THE BROWNS BOARD

Hue vs Pettine

LondonBrown

And how quickly the torches and pitchforks came out for Pettine.  The constant of this team over the past 10 years has been bad players but fans keep blaming the coaches.  So who is the hall of fame who the Browns lost over the last 10 years? Taylor Gabriel? TJ Ward? Travis Benjamin?  Jordan Cameron? Joe Haden?  Oh wait Jabaal Sheard played well for 2 years with the Patriots.  C'mon guys this isn't hard.

2 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

And how quickly the torches and pitchforks came out for Pettine.  The constant of this team over the past 10 years has been bad players but fans keep blaming the coaches.  So who is the hall of fame who the Browns lost over the last 10 years? Taylor Gabriel? TJ Ward? Travis Benjamin?  Jordan Cameron? Joe Haden?  Oh wait Jabaal Sheard played well for 2 years with the Patriots.  C'mon guys this isn't hard.

But I thought the FO was handing the coaches lots of young talent via the draft? 

Damn, I guess it's hard to pin point why the Browns are now 1-28 under the current rebuild....... I guess that's a positive? 

Pet got a raw deal.

Got saddled with a drunk midget for a QB.

Had the worst GM the Browns have had... maybe ever.

Got handed a team that just had a new coach the previous season...

And still had them competing in his first year.

Pet's biggest mistake was that he wouldn't take the Defensive over from his boy O'Neil. And that cost him... big time.

I was all for giving him more time. 

But I'm not sure I can give Hue the same...

14 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

I thought Pettine should've gotten more time.    I'm done with Huey Cueball. 

1 minute ago, Mark O said:

I thought Pettine should've gotten more time.    I'm done with Huey Cueball. 

Again for what?  Having terrible players.  I don't know how so many fans have been convinced that the complete lack of talent in this franchise is on the coaches.  Where are the home grown players that left the last 10 years we are really regretting?  I'm as frustrated as the next guy but this isn't Atlanta where Shanahan leaves and your QB goes from MVP to mediocre.

1 minute ago, BaconHound said:

Again for what?  Having terrible players.  I don't know how so many fans have been convinced that the complete lack of talent in this franchise is on the coaches.  Where are the home grown players that left the last 10 years we are really regretting?  I'm as frustrated as the next guy but this isn't Atlanta where Shanahan leaves and your QB goes from MVP to mediocre.

I think he's a bad coach.   I watch every game and I think is decision making is poor.  I think the game is moving too fast for him to be calling plays and be the head coach of the team.  That's why he wastes his time outs in nearly every single game.   The only positive that I see for him is that the team hasn't quit on him.  But that's hardly a reason to keep a guy who has the worst 2 year record in NFL history.

Just now, Mark O said:

I think he's a bad coach.   I watch every game and I think is decision making is poor.  I think the game is moving too fast for him to be calling plays and be the head coach of the team.  That's why he wastes his time outs in nearly every single game.   The only positive that I see for him is that the team hasn't quit on him.  But that's hardly a reason to keep a guy who has the worst 2 year record in NFL history.

That shovel pass today was a great call.  When the offense has caught passes, thrown accurate balls and blocked they've scored.  The offense has looked better with the addition of Gordon.

Just now, stillmotion said:

Nothing is Hue’s fault. If he admits everything is his fault and keeps saying he came here to win and hasn’t done that yet, then fire his butt. He’s 1-28. 1 and freaking 28. There’s a chance you and I could win one game out of 29. This is absurd, and I can’t take it anymore.

Again, is this the political discussion forum?  It's not his fault entirely but he's not blameless either.  The whole coaching staff has a responsibility to get guys ready to play and out them in a position to be successful.  Since I think it's a mistake to fire him I'm not saying he's done everything correct.  When this team executes they don't look horrible but they don't execute.  If I were a Falcons fan I'd be upset about coaching.

4 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

Again, is this the political discussion forum?  It's not his fault entirely but he's not blameless either.  The whole coaching staff has a responsibility to get guys ready to play and out them in a position to be successful.  Since I think it's a mistake to fire him I'm not saying he's done everything correct.  When this team executes they don't look horrible but they don't execute.  If I were a Falcons fan I'd be upset about coaching.

Yeah but you’re making excuses again for him. 1-9 in close 4th quarter games is on him. We hold our coaches to historically low standards. 

What do you think Vince Lombardi would say when his pot smoking/dealing, often suspended WR, catches his first TD pass after missing almost 3 years due being suspended runs to the sidelines and puts on sunglasses?  I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be nice catch.  I understand it's a different era but it's a different era.  Coleman and Gordon are rocking shades on 0-13 team like they are at the U.  If I were the coach I'd put an end to it and then the players would get me fired.  I digress but I think it's hard enough to coach a talented team with depth but even harder to coach a bunch of bums.

3 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

Yeah but you’re making excuses again for him. 1-9 in close 4th quarter games is on him. We hold our coaches to historically low standards. 

I blame coaches for losses when they make the bad call.  Butch Davis cost the Browns a playoff win.  Pete Carroll and Dan Quinn lost Super Bowls because of calls.  I don't see the same issues on this team.  In today's game there was a point in the 3rd quarter where our bend but don't break defense was hurting us but if you give up 21 points a game you are a top 14 NFL Defense.  I'm a big believer in complete football.  If your offense fails to move the ball it puts pressure on your defense.  When your defense can't stop anyone it puts your offense in a "pass mode" which makes you one dimensional.  This team is shaky on both sides of the ball but I'm one of the few that views this as a lack of talent.  If I was coaching Mercer and they put me in the Big 10 I'd expect to get destroyed a lot and lose close games to bad conference teams.

2 hours ago, BaconHound said:

I blame coaches for losses when they make the bad call.  Butch Davis cost the Browns a playoff win.  Pete Carroll and Dan Quinn lost Super Bowls because of calls.  I don't see the same issues on this team.  In today's game there was a point in the 3rd quarter where our bend but don't break defense was hurting us but if you give up 21 points a game you are a top 14 NFL Defense.  I'm a big believer in complete football.  If your offense fails to move the ball it puts pressure on your defense.  When your defense can't stop anyone it puts your offense in a "pass mode" which makes you one dimensional.  This team is shaky on both sides of the ball but I'm one of the few that views this as a lack of talent.  If I was coaching Mercer and they put me in the Big 10 I'd expect to get destroyed a lot and lose close games to bad conference teams.

I think you severely underestimate the importance of coaching in football.  It's notb1 or 2 plays, or managing time outs... it is everything... 

HC and QB are the MOST important positions in an NFL organization...

7 hours ago, medicineman said:

Did we stop throwing to Gordon in the 2nd half? 

Technically we stopped at halftime... which is right and proper.

We never started throwing to him in the 2nd half. ;)

4 hours ago, thenew23 said:

I think you severely underestimate the importance of coaching in football.  It's notb1 or 2 plays, or managing time outs... it is everything... 

HC and QB are the MOST important positions in an NFL organization...

And who hires the HC and picks the QB?

GM trumps all...

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Technically we stopped at halftime... which is right and proper.

We never started throwing to him in the 2nd half. ;)

I couldn't watch the game properly yesterday (had some non american football fans around). Do you think Gordon is not in game shape yet and that's why it is proper not to throw to him in second half?

10 hours ago, Nero said:

I couldn't watch the game properly yesterday (had some non american football fans around). Do you think Gordon is not in game shape yet and that's why it is proper not to throw to him in second half?

I think he definitely has faded physically in his two games so far, but even fresh he hasn't shown any 50/50 ball proficiency, let alone the dominance of WRs like Dez Bryant.

I'm to the point now where I am trying hard to remember this ever being part of his game... and so far I'm coming up empty.

3 hours ago, dawg2fan said:

Pettine didn't have a team full of rookies to deal with.  

Interesting comment...

My gut is telling me that Pet would have taken our 2017 roster over either of the ones he saw... and that's even considering the 4-3 bias of our rostered front 7 players... which once you stand up Garrett in the role formerly known as Kruger, isn't all that biased...

19 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I think he definitely has faded physically in his two games so far, but even fresh he hasn't shown any 50/50 ball proficiency, let alone the dominance of WRs like Dez Bryant.

I'm to the point now where I am trying hard to remember this ever being part of his game... and so far I'm coming up empty.

Interesting comment...

My gut is telling me that Pet would have taken our 2017 roster over either of the ones he saw... and that's even considering the 4-3 bias of our rostered front 7 players... which once you stand up Garrett in the role formerly known as Kruger, isn't all that biased...

I can't disagree, but can you truly say if he took over our 2017 roster, he wouldn't be 0-16 or 1-15?

1 hour ago, dawg2fan said:

I can't disagree, but can you truly say if he took over our 2017 roster, he wouldn't be 0-16 or 1-15?

If Pettine had the roster, no, I do not believe we would be as bad as we are now.   That is not to say he was a good coach...he just wasn't as bad, seemingly, as what we have now.

Archived