what he does.  If he struggles then, we should definitely cut him.

Parkey missed two fresh off a plane having never practiced with the holder. After a week of practice he was money. 

NFL goalposts are so much narrower than the college post, it takes time for the transition. Let me point out again , Dawson made only 66% of his kicks his rookie year but everyone wants to say bring back Dawson. 

1 hour ago, TopDawg31 said:

NFL goalposts are so much narrower than the college post, it takes time for the transition. Let me point out again , Dawson made only 66% of his kicks his rookie year but everyone wants to say bring back Dawson. 

Agree on all points.

5 hours ago, TopDawg31 said:

They are 18 feet, 6 inches wide for both college and the NFL.

Archived