THE BROWNS BOARD

B-mac vs E Wright

sisky fringo

B-mac vs E Wright  

32 members have voted

1. 1. if a new acquisition locks up the other spot and it's between these two, who gets it?

• Brandon McDonald
    • Eric Wright
    • neither, they're both dethroned

i just want to get a bead on what the board is thinking.

obviously i'm more partial to Mcdonald, but i see him as an asset playing nickle as well. if he starts at corner or plays nickle it's a win/win for the Browns either way IMO.

then again, it's possible neither play left or right corner and they both play in sub packages. we really have no idea what's gonna happen this summer.

Im thinkin that B-mac and wright will be our starters, but if I had to choose who was a better corner, B-mac hands down, Wright is a puss, he gives every reciever a 10 yard cusion, lets them make the catch, then wraps up. He's safe, and prevents the big play, but b-mac stays in the recievers pockets, although he may give up the big play more often.

Verdict: B-mac is better

With all the 3 reciever sets we will see this year + good tight ends..Im not sure it really matters. I I looked at the schedule. They are all going to be busy.. I like that we have 3 real starters now.. And now to keep the healthy.. we seem to have a strange injury thing at the cb spot all the time.. Stay healthy guys..

Maybe you need to add "neither gets beat out" to your vote poll.

that's not what it's about. the question clearly was which do you prefer, or if it wasn't clear that's the question.

after reading other threads on the board i have an idea of who thinks they both will start etc. i want to know if the peeps on this board prefer Wright or McDonald, not what they think will happen. a few stated Wright will be the guy on the Hood thread and elsewhere but i'm curious how many feel he's overrated and B-mac might be the better CB. there are quite a few showing B-mac love, i find this interesting. "neither gets beat out" muddles the research and doesn't factor for homerism. it's a fork in the road.

btw check out the Hood thread. i left you a reply there regarding our potential corners and safeties.

I did a thread on this a while back, here it is:

There is a problem here on this board and with Browns fans in general. Everyone seems to give Eric Wright all the love while dropping a shit on B-Mac. Ive watched every game this season and B-mac has done consistently well, and better than everyones favorite on the other side. He consistently makes tackles In the backfield and plays very physical with the receivers. He is a corner who plays man and does it well.

op57-8953.jpg

Eric Wright however seems to give every receiver a ten yard cushion (and if you don't beleive me, watch a game or two again) , and gives up those first downs that let the opposing defense get into the red zone.

Now B-mac isnt perfect, he was toasted in the Broncos game (which in my opinion was the fault of Sean Jones) and I will admit that he doesent match up well in the red zone (nor does Eric Wright, they are both 5'10 and red zone scores usually are scored on us by outs or jump balls in the endzone where their height is a huge disadvantage). But I believe he is hated because he has given up a few big plays this year, but thats what happens when you play aggressive. But whats worse, giving up a few big plays or giving up a shit ton of little 12 yard catches? B-mac half the time wouldnt even be in the position to fail if Wright doesent give up 4 first downs or if the safetys are getting fooled by the playaction)

Want statistics, here is some for you:

Eric Wright

Tackles: 58

Forced Fumbles: 1

Sacks: 0

Interceptions 3

Passes Defended: 13

Times he fumbled: 1

Touchdowns: 0

Now, lets take a look at my buddy B-mac

Tackles: 64

Forced Fumbles: 1

Sacks: 1

Passes Defended: 16

Times he Fumbled: 0

Touchdowns: 1

These are from NFL.com, dont forget, B-mac also didnt start one game so he is already at a disadvantage and he is still kicking Wrights ass in every category.

I also want to mention that he has had MANY near picks this year that have been extremely close, and he has also taken down runningbacks in the backfield. I wish they had a stat for passes allowed for first downs so you could see how Wright plays like a puss, and just doesent want to give up the big play so he plays back.

i caught that PGL. it helped inspire my poll. we are in agreement except i put more emphasis on B-mac's balance and acceleration as opposed to his top-end speed. he's quick and "pretty fast" IMO. perfect slot guy ;)

I really havn't been paying too much attention to which cornerback is better (you can slap me on the wrist later) but as far as my memory of the past couple years serves, I'm pretty sure it was Macdonald who was giving the better coverage out of the two when the ball came their way.

... And that seems to be lining up with PGL's thoughts, so I can't be totally wack. :)

Both corners have a ton of potential.... I think Wright has the bigger potential upside and is getting better as he gets more game experience... McDonald on the other hand has progressed faster and may be ahead of Wright currently.... McDonald better get more conditioning, he can't be getting caught from behind after an interception like he did in a game last year... From what I recall reading he simply ran out of gas...

I like em both with the edge going to McDonald...

peace

T.Dawg

I kind of thought that both of these guys were guilty last year of being too confident in their abilities. There is no question they both have talent IMO, now it's a matter of refining it and playing within a solid system.

I'm not going to argue who is better. They are 2 different types of CB. When answering the poll, I picked Wright. I think that Mangini is not going to want to give up the big play that B-Mac will allow. Wright is just steady and cautious. You know he will make the tackle and you know that he won't let too many receivers get by him. B-Mac is the opposite...you know that he will let them by but he can usually close out on them pretty quickly with his speed. However, he sometimes doesn't get back in time. He will jump routes. Sometimes good...other times it bites us. Mangini will probably go with the safe, smarter player than the one who takes chances. I personally think B-Mac has the higher ceiling and more physical abilities. Both can be tremendous CB's in this league and compliment each other very well. Hood is only here for 1 year. Whoever loses his spot this season, they will learn from Hood and be back as our starter midseason or next season. Who knows? Mangini could chose starters from week to week based on the opposition. He has that luxury now.

I think Wright would win the position because he doesn't give up the big play, but then again he doesn't make them.

BMac is a double edged sword, he's aggressive so he's going to give you more at times but give up more at times.

I don't think either of these corners in this poll should be a starter in the NFL. If I had to chose one it would be BMac.

I'm really shocked that anyone on this board would think Eric Wright is a quality corner. He not only covers poorly (Really stiff hips) but his tackling is terrible. If you can't cover than at least be a solid tackler. Vise versa would be appropriate as well. If you can't tackle at least be a lockdown guy, ala Dion Sanders.

At least BMac makes the tackle on a consistant basis.

Hey everybody, new to the board here.

I'm not enamored with either of the two.

Wright's tackling (or lack thereof) is painful to watch at times. Occasionally, he'll make a big play (the big INT at the end of the Giants game), but more often then not, he'll get beat/give up a ten yard cushion/fumble the ball after he picks it off. (I think this was against the Bungles.)

I don't think B-mac is much better either. His game against the Eagles yielded the huge return at the half, where he was stopped by Westbrook and so there was nothing gained on the play, and a pick six on the backup QB once the game was out of reach.

That being said, they're young players and may have some upside. Hopefully the Hood signing will pan out.

If the two were to duke it out?

I think Wright has the better tools and consistency but....

I think Bmac is way more competitive, tries harder, and is a straight up ballhawk, he played WR in college so you know he can catch, I think he has a high ceiling.

My choice is definitely bmac

Even a mediocre pass rush (which we haven't had) would help out both of them tremendously.

Aggressive only really works consistently when the QB has to make quick decisions because he's being hurried.

That's why you see Wright giving a 10 yard cushion. Because we had no pass rush.

As well, I wouldn't be surprised if the Tucker told him to do that.

Its kinda like a half-zone scheme. One CB is man-to-man and plays aggressive, while the other side plays zone with safety help.

That's why you see Wright giving a 10 yard cushion. Because we had no pass rush.

As well, I wouldn't be surprised if the Tucker told him to do that.

**insert nods in agreement smiley**

still, if he needed to he probably shouldn't have been starting.

Archived