THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Hue Jackson the answer?

stillmotion

Is Hue Jackson The Answer?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Is Hue Jackson The Answer?

• Yes, He just needs the right FO in place and an OC
    • No, He'd be better off acting as Fester on a remake of the TV sitcom, "The Addam's Family"

I'm asking in your opinion if y'all think Hue Jackson is the answer at HC. Jimmy said in the presser that Joe Thomas and the players seem to love him and Joe thinks he's the guy to turn things around. If we get a QB, do you think Hue can actually lead us to the playoffs? Hue said the first thing he asked for yesterday is that they have heat on the field so the players can get used to practice during playoff time. He also continued his whole Hue "I came here to win" Jackson speech about how he's going to turn things around. Jimmy said Hue will be here a LONG LONG TIME and Hue said how great it was to finally work with a "Football Guy".

The recent Dorsey hire seems promising but definitely sketchy.....

1.) Why was Sashi Brown a part of the GM hire search with Jimmy 4-6 weeks ago? Did he fumble a word and mean Hue was part of that when he said it?

2.) Dorsey has been around for 3-4 weeks already watching the players. Is that legal? Did Jimmy break an NFL rule by having the next GM in place without telling anyone? Can you secretly hire someone and then make it public weeks later? Don't you have to interview multiple people?

3.) Could Hue possibly not hire an OC on purpose to make the roster look worse so Sashi would get let go, and he could get his type of QB while we bail on Sashi's plan? Would he manipulate Jimmy to get his way that far, or is that just too outrageous of a possiblity

4.) Why was Dorsey fired? He seems like a great guy and was awesome for the Chiefs. Did he get along with Andy Reid? I heard it could've been over money, but I have no clue.

5.) Reporters said Sashi made the final picks and Depo provided lots of information. It could be possible Sashi wouldn't work with Hue to get him players that wouldn't agree with his "process". This could've been part of the reason we had such division between the coaching staff and FO.

6.) Was Sashi possibly asked to be demoted, or to have Dorsey as his boss and then asked to be let go? Why would he search for his successor? Jimmy said that and it seems like he has too much of an ego to hear it.

Jimmy said it best in that they've been bad owners, but I think Dorsey should have control over whether Hue stays next year. He'll find out if Hue is a snake or if he is a real deal coach. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

I'm asking in your opinion if y'all think Hue Jackson is the answer at HC. Jimmy said in the presser that Joe Thomas and the players seem to love him and Joe thinks he's the guy to turn things around. If we get a QB, do you think Hue can actually lead us to the playoffs? Hue said the first thing he asked for yesterday is that they have heat on the field so the players can get used to practice during playoff time. He also continued his whole Hue "I came here to win" Jackson speech about how he's going to turn things around. Jimmy said Hue will be here a LONG LONG TIME and Hue said how great it was to finally work with a "Football Guy".

3.) Could Hue possibly not hire an OC on purpose to make the roster look worse so Sashi would get let go, and he could get his type of QB while we bail on Sashi's plan? Would he manipulate Jimmy to get his way that far, or is that just too outrageous of a possiblity

4.) Why was Dorsey fired? He seems like a great guy and was awesome for the Chiefs. Did he get along with Andy Reid? I heard it could've been over money, but I have no clue.

5.) Reporters said Sashi made the final picks and Depo provided lots of information. It could be possible Sashi wouldn't work with Hue to get him players that wouldn't agree with his "process". This could've been part of the reason we had such division between the coaching staff and FO.

I also believe the players love Hue. I was all into getting an OC or someone to lesser his duties, as the locker room is with him and that's head coach's first job.

I think we will improve with an OC next year, and seizing offseason opportunities and draft picks, but I have my doubts on Hue because he hasn't been able to pull more than 1 win so far, and everyone here and in the media expected more of THIS VERY ROSTER. The coach has to work with what he has, not with the coulda-woulda-shouldas (idk if I said it in the correct order) of the offseason.

Every SB winning has its flaws, and the coach has to manage them.

3) I don't completely believe he didn't want to have an OC because he didn't want somebody to look bad. A guy who calls fantasy plays with 3 linemen with a team failing to execute the most simple plays looks to me like someone proudful who thinks he's the smartest guy around and can handle many different tasks at the same time. 

I also thought on the possibility of him trying to lose some games to mske Sashi look bad, but I don't want to get angry. I prefer not to think about that possibility.

4) I'd bet Andy Reid and Dorsey weren't in the same page. Andy has a lot of experience and quite success, probably he isn't the easiest coach to 'boss', he has a lot of weight (both metaphorically and literally, lol) in the teams he is in.

5) Probably player selection was the reason of the coach-GM dispute. Dealing two straight years with a bad roster is very difficult to handle and Hue thought he had enough. Anyway Haslam hasn't handled the conflict properly. Damn it, some weeks ago we were talking about what the meeting with Hue and the players was about, you have to be more subtle and diplomatic dealing that kind problems. I don't think everyone reporting separately to the owner is the solution either.

I'm going to give a pros and cons, then give some overall thoughts.

Pros:

1. Top candidate when hired who had the option to either take over one of several HC jobs that year or stay in Cincy as the heir apparent. He wanted to be here.

2. He does have a good track record working with QB's and maxing out their potential before coming to the Browns. He made Jason Campbell and Andy Dalton look like a pro bowlers.

3. The players love him. I don't know what they think after his most recent comments, but overall the players really believe in him. Compare the players statements to those they made when we had coaches like Mangini.

4. The players are overall still playing hard for him. They did last season and they are this season. I don't think this group has given up on winning games. I have heard plenty of people say this is a cowpoop argument, but I don't think so. 

Cons:

1. Not a good game manager.

2. Not maximizing the talent he does have by altering his playbook/game plans.

3. Has NOT maximized the potential of any QBs on this roster.

4. Over spending all last season and the beginning of this season excepting responsibility for the loses, he is now just giving excuse after excuse. 

5. Is obviously leaking info to the media, or knows who is on his coaching staff and he isn't doing Sheet to stop it. At the very least he is having private convo's with Silver and letting him publish that info at will via articles and tweets. 

Now I don't know if he is the answer or not. He has not left me feeling confident at all and honestly he deserves to be fired. My issue however is that I don't think we will entice even a remotely top talent to come in and coach for us. People forget he was a top coaching talent and people were honestly shocked we managed to entice him to take the job. If he is fired after 2 seasons we would likely be looking at the Shurmer/Chud/Petine hires of the past. Now if we let him coach 1 more year and he sucks, we will have at least given him 3 full years, which is a positive for future coaching candidates being interviewed. Along with that if our new GM does a good job this offseason but Hue under performs again, a new coaching candidate next year may view the franchise as a more promising destination. 

I think Hue needs to stay. And if he does actually hire an OC and gives us play calling duty, I would expect his game management to improve. 

1 hour ago, Harry Buffalo said:

Now I don't know if he is the answer or not.

Where I am as well... so I could not participate in the poll.

On-field I can, on balance, see my way to give him one more season, but...

1 hour ago, Harry Buffalo said:

5. Is obviously leaking info to the media,

This is the poison. We have been a very tight-lipped franchise for a while now... at least back thru the Pet regime. Very curious to see how this holds together in the face of of Hue's maneuverings both thru the Press and behind the scenes.

8 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

This is the poison. We have been a very tight-lipped franchise for a while now... at least back thru the Pet regime. Very curious to see how this holds together in the face of of Hue's maneuverings both thru the Press and behind the scenes

How do you feel about Hue, Depo, and Dorsey all reporting separately to Jimmy and Dee?

41 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

How do you feel about Hue, Depo, and Dorsey all reporting separately to Jimmy and Dee?

I hate it. I think this is the #1 reason I am so worried, because we know under this structure we haven't seen success. He needs to hire a team president or CEO and just step back. That doesn't mean he can't be in the building, know the players, coaches, front office. But the way he has everything set up where everyone answers to him and no one else, it makes it so when we lose, those sides jockey for favor to keep their job. If you have a linear structure all he needs to worry about is how his President is doing, who worries about how his GM is doing, who worries about how his coach is doing. 

Now they keep saying Hue is here, but they at least still have a chance to fire him and hire a guy picked my Doresy, which is a step in the right direction. Because they can say everything in the book they want, and we can speculate to the end of days on how Hue would do with a better roster, but Hue isn't Dorsey's guy. And next year, if it is bad, will still count against Doresy even though Hue isn't his guy and he will already have one foot in the grave. Its like we keep having this endless cycle of hiring a GM half way through a coaches life span, then a new coach halfway through the GMs life span. Even with Hue and Sashi, we hired Hue, then Sashi got promoted, then they looked at GM's and eventually didn't hire anyone. Thats kind of why I feel bad for Hue. I'm sure he came on board knowing analytics was going to be a big part of the front office, but you will never convince me he came on board knowing that Sashi was going to have final say over the roster. 

Hue may or may not be the answer, but its irrelevant. "Stability" is the answer to this franchise. It sounds ridiculous to say, but this org has been so badly mismanaged fir so long that multiple near zero win seasons are wut we have to go through. Players simply dont want to play in cleveland and stability is a major factor if not the biggest. 

At least offensively we're prob looking at minimal improvement if at all, next year. I mean unless our rookie qb is just soooo good hue has no choice but to start him. But is anyone here confortable with another rookie starting right away no matter who it might be? I dont care if andy luck was coming out he has to sit imo. We need a vet qb next year who's willing to come on a 1-2 year deal knowing he's there to allow our rookie to grow

Too early to tell. He hasn't had talent+experience combined on his team. Sashi was getting it for him. Now he's gone and more than likely we will dump many of Sashi's picks and replace them with guys that may be talented but who have no experience. Then Hue will get fired for not winning even though you still won't really be able to evaluate him because he still won't have the players. 

It's a great cycle. I look forward to everyone being gone by 2019.

3 hours ago, wargograw said:

Is this actually happening? Wow. That is hilariously bad.

That is what the process is. It's been happening that way all along. Hue reported to Jimmah separately from Stosh and depudpuller. There has never been a consensus opinion here. Been trying to say that since manqueer came to town on the back of Jim's homeless dude.

23 hours ago, stillmotion said:

7 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

That is what the process is. It's been happening that way all along. Hue reported to Jimmah separately from Stosh and depudpuller. There has never been a consensus opinion here. Been trying to say that since manqueer came to town on the back of Jim's homeless dude.

As others have said, the reporting set up is not ideal, but that's due primarily to Jimmah's track record when it comes to patience.

The above said, the structure while less than ideal had nothing to do with the process that had been in place the past two off-seasons. No one claimed a collaborative, consensus process existed under Farmer.

7 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

It is at least comforting to me that we have a GM now that actually spends time in a film room and studies tape on a player. 

Yeah... nothing like an executive doing the job of a scout... :rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

As others have said, the reporting set up is not ideal, but that's due primarily to Jimmah's track record when it comes to patience.

The above said, the structure while less than ideal had nothing to do with the process that had been in place the past two off-seasons. No one claimed a collaborative, consensus process existed under Farmer.

Yeah... nothing like an executive doing the job of a scout... :rolleyes:

I would call it an executive that actually knows what is expected and does it. Kinda like a general becomes a general because he gets things done. Stosh was a brown nose butt polisher...

11 hours ago, wargograw said:

Too early to tell. He hasn't had talent+experience combined on his team. Sashi was getting it for him. Now he's gone and more than likely we will dump many of Sashi's picks and replace them with guys that may be talented but who have no experience. Then Hue will get fired for not winning even though you still won't really be able to evaluate him because he still won't have the players. 

It's a great cycle. I look forward to everyone being gone by 2019.

Including you hopefully.

Option 3 for me please - Hue = Offensive Coordinator.

11 minutes ago, D Bone said:

If the question is: "What coach has lost 28 of his first 29 games as a Browns head coach?" -  then yes, Huey is the answer.  

Exactly...

He should be shown the door tonight.    Screw him.   Any one of us would be at worst...1 game worse as a HC then this loser.  

Just now, Mark O said:

Exactly...

He should be shown the door tonight.    Screw him.   Any one of us would be at worst...1 game worse as a HC then this loser.  

It really is amazing that the dude is still here....... I'm sitting here watching Pederson and McVay go at it and it makes it even more baffling. 

I'm still going incomplete.  I think it is really hard to evaluate a coach when the players don't seem to be very good.  If you are in the Tavern during the game you see people say Garrett stinks, Coleman stinks, Kizer stinks, Peppers stinks, Gonzales stinks, Shon Coleman stinks, Boddy-Calhoun stinks, on and on but at the very end Hue Jackson's fault.  It's the reverse of the political forum.  

I do think he deserves some blame because these players act awful Socky when the make one play for an 0-13 team but that seems to be the modern athlete.

At  This point, I’m having a hard time believing Hue can pull off wins in close games. Sure, the loss can’t be solely blamed on him, but he’s 1-9 in close late games. That can’t be on everyone else but him. If everything is improved, and we have better players and a QB, I’m not sure I can see him taking us to The playoffs. Most definitely can’t see it without an OC

9 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

At  This point, I’m having a hard time believing Hue can pull off wins in close games. Sure, the loss can’t be solely blamed on him, but he’s 1-9 in close late games. That can’t be on everyone else but him. If everything is improved, and we have better players and a QB, I’m not sure I can see him taking us to The playoffs. Most definitely can’t see it without an OC

I think anyone could say that a coach is the one that gets the best out of their players. A good coach is someone who makes the players that you considered bad look good, and the good great. Because that's the kind of thing you need to get a Superbowl. 

And I repeat myself, but I don't think Hue gets the best of his players. 

I was all in for continuity, but if Sashi is gone, then Hue, who in my opinion is more responsible for the current situation, might be better gone too. 

21 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

Exactly, Chip Kelly said one of the hallmarks of the NFL is that 45% of games are determined by 7 points or less. If Hue can't do that he shouldn't be coaching in the NFL especially with a two TD lead.

Archived