THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Hue Jackson the answer?

stillmotion

Is Hue Jackson The Answer?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Is Hue Jackson The Answer?

• Yes, He just needs the right FO in place and an OC
    • No, He'd be better off acting as Fester on a remake of the TV sitcom, "The Addam's Family"

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

C'mon so Kenny Britt's agent is the measuring stick?  He was pedestrian this season.  Hue would've thrown him the ball 15 times a game if he was any good.

Never said anything about a measuring stick...... just threw it out here. 

Hue came into the game with a fire under his butt... he clearly gameplanned well; however, when adjustments were made he reverted right back to his "old" self... cant finish a game from a playcalling perspective and can't handle pressure...

Love the postgame quote... "the players did exactly what we asked them to do" ... exactly why Hue is the problem...

17 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I want to see the young team have another year in the same system.

We haven't tried continuity for a long time. How much horse could it be?

WSS

Don't whine about the staff all season and then whine more that they're fired. Come on. You should be happy. The bums are gone, right?

7 hours ago, D Bone said:

It really is amazing that the dude is still here....... I'm sitting here watching Pederson and McVay go at it and it makes it even more baffling. 

Probably pimping Ben McAdoo last season too.

4 hours ago, D Bone said:

From Britt's Agent:

Capture.PNG

It's a critique of the fact that Hue keeps leaking to the media. Nothing more. I don't know how you guys aren't seeing that.

4 hours ago, thenew23 said:

Hue came into the game with a fire under his butt... he clearly gameplanned well; however, when adjustments were made he reverted right back to his "old" self... cant finish a game from a playcalling perspective and can't handle pressure...

Love the postgame quote... "the players did exactly what we asked them to do" ... exactly why Hue is the problem...

Or we need more experienced/better players?

11 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I would call it an executive that actually knows what is expected and does it. Kinda like a general becomes a general because he gets things done. Stosh was a brown nose butt polisher...

lol.... yeah... it's that easy being a general. Just "do stuff".... duh... Generals rise because they are good at getting others to get things done.

Sashi was an executive professional who ran an organization, a learning organization... and (hold onto your hat) from all indications he was running it well.

Look at the size of the organization that will be under Dorsey. It's functionality is his #1 job. The more he diverts his time to "scouting", the poorer will be his results. The more you hear things like "he's not organized" or the other things that cost him his job in KC.

9 hours ago, BaconHound said:

I'm still going incomplete.  I think it is really hard to evaluate a coach when the players don't seem to be very good.

Try this measure.... Is the team improving?

In particular in Hue's case you can ficus on the Offense since he is OC as well. However, when it comes to team discipline, or lack thereof, he is accountable for the entire team.

6 hours ago, Nero said:

I think anyone could say that a coach is the one that gets the best out of their players. A good coach is someone who makes the players that you considered bad look good, and the good great. Because that's the kind of thing you need to get a Superbowl.

Agree as long as both utlization and teaching are evaluated.

1 hour ago, wargograw said:

It's a critique of the fact that Hue keeps leaking to the media. Nothing more. I don't know how you guys aren't seeing that.

Yup... I thought it was a quality burn.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

lol.... yeah... it's that easy being a general. Just "do stuff".... duh... Generals rise because they are good at getting others to get things done.

Sashi was an executive professional who ran an organization, a learning organization... and (hold onto your hat) from all indications he was running it well.

Look at the size of the organization that will be under Dorsey. It's functionality is his #1 job. The more he diverts his time to "scouting", the poorer will be his results. The more you hear things like "he's not organized" or the other things that cost him his job in KC.

Try this measure.... Is the team improving?

In particular in Hue's case you can ficus on the Offense since he is OC as well. However, when it comes to team discipline, or lack thereof, he is accountable for the entire team.

Agree as long as both utlization and teaching are evaluated.

Right, just tell people what to do without knowing how to do it yourself....recipe for disaster

To answer your question...Is Hue Jackson the answer?: Yes...if the question was "Who is the worst coach in the NFL?" I can only hope that Dorsey sees and convinces Haslam that Hue is killing this team, and simply can't win with him as HC in spite of having adequate talent. Adequate....not good, but good enough to win yesterday, and at least 5 or 6 games. Williams should be fired too. Defensive genius?...whatever. He sucks.

Here's the thing, I can't think of too many mistakes Hue Jackson made yesterday. Was he perfect? No, but who is? Hue didn't miss the tackle on the fake punt, blow the coverage on the opening drive, miss the tackles on the punt return, drop the 3rd down pass (Njoku), blow the obvious pass interference call before half time (effing refs man), or throw the pick in overtime. 

Hue Jackson called his absolute best game yesterday, especially in the red zone. Like I've been saying for a few weeks, our best intermediate-deep pass is that seam route. Njoku, Duke, and obviously Josh are all adept at it, and Kizer has shown the ability to make that throw consistently. Hue Jackson called a new play in the red zone, a play I've been begging for in several posts, and he dialed up a gorgeous shovel pass to Duke. We got what I've been screaming for...an "easy touchdown". It was gorgeous man. And how about that play to Corey? Kizer sees the inside defender about a foot out of position and delivers a tough pass to Corey. 

Say whatever you want about whose fault this game is, but don't blame Hue. Blame Gregg, Njoku, Kizer, special teams, whoever. But Hue had control of this game. Even his challenge was correct, but didn't go his way. Maybe it wasn't WORTH challenging, but he was right. 

When players quit in the fourth quarter and allow a back up qb to come back and beat them, that's on the coach. I don't blame Kizer nearly as much as I blame Hue, and Greg Williams. How was the play calling AFTER the third quarter? We couldn't score another td or at least a field goal to put the game out of reach? Where was the perfect play calling then? I was a big fan of Hue's until recently. If a HC can win only 1 game of 28 with this team, he's a loser. He needs to go....the sooner, the better.

He's the answer to the question, who's the only HC to lead a team to back to back 0-13 starts in NFL history...so he's got that going for him.

He is now 9-36 as a HC in the NFL... 9 and fucking 36 and we should give him another year to do what?  See if he can finally get into double figures in the win column for his career??

20 hours ago, D Bone said:

If the question is: "What coach has lost 28 of his first 29 games as a Browns head coach?" -  then yes, Huey is the answer.  

The answer is yes too. If the question is “ who’s the ONLY coach in NFL history to have that record”

9 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Right, just tell people what to do without knowing how to do it yourself....recipe for disaster

Can you pick an argument and stick with it? Your original post was about how thrilled you are to have a GM who studies tape. That was what I addressed.

Now you switch to knowing how to do the discipline you manage. And, no, there is nothing wrong with that. But you also add "telling people what to do"... and there you go off the rails again.

Anyone, including you and me, could take the GM job and tell out scouts to "go scout". That is "what to do."  Telling the scouts how to scout? Different matter and not necessarily one you want your GM doing as in scouting you want different approaches... you want diverging opinions... you want different perspectives.

7 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

There is something wrong with a GM that studies film? Or is it better to study stat sheets and astrology charts?

At least, snark aside, you circled back to your original point.

No, there is nothing wrong with a GM who studies tape... if that tape is of say the top QB prospects in a draft class. It becomes an issue if he is also studying a Central Michigan OL being considered for a round 3 comp pick. It's a major problem if he's culling through 20 CBs to see who is the most promising UDFA.

But then it becomes about what he does with the opinion he forms from his tape study.

8 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Shouldn't that have a lot to do with the position coaches?

I'd guess that varies from FO to FO.

Certainly in season I'd expect very little involvement, but in Jan-April, I'd expect positional scouts to spend time with their staff counterparts. Especially early to help set Pro-Day travel plans and late to set up positional "Little Boards".

He is the right answer if the question is.............Who is the dumbest Maddafukka to ever coach in the NFL?

16 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

1) Anyone, including you and me, could take the GM job and tell out scouts to "go scout". That is "what to do."  Telling the scouts how to scout? Different matter and not necessarily one you want your GM doing as in scouting you want different approaches... you want diverging opinions... you want different perspectives.

No, there is nothing wrong with a GM who studies tape... if that tape is of say the top QB prospects in a draft class. It becomes an issue if he is also studying a Central Michigan OL being considered for a round 3 comp pick. It's a major problem if he's culling through 20 CBs to see who is the most promising UDFA.

But then it becomes about what he does with the opinion he forms from his tape study.

1) Tour, I'm not going to argue about "consensus" anymore, but from some reports, Haslam asked Sashi to do exactly that, bring another (experienced) voice into the room. Brown didn't want to upset his perfect process?  That I'm apparently not understanding somehow? 

Britt was obviously Sashi's "guy". Sashi gone- Britt gone, what else was going on that we don't know about? 

2) I just hope Dorsey can opinion us a franchise qb for once....  & as I mentioned in another thread, Kizer earned a 2018 roster spot in the Green Bay game...   Don't know who to blame but just another lousy FG and we have our first win.... 

5 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

Interesting that still, close to 40% of the people on this board think Hue is the answer.

I guarantee none of them know either way, they just dont want another redo on schemes. We cant bring in decent talent because we're constantly changing sht every year either on one side of the ball or both. 

Archived